The Football Thread

Labuyo

word on the campfire is that mourinho wants drogba at inter badly. he is willing to sell crespo, adriano, and mario balotelli just to get drogba.

crespo, 34, is on his twilight years so he's not a big loss (real madrid, with rvn out for the year, might be interested on the proven world class striker).

crespo is out of the equation bec Madrid will buy a player that can qualify for the Champions League. word out of Bernabeu is that the team is close to signing 2 young attacking players, but there is no leak yet on who those might be.

the leading names are: Mauro Zarate (Lazio), Amr Zaki (Wigan), Angel Di Maria (Benfica) and Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Ajax)

the latter two being the favorites. but with calderon, who knows?

crespo is out of the equation bec Madrid will buy a player that can qualify for the Champions League. word out of Bernabeu is that the team is close to signing 2 young attacking players, but there is no leak yet on who those might be.

the leading names are: Mauro Zarate (Lazio), Amr Zaki (Wigan), Angel Di Maria (Benfica) and Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Ajax)

the latter two being the favorites. but with calderon, who knows?

another name i heard being sprung around is carlos tevez

sevilla 0 barcelona 3

in its first big test, the blaugrana come away with a solid win against a very good sevilla side. sevilla had the best defence in la liga and it showed in a very even first half. barca were lucky to lead 1-0 at halftime, courtesy of an excellent opportunistic strike from eto'o. kanoute had a decent shout for a penalty, plus he hit the bar when it was harder to miss from 6 yards out.

second half was all messi. two wonderful goals from the best player in the world. even the sevilla fans had to stand up and applaud the argentinian maestro.

only cause for concern was the performance of gerard pique. the lumbering defender is too slow, often being caught out by fabiano and kanoute. good thing marquez was there to clean up. we need a left back badly so puyol can go back to the center. zhirkov or lahm maybe?

getafe 3 real madrid 1

i know this is rubbing salt in the wound, but real madrid should have lost by 5. the rumours about biased officiating for the royal team of madrid is true. there were 3 clear penalties against madrid which were inexplicably not given. even a blatant two handed push by pepe on the back of uche who was one on one with casillas was ignored. incredible!

Edited by damaso

wahahahaha!!! my prophecy came true!!! panalo manutd against mancity 1-0; rooney's 100th goal for the club and arsenal beat chelsea 2-1 at stamford bridge pa; gunnars come from behind with 2 goals from van persie :)..5pts na lang lamang ng chelsea pati liverpool pero they still have a game to play; go manutd!!! :)

is sneijder playing or injured siya? when he was in the heart of the midfield for real; they were playing great..

what is up with arsenal? brilliant one week (against man utd), awful the next (against aston villa), and when they look down and out, shows fighting spirit to beat mighty chelsea.

the biggest difference between messi and ronaldo is how the opposition fans view them. messi was applauded by sevilla fans, while ronaldo was booed every time he had the ball against man city. and cron was just asking to be sent off: after bringing down swp from behind for a deserved yellow, he claps sarcastically at the referee - the ref did not look happy after that.

liverpool against west ham coming up. we've lost el nino (again) to a hamstring injury but gerrard is back to his barnstorming best. with the chelsea slip-up, here's to liverpool moving to the top of the premiership tomorrow!!

i think ronaldo should try out for the portugal volleyball national team. good leap. will make a good blocker.

liked the tony adams vs paul ince thriller. cameras were focusing on the two instead of the game.

cant wait for gerrard to be manager one day for the kops. hel become the next dalgish.

4am later. geez. i hate monday games.

hehehehehehe talagang panay ang tira nyo kay cristiano ah; i agree antanga nung ginawa nya tsk tsk tsk suspended pa for the next game but he is still a very good player pero he can still improve a lot (bawasan ang diving at ang star complex :D)..pang-asar lang ha? sa mga haters ni cristiano hehehehe

Ronaldo wins European footballer of the year award

PARIS (AFP) - Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo won the European Footballer of the Year Award here on Tuesday.

The 23-year-old Portuguese star is the first from his country to win the coveted Ballon D'Or award, which is presented by 'France Football' magazine, since Luis Figo in 2000.

His award - which he has widely spoken about having said in the last week that not only is he the best footballer in the world but also the second and third best - comes on the back of exceptional performance for his club side last season.

He scored a remarkable 42 times in 49 matches as United secured a memorable league and European Cup double.

Barcelona forward Lionel Messi came second and Liverpool striker Fernando Torres was third in the vote. wahahahaha sinong 2nd at 3rd?!?! joke only :)

*additional info:

Ballon d'Or

Previously known as the European Footballer of the Year award and presented only to those playing for clubs in Europe, the Ballon d'Or is now open to players around the world.

Last five winners:

2007 – Kaka

2006 – Fabio Cannavaro

2005 – Ronaldinho

2004 – Andriy Shevchenko

2003 – Pavel Nedved

Other winners from English clubs:

2001 – Michael Owen (Liverpool)

1968 – George Best (United)

1965 – Bobby Charlton (United)

1964 – Denis Law (United)

1956 – Stanley Matthews (Blackpool)

katuwa tlga ang EPL; walang nagdodominate; all of the top 4 are slipping up; liverpool only managing a goalless draw against west ham hehehe di na nman nagcapitalize si rafa on the slip-ups of the other teams chasing for the title hehehehe football is the best tlga!!!...

ducky, i really thought mananalo kayo against the gunnars, sinuwerte na nman sila hehehe ayos lang yun, sa amin si nasri sinuwerte; sa inyo si van persie naman hehehehe :P

oo nga pangit yung manchester derby redshirt pero ayos lang yun; panalo nman tayo eh hehehe go manutd!!!!

Edited by _eRon_

for the haters hehehehehehe :P

Charlton: Ronaldo is United's best ever

Sir Bobby Charlton paid newly-crowned European Footballer of the Year Cristiano Ronaldo the ultimate compliment by hailing him as the best player in Manchester United's history. Ronaldo became the first United hero to lift the prestigious Ballon d'Or for 40 years after being confirmed as the overwhelming winner last night, and will receive the award at a gala ceremony in Paris on Sunday. The 23-year-old, who scored 42 goals last season as United won the Premier League and Champions League, can now take his rightful place alongside Old Trafford legends and fellow former winners Denis Law (1964), Charlton (1966) and George Best (1968). But Charlton said Ronaldo can lay claim to being the most gifted United player ever because he is quicker and stronger than Best, who has long been regarded as their brightest star. "It was paradise watching George play, just as it is now with Ronaldo," said Charlton. "The difference is that Ronaldo is stronger and faster."

David McDonnell, Daily Mirror

Real Madrid agree deal for striker Huntelaar

Spanish champions Real Madrid have confirmed Ajax forward Klaas Jan Huntelaar will join the club in January.

GettyImages

The Real deal: Klass Jan Huntelaar

The 25-year-old, who has long been linked with a move to Madrid, will sign a deal with the capital club until June 2013 subject to passing a medical.

According to the Ajax website, Huntelaar will join Madrid on January 2 for an initial 20million euros (£17m), rising to a potential 27million euros (£23m).

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...ope&cc=4716

magaling ba tlga si huntelaar? dami kasi nagsasabi na he's overrated :)..good in the air ba? can he shoot with both feet? is he better than berbatov? (dami magrereact sa tanong na to hehehehe)..good signing by real madrid; i think they really lack depth at the forward position right now due to the injury to RVN..

magaling ba tlga si huntelaar? dami kasi nagsasabi na he's overrated :)..good in the air ba? can he shoot with both feet? is he better than berbatov? (dami magrereact sa tanong na to hehehehe)..good signing by real madrid; i think they really lack depth at the forward position right now due to the injury to RVN..

Imagine Van Nistelrooij and Zizou had a child....

That's Klass. 'They say he's over rated since they don't get to see him play. I mean Ajax always chokes in European competitions and nobody watches Edervise.

Can't compare him to berbatov since he's more of a walcott/a. johnson (minus the physicality of AJ) style of player. for me he is. he likes to move arround with the ball unlike rudd and dimitar who usually need supply to score...

Edited by redshirt

ah ok, maybe i can finally see him play once he's in real madrid :)..

manutd is in the semi-final of the carling cup, after beating blackburn, 5-3, carlos tevez scoring 4 goals for the red devils :)..i think sir alex should start tevez & rooney up front against sunderland this weekend; just to see if its better than starting rooney with berba; the triumvate of tevez, rooney & cristiano won us the double last season; it can't be too bad to try it again, right?:P..

roy keane quits sunderland; weird decision by keane; he developed this squad from the championship up to the EPL; bringing in players like malbranque, chimbonda & most notably djibril cisse to sunderland; i really liked how keane molded this team, too bad their recent results were bad prompting keane to leave, i think he may not have been receiving the support he wanted from the board but who knows really? :P..

is sneijder playing or injured siya? when he was in the heart of the midfield for real; they were playing great..

eto lang naman ang injured sa amin: Gabriel Heinze, Pepe, Wesley Sneijder, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Mahamadou Diarra, Miguel Torres and Ruben de la Red

even huntelaar is injured at the moment. :upside: but it was a good signing, now we need 3 more players. :sleepysmiley03:

madrid is starting to look like the netherlands national team.. :unsure:

Edited by bubuy
magaling ba tlga si huntelaar? dami kasi nagsasabi na he's overrated :)..good in the air ba? can he shoot with both feet?

watch this.. YOU decide is he's better with the right foot or the left foot.. ;) seriously, i diehard ManUtd fan like redshirt wouldnt covet him if he wasnt any good..

bad news for madrid, looks like barca is close to signing benzema themselves.. :angry:

Edited by bubuy