The Football Thread

Labuyo

making Alan Shearer the manager of Newcastle United will be another mistake in a series of many mistakes by the board at Tyneside; i mean can't they make the decisions for themselves? pick a great coach who knows how to get good players and can make tactical decisions to win games; for me they should get Jose Mourinho; i'm not kidding, if they get him & let him pick the squad he wants, he can resurrect the Toons, just look at what he did with Porto & Chelsea, right?..

Cristiano Ronaldo & Wayne Rooney are the best decisions Fergie did after the post Treble era; Tevez was just a bonus hehehe..what ManUtd need right now is a midfielder who knows how to play midfield; Carrick is just not good enough, he is so inconsistent & Hargreaves is always injured (if only he wasn't injured so much; ManUtd could've been better with him in the positin); the defense & attack are great already; what they need is a holding midfielder who can create, score & can hold the defense with hard tackles (i.e. Roy Keane :D)..Go ManUtd!!:)

what ManUtd need right now is a midfielder who knows how to play midfield; Carrick is just not good enough, he is so inconsistent & Hargreaves is always injured (if only he wasn't injured so much; ManUtd could've been better with him in the positin); the defense & attack are great already; what they need is a holding midfielder who can create, score & can hold the defense with hard tackles (i.e. Roy Keane :D)..Go ManUtd!!:)

Only Gattuso fits the bill.

fergie is still epl's standard any epl manager or other league managers should emulate. 20 years of ups and downs with more ups and still counting is still the gold standard worldwide. he certainly has his faults and some of his signings aren't always spot-on but his ability to spot talent and transformed them into world-class caliber, resurrect his team's standings and consistently performed throughout these years cannot be tarnished. the rest, may have their moments but it needs consistency of results with impressive displays on the pitch will be necessary for managers match him. thus even his opponents respect him.

wenger most probably follows fergie in this regard.

what about the others? benitez needs to duplicate his past successes with valencia in liverpool in english soil. he had partly achieved it with champion's league victories. he only needs to win the league title a couple of times to achieve that. i say he is not good because a manager is measured how his team performs on the pitch in each match and its based with how he selects his team and its certainly affected by how he rotates his players. also, he has some glaring mistakes in tactics in some matches- like the champions league final in istanbul where he let kaka run amok- he finally corrected it when he introduced dietmar in front of his defense and won it.

mourinho? i would like to see whether he can again achieve his feats with porto when he has less talent in his disposal unlike in chelsea where he has ibrahimovic money to bankroll world-class players. unfortunately, i doubt it if he can spot talent and transform him into world-class caliber the way wenger and fergie do it since he prefers to buy established players. i wouldn't agree though with ibrahimovic's interference and i have no doubts of the special one being a winner- he certainly is.

Cristiano Ronaldo & Wayne Rooney are the best decisions Fergie did after the post Treble era; Tevez was just a bonus hehehe..what ManUtd need right now is a midfielder who knows how to play midfield; Carrick is just not good enough, he is so inconsistent & Hargreaves is always injured (if only he wasn't injured so much; ManUtd could've been better with him in the positin); the defense & attack are great already; what they need is a holding midfielder who can create, score & can hold the defense with hard tackles (i.e. Roy Keane :D)..Go ManUtd!!:)

First, Roy Keane can never be replaced. Fergie once claimed that Roy was and will probably remain as his greatest signing. In a lot of ways, Roy is Fergie on the pitch- combative and wouldn't back down like his manager.

As for the holding midfield role- there are probably 5 who can be considered world class- the rest are on the rise or past their prime like Makelele and Viera. Gatusso is said to be thinking of retiring and the fast pace of the English game wouldn't be fitting for an old warrior. Carrick is more of a deep/central playmaker, only he pales in comparison to Pirlo- who is the undisputed master in this position at present. And even Carrick couldnt match the evergreen Scholes. At present, probably Essien, Mascherano, Cambiasso, Gatusso, Gilberto Silva are shoo-ins for the defensive midfielder. Rising stars would probably include Flamini, Diarra, and a host of others from Argentina and Africa. Ballack could have been a good option but considering how he plays right now for Chelsea it wouldn't be a good idea. Maybe you have better ideas...

Lastly, i agree that C. Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney are fergies best signings in the post treble era. Theyre not the finished products though. C. Ronaldo often disappears and at times barely influences the results of the biggest games- thats why he lost the player trophy to kaka. (he is benign compared to riquelme though- who seems to disappear entirely). And wayne rooney needs to mature more and learn to restrain himself like Roy Keane. Roy did play like a rabid dog on the pitch but had since learn to restrain from outright maiming his opponents. Rooney can do something like that or he will frequently get shoved around with red cards.

i cant help this but...

has anyone seen alexander pato play in ac milan's win against napoli?

ive first seen him against barcelona in the world club championships final and i thought that he will later (maybe sooner) replace ronaldo and lead el selecao's frontline. Puyol and Marquez can barely contain the Duck especially with his pace and trickery.. and although he failed to score in that match, he was a constant threat for Internacional and was instrumental in making that only goal....

if only Gattuso & Pirlo played for ManUtd hehehehe...:)

AC Milan fan here. Its a good thing Gattuso is noticed. very silent but effective player, a bit rough on the edges, i agree.

But heck, he had c. ronaldo in trouble during the champions league match-up the last time around.

I can still remember the announcer saying " Kaka returns to haunt manchester united once again" right after scoring a stunning goal against Man U.

In a lot of ways, Roy is Fergie on the pitch- combative and wouldn't back down like his manager.

and then some.

As for the holding midfield role- there are probably 5 who can be considered world class- the rest are on the rise or past their prime like Makelele and Viera. Gatusso is said to be thinking of retiring and the fast pace of the English game wouldn't be fitting for an old warrior. Carrick is more of a deep/central playmaker, only he pales in comparison to Pirlo- who is the undisputed master in this position at present. And even Carrick couldnt match the evergreen Scholes. At present, probably Essien, Mascherano, Cambiasso, Gatusso, Gilberto Silva are shoo-ins for the defensive midfielder. Rising stars would probably include Flamini, Diarra, and a host of others from Argentina and Africa. Ballack could have been a good option but considering how he plays right now for Chelsea it wouldn't be a good idea. Maybe you have better ideas...

I like this guy form Dinamo Zagreb forgot was his name was. His quite a hard man too his like a holding MF but he can score goals too!

Lastly, i agree that C. Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney are fergies best signings in the post treble era. Theyre not the finished products though. C. Ronaldo often disappears and at times barely influences the results of the biggest games- thats why he lost the player trophy to kaka. (he is benign compared to riquelme though- who seems to disappear entirely). And wayne rooney needs to mature more and learn to restrain himself like Roy Keane. Roy did play like a rabid dog on the pitch but had since learn to restrain from outright maiming his opponents. Rooney can do something like that or he will frequently get shoved around with red cards.

Rooney needs anger management while C. Ronaldo needs to lessen the cheekyness or his going to get hurt.

i cant help this but...

has anyone seen alexander pato play in ac milan's win against napoli?

ive first seen him against barcelona in the world club championships final and i thought that he will later (maybe sooner) replace ronaldo and lead el selecao's frontline. Puyol and Marquez can barely contain the Duck especially with his pace and trickery.. and although he failed to score in that match, he was a constant threat for Internacional and was instrumental in making that only goal....

Pato is not that good IMHO.

I am afraid of Bojan! He is a force to recon with at age 17! And he's an FCB player you lot now how much I dislike that club along with Liverpool.

Pato is not that good IMHO.

I am afraid of Bojan! He is a force to recon with at age 17! And he's an FCB player you lot now how much I dislike that club along with Liverpool.

its true- its too early to tell when it comes to pato- both kids (pato and bojan) show promise though so it bids well for their respective clubs. i havent seen bojan play except in fifa2007 :thumbsupsmiley:

btw, the season is already past halfway, who for you guys are the biggest bust signings in clubs for this season?

for me its robben- people say he is good- some claims that he is even better than c. ronaldo- heck, even fergie wanted to sign him until chelsea beat him for his signature. now that i thought about how things are especially with his current situation with real madrid- fergie was lucky he lost him and chelsea is even luckier when they were able to get rid of him. now, he is in real madrid's treatment table as always...

elow there!! im jelloatad, a newbie here... Well im hoping that Barca and Arsenal/ManU will face @ UEFA Champions League. A quite interesting match: Real Madrid-ManU. I cant wait for the knock-out final stages....

yeah Id like a MANU vs REAL match too. Id pay to see that. Pero nung nasa REAL pa si Becks I would have enjoyed it more.

Every season may 2 na ganyan ang MANU vs REAL ones in a blue moon lang.

Yes I know but it would really help it rub into Arsene and Arsenals fanbots face that they are not the best team in the world haha

Real Madrid don't faze me much anymore since there really quite this season as much as say Arsenal where they are hitting at there peak and the reason why the final would be good coz the rivalry is there.

Every season may 2 na ganyan ang MANU vs REAL ones in a blue moon lang.
Yes I know but it would really help it rub into Arsene and Arsenals fanbots face that they are not the best team in the world haha

Real Madrid don't faze me much anymore since there really quite this season as much as say Arsenal where they are hitting at there peak and the reason why the final would be good coz the rivalry is there.

I see.