The Football Thread

Labuyo

may sense ba ang confed cup???

not really. it's a dress rehearsal for next year's world cup, but hosting 8 teams is a huge difference from hosting 32 teams. also, i've seen brazil's games and some of them look dead tired (who can blame them after a long grueling season with their domestic leagues). adriano was hardly running against japan. imagine what his condition will be for next year's world cup. no breaks for almost 3 years! fifa should just scrap this competition and give the players a rest.

a south american derby... and it will be another superclassico...

no surprises in the confed cup: final will be argentina vs. brazil

anyway... french ligue 1 champs olympique lyonnais has signed besiktas jk forward john carew... the norwegian international had also played for rosenborg bk and as roma... he is the third player lyon acquired this summer after french international midfielder beniot pedretti from olympique marseilles and sylvain monsoreau from fc sochaux...

portuguese superliga ud leiria midfielder hugo cunha has died at the age of 28... cunha suddenly collapsed during a casual game of football with friends... the barreiro-born player suffered from a suspected cardio-respiratory arrest... the same heart ailment that claimed the life of cameroon midfielder marc vivien foe during their confederations' cup game against colombia almost two years ago... in that game, foe suddenly collapsed in the middle of the pitch in the 71st minute... and like cunha, foe was also 28...

both died while playing the game they loved... :cry:

Edited by the_electrified_one

confed cup final thrashing:

brazil 4 argentina 1

adriano again the star (just like in the copa america) scoring spectacular goals. the question is: can adriano play alongside ronaldo? both are thru-the-middle strikers with very similar styles. robinho, being a wide player with amazing dribble skills, looks more compatible with adriano. wonder who will be the forward pairing for next year's world cup...

from uefa.com...

Chelsea FC forward Mateja Kezman has joined Club Atlético de Madrid for €9m after agreeing terms and passing a medical in the Spanish capital today.

Kezman moved to Chelsea for €7.5m last summer after scoring 105 goals in four seasons with PSV Eindhoven, but never fully settled at Stamford Bridge. The highlight of his stay in England was scoring the extra-time winner in the English League Cup final defeat of Liverpool FC.

Cagliari Calcio captain Gianfranco Zola has announced his retirement from professional football, six days before his 39th birthday.

The forward played for SSC Napoli and Parma FC in Italy before moving to Chelsea FC in 1996 for €6.5m. Voted the greatest player in Chelsea's history, Zola scored the winning goal in the 1998 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup final and lifted two FA Cups with the Londoners prior to returning to his native Sardinia in 2003.

fc internazionale striker christian vieri had already parted ways with the milan squad... and joins rival ac milan... vieri joins striker marek jankulovski (udinese calcio), midfielder johan vogel (psv eindhoven), and goalkeeper dimitrios eleftheropoulos (messina peloro)

real madrid's argentinian midfielder santiago solari joins fc internazionale... while countryman hernan crespo will be back in stamford bridge...

fifa rankings...

1. brazil

2. Czech Rep

3. Argentina

4. Netherlands

5. France

6. Mexico

7. England

8. Portugal

9. Spain

10. USA

*Korea is number 20, while Host Germany is in 21st. Italy is ranked 11th.

rating proceedure

Taken into consideration for the ranking are all international-A match results over a time span of the last eight years:

-World Cup finals matches

-World Cup preliminary matches

-FIFA Confederations Cup matches

-Continental championship final matches

-Continental championship preliminary matches

-Friendly matches

The ranking list is produced by a computer program which assigns a team points for every match, according to clearly defined criteria. The factors taken into consideration are:

-Winning, drawing and losing

-Number of goals

-Home or away match

-Importance of the match (multiplication factor)

-Regional strength (multiplication factor)

For each team only the seven best results per year are given full weighting. Results from the past are given progressively less weighting year by year until after eight years they are dropped completely. In this way current success is rated more highly than past results.

it is a shocker... vieira is perhaps the best defensive midfielder today... he ends his 9-year stint with the london-based squad without any bad feelings with arsene wegner nor with the team and hopes to have a new and exciting challenge with juventus... the transfer fee was around €20m...

perhaps the coming of aliaksandr hleb from vfb stuttgart prompted arsenal to let go of vieira...

i can't believe arsenal sold their captain, partick vieira, to juventus. isn't he the heart and soul of the team?

Liverpool is off to a good start this season as Stven Gerrard scores a hat-trick in a Champions League qualifying match. Fans must have been relieved to see their captain stay on with the Reds.

Now that Arsenal has lost Patrick Viera, and is sure to lose Robert Pires, things don't look as bright for the Gunners this season. It seems that Man U is the biggest threat to Chealsea's title defense. Man U still need to sign one more quality midfielder (hopefully Michael Ballack) for it to up their chances this year. Still, the Red Devils look hungry this year, witht the four Rs (Ruud, Rooney, Ronaldo, Rio) leading the way. Now if only Rio and his stupid agent would sign the new contract offered them.

just read an article awhile ago regarding liverpool's opponent - total network solutions fc... the team is based on the welsh village of llansantffraid... with only a population 1,200... and whose average crowd is 333...

galatasaray is really keen on signing pires...

no offense to the manchester united fans here... i think that the red devils are huge underachievers... every year they kept on sporting one of the best lineups in the europe... and they can barely make it to or pass the round of 16...

Liverpool is off to a good start this season as Stven Gerrard scores a hat-trick in a Champions League qualifying match.  Fans must have been relieved to see their captain stay on with the Reds.

Now that Arsenal has lost Patrick Viera, and is sure to lose Robert Pires, things don't look as bright for the Gunners this season.  It seems that Man U is the biggest threat to Chealsea's title defense.  Man U still need to sign one more quality midfielder (hopefully Michael Ballack) for it to up their chances this year.  Still, the Red Devils look hungry this year, witht the four Rs (Ruud, Rooney, Ronaldo, Rio) leading the way.  Now if only Rio and his stupid agent would sign the new contract offered them.

i think it is too early to make predictions... especially that the transfer window has yet to close this august...

What team do you think will capture the  Champions League after the off season trades?

damaso @ Jul 15 2005, 03:07 AM)

i can't believe arsenal sold their captain, partick vieira, to juventus. isn't he the heart and soul of the team?

with the loss of vieira, i think the chances of arsenal winning the epl again ang progressing in the group stages of the champions league are slim..damaso, you're right to say that he is the heart&soul of the team..can hleb fill the void of the midfield due to vieira's departure? we'll see once the season starts..

Rookie07  Jul 14 2005, 08:38 PM 

Liverpool is off to a good start this season as Stven Gerrard scores a hat-trick in a Champions League qualifying match. Fans must have been relieved to see their captain stay on with the Reds.

Now that Arsenal has lost Patrick Viera, and is sure to lose Robert Pires, things don't look as bright for the Gunners this season. It seems that Man U is the biggest threat to Chealsea's title defense. Man U still need to sign one more quality midfielder (hopefully Michael Ballack) for it to up their chances this year. Still, the Red Devils look hungry this year, witht the four Rs (Ruud, Rooney, Ronaldo, Rio) leading the way. Now if only Rio and his stupid agent would sign the new contract offered them.

i hope ManU signs Michael Ballack, he'll be a great boost for the epl/champions league hopes of ManU..he is a defensive midfielder, a great leader, and he can score goals..his price is about 8-15million pounds, i hope they can get him, he's a suitable replacement for Keane..rio should sign already, they're in the process of fixing his contract..

skeezo  Yesterday, 02:27 AM 

What team do you think will capture the Champions League after the off season trades?

it's still too easy to say..the favorites are still there, acmilan, chelsea, barcelona and there are also lots of dark horses in other leagues which are capable of winning the CL..we'll see once the season starts..

the_electrified_one  Yesterday, 08:30 AM 

just read an article awhile ago regarding liverpool's opponent - total network solutions fc... the team is based on the welsh village of llansantffraid... with only a population 1,200... and whose average crowd is 333...

galatasaray is really keen on signing pires... <this seems to be an interesting transfer...>

no offense to the manchester united fans here... i think that the red devils are huge underachievers... every year they kept on sporting one of the best lineups in the europe... and they can barely make it to or pass the round of 16...

i think pires will leave arsenal, he has been quoted that he'll only stay at arsenal if vieira stays so i think he'll leave too..poor thiery henry, most of his epl winning teammates are leaving, pires, vieira, cole, can he still carry the load of taking the gunners to all the way? without the adequate supporting cast, i think henry will score less goals, poor arsenal, tsk tsk tsk..

you're right to say that ManU are overachieving..i'm a huge ManU fan, but the core of the club needs to be revitalised, with giggs,scholes,keane,the nevilles getting old, becks leaving and without an adequate replacement to schmeichel..goals have been scarce despite great forwards in ruud, rooney, smith, saha because of the midfield (esp. the wingers) not creating better for their forwards to score, i can still remember how they won the CL in '99, with great passing and excellent crosses..i hope van der sar fills the void schmeichel made when he left the club after winning the CL in '99..ManU are still in the process of rebuilding, with the Glazers takeover, Sir Alex can buy better and younger players to revitalise the club to challenge for the EPL/CL championship..i hope they do get Ballack :)

• 2 weeks later...
with the loss of vieira, i think the chances of arsenal winning the epl again ang progressing in the group stages of the champions league are slim..damaso, you're right to say that he is the heart&soul of the team..can hleb fill the void of the midfield due to vieira's departure? we'll see once the season starts..

i hope ManU signs Michael Ballack, he'll be a great boost for the epl/champions league hopes of ManU..he is a defensive midfielder, a great leader, and he can score goals..his price is about 8-15million pounds, i hope they can get him, he's a suitable replacement for Keane..rio should sign already, they're in the process of fixing his contract..

it's still too easy to say..the favorites are still there, acmilan, chelsea, barcelona and there are also lots of dark horses in other leagues which are capable of winning the CL..we'll see once the season starts..

i think pires will leave arsenal, he has been quoted that he'll only stay at arsenal if vieira stays so i think he'll leave too..poor thiery henry, most of his epl winning teammates are leaving, pires, vieira, cole, can he still carry the load of taking the gunners to all the way? without the adequate supporting cast, i think henry will score less goals, poor arsenal, tsk tsk tsk..

you're right to say that ManU are overachieving..i'm a huge ManU fan, but the core of the club needs to be revitalised, with giggs,scholes,keane,the nevilles getting old, becks leaving and without an adequate replacement to schmeichel..goals have been scarce despite great forwards in ruud, rooney, smith, saha because of the midfield (esp. the wingers) not creating better for their forwards to score, i can still remember how they won the CL in '99, with great passing and excellent crosses..i hope van der sar fills the void schmeichel made when he left the club after winning the CL in '99..ManU are still in the process of rebuilding, with the Glazers takeover, Sir Alex can buy better and younger players to revitalise the club to challenge for the EPL/CL championship..i hope they do get Ballack :)

DO WE HAVE ANY FOOTBALL CLINIC HERE FOR PEOPLE LIKE 20YRS AND ABOVE HEHEHEHE

can't wait for the new season of epl, la liga, serie a and uefa champions league to start..real madrid get the brazilian duo of robinho and baptista, can they make a difference in challenging barcelona for the title? we'll see once the season starts..

third round qualifying matches...

(note: * denotes seeded team)

basel vs. bremen*

artmedia/celtic* vs. partizan/sheriff

shakthar vs. internazionale*

shelbourne/steaua vs. rosenborg*

man. united* vs. debrecen/hajduk

malmo/m. haifa vs. dynamo kyiv*/thun

everton vs. villareal*

kaunas/liverpool* vs. tirana/cska sofia

sporting* vs. udinese

valeranga/haka vs. club brugge*

dudelange/rapid vs. rabotnicki/lokomotiv*

anderlecht*/neftchi vs. slavia

anorthosis/t'spor vs. rangers*

d. tbilisi/brondby vs ajax*

betis vs. monaco*

wisla vs. panathinaikos*

> the drama here is with the spanish teams... villareal and betis... they both face a tough match up against everton and monaco, respectively... an early exit by the two spanish sides will leave barcelona and real madrid as spain's only representatives in the champion's league...

> another drama is between artmedia bratislava and celtic... the slovaks butchered the multi-titled scottish side, 5-0, in bratislava... barring a miracle, artmedia will steal the seeding from celtic...

> anderlecht demolished neftchi, 5-0... while rapid drowned dudelange, 6-1... debrecen edged hajduk, 3-0... with their leads coming to the second leg in mind - anderlecht, rapid, and debrecen are the only teams with clear tickets going to the next round... add also artmedia...

Edited by the_electrified_one
can't wait for the new season of epl, la liga, serie a and uefa champions league to start..real madrid get the brazilian duo of robinho and baptista, can they make a difference in challenging barcelona for the title? we'll see once the season starts..

is the robinho deal finalized? last i heard was that the brazilian federation vetoed the deal? :unsure:

anyway, that would give them a strikeforce of ronaldo, raul, owen and robinho.. :evil: they also got carlos diogo and pablo garcia in the summer signings.. go whites!!! :thumbsupsmiley: