Ex Pba Players

peep_tom

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

si jessie cabanayan at arnold calo andito pa ata sa saudi.

Si Arnold Calo naging team mate ko yan sa isang chineese league, champion kami nun..di pa siya naglalaro ng PBL noon..short lived lang career nya sa PBA eh..I think 1 conference lang..good guy, very humble.

kanina nag lunch ako sa rudy's bbq dito sa san antonio nakita ko si chip engelland na dating naglaro sa ncc...shooting coach pala siya ng spurs...di pala ganun katangkad ito.

I think he's connected with the Spurs... just forgot what his position is...

I think he's the shooting coach of Kerr before but now the shooting coach for the Spurs, specifically for Tony Parker in which he improved, FT% and FG% this season.

ayun!!! right you are my friend!

that's what it is... he helped Parker with his long range game!

about 2 or 3 yrs ago, i used to see manny victorino around ortigas ctr... madalas naglalakad lang...

Yup, I also see him before..para atang wala din na ipundar from hios playing days....di pa kasi multi-million mga contarcts nun unlike now... He was one of the few big RELIABLE big guys before aside from Fernandez and Guidaben.

Si Dong Polistico kaya asan na? He was one of the 1st sky scrapper sa PBA bago duamting si BALINGIT at FEIHL...

US based na si romy mamaril along with his family..si billy na lang ang nandito sa pinas...romy was shown watching billy playing for ginebra a few months back in araneta..wala pa ring pinagbago hairstyle

maganda ang life story ni mamaril... i've heard that he was able to finish his studies while playing in the p.b.a... medicine pa nga ata ang course nya e...

Yup, I also see him before..para atang wala din na ipundar from hios playing days....di pa kasi multi-million mga contarcts nun unlike now... He was one of the few big RELIABLE big guys before aside from Fernandez and Guidaben.

Si Dong Polistico kaya asan na? He was one of the 1st sky scrapper sa PBA bago duamting si BALINGIT at FEIHL...

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know about

Itoy Esguerra

Leo Austria

Adonis Tierra

Dexter Shouse ??

Don Don Ampalayo

Rambo Sanchez (one of my Favorites aside from Jawo)

Bernie Fabioza

Abet Guidaben

Cabatu

Leo Austria - coach ng Welcoat

DOndon Amplayo - US based na. participated in a fundraising event basketball game para sa legal assistance ni rudy distrito

Rambo Sanchez - successful politician sa binan, laguna. still involve with local basketball in binan

Bernie Fabiosa/Abet Guidaben - US based na rin

Sonny Cabatu - regular radio commentator na PBA

Distrito’s winning game

By Rina Jimenez-David

Inquirer

Last updated 04:02am (Mla time) 07/31/2007

There’s one letter, written last month, which was, unexpectedly, quite amusing and entertaining, given the circumstances the writer finds himself in. To give you as much of the “flavor” of the story as possible, I’ve taken the liberty of translating his letter into English, and editing only for conciseness and clarity. Here it is:

SIR, I have learned so much here in jail. The most important thing in my life now is the Lord. He is my guide who will give me another chance to go back to my family. Sir, even in my youth He has always been my guide and my companion as I attained fame. But I forgot Him for a while. Now, in everything I do, He is my guide in my decision-making.

I have so many stories to tell you from jail. Most of the basketball players here in America are black because they really dominate sports. Even here in jail, they think they’re the only ones who know how to play basketball. Sir, they never asked me to join them because they said I don’t know how to play the game because I’m Asian. Maybe they think I’m like them who know only the foolish things in life.

Basketball here in jail is played with ramen noodle soup at stake. My team was composed of five whites, three blacks and two Asians. The other team was all black, and all were so boastful because they think they’re the only ones who know how to play. Anyway, Sir, I started playing only in the fourth quarter because my teammates were all tired. In other words, “bangko ako” [i was a bench-warmer]. Our opponent’s score was 45, ours 31. Sir, I showed all my hidden experience gained from 23 years of my life in basketball. Sir, we won and I was able to score 25 points in just the fourth quarter. We won by five points. The jail warden, who’s white, was very pleased with our game. He declared that the other team has found its match and would no longer lord it over the jail.

So now, Sir, many teams here want to have me join them. I have so many more stories to tell…

MEANTIME, outside of prison, Ruffy and Abe King, another retired PBA player who has settled in the US, were busy putting up the PBA Legends USA Foundation. The first activity of the foundation was a benefit game to raise funds for Distrito’s legal needs. Held last July 14 at the Renton High School Gym in Seattle, the game drew a number of retired players from around the US: Yoyoy Villamin, Peter Aguilar, Ponky Alolor, Marte Saldana, coach Rino Salazar, Elmer Lago, and a delegation of players led by Bernie Fabiosa who arrived late because of a delayed flight from Burbank.

In a report, King describes the game as “scintillating, fun and exciting.” After the game, Fil-Am fans, many of them too young to have watched the players in their prime at the PBA, rushed to the teams for autographs, endless picture-taking and fellowship.

“Alolor’s MVP trophy never left his hand till the next morning at the airport where he left for Frisco,” writes King. “I think that is the last time Ponky will have [an MVP trophy], as next time around in Frisco, I will really hound him.”

The foundation will be holding other benefit games in San Franciso, New Jersey, Chicago and other cities. “The athletes are gung-ho for finding new meaning in their basketball lives in America, and elevating their thrill for the game to greater heights,” says King. “And as we envision, with funds we can raise through games and other ventures, we will embark on philanthropic projects in America and the Philippines.”

The foundation, said King, would also like to thank PBA chair Ricky Vargas and PBA commissioner Noli Eala and Viva Sports’ Ronnie Nathanielsz for the $2,000 donation to the foundation. Distrito’s family was on hand to receive the check and to receive the crowd’s well wishes for Rudy.

• 3 weeks later...

TV reporter, cabbie file assault raps vs ex-cager

Cops say Alvarez also resisted arrest

By Kristine L. Alave

Inquirer

Last updated 12:23pm (Mla time) 08/22/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- Former basketball player Paul “Bong” Alvarez found himself in the middle of a different ball game after he was slapped with charges of physical injuries by two people who accused him of attacking them in Mandaluyong City yesterday. Police said he also tried to resist arrest.

One of his victims, however, ABS-CBN television reporter Gretchen Malalad, managed to punch Alvarez in the face after he allegedly elbowed her and grabbed her by the hair when she tried to interview him.

Malalad, who holds a black belt in karate, had won gold medals in the Southeast Asian Games.

Alvarez’s other victim, Wilfredo Cabanlit, 46, a taxi driver, was not as fortunate.

He was sporting a huge bump between the eyes aside from bruises and cuts on his face when he went to the police.

The charges against Alvarez were filed before the Mandaluyong City Prosecutor’s Office.

Investigator PO2 Edmundo Fabela said the former Philippine Basketball Association player flagged down Cabanlit’s taxi at the Rembrandt Hotel in Quezon City at about 5 a.m.

Cabanlit said Alvarez, who smelled of liquor, angrily accused him of trying to jack up his taxi fare by taking Boni Avenue, the longer route, instead of Shaw Boulevard, on his way to Quiapo, Manila.

When the taxi driver said he was only trying to avoid getting caught in traffic, Alvarez swore at him and kicked him, according to the police report.

As Cabanlit got out of his cab to avoid the suspect’s blows, Alvarez ran after him, hitting him in the face and chest, at times with a beer bottle, the victim said.

Witnesses took both to the police station where Malalad tried to interview Alvarez who refused.

When she approached Cabanlit, Alvarez elbowed her in the face and pulled her hair, prompting her to punch his face.

Alvarez and his lawyer, Godfrey Camaligan, refused to talk to the media about the incident.

Alvarez later posted a bail bond of P4,500 and was released from police custody at 4 p.m.