How To Learn To Swim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Start with learning how to float. Try it, its easy. Go to a pool, waist deep is enough. Take a deep breath, hold it, then roll into a ball, hug you legs. At first you will sink, but after a few seconds you will float to the surface because your lungs are full of air Then exhale slowly, let the air out of your lungs and you will start sinking to the bottom. Just keep repeating this exercise.

@camus i can already do that. what im talking about is floating with heck-head is above water level and straight body.

Ah you mean treading. Move your arms and legs in a circular motion. One way is to act as if your legs are pedaling a bicycle. Another is to do a sort of a slow frog kick, pulling your feet towards your crotch with knees apart, then slowly kicking down. Or any variation of these kicks. Your arms - move them in a circular motion, pushing the water down.

Personally, this is tiring. It's much easier to lie down or keep your body close to horizontal so your body's natural buoyancy will help keep you close to the surface, requiring less effort to kick and scull (arm movement) the water.

Hope this helps.

Anyone know a good swimming class near QC or BGC? :)

For QC area, there are coaches at the Amoranto pool.

There is a new facility near Libis, Swimfit. The coach there is very good. https://www.facebook.com/SwimFit-Philippines-1516679335230421/

For BGC, you can check on Coach Norman Pascual's programs at teamnorman.ph. He is really a triathlon coach, but he also teaches swimming. Alam ko sa Army pool sila madalas mag-training.

You can also look up www.bertlozadaswimschool.com. They now offer swim programs all over. Kindly check the site for their locations, specially now that it's summer and they always offer summer swim courses.

Ah you mean treading. Move your arms and legs in a circular motion. One way is to act as if your legs are pedaling a bicycle. Another is to do a sort of a slow frog kick, pulling your feet towards your crotch with knees apart, then slowly kicking down. Or any variation of these kicks. Your arms - move them in a circular motion, pushing the water down.

Personally, this is tiring. It's much easier to lie down or keep your body close to horizontal so your body's natural buoyancy will help keep you close to the surface, requiring less effort to kick and scull (arm movement) the water.

Hope this helps.

1st time hearing this cycling technique, i will try it very soon. thanks for the help.

few of my friend always recommend the frog technique but, yeah your right. Its tiring and cant do it for more than 30s.

can someone tell me if my problem is endurance or im just tensed doing it so im getting tired faster than expected. im so jealous seeing other doing it for a long period of time T_T

1st time hearing this cycling technique, i will try it very soon. thanks for the help.

few of my friend always recommend the frog technique but, yeah your right. Its tiring and cant do it for more than 30s.

can someone tell me if my problem is endurance or im just tensed doing it so im getting tired faster than expected. im so jealous seeing other doing it for a long period of time T_T

Being tense tires you faster. Relax, and you'll be able to do it longer. If you really want to last longer treading, move to a horizontal body position so your body's natural buoyancy will assist in keeping you afloat, but then it's called "sculling" na. hehehe

Is it ever too late to learn how to swim? I've never learned anything else beyond the basic egg float.

It's never too late to learn to swim. If you google "total immersion swimming" you'll find endorsements from retirees in the US learning to swim for the first time while in old folks homes. They were bored, so they bought the videos and learned to swim in their geriatric years.

• 2 weeks later...

swimming lessons ang recommended ko. late 20's na ako natutong lumangoy kasi tagabundok ako at may phobia talaga ako sa malalaking mass of water. nilunok ko na lang ang takot at pride ko. pati mga 7-year old na bata sa classes tinuturuan pa ako ng floating. it was a humbling experience but fun nonetheless. hindi pa din ako magaling lumangoy pero at least hindi na ako lumulobog na parang bato.

• 3 weeks later...