Are You From The 80s?

I remember the protest of UP students against the Education Act...They were dispersed by water cannons on the the way to the Batasan....Then there was another protest rally in Liwasang Bonifacio..Again the rally was dispersed by water cannons....The UP President was Edgardo Angara....The mayor of Cagayan de Oro was Aquilino Pimentel...

The 80s - the Reagan "Reaganomics" years. On March 30, 1981, an unstable drifter named John W. Hinckley shot Reagan in the chest during an assassination attempt.

in an interview with the bum, john said he did it to "impress" actress jodie foster

and she was not impressed :(

have a copy of the zero factor novel somewhere- trashy reading.

mas maganda are the similarities in the circumstances surrounding lincoln and kennedy's death.

bos anaheim, care to discuss it in the resto?

in an interview with the bum, john said he did it to "impress" actress jodie foster

and she was not impressed :(

have a copy of the zero factor novel somewhere- trashy reading.

mas maganda are the similarities in the circumstances surrounding lincoln and kennedy's death.

bos anaheim, care to discuss it in the resto?

Here's a famous DEATH coincidence between Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy:

Abraham Lincoln - was first elected to U.S. congress in 1846

John F. Kennedy - was first elected to U.S. congress in 1946

Abraham Lincoln - was elected as the 16th President of the United States on November 6, 1860.

John F. Kennedy - was elected as the 35th President of the United States on November 8, 1960.

Abraham Lincoln's killer was John Wilkes Booth, a Southerner, was born in 1839. John Wilkes Booth was shot before he could come to trial.

John F. Kennedy's killer was Lee Harvey Oswald (others believed there were more than one killer), a Southerner, was born in 1939. Lee Harvey Oswald was shot (by Jack Ruby) before he could come to trial.

Abraham Lincoln's killer John Wilkes Booth committed his crime in a theater and then ran to a warehouse.

John F. Kennedy's killer Lee Harvey Oswald pulled the trigger on Kennedy from the window of a warehouse then ran to a theater.

Abraham Lincoln - on the day he was assasinated Lincoln told a guard, William H. Crook: 'I believe there are men who want to take my life...and I have no doubt they will do it....if it is to be done, it is impossible to prevent it.'

John F. Kennedy - he unsuspectingly told his wife, Jackie, and his personal adviser Ken O'Donnell: 'If anyone really wanted to shoot the President of the United States, it's not a very hard job. All that one has to do is to get to a high building some day, with a telescopic rifle, and there is nothing anybody can do.' 'Some say' proved to be that day. He was shot 2 1/2 hours later.

Abraham Lincoln - was a historic civil rights campaigner, was shot on a Friday, in the back of the head. His wife was with him.

John F. Kennedy - was a historic civil rights campaigner, was shot on a Friday, in the back of the head. His wife was with him.

Abraham Lincoln- was shot in Ford's Theatre.

John F. Kennedy- was shot in an automobile made by the Ford Motor Company - a Lincoln.

Abraham Lincoln's death was succeeded by a Southerner named Andrew Johnson, born in 1808.

John F. Kennedy's death was succeeded by a Southerner named Lyndon B. Johnson, born in 1908.

Abraham Lincoln- had a secretary named Kennedy, who advised him not to go to the theatre in Washington on that fateful day.

John F. Kennedy- had a secretary named Lincoln, who strongly advised him against going to Dallas, Texas.

THE ZERO FACTOR JINX – since 1840, no U.S. president that has been elected in office in the year ending in zero left the office alive. Every U.S. president chosen EVERY 20 YEARS thereafter often has some terrible fate awaiting them. Here are the list:

William Henry Harrison - was elected in 1840, the ninth president of the US. But he died of pneumonia in the following year while still in office.

Abraham Lincoln – was elected in 1860, was the first president to be assassinated and the third president to die in office.

James Abram Garfield – was elected in 1880, was assassinated during his first year in office.

William McKinley – was elected in 1900, was assassinated during his first year in office.

Warren Harding – was elected in 1920, died of heart attack, still in office.

Franklin Roosevelt – was elected in 1940, died of a cerebral hemorrhage, still in office.

John F. Kennedy - was elected in 1960 as the 35th president. He was assassinated in 1963, still in office.

Ronald Reagan – was elected in 1980, was shot in the chest by John Hinckley on March 30, 1981. Reagan finished his 2 terms (1980-1988). He was the only one who had survived the Zero Factor jinx. He died June 5, 2004.

George W. Bush – was elected in 2000. He is currently seeking a second term in office. Will Bush survived, as with Reagan, the Zero Factor jinx? Has Reagan broken the jinx in 1980? If the jinx has indeed been broken, what accident will await Bush?

Cheers

Anaheim

Edited by Anaheim

add ko lang

William Henry Harrison - died becuz he gave his LONG INAUGURATION SPEECH (40 MINUTES AT LEAST) IN THE RAIN, HATLESS AND COATLESS

James Abram Garfield – was shot by a frustrated OFFICE SEEKER

William McKinley – was elected for the 2nd time 1900, was shot while on a receiving line (pumila pa kc) by an anarchist

Warren Harding – died of unknown causes (heart attack daw) due to the disease of GRAFT and CORRUPTION plaguing his office. kung hindi sya namatay malamang IMPEACHMENT ang kaharap nya

Franklin Roosevelt – was elected for the 3rd 1940, died of a cerebral hemorrhage, in his 4th term

Ronald Reagan – was elected in 1980, was shot in the chest by John Hinckley on March 30, 1981. Reagan finished his 2 terms (1980-1988). He was the only one who had survived the Zero Factor jinx. He died June 5, 2004.

iba talaga c resgan, kahit oldest prez sya at may jinx pa (daw) he got out of the white haus ALIVE AND KICKING

student canteen VS eat bulaga

gma 7 vs rpn 9

IQ7 vs gilette battle of champions

eddie ilarde/bobby ledesma vs tito/vic/joey

coney reyes/helen vela vs chiqui hollmann

talagang noon pa lang magkalaban na

interesting to note that TVJ started on DISCORAMA in channel 7 hosted by Bobby Ledesma. the trio would read jokes mostly on a news setting

si coney reyes hindi pa born again, probably screwing all her co-hosts at student canteen including edie ilarde..si edie ilarde still known as political bakla kasi nagpatakot kay makoy..Tito sotto was a comical farce ...(he still is now at the senate..)

fave tv shows of the 80s

hill street blues - the TRUE COP DRAMA SHOW, bihirang talunin sa EMMY AWARDS either in ACTING OR WRITING. STEVEN BOCHO'S landmark TV series starring Daniel Travanti, Bruce Weitz, among others. (81)

golden girls - eto naman sa comedy. all 4 ACTRESSES WON EMMYS for the show with Estelle Getty winning supporting actress award 3 years in a row. bea arthur brings in betty white and getty from maude (70s show) and adds rue mclanahan. a comedy on the golden years of 4 widowers

benson - robert guillaume's show on life in a state capitol, from being employee he rose to lt. governor to challenge his boss (albeit in a friendly manner) for governorship. hollywood talaga

cheers - the show that launched ted danson, chirstie alley etc. and featured some of minnesotta's sons and daughters (including kevin mchale)

the monster of all

COSBY SHOW - bill cosby established himself as the MAN in this show that he rote, produced and starred in. guested some of the biggest names of black americans including miles davis and barry bonds

may nakakaalam ba nung soap opera na "Dayuhan" ni hero at harlene bautista? pinapalabas sya sa rpn 9 tuwing 5 pm dati mga mid to late 80s ata. sobrang na addict ako nun. it's about a boy (si hero) who gains superpowers and uses them to fight aliens. ang corny ng special effects pero masaya na ako dun nung bata ako hehehe kompitensya sya ng that's entertainment.

The 80's were a cool period. However, there are some things from the 80's that we'd all rather forget such as:

1. Noontime show dance contests - e.g. Metallic Gigolo

2. The Mullet Haircuts (locally known as Siete)

3. Carrera shades

4. Blah blahs

5. Laura Brannigan (my apologies to Laura Brannigan fans).

6. Vincent Daffalong

7. The Starbrighters

8. Neon colored, Acid washed, superbaston stretch jeans

9. Bob and Emmy Garon and the Marcos Hidden Wealth Home Videos

10. Bionic Boy (the alleged clairvoyant/seer)

(CNN) -- In the heart of his 1984 re-election campaign, Ronald Reagan made a speech in Hammonton, New Jersey, and took the opportunity to invoke the name of one of the Garden State's favorite sons.

"America's future rests in a thousand dreams inside our hearts," the president said. "It rests in the message of hope in the songs of a man so many young Americans admire: New Jersey's own Bruce Springsteen."

Reagan -- or his speechwriter -- was likely thinking of one song in particular: "Born in the U.S.A.," the title cut from Springsteen's No. 1 album of the time. The song, with Max Weinberg's thunderous drums, Roy Bittan's glittery keyboards and an anthemic chorus, was impossible to avoid that year: "Born in the U.S.A., I was born in the U.S.A. ..."

But look deeper, and there was another dimension to "Born in the U.S.A." The song was the ferocious cry of an unemployed Vietnam veteran.

"Down in the shadow of the penitentiary/Out by the gas fires of the refinery/I'm 10 years burning down the road/Nowhere to run ain't got nowhere to go," Springsteen sang in a working-class howl.

The singer wasn't amused by Reagan's appropriation of his work.

"I think people have a need to feel good about the country they live in," he later told Rolling Stone. "But what's happening, I think, is that that need -- which is a good thing -- is getting manipulated and exploited. You see in the Reagan election ads on TV, you know, 'It's morning in America,' and you say, 'Well, it's not morning in Pittsburgh.' "

The singer, who spent much of 1984 on a huge concert tour, dedicated "Born in the U.S.A." to a union local at one stop.

But "Born in the U.S.A." neatly encapsulates the Reagan '80s, a decade that was about morning in America or a "Midnight Mission" (a Textones song about the homeless), optimism or cynicism, chorus or verse, depending on whom you listened to.

As satirist Paul Slansky wrote in his diary of the decade, "The Clothes Have No Emperor," ["My book] is the response of ... an observer whose very sanity was threatened by the ease with which illusion -- an actor is playing the president! -- was embraced as reality."

Irony laden

The decade's pop culture trafficked in the blur between illusion and reality.

David Letterman launched an irony-laden talk show, the whole point of which was to mock talk shows. He had his cameras do 360-degree spins; he used a 1966 Sears catalog for his opening credits. His interviews -- the "talk" of talk shows -- were often deliberately devoid of content in favor of comedy bits or, in the case of some guests, outright antagonism.

On the other hand, television also produced a new wave of sitcoms that hearkened back to the cozy 1950s. "The Cosby Show" updated "Father Knows Best" around a successful black family in well-off Brooklyn Heights, New York. "Family Ties," yoked to "Cosby" on NBC's Thursday night schedule, featured '60s liberals who had settled down in middle-class Columbus, Ohio, with their kids, one of whom was a conservative, Nixon-worshipping business student played by Michael J. Fox.

Many people heard the chorus of Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A." without hearing the verses.

Fox's roles were often symbolic of the high-flying, optimistic side of the '80s. In "Back to the Future" (1985), he played a teenager who went back in time to the '50s to bring his parents together (and, incidentally, vanquish a bully, which allows his family to move up the economic ladder 30 years later).

More to the point was "The Secret of My Success" (1987), an irony-less version of "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying." "Secret" glorified money, status and corporate climbing, one of the many '80s films to do so.

In fact, in the midst of the '80s bull market, there were few films that didn't play up the money-happiness connection. One of the few that went against the grain was Oliver Stone's "Wall Street" (1987), which placed Charlie Sheen's low-level stock trader in the world of avaricious tycoon Gordon Gekko (Michael Douglas).

Thanks to Douglas' magnetic Oscar-winning performance, however, Gekko became the character everyone remembered, and his "Greed is good" speech -- "Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit" -- was quoted endlessly, and sometimes seriously.

Reality stops and starts

Michael Douglas played the villainous Gordon Gekko in "Wall Street." His "Greed is good" speech was echoed in real life.

Indeed, the '80s had a way of reflecting all sides of the looking glass. Pop culture mixed with real life as never before. Jokes became serious; the serious was tossed off as a joke. The zeitgeist tended to move forward, back upon itself and do a 180.

For example, there was Rambo. The Sylvester Stallone character originated in the 1982 movie "First Blood" as a troubled Vietnam vet who goes on a one-man war against some threatening police officers. Naturally, the violent character became an action hero, and Stallone revived him for "Rambo: First Blood Part II," in which the ex-vet was sent to Vietnam on a secret mission. The upshot was, of course, that the Vietnam War wasn't over until we said it was (and we won).

Or consider Max Headroom. The allegedly computer-generated character (actually actor Matt Frewer in latex) was born for a British music video show and became a spokesman for Coca-Cola. At the same time, his British creators made him the star of a scabrous TV movie that lampooned the shallow world of television and its demanding advertisers. ABC brought the character over for a TV series, pitted the show against "Miami Vice" and "Dallas," and it was gone in 14 episodes.

Meanwhile, "Doonesbury" cartoonist Garry Trudeau turned the character into "Ron Headrest," a sendup of the president, who had become known as much for his upside-down remarks ("Trees cause more pollution than automobiles do") as his forthright conservatism.

But Reagan was often at the center of such spin cycles. He quoted movie lines ("Go ahead, make my day") and mixed up movies with real life (as when he told Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal he had been part of liberating a concentration camp, when he had actually logged grim movies about the Holocaust). He was played by Phil Hartman in a particularly wicked "Saturday Night Live" sketch about his detachment, mocked by the British in their satirical puppet series "Spitting Image" and faced off against Soviet leader Konstantin Chernenko in Frankie Goes to Hollywood's video "Two Tribes."

Max Headroom: From video show host to ad pitchman to subject of merciless TV movie to canceled TV series to ... well, Ronald Reagan. Sort of.

Sometimes the looking glass looked back. Testing an open microphone during a 1984 sound check, the president cracked, "My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes." His comments, which horrified Reagan critics, were remixed by Talking Heads' Jerry Harrison into a song, "5 Minutes." For those critics, the song said it all.

Harrison's song didn't get any airplay on mainstream radio stations. By the '80s, college radio held music's cutting edge, and it was there listeners could hear artists such as R.E.M., Laurie Anderson, Public Enemy and the Lyres. Indeed, it was an indie band, the New Jersey-based Groceries, who earned some college radio airplay for their 1984 song "Part of the New America":

"I never think too much/About what I'm going to say ... I think that unity is the proper way to be/I don't have a need to be different/I'm part of the new America ..." the lyrics went.

And later in the song, as the singer mentioned ways of fitting in, he said, "Think Democrat, vote Republican."

Ronald Reagan -- former FDR voter and union head -- couldn't have described the '80s better himself.

Hahaha.. ang galing.. i can relate with everybody...

alala ko lang e.. ung chikadee na pagkain with a free toy na parang jelly.. pwede mong baliktarin.

Hiro was s in demand for me.

Of course shaider and bioman.

Perfect Strangers pinapanood ng magulang ko. Hindi pa ako mainitindi ng ingles dati.

Fashion?? Hmm madaming tights na pinapasuot sa akin mama ko, well bata pa ako kaya o sige. tapos todong kulot tapos bangs.

Ah yes, may picture ako na ang ponytail ko sobrang taas. madonna.

Do you guys remember Morgan Freeman as a regular in Electric Company as "Easy Reader"? The show also had '80's star Irene Cara.

That's Pete's pal's pet's pickle.....

Punctuation! They are the little marks that give word influence, to make a sentence make mooooore seeeeeese! ( Sing with me!!!)

Morgan freeman - easy reader that's my name. i say ummm, umm, ummm

we're gonna turn you on!!!

the show also featured rita moreno, one of the most versatile performers ever. she was in the stage and movie version of the leonard bernstein classic WEST SIDE STORY. bigger than irene cara.

too bad patay na yata ang show :(

Well, the 80s was the decade of turbulence and transition.

1980 - Light a fire movement. Bomb threats and explosion. Nonoy Zuñiga lost his leg in one of the explosions.

1983 - Ninoy Aquino assasination. The yellow ribbon brigade. Lots of mass action followed. Social unrest. Tear gas was the weapon for dispersal.

1986 - Snap election. Evelio Javier assasinated. EDSA People Power. Marcos was ousted.

1987 - 1989 - Series of failed coup d'etat. Brown outs.

There were also a lot of bad musical acts in the 80's. Does anyone remember the Gelboys or the Nail Clipper?

Yeh I remember them. One of the Gelboys was a friend of a friend. And one of the Nailclippers was my schoolmate. It doesn't mean I like them. I still think they suck, big time. But you'd have to admit that Diane (I think that's her name - the female singer from Nail Clippers) is one hot babe.

the gelboys was a pogi band with absolutely no artistic talent whatsoever. the nailclippers, on the other hand, even does concerts in japan during their heydey. if my (addled) memory serves, sumikat muna dito ang gloria (no relation to gma :) ) tagalog version nila before it became an english song that became a hit for laura branigan. naiba talaga ang lyrics and theme (the nailclippers version was more religious) pero no mistaking the melody.

i remeber the time when sony-columbia records were scarce in pinas. the license, then held by vicor, expired and there was lengthy negotiations as to who would claim it. by that time, mccartney released TUG OF WAR, toto released TOTO IV and michael jackson released THRILLER kaya gyera patani (an 80s expresion) ang mga record labels dito. finally the license went to the young co. octo-arts which, i think, still distributes sony cds today.

octo arts gm is orly ilacad, the OR of VICOR records. the VIC is vic del rosario of VIVA records today.

hirap talaga pag ____ ka na :(

the gelboys was a pogi band with absolutely no artistic talent whatsoever. the nailclippers, on the other hand, even does concerts in japan during their heydey. if my (addled) memory serves, sumikat muna dito ang gloria (no relation to gma :) ) tagalog version nila before it became an english song that became a hit for laura branigan. naiba talaga ang lyrics and theme (the nailclippers version was more religious) pero no mistaking the melody.

i remeber the time when sony-columbia records were scarce in pinas. the license, then held by vicor, expired and there was lengthy negotiations as to who would claim it. by that time, mccartney released TUG OF WAR, toto released TOTO IV and michael jackson released THRILLER kaya gyera patani (an 80s expresion) ang mga record labels dito. finally the license went to the young co. octo-arts which, i think, still distributes sony cds today.

octo arts gm is orly ilacad, the OR of VICOR records. the VIC is vic del rosario of VIVA records today.

hirap talaga pag ____ ka na :(

I agree. The Nailclippers probably had a lot more talent under their fingernails then the Gelboys ever had. I just found the act was derivative and lacked originality. Then again, there were a lot of unoriginal OPM acts in the 80s...