Running

daDJ

You can use wikimapia.org. It has a distance measuring feature.

Kaya mo yan! It's now all in your mind - if you say you will finish, it will happen. If you say you can't do it, well that's what will happen.

Positive thoughts! You can do it!

Then i will finish. And will not finish last. :lol:

Sayang naman ng biyahe ko from bicol and my work leave if i will fail my target. :rolleyes:

See you at the race people! :)

the map is missing a kilometer!!!!

Aba, oo nga! 19.8km lang as is.

pati dito may dagdag bawas? hello garci? malayo pa election! wapak haha

baka nmn considered sa distance yung inclination ng route.. like yung dun sa flyover.. iba din kasi yung sukat sa flat surface (sa map) and actual distance

I remember last year na kulang din ang distance na declared sa mapa nila...

pero during the race day, binago nila ang route (extended the Buendia area).

Hopefully they will do it again this Sunday...

San tayo magkikita @ppdd? sa primero o belagio o NPS? hahaha...

Edited by spirit220

oh good....it seems that there will be a few of us doing the bull run this sunday morning. ^_^

wooohoooo!!! roll call uli tayo...

sino sino na tatakbo sa pse bull run?

ppdd (done with my pre-run spa adventure! vrooom vrooom!)

spirit220 (na nawawala pa din ang bib tag)

floppydrive

wyette

rapturousone

sino pa? ^_^

I remember last year na kulang din ang distance na declared sa mapa nila...

pero during the race day, binago nila ang route (extended the Buendia area).

Hopefully they will do it again this Sunday...

San tayo magkikita @ppdd? sa primero o belagio o NPS? hahaha...

ahaha. tapos na ako kahapon sa berkeley (pre-run change oil).. :P

oo nga panu pala mag meet sa sun? wala si turk. busy pa ata.. kaw na mag organize ng meetup ^_^

Ano po ba ang pinaka basic o fundamental training for me who havent tried joining any running event. I play basketball though, pero I heard medyo serious conditioning ang kailangan.

Start running for 5 minutes, then rest. After one day rest, run for 10 minutes. then rest a day. Go on until you can run 30 mins, then that's when you start measuring distance - run 3km, run 5km, etc. Slowly build up distance and speed. For each running day, you'll have to choose which to concentrate on either distance or speed, but not both. Don't forget to rest a day between runs to let your body recover.

As a minimum, when you can run 30 mins straight, you can schedule 3 runs per week. Weekday runs are for about an hour each and here you can concentrate on speed. On weekends, run once, but go for distance. This is usually refered to as LSD - Long, Slow, Distance run.

Go check out the December Runner's World Philippines magazine. It has a good program for beginners (5 Weeks to your first (or fastest) 5K).

Hope this helps.

• Like (+1) 1

yup... looks like another wet race tomorrow....

I'll be slow tomorrow... so I expect a 3hour run for me...

PM me your numbers so that we can meet pre- or post-race...

wala akong alam sa the Fort area... maybe sa starbucks, krispy kreeme, or brother's burger magkita kita...

see you at the race bukas... gunstart is 5:15 for 21k... and we will also be sharing the race route of another Run even... Run for 10...

Good luck to us!!!

yup... looks like another wet race tomorrow....

I'll be slow tomorrow... so I expect a 3hour run for me...

PM me your numbers so that we can meet pre- or post-race...

wala akong alam sa the Fort area... maybe sa starbucks, krispy kreeme, or brother's burger magkita kita...

see you at the race bukas... gunstart is 5:15 for 21k... and we will also be sharing the race route of another Run even... Run for 10...

Good luck to us!!!

Im more scared of the wet pavement than of my shoes getting heavy when wet eh. :wacko:

Will pm you my mobile number sir, baka sakaling makasama sa post race meetup. Will leave my mobile sa car e.

Learned just jow about the route sharing, siguro naman may marshalls dun so we wont really get lost. :D

Maliwanag na when we finish. And i thought gunstart is earlier. Tsk.

@spirit220 -- sent you pm :)

goodluck to all runners! sana wag umulan, sayang new shoes :)

Goodluck!

Buti na lang, old shoes gamitin ko! Haha

Rest well everyone!

Nice to finally meet Spirit220, ppdd and wyette!

Race weather was good- no rain but humidity was high.

PSE Bull Run: They added a leg from Lexus to Kalayaan bringing the distance to 21k. I got 20.94km, Spirit220 had it at 21++.

Route was challenging. Usually, runs in BGC start off with the hills insde BGC before heading to Buendia, which is relatively flat except for the flyover. Now that they put the buendia leg first, the last half of the race was gruelling on the knees and calves with the hills.

There were plenty of water stations, almost one every 750 meters. They even had a water station in the middle of the kalayaan flyover! Unfortunately, there were limited Pocati Sweat stations, mostly located in the BGC area. By the time the 21k runners got back to BGC, almost none were left.

Down side was a runner suffered cardiac arrest at the km18 point and expired right on the course. May he rest in peace!

Great run overall.

Edited by floppydrive

FR on PSE Bull Run

not one of my good run. masyado maaga ako pinulikat. pagdating dun sa u-turn sa mckinley, ayun na! nakita pa ako ni spirit220 habang nagsi-stretch ng calf muscles sa gutter lolz. anyway, bawi nalang sa next run. congrats to all finishers!

unofficial time: 3hrs 5mins+

+ madami hydration stations

- sa dami ng hydration stations, 2 lang may pocari. yung iba pa nagkaubusan ng water :( isa lang may banana station

+ the run started on time :)

- masyado na ata late yung 5.15am gun start for a 21km run. ang init na nung makatapos ako

+ mdami marshalls, very visible naman sila

- yung iba marshalls na nagta-traffic control, parang walang pake. nde pinapahinto yung mga runners or nung incoming vehicles. parang "bahala kau sa bhay nyo" smh

+ nice route (sumobra pa ata distance dahil sa adjustment hehe). may kasabay pa iba runners from another running event

+ organized naman yung dun sa kuhanan ng loot bag and baggage

- parang wala ako nakita na first aid station/s along the route. magpapa-pahid sana ako ng ointment sa pulikat hayyy (and i heard someone got hurt sa run. sana um-ok na sya)

overall it was still an ok run. bumili din ako nung old singlets nila :)

after the run, it was nice to meet up with Spirit220, Floppydrive, Wyette and her friend :)

hopefully mameet din yung iba pa mtc runners

(ipo-post ba yung pic natin dito? nyahaha)

Next run: 16km @ Enviro Run

FR on PSE Bull Run

not one of my good run. masyado maaga ako pinulikat. pagdating dun sa u-turn sa mckinley, ayun na! nakita pa ako ni spirit220 habang nagsi-stretch ng calf muscles sa gutter lolz. anyway, bawi nalang sa next run. congrats to all finishers!

unofficial time: 3hrs 5mins+

+ madami hydration stations

- sa dami ng hydration stations, 2 lang may pocari. yung iba pa nagkaubusan ng water :( isa lang may banana station

+ the run started on time :)

- masyado na ata late yung 5.15am gun start for a 21km run. ang init na nung makatapos ako

+ mdami marshalls, very visible naman sila

- yung iba marshalls na nagta-traffic control, parang walang pake. nde pinapahinto yung mga runners or nung incoming vehicles. parang "bahala kau sa bhay nyo" smh

+ nice route (sumobra pa ata distance dahil sa adjustment hehe). may kasabay pa iba runners from another running event

+ organized naman yung dun sa kuhanan ng loot bag and baggage

- parang wala ako nakita na first aid station/s along the route. magpapa-pahid sana ako ng ointment sa pulikat hayyy (and i heard someone got hurt sa run. sana um-ok na sya)

overall it was still an ok run. bumili din ako nung old singlets nila :)

after the run, it was nice to meet up with Spirit220, Floppydrive, Wyette and her friend :)

hopefully mameet din yung iba pa mtc runners

(ipo-post ba yung pic natin dito? nyahaha)

Next run: 16km @ Enviro Run

NO sa pagpost ng picture! Haha will send the photos to you via PM though. :) dunno your facebook pages e. :)

Ewan ko what came into me at di ako nagbigay ng excuse sa pakikipag meet sainyo. :P

I usually do not meet up with people from the board. :rolleyes:

Nice FR sir! Sabi ko na nga ba at ikaw yung nag stretch sa gutter. :) halos nakasabay lang ako sayo e. if i had known it was you, i could have given you my PAU liniment. Haha may dala akong maliit na bote nun. But did not use it. Hiya naman ako mamigay. Baka sabihin, ang liit naman ng dala ko. :lol: what i liked sa run, was the fact na ang daming ice cubes. Di baleng walang sponges. At least, narerefill ko water bottle ko woth ice and malamig na ulit sya. :D. Overall, it was a good first time experience. No injuries. And that to me, what matters most at bibiyahe pa ako tonight pauwing bicol. Haha :D

I saw that one runner na nirerevive. Shucks. I wanted to stop kaso nakita ko may nag cocompress na sa kanya, but noone was giving him air/oxygen, wala pa medic nun. Manual compression binigay. Not sure if someone was giving him manual air. Sabi ng friend ko,nung dumaan na sya, someone was intubating the fallen runner na. :( kawawa naman if ever kasi he seemed so young pa. Parang pwede pa pag nasahan, errr... I mean, has a bright future po pala. :rolleyes:

Salamat at sorry (these go to the 3 of you mga sirs) sa bati and run ko. Super amoy pawis at araw ko na. Di na keri tumagal sa suot ko. :lol: :lol:

See you at the condura marathon uli! :)

Nice to finally meet Spirit220, ppdd and wyette!

Race weather was good- no rain but humidity was high.

PSE Bull Run: They added a leg from Lexus to Kalayaan bringing the distance to 21k. I got 20.94km, Spirit220 had it at 21++.

Route was challenging. Usually, runs in BGC start off with the hills insde BGC before heading to Buendia, which is relatively flat except for the flyover. Now that they put the buendia leg first, the last half of the race was gruelling on the knees and calves with the hills.

There were plenty of water stations, almost one every 750 meters. They even had a water station in the middle of the kalayaan flyover! Unfortunately, there were limited Pocati Sweat stations, mostly located in the BGC area. By the time the 21k runners got back to BGC, almost none were left.

Down side was a runner suffered cardiac arrest at the km18 point and expired right on the course. May he rest in peace!

Great run overall.

I read ppdd's post first before this, sir. Commented on the runner whom i saw was being revived. Only now i knew he expired. :( may he rest in peace. Had i known he expired or had i seen him being intubated, i would have had very low morale. I saw him being given manual chest compressions and heard the ambulances coming. Lesson learned though: wag ipilit pag di kaya, which i did. I had to stop a few times when i felt my right calf muscles were starting to ache. Wala kaming stretching ng friend ko. We arrived as the emcee was already calling runners at 6 mins before the bell rang. That was tough for a first timer me. :lol: im used to having time stretching and "feeling" the people around me. :)

It was nice to meet you as well sir! :)

I read ppdd's post first before this, sir. Commented on the runner whom i saw was being revived. Only now i knew he expired. :( may he rest in peace. Had i known he expired or had i seen him being intubated, i would have had very low morale. I saw him being given manual chest compressions and heard the ambulances coming. Lesson learned though: wag ipilit pag di kaya, which i did. I had to stop a few times when i felt my right calf muscles were starting to ache. Wala kaming stretching ng friend ko. We arrived as the emcee was already calling runners at 6 mins before the bell rang. That was tough for a first timer me. :lol: im used to having time stretching and "feeling" the people around me. :)

It was nice to meet you as well sir! :)

Nice to meet you and you friend *r***! Kitakits sa ibang runs!

Here is the official statement from their running group. He was the president of Sigue Correr Runners:

-------

To Our Fellow Runners,

Here is SCR's official statement for what may possibly happen today:

Cardiac Arrest due to Hypokalemia is the cause of death of our beloved President Romel Defeo. Hypokalemia is a condition of below normal levels of potassium in the blood serum. Potassium, a necessary electrolyte, facilitates nerve impulse conduction and the contraction of skeletal and smooth muscles, including the heart. It also facilitates cell membrane function and proper enzyme activity. This is according to the people who tried to revive Kuya RD and the credit goes to Ace of Red Cross Manila, Dr. Jun - Cardiologist from Asian, Sir Stew, UST ER Staff Nurse and Dr Nina Beltran from Lung Center. According to Dr. Beltran "I wish we could have done more. I hoped we could have saved him. For the race organizers, I hope from now on doctors should be on site during races and not just medics. Few minutes of intervention is critical for saving lives. I am thankful for Makati Rescue for providing AED and adequate meds. I just wish the laryngoscope was working (i'm still beating myself up for not being able to intubate on time). I wish i had a flashlight. I wish I ran faster so I could have helped him a little earlier (5mins of arrest before I got to him) For fellow runners, it's always best to know your body and run safe.

I pray for R D. I pray that this will be a reminder for all of us.

Meaning of Hypokalemia from http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/hypokalemia

@wyette -- ahaha nakita mo din pala ako nagsi-stretch sa gutter. well, ganun talaga. nde natin malaman kelan aatake ang rayuma,, este ang pulikat pla :P

nung sa binti palang kaya ko pa eh. stretching, pahinga onti, then run slow. pero nung lagpas na 16km, nasa hita ko na yung pulikat. so sabi ko nde ko na pilitin, i'll just conserve my strength para matapos lang. para iwas injury na din. next time ko na kunin yung iaalok mong PAU liniment :P hehe thanks

@floppydrive -- may post ka pala nauna dun sakin. nde ko din agad nabasa. kala ko pa naman narevive or nakarecover yung runner. :(

nice FR.. thanks for the post.

happy monday to everyone!

I just read through my email the statement of PSE and the doctors who were reviving the fallen runner. May he rest in peace. I was confident he would survive kasi when i passedby them, the one resuscitating shouted "he's up! He's up!" Then i heard the sirens of ambulances. I had to slow down, but not stop as i know the place need more air and having more people there won't help. Sad lang that he did not survive. :(

Pati mga kapatid ko now are trying to stop me fromjoining the condura tuloy. Naparanoid.though i do not have any physiological problems except my weight. :lol: no history or anything na rin naman except well, my weight pa rin. :lol: my blood chemistry results were okay as well. Sana lang i will survive the condura. :)

I just read through my email the statement of PSE and the doctors who were reviving the fallen runner. May he rest in peace. I was confident he would survive kasi when i passedby them, the one resuscitating shouted "he's up! He's up!" Then i heard the sirens of ambulances. I had to slow down, but not stop as i know the place need more air and having more people there won't help. Sad lang that he did not survive. :(

Pati mga kapatid ko now are trying to stop me fromjoining the condura tuloy. Naparanoid.though i do not have any physiological problems except my weight. :lol: no history or anything na rin naman except well, my weight pa rin. :lol: my blood chemistry results were okay as well. Sana lang i will survive the condura. :)

Not to be meant as an endorsement, but the advertisement of Gatorade that you'll need 1.5 liters of Gatorade for every hour of exercise is kinda accurate. The sweat and electrolytes lost by sweating needs to be replaced, and Gatorade's 1.5liter/hour is a good rough average of how much of the stuff you'll need to drink to make up for the losses.

If you really want to measure your personal requirement, all you have to do is weigh yourself before the run, measure all that you drink during the run, measure the urine passed (if any), then weigh after the run, in kilograms. The liters of fluids lost from sweat is the weight before the run, plus the weight of fluids consumed, less urine passed, less weight after the run. Since you know the duration of the run, you now have an estimate of your hourly fluid loss and how much fluid you need to take.

Going back to the PSE Bull Run, super konti yung Sports drink stations nung run. But then again, a runner has to be prepared on his own to take care of his own requirements. Baon ka ng Gels, salt caps, potato chips, banana, etc. para sigurado hindi ka kakapusin. Natakot din ako dati nung naubusan ng tubig sa Milo Manila eliminations noong 2010 tapos may namatay sa km 18 o 19 ng 21k run.

PSE Bull Run is a very good event...

Thankful ako sa napakadaming yelo sa mga stations para macooldown ang katawan ko...

nakatulong din sa pulikat ko yung yelo... :rolleyes:

Naging usapan din naming mga katrabaho ko yung mangyayaring Condura run (in relation dun sa namatay) at sinabi na lang namin na kilalanin ang katawan kung kaya pang tumakbo at wag pilitin kung may nararamdaman nang kakaiba...

kahit regular runners tayo ay hindi natin masasabi...

Had my recovery run earlier at MOA (4am-5am). ang lamig... hahaha

When I went to the office, I saw a very pretty foreigner girl running along EDSA-Estrella.... :wub:

try ko sabayan next time... :lol:

upto now masakit pa din hita/binti ko.. araw araw ko halos minamasahe/stretch.. try ko itakbo this weekend. hopefully wla na sakit by that time

mukhang kelangan na ng TLC from favorite thera :) booooooooommm!!!

Dapat may recovery RUN- kahit 3-5km slow pace lang about 24 hrs after para makatulong sa pag-flush out ng toxins sa muscles.

Pero OK din yung TLC! ;-D