Dreaming To Be A Famous Photographer

buttakkal

snapback.pngglock19, on 16 February 2011 - 09:19 AM, said:

Recently got into photography as a hobby. First time dslr user. Got a 7d and the 17-55 lens. It is awesome. Makes me look like a better photographer than I really am :lol:

Exactly my thoughts, nasa lens ang magandang quality ng pictures...

I can be wrong...

Maganda din naman sir un 17-55 dba.. may 2.8 n opening...

The best ang Sigma lense.

Mahal nga lang sa Pinas...

Sigma overall has a terrible reliability record. And their out of box quality is inconsistent. I looked at a Sigma SD1, thinking th Foveon sensor would be really good. Never got to look at the image quality. When I opened the factory-sealed box, it was full of dust, even on the mirror. Gave it bck to the sales clerk and went on to look at other brands. Ended up buying a Pentax.

Sigma is not the most expensive lens around - in fact, it's rather cheap compared to other brands.

Imho mas maraming issues ang 17-55 f/2.8 ... errr sigma lens is slow on focusing... even 24-70 70-200 di sharp....

Sigma is the cheapest lens around that's true.. pero kung wide lang im going for tamron 11-22 f/2.8 Bakal pa

@glock19 - what made you buy 17-55 F/2.8? (just want to know your thoughts)

@agxo3 - pentax owner what model? Question lang.. what made you buy pentax?

Imho mas maraming issues ang 17-55 f/2.8 ... errr sigma lens is slow on focusing... even 24-70 70-200 di sharp....

Sigma is the cheapest lens around that's true.. pero kung wide lang im going for tamron 11-22 f/2.8 Bakal pa

I have a Pentax DS1. Old model digital, have had it for over 5 years now. Still a great camera for how I use it. Mostly manual focus, mostly manual exposure setting. Picked it because I like the way Pentax lenses render images. Great tonality, nicely sharp, nice patina to the B/W images in B/W. I've always liked Pentax for their glass, even though I have way too many cameras.

2 Leicas (M3 and M6 - and Leica lenses are legendary for sharpness and tonality as well, but different from the Pentax lenses), a Hasselblad 500CM (extremely sharp lenses - maybe TOO sharp? - and very high contrast), 2 4x5 cameras (with 4 lenses to go with them, a 90mm, 120mm, 180mm, 300mm), an old Yashica 635 (120 roll film camera with a 35mm adapter. Lens not too sharp but good balance of contrast and tonality), a Nikon FM2n (the 55mm micro-focusing lens is great. Now all I need is the 85mm for a good mid-length prime). And more - 27 all told, at last count, although many of them are collectors items, not for regular use.

But, my daily user right now is a Panasonic G2 that I use my Leica M lenses on. All my film cameras are manual focus, and I rarely use outoffocus (no, that's not a typo!) even on my digitals.

Edited by agxo3

oh i see leica very expensive lenses even the camera also ^_^

Not so expensive if you buy them used as I did. They're built like tanks and as long as you care for them, they will outlast you. The newest of my lenses was built in 1972, and it still outperforms most new lenses I've tried recently.

Before I bought my equipment I did some research and asked a couple of friends who were pros. One of them told me whatever lenses I buy make sure it's 2.8 or faster. I checked the different websites and compared lenses. For walk around on crop bodies the best was the 17-55 2.8 is usm from canon. It was an L-quality lens in an efs shell. And it was wide enough with just enough tele for everyday use (27-88 equivalent). The kit lenses were either 15-85 or 18-135(?) and both were f3.5 - 5.6. Too slow. I wanted to be able to shoot in low-light or use available light without flash as much as possible. True enough the 2.8 allowed me to take a lot of shots indoors and outdoors without using flash. No regrets talaga. The camera stores will keep recommending the more common lenses but my vote goes to this one. Next target 70-200 2.8 is2 sum B)

• 1 month later...

Before I bought my equipment I did some research and asked a couple of friends who were pros. One of them told me whatever lenses I buy make sure it's 2.8 or faster. I checked the different websites and compared lenses. For walk around on crop bodies the best was the 17-55 2.8 is usm from canon. It was an L-quality lens in an efs shell. And it was wide enough with just enough tele for everyday use (27-88 equivalent). The kit lenses were either 15-85 or 18-135(?) and both were f3.5 - 5.6. Too slow. I wanted to be able to shoot in low-light or use available light without flash as much as possible. True enough the 2.8 allowed me to take a lot of shots indoors and outdoors without using flash. No regrets talaga. The camera stores will keep recommending the more common lenses but my vote goes to this one. Next target 70-200 2.8 is2 sum B)

So why 2.8? What sorts of pictures do you shoot?

One thing to note, guys - it's not all about the equipment you use, although at some point that becomes important. But most ofyo are not at that point yet. It's all about the photographer.

Lenses, bodies, printers - those are just tools. Nothing more than that. You have to learn two things - one, how touse your tools to your best adavantage, and how to SEE. Bright, over-saturated, overly contrasty, over sharpenened images - yes, there's a WOW! factor tothem, but they are no better than commercial-grade photos. ANY monkey with a decent set of equipment can produce those.

Show me REAL photos with emotion, feeling and depth. Tell me a story with those images. Make me feel what you felt when you decided to shoot that image. Not another dramatic sunset - so what? Those happen every day. Not another red umbrella on a sea of grey. That happens every time the rain clouds come out.

Yes, I have a lot of cameras, and some of them are really great cameras. But I only have them because they are the best tools around for me to tell my stories with my images. And I am lucky enough to be able to afford them. But I started with a Yashica 35 - a cheap fixed 45 mm f3.5 lens 35mm camera. And I won two photo contest with that - against pros using Nikons and Hasselblads. What does THAT tell you?

Camera equipmentitis will only get you one thing - poor. It won't get you good photos. You doubt me? Take a look at what Dominique James shoots with his iPhone. Look it up on Twitter. With a simple iPhone camera, he shoots images that are haunting, poignant, powerful. I wish I could shoot like that. BTW, Dominique is a Pinoy photographer who's moved to NY and now works in the fashion photography industry.

2.8 because aside from landscapes and outings or vacations I shoot indoors a lot (family events, etc) and also like it that I rarely need to use flash. Plus the bokeh is great too. I now have only 2 lenses the 17-55 and 70-200 both 2.8 is usm.

But I agree wholeheartedly that what's important is the Indian and not his arrow. My mindset is I have to be worthy of the equipment I'm using. I want to reach the point where I'm maximizing my equipment's potential. Nakakahiya if ang ganda ng equipment tapos bulok pa din mga shots ko. I hope someday to be able to tell great stories with my pictures. But malayo pa siguro. As one expert said: the best way to grow is just keep shooting.

So why 2.8? What sorts of pictures do you shoot?

One thing to note, guys - it's not all about the equipment you use, although at some point that becomes important. But most ofyo are not at that point yet. It's all about the photographer.

Lenses, bodies, printers - those are just tools. Nothing more than that. You have to learn two things - one, how touse your tools to your best adavantage, and how to SEE. Bright, over-saturated, overly contrasty, over sharpenened images - yes, there's a WOW! factor tothem, but they are no better than commercial-grade photos. ANY monkey with a decent set of equipment can produce those.

Show me REAL photos with emotion, feeling and depth. Tell me a story with those images. Make me feel what you felt when you decided to shoot that image. Not another dramatic sunset - so what? Those happen every day. Not another red umbrella on a sea of grey. That happens every time the rain clouds come out.

Yes, I have a lot of cameras, and some of them are really great cameras. But I only have them because they are the best tools around for me to tell my stories with my images. And I am lucky enough to be able to afford them. But I started with a Yashica 35 - a cheap fixed 45 mm f3.5 lens 35mm camera. And I won two photo contest with that - against pros using Nikons and Hasselblads. What does THAT tell you?

Camera equipmentitis will only get you one thing - poor. It won't get you good photos. You doubt me? Take a look at what Dominique James shoots with his iPhone. Look it up on Twitter. With a simple iPhone camera, he shoots images that are haunting, poignant, powerful. I wish I could shoot like that. BTW, Dominique is a Pinoy photographer who's moved to NY and now works in the fashion photography industry.

Edited by glock19

Guys, I want to learn photography. The art and concepts. Ok lang po ba if digicam lang ang dala ko? Meron din ako de film na SLR kaso wala nang battery na available dito sa amin province.

you still can learn the concepts of composition. actually composition can make or break a photo.

pero it still pays that you have a camera that can be manually controlled.

Sharing my Iphone photo of my sculpture.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5174/5484941705_eff421298f_z.jpg

No photo manipulation and no cropping. Learning to love the Iphone. Now, I barely bring my Lumix LX3. Mas lalo nang tinamad magdala ng camera.

Edited by storm
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Serenity12

Sharing my Iphone photo of my sculpture.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5174/5484941705_eff421298f_z.jpg

No photo manipulation and no cropping. Learning to love the Iphone. Now, I barely bring my Lumix LX3. Mas lalo nang tinamad magdala ng camera.

Beautiful sculpture, sir. and impressive photo for a camera phone. I'm starting to re-think my decision of getting a blackberry instead of an iphone.

• 2 months later...

Hi. I think there's no Tamron 24-70 but rather 28-75mm 2.8. If you're into portraits, that's a good lens, it really depends on the subject that you are shooting. \

I have tamron 17-50, and it's great since I can shoot wide for landscape, group shoot and I can shoot my friends as many as.. I also have Canon 24-70, it is a mid range perfect for portrait aside from primes.

Just pm me if you need more clarifications. I don't usually do online here. hehehe

am going for tamron 24-70 f2.8 to complement my 50mm f1.4 prime... am into photography simply to capture life's adventures...

Guys, I want to learn photography. The art and concepts. Ok lang po ba if digicam lang ang dala ko? Meron din ako de film na SLR kaso wala nang battery na available dito sa amin province.

First you have to know what field of photography that you are interested, it maybe landscape, portrait, macro etc (this will make it easier for you to decide what kind of equipment that fits your needs)... basically the concept of photography is about light, how much and how less light do you want to your shots...

Well for the art part, for me it something that is innate to an artist, it is you who will define it... Digicam (Aim and shoot) is fine for beginners, but as you go along you will definitely get bored by it because it limits your freedom artistically... and that is where manually controlled DSLR will come in...

For a start, you have to learn what is a composition (rule of third)... then control the light by learning the relationship between shutter speed, aperture, ISO and white balance...

Hope that helps.wink.gif