Who Is Into Scale Modelling?

coolestboy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here are some pics of the original donor car the Knight Industries 2000 (KITT) was based on. It was a 1982 Trans Am Firebird and this model is in 1/24 scale from Monogram.

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt302/CivicVTi_2009/IMG_0537.jpg

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt302/CivicVTi_2009/IMG_0530.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi... Great forum...

I'm into Scale Modelling but I'm still an amateur up to now...

I've researched a lot but I always ended up not finishing my scale models...

I used to buy WWII planes when I was a kid and wasnt serious enough and just ended up gluing and finishing the model... When I was in High School I found an Italeri F-16A for about a 100pesos bec. Tamiya Models is so expensive (I think even still now!) but didnt know how to use paints... then my sister bought me a genuine F-14 Tomcat 1:72 scale from the U.S. which has decals from the original movie - TOP GUN by Tom Cruise, but just barely started the cockpit and the front nose - (Somehow it was misplaced by my bestfriend who is now in Canada - together with the rest of my other Scale Models which were mainly Academy Kits). I bought a SU-27 1:48 Academy Kit in Seoul when I was in Korea last 1998 but also didnt finish bec. my painting was soooooo bad (I used spray paint cans) - this one I left behind from my workplace somewhere in the pacific but I bought it for a cheap price bec. I saw it from an old store in Seoul (like a typical sari-sari store) which doesnt really sell models but just happens to be there - and so I ended up bringing the big box in the Airport as additions to my luggage.

Scale Modelling however, brought me to love everything about every aircraft esp. US aircraft (F-14,F-15,F-16,A-10,F-22,F-117,Apache,Cobra,etc.) and Russian Aircraft(Su-27,Su-22,Mig-29,Antonov,Hind,etc).

For now I am here in Kuala Lumpur and hoping to start again and continue and happen to see Trumpeter Model Kits which has China Airforce Aircrafts and they are on sale for 50% discount last month.

Glad to hear from fellow amateur modellers. I hope you can provide Paint Techniques esp. for us amateurs who were having problems with paints and gluing parts.

1. Are Spray Paint Cans that good? or should we invest in expensive Air Brush Machines?

2. Are there cheap Air Brush Machines (locally made or Purchase Abroad)? Price Range?

3. How can we know when to use Spray paints or Brush?

4. how about using Putty? even now I still have problems with parts that have gaps when they are fitted?

5. Any Particular techniques in painting camouflage like mixing Green/Black/White/Brown?

6. Any tips about doing Weathering?

I read about using a clear top coat paint after finishing the paints and the decals to preserve the look. I also read that the 'mint' condition of the scale model also depends on the genuine Decals which are based on hard-to-find real insignias from the military.

Keep us updated and good to hear from this forum.

P.S. Any info on where I can buy the original TOP GUN movie F-14? as I've said it was already lost, and I wanted to buy again, but I can't search anything from the internet. Any info would be very well appreciated. I think my previous model kit was made by Revell. Thanks

Sir,

To answer your questions:

1) Depende po sa inyo, Spray cans are good if application is sa big surface. bur for smaller items, you can handbrush it. this is what I do since namamahalan din ako sa AB.

2) Those are china made. around 3k-5k sa compressor and another 1k-2k for the airbrush.

3) big surface na same color, pwede and spray, while smaller details are painted by brush.

4) for putty, a trick I learned is to delute it using the bottled plastic cement. easy to apply and hindi agad tumitigas. You need to sand the excess carefully.

5) Masking tape or a modelling clay / silly putty / blue tac can do the trick. you need to apply the most prominent color first. then using a modelling clay, cover the ones you want to retain. spray again. add the clay for the colors you want to retain then repeat. Spray lightly and you need to identify the angle of your spray for added effects.

6) I don't usually weather but you can look it up sa youtube. a lot of help and tips there as well.

question about sanding, ano mashshare nyong tips about it? ang alam ko is start ka sa 250, down to 800 then 1k grits para mawala yung nubmarks. pero nakakatakot magasgasan yung kit haha

For sanding depende po sa part na gusto mong i-sand.

General thing that I use is 300 then 600 then 1000 then 1200 then 2000 then 2500

gradual increase can remove the scratch marks.

also, for cars, motorbikes, and clear parts, aside from the above, use 4000, then 6000, then 8000, lastly 12000 grit sand papers. These higher grits are available in hobby shops only.

Hope this helps

My first Kits are way back 2003-2004 I finished it using mighty bond and no paint. I don't know the hobby yet and no mentors to ask.

2012 was when I got the chance to get back to this hobby after my airsoft days. Met a lot of people who's into it as well and got great tips and help from them.

Kits finished are:

P51 Mustang in PAF decals

A6M2B Zero

SU-27

SU-34

F-14

F-5E

P-39 Lightning

Delica Van

Honda CB400 Super 4

Mig-21

Mig-15

F-5A

I don't usually weather my kits. I like it shiny. hehehe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good day, just got into plastic model kits last month. I started with Bandai starwars ,without seeng SW7 immediately bought 2 kits (na naka pikit).Built the X-wing and Tie fighter.......another "advance tie fighter" later. Baka ready na ko sa styrene cement?.....ordered the AMT Milleneum Falcon 1:58 scale.But the kit arrives in 2 weeks, need to test the water. I got the cheapest available kit in the store, 1:144 scale f4 phantom. Got my first cement,paint,and 0 brush.

What did I learn so far? 1. Dont get a small kit for a start, kahirap hawakan di ko makita mga details.2. Expect some gaps with low end kits.daw. 3. Remember its a hobby not our livelyhood..addicting, minsan di ako pwedeng kausapin pag nakasalang 4. Bandai are so far the easiest kit to build dahil snap kit no cement and curing needed , pwedeng hawakan at matibay but painting and detailing is a different story.5. Water slide decals....parang magic ganoon pala ...lol. 6. Ang papayat lang pala nang fiberoptic contents nang mga linya natin sa mga cable. Ga buhok at 4 to 6 fibers lang yata(need it to light the inside cabin)

I am now starting my MF, I'll build majority of it in my office and leave it there to have quality family time at home. I will give 3 days for every step in the curing and painting of segments.Started painting the toothpick sized arm of Hans and Chewbaca.Some parts are not flush ,di lapat dahil parang shape nang clam ang MF.

Sa palagay ko mas ok sa klase nang lifestyle ko ang mabagal na construction at di napupuyat, pag na construct na kasi you need to buy a new kit to start the process all over.

Glad I was able to get into this hobby and also to this forum.Cheers

• 1 month later...

Wasabi toys sa greenhills.. puro gundam lng ba dun?

Mostly yes at may mga ibang kits at figures din sa iba't ibang anime. Madaming gundam shops sa greenhills so I suggest na maglibot ka muna and ask the prices of the items you want to buy and compare sa ibang shops para makuha mo yung gusto mo for less. May shop din naman sa greenhills na mabibilhan mo ng mga tanks, aircrafts, cars, motorcycles, ship model kits, paints at tools, ito yung Special Toys center (STC).

• 1 month later...