Who Is Into Scale Modelling?

coolestboy

Somewhere earlier on this thread I mentioned this bad experience with this owner of a chain of hobby shops. He just happened to be at Festival Mall when I was eyeing a 1/32 Hasegawa Fw 190 on a really high shelf. I asked him if that was the new tool kit and he said it was, but I had my doubts since the box looked old. So I asked him again if it had recessed panel lines, he insisted that it did. Still having doubts, I said I would come back for it when I had the cash and then I checked the internet. It really was the old kit.

Welcome to the Winston Chua Fans Club...

But seriously, Winston and I are friends. Winston is a very good person and a very good friend (HONEST!!!) Just avoid mixing money matters with your friendship... then Dr. Jekyll turns into Mr. Hyde.

I think it's not really him doing the stuff intetionally. I think it's his perception of things and business matters. That's what makes it problematic.

Jun

Welcome to the Winston Chua Fans Club...

But seriously, Winston and I are friends. Winston is a very good person and a very good friend (HONEST!!!) Just avoid mixing money matters with your friendship... then Dr. Jekyll turns into Mr. Hyde.

I think it's not really him doing the stuff intetionally. I think it's his perception of things and business matters. That's what makes it problematic.

Jun

So there really is a Winston Chua fan club? Hahahaha! When I first met him back when IPMS BAC was the only game in town for the nats, he was ranting in a really loud voice about how the judging was fixed. I'm sure I'll find him a good person if I ever get to talk to him on a personal basis. After all, he is part of the hobby... and that counts for something, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

don't go there on Sunday afternoons hehehe. i go there on weekdays. but i think i had a good deal when i got the Trumpeter 1/32 F-14D Super Tomcat for 3.9k :D

Gosh, I was eyeing that Trump F-14D in Lil's just before Christmas. I think I'll get mine there, Josie always has a soft spot for me and will push at giving me a better discount. I think.

Gosh, I was eyeing that Trump F-14D in Lil's just before Christmas. I think I'll get mine there, Josie always has a soft spot for me and will push at giving me a better discount. I think.

Uyyyy, sila na ni Josie... :heart:

Seriously, you should also try STC in Greenhills... Dalaga pa si Gina (yung head doon)... hehehe :thumbsupsmiley:

Jun

I'm loyal to my love Josie :heart: but you can have Lil, also dalaga, right?

Ah, yes... it's rare to find a one woman man...

I remember Yul Bryner's famous line in the movie "The King and I"...

"Woman is like flower and man is like bee... It is natural for bee to go from flower to flower but not for flower to go from bee to bee to bee..." :lol:

Jun

Ah, yes... it's rare to find a one woman man...

I remember Yul Bryner's famous line in the movie "The King and I"...

"Woman is like flower and man is like bee... It is natural for bee to go from flower to flower but not for flower to go from bee to bee to bee..." :lol:

Jun

And I am what you would call a modeling whore.

Dropped by Roel's store after buying some pirated DVDs (shame on me!). He still has a lot of old kits, probably on consignment. A few are reasonably priced but most are too goddamn expensive.

I ended up buying a water damanged 1/48 Fujimi Intruder for P500.

Edited by Dr_PepPeR

^ Greetings sir. I believe this would be my first post. As I mentioned in the Airsoft thread, I'm thinking getting back into this hobby while the gun ban is being enforced. I haven't visited any hobby shops so I'm quite in the dark as to the prices of model kits. Would you know how much 1/35 scale kits for tanks cost nowadays?

^ Greetings sir. I believe this would be my first post. As I mentioned in the Airsoft thread, I'm thinking getting back into this hobby while the gun ban is being enforced. I haven't visited any hobby shops so I'm quite in the dark as to the prices of model kits. Would you know how much 1/35 scale kits for tanks cost nowadays?

Welcome and thank you sir for visiting us! For kits and supplies, my favorite is still Lil's over at Parksquare, MCC but they do have an outlet in Megamall basement. For decent 1/35 armor kits, I would recommend the latest DML/Dragon kits which lately have included photo etch, magic tracks and aluminum barrels and cost between P1000 to P1300. If you want something a bit cheaper, look at the new Trumpeter kits, they usually sell for a little less than the Dragon kits. Of course, for superb kit engineering, you can't go wrong with Tamiya, which cost a little more than the DML/Dragon kits but are simpler to build. If you have any questions, especially on aircraft kits, Herr Boelcke and steiner often drop by and share their wisdom with us. Hope to see you here more often sir!

I agree that it is a hard question to answer because it is simply too broad. How about if I do it this way?

1. Toenail Clippers or Small Electric Pliers with Cutter - free, if lying around

2. Academy 1/72 airplane kit - about P250

3. 400 or 600 grit sandpaper - about P10

4. A few bottles of Tamiya Acrylic Paint - about P360?

5. A good quality round paintbrush - about P100

6. Masking Tape - free, if lying around

7. The satisfaction of making a scale airplane kit and hand flying it around your room while making engine and machinegun sounds - priceless.

If you don't plan on painting the kit, you can skip numbers 4 - 6 and it comes out even cheaper.

Number 7 is the reason I build models in the first place..

Welcome and thank you sir for visiting us! For kits and supplies, my favorite is still Lil's over at Parksquare, MCC but they do have an outlet in Megamall basement. For decent 1/35 armor kits, I would recommend the latest DML/Dragon kits which lately have included photo etch, magic tracks and aluminum barrels and cost between P1000 to P1300. If you want something a bit cheaper, look at the new Trumpeter kits, they usually sell for a little less than the Dragon kits. Of course, for superb kit engineering, you can't go wrong with Tamiya, which cost a little more than the DML/Dragon kits but are simpler to build. If you have any questions, especially on aircraft kits, Herr Boelcke and steiner often drop by and share their wisdom with us. Hope to see you here more often sir!

Thanks for the information sir! I was taken aback a little when you quoted the prices of today's 1/35 armor kits. Before, that amount of money would have bought me the kit as well as the paint I would use. I'm also pleasantly surprised to see photo echn is now part of the kits. Before you had to buy them separately or make them on your own if you can.

OT, I've been trying to access the hyperscale website. They have some good links to models and advice on building as well but all I get is a 404 error. Do you know the new url? Thanks again!

Thanks for the information sir! I was taken aback a little when you quoted the prices of today's 1/35 armor kits. Before, that amount of money would have bought me the kit as well as the paint I would use. I'm also pleasantly surprised to see photo echn is now part of the kits. Before you had to buy them separately or make them on your own if you can.

OT, I've been trying to access the hyperscale website. They have some good links to models and advice on building as well but all I get is a 404 error. Do you know the new url? Thanks again!

It's still

www.hyperscale.com

Check it again.

Jun

Well sir, gasoline prices have gone up as well since that time :D. As I mentioned somewhere here, serious scale modeling is really an adult hobby with adult prices. At least, kits have also vastly improved since then. There are still cheap kits around, and I'm quite happy with most of the Trumpeter armor kits.

Well sir, gasoline prices have gone up as well since that time :D. As I mentioned somewhere here, serious scale modeling is really an adult hobby with adult prices. At least, kits have also vastly improved since then. There are still cheap kits around, and I'm quite happy with most of the Trumpeter armor kits.

And if you really do not want to spend on kits then do what the master modelers do... scratch build! That is, in my opinion, the ultimate in modeling.

Jun

Right now, I'm finishing my 1/700 Prinz Eugen and the destroyer Manchester (also in 1/700). I can't do much because I'm also preparing for a large diorama project with a couple of my colleagues at IPMS Manila. We were contracted to do two 3-foot dioramas for the Philippine Veterans Week to be displayed at the AFP Museum. It will depict the events that transpired at the Battle for Bessang Pass in World War 2.

We're currently talking with the resource people (while I do some research on my own) to come up with a reasonable depiction of what really hapened (with some leeway for 'artistic license', of course). It should be ready before the Araw ng Kagitigan (hopefully). I'll be posting pictures soon.

Jun

So what's everybody building? I'm still stuck on painting the NATO camo on my Academy Bradley. Will start a 1/72 jet so I can finish something quickly.
Right now, I'm finishing my 1/700 Prinz Eugen and the destroyer Manchester (also in 1/700). I can't do much because I'm also preparing for a large diorama project with a couple of my colleagues at IPMS Manila. We were contracted to do two 3-foot dioramas for the Philippine Veterans Week to be displayed at the AFP Museum. It will depict the events that transpired at the Battle for Bessang Pass in World War 2.

We're currently talking with the resource people (while I do some research on my own) to come up with a reasonable depiction of what really hapened (with some leeway for 'artistic license', of course). It should be ready before the Araw ng Kagitigan (hopefully). I'll be posting pictures soon.

Jun

I hope that huge diorama is 1/35 scale sir! That would really be HUGE! When is veterans week anyway? Does it coincide with independence day?

I saw a new Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire at Lil's but had no time to look at the price. Would anyone know?

Araw ng Kagitingan, April 9. That's why we have a few weeks lang eh.

Jun

I hope that huge diorama is 1/35 scale sir! That would really be HUGE! When is veterans week anyway? Does it coincide with independence day?

I saw a new Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire at Lil's but had no time to look at the price. Would anyone know?