Who Is Into Scale Modelling?

coolestboy

i have always wanted to go into scale modelling, any tips on what i should purchase as a start up kit? where can i get these supplies? i have seen a shop in megamall called lil's i asked the people there what i need as a start up kit but they were just too busy.

and lastly, what scale model should i buy that is easy for newbies?

It depends on the subject and scale you want to model. For 1/48 scale aircraft or 1/35 scale armored fighting vehicles, you can start with Academy kits since they are relatively cheap. Also aircraft and AFV's in 1/72 scale are cheaper than their bigger counterparts. Lil's in Megamall or Parksquare is a good source for buying kits and tools. You can ask specific questions here and we will try to help you out.

For those of you not bored by my posts, I was finally able to find the lost sprocket of my 1/35 T-25 Russian tankette as it inexplicably turned up in the carpet of my car. The last time I saw it two months ago, it was flying halfway across my bedroom. I now have resumed painting the model and put a coat of Wipe and Shine applied with a brush. Two observations here:

1) Wipe and Shine is much thinner than Future, and probably works better airbrushed. To achieve a gloss coat, you have to apply two or three coats to the model.

2) A coat of Wipe and Shine will darken the paint. In my case I used lightened Tamiya acrylics, as I was trying to achieve a scale color effect but the Wipe and Shine coat darkened it even deeper than the original unmixed base paint.

It depends on the subject and scale you want to model. For 1/48 scale aircraft or 1/35 scale armored fighting vehicles, you can start with Academy kits since they are relatively cheap. Also aircraft and AFV's in 1/72 scale are cheaper than their bigger counterparts. Lil's in Megamall or Parksquare is a good source for buying kits and tools. You can ask specific questions here and we will try to help you out.

For those of you not bored by my posts, I was finally able to find the lost sprocket of my 1/35 T-25 Russian tankette as it inexplicably turned up in the carpet of my car. The last time I saw it two months ago, it was flying halfway across my bedroom. I now have resumed painting the model and put a coat of Wipe and Shine applied with a brush. Two observations here:

1) Wipe and Shine is much thinner than Future, and probably works better airbrushed. To achieve a gloss coat, you have to apply two or three coats to the model.

2) A coat of Wipe and Shine will darken the paint. In my case I used lightened Tamiya acrylics, as I was trying to achieve a scale color effect but the Wipe and Shine coat darkened it even deeper than the original unmixed base paint.

Wow! Finally it turned up! But how did it get from the room to the car? Pretty strong black hole!

hehe, Carpet. I've lost a lot of small parts because of carpet. :( i end up replacing them with scratchbuilt parts.

Anyway, i used Wipe-n-Shine to "re-gloss" the lens of my old plastic Oakley and it looks FINE.

In any case of lost eye sight due to chemicals. i will inform you guys. *hehe*

Just to keep with the topic. will Dragon produce more 1/144 scale planes? i think i have them all.

parang Pokemon. Gotta catch em all.

Accurate, beautiful decals and fine moldings for a small scale.

i have always wanted to go into scale modelling, any tips on what i should purchase as a start up kit? where can i get these supplies? i have seen a shop in megamall called lil's i asked the people there what i need as a start up kit but they were just too busy.

and lastly, what scale model should i buy that is easy for newbies?

Dude, if you're looking for people who are not too busy. Go to Special Toys Center at AliMall Cubao.

Super accomodating sila. just ask and they will answer. They wont disturb you if you're just browsing around and if you're interested just shoot them a question and wont be ignored. Also Lil's Park Square super accomodating din din. I doubt sa megamall. mejo pre-occupied sila eh. except dun sa builder ng RC helicopters.

Anyway, if you're looking for beginer friendly kits. Try building cars first them move towards building tanks and airplanes. :thumbsupsmiley:

Wow! Finally it turned up! But how did it get from the room to the car? Pretty strong black hole!

I'm pretty used to the bizarre way the Modeling Bermuda Triangle works. My scientific guess on the other hand is that it went inside a shoe, I put the shoes in the backseat of the car, sudden stop and the shoe rolls on the floor disgorging the errant sprocket which rolls under the driver's seat and pops out in full view after my collision with a car in front of me two months later.

Sorry for TRIPLE posting, but i found a great tip from Docs, website.

mixing future with food color makes great cheap "clear colors"

i'll try it once i have fresh supply of future again.

I've actually tried this and it works. The problem is there are no food color equivalents to dark green (for Huey overhead windows) or gold tint (for jet canopies) or even gray.

I've actually tried this and it works. The problem is there are no food color equivalents to dark green (for Huey overhead windows) or gold tint (for jet canopies) or even gray.
sorry but in Canada there r lots of those colours everywhere u look i knw beco'z i have those colours an i use them on my cars for engine area os chassis
I will try to build my newly bought SHANGHAI DRAGON

UH-60 1/144 scale!

get two kits with one box! and the detail is GREAT!

http://www.dragonmodelsltd.com/catalog/dml/new/4578/4578.1.jpg

Hey that's kewl! Wish my eyesight and hand coordination would permit me to build such small kits. Post some construction pix.

Dammit. its been a week already all i've got accomplished is removing the hull from the sprue. >:(

super busy sa office. lalo na we got some visitors coming this monday

I sometimes bring to office a tedious modeling task, like cleaning up a seam. I can wet sand while going through the official e-mail.

hi all!

i started scale modelling with zoids and gundam figures.

i am planning to scratch build model ships.

does anybody know where can i buy styrene in the country?

thanks...

Lil's at Park Square 1 and at Megamall has Evergreen Styrene sheets, various beams and rods in stock. You can also go to Hobbies and Comics at Makati Cinema Square where they also have some Evergreen Styrene stuff and one time I saw some Squadron packaged styrene sheets of various thickness, including a couple of clear sheets ideal for vacuforming.

I'm not sure if Hobbies and Comics still has sheets. Last time I passed by, their stocks were very low and it seems they're not that keen on replenishing. Lil's definitely maintains stocks.

Yes, Roel and Natalie's stock of Evergreen styrene isn't as good as Lil's but sometimes you can find rods and sheets that are out of stock at Lil's. It was here that I also saw the packaged styrene sheets distributed by Squadron that had half bond paper sized styrene sheets of varying thicknesses plus two clear styrene sheets for heat punching or vacu forming clear parts like canopies.

hi doc and to all!

dropped by to check out the thread again. I feel pretty lost because most of you guys are into aircraft modelling, ako na lang yata ang gumagawa ng 1/35 scale WW2 armour dito ah! :unsure:

I like the thing "bermuda triangle", just like the carpet monster of armour modellers! any armour modellers out there? :cry:

hi doc and to all!

dropped by to check out the thread again. I feel pretty lost because most of you guys are into aircraft modelling, ako na lang yata ang gumagawa ng 1/35 scale WW2 armour dito ah! :unsure:

I like the thing "bermuda triangle", just like the carpet monster of armour modellers! any armour modellers out there? :cry:

1/35 AFV modeller primarily. WWII and modern tanks, also softskins. Currently working on Zvezda T-26 Russian tankette and Panzer I, it feels like doing 1/72 aircraft.

1/35 AFV modeller primarily. WWII and modern tanks, also softskins. Currently working on Zvezda T-26 Russian tankette and Panzer I, it feels like doing 1/72 aircraft.

Zvezda. I never brought an AFV kit from that brand yet. Probably my subconscious is still recoiling from the memory when I got their Russian WW2 infantry set way back in the 90's, damn, they were so crappy! Spent my whole time cleaning seam lines and the fit of equipment was horrible! Reminded me when I got my 1st ESCI kit of SS troops! Awful, I was a teenager that time but I knew then that it was bigger than 1/35 scale, actually it might be bigger than 1/32! :thumbsdownsmiley:

Sorry for the rant, my kits are mainly Tamiya then dominated by DML. I've been contemplating on getting a Trumpeter kit. Reviews from Missing Lynx, Armorama and PMMS are quite okay, might try their KV series.