Who Is Into Scale Modelling?

coolestboy

What ship and what scale?

well typical commercial vessels( cargo vessels etc. ) about 98 meters , scale would be 1:20 or 1:10 . i just want to have idea regarding cost (labor+materials). thanks

: garlicbread@yahoo ( wla na yan )

Edited by nilisticool
Hey Doc!

Are you goin to just blow them up into smitherins?? Sayang naman and that would be a waste. Bakit di mo i donate? Although most kids would want toys that they could play with but i'm sure there are also kids that would appreciate those kinds of toys that they will only look at. Pero kung decided ka na talaga to blow them up eh that would be one hell of a thing thing to see. How bout using a chunk of C4 explosives to blow them up sky high.....hehehehehe!

My nephews have already made me sign a contract that these will be given to them to practice their demolition skills for the new year. The devious little buggers were responsible for taking the kits off the display shelf and wrecking them in the first place!!!

Wow! Great builds, Dr. Pepper and Herr Boelcke!

Galing galing! If only there's time to work on the models.

Herr Boelcke, it's the same with me that as you get more into this hobby, the longer it takes to finish one kit.

I remember when I was 7 years old, I finished 7 1/72 scale aircrafts in one day! Of course at that age I didn't care to paint them. My most recent finish was a tie interceptor (no scale since it's an ERTL kit). finished it in 7 days, painted na. And it took my kid 3 hours to find it, play with it, and turn it into a pile of plastic. hehehe

You are too kind Sir Floppy to mention me in the same breath as Herr Boelcke. I am simply not worthy. I have never entered anything in a contest. My builds are all historically inaccurate, as well as glaring testimonies to my lack of artistic and technical skills. The cellphone camera is very forgiving of build and paint errors. I'll try to take better pictures of my kits with a proper cam so you can see what I mean.

Many thanks, Doc and Sir Floppy!

Actually, most of my builds contain scratchbuilt upgrade parts because, as I told my colleagues, Im too cheap to buy aftermarket. :D No, seriously, I prefer scratchbuilding kasi I enjoy the challenge.

The only aftermarket items I buy regularly are decals. Kasi most kit-supplied decals (expecially yung Japanese brands) turn yellow in only a few years. Kakainis youd spend several months building a model and then maninilaw lang yung decals.

Sir Doc,

Sayang nga talaga yan!! If they cant be restored they could be used for spare parts. Many of my friends are looking for spare parts for their own kits, baka pwede yan. Hehehe!

Does IPMS BAC have a board for spare parts trading. Will gladly give away any bits and pieces after my nephews have their way with the kits, otherwise they will sue me for an arm and a leg. But I still have my box of spares and about 10 or so armor kits that I've stripped the paint off for me to repaint and redecal if I find an interesting reference. I have a Tamiya Centurion that I plan to paint in the Berlin urban camo scheme the Brits used for a while during the Cold War.

well typical commercial vessels( cargo vessels etc. ) about 98 meters , scale would be 1:20 or 1:10 . i just want to have idea regarding cost (labor+materials). thanks

: garlicbread@yahoo ( wla na yan )

1:20 or 1:10 scale?? Man those are big models!!! They'd be bigger than the bancas the fishermen in my province go out to sea in. I would really really love to see the finished models.

Doc,

The Bargain Bin section of the IPMS-BA forum boards allows for spare parts exchanges/trades. The Modelers Guild section of the same forums also allows that. No worries, let your nephews have their way. :)

Btw, the F-8E pic I posted above from the 2005 Nationals was built by Supermario.

Nilisticool,

I agree with Doc Pepper. 1:10 and 1:20 for a commercial ship model would be huge! I dont think it would fit in any conventional workshop. It can be done, sure. But the costs would be astronomical. It will take more than 5 modelers to work on that project.

Doc,

The Bargain Bin section of the IPMS-BA forum boards allows for spare parts exchanges/trades. The Modelers Guild section of the same forums also allows that. No worries, let your nephews have their way. :)

Btw, the F-8E pic I posted above from the 2005 Nationals was built by Supermario.

Nilisticool,

I agree with Doc Pepper. 1:10 and 1:20 for a commercial ship model would be huge! I dont think it would fit in any conventional workshop. It can be done, sure. But the costs would be astronomical. It will take more than 5 modelers to work on that project.

Thank you so much Herr Boelcke. I have had difficulties navigating the IPMS BAC site in the past. I hope I will be patient enough to reregister again. I've seen Supermario's F-8E in person during the 2005 Nationals. I've also seen his builds in Finescale Modeler. What a guy, still humble and helpful after all that fame. Please give him my regards.

I'm reposting my 1/72 Academy AH-64 Apache taken with a digital cam for criticism. This is one of the few 1/72 kits that I have actually finished. My eyes and coordination aren't as good as they were forty years ago when I was still ten years old.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/doctorpep/Apache06.jpg

Edited by Dr_PepPeR
Glossed with Johnsons Wipe and Shine (which darkened all the colors! so much for scale effect paint mixing), applied the decals, sealed with Painter's Touch clear flat, then dry brushed with oils again.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/doctorpep/Apache00.jpg

Doc,

you might call be blind but i'm absolutely sure that your work is a lot better than mine. :thumbsupsmiley: the only way i could hide all the those imperfections in all my kits is by painting it. i must admit that although i'm just around 2-3 months in this hobby i would consider myself good in building and i can do it fast. however, quality wise? well i still have a long way to go. i simply can't do it slow or take my time, i wanted to see it finished once i started it.

Used to do scale modeling 1:35 tamiya world war II european front. That was a very long time ago. heck I even made dioramas made of plaster of paris and some "dinikdik na paso" and good ol' alambre and barbecue sticks for fences. I noticed that tamiya plastics are of good quality. Even if brush lang gamitin mo for painting pantay ang lapat ng paint. unlike hasegawas. pero usually mas maganda pa din ung spray canisters ng tamiya for painting.

Nilisticool,

hehehe ofcourse stupid of me. i was wrong with the scale, standard scale for model ships would be 1:100. For a 98meter ship how much will it cost ? tnx. :thumbsupsmiley:

I dont think you messed up, Doc. Its a fine piece of work.

Just one thing: I think your paint is a little too glossy for an Apache. AH-64s come in really flat colors.

:)

Thank you for being kind to me Herr Boelcke. You have to trust me on this, in real life the paint is flat. The camera picks up too much reflected light because I didn't put any kind of diffuser next to the model.

Doc,

you might call be blind but i'm absolutely sure that your work is a lot better than mine. :thumbsupsmiley: the only way i could hide all the those imperfections in all my kits is by painting it. i must admit that although i'm just around 2-3 months in this hobby i would consider myself good in building and i can do it fast. however, quality wise? well i still have a long way to go. i simply can't do it slow or take my time, i wanted to see it finished once i started it.

Why do you think I paint my kits? It really looks better when the paint hides your excess cement and filled up seams. Of course, now it takes me a lot longer to finish kits, the painting takes about 2/3 of the time. Even a 1/72 kit now takes me at least six months to finish. Don't worry about quality. Intuitively I also think I'm too hard on myself. The most important thing to remember is that we do this for fun, for self-fulfillment, for ourselves. As long as we enjoy it, I would say build it the way you want it. Please keep posting more of your work, you will see the improvement as you build more and more kits. Thanks for sharing.

Nilisticool,

hehehe ofcourse stupid of me. i was wrong with the scale, standard scale for model ships would be 1:100. For a 98meter ship how much will it cost ? tnx. :thumbsupsmiley:

A 1/100 scale model of a 98 meter ship is still huge. I hope you have a big garage. I'd really like to see that model when it's finished.

Used to do scale modeling 1:35 tamiya world war II european front. That was a very long time ago. heck I even made dioramas made of plaster of paris and some "dinikdik na paso" and good ol' alambre and barbecue sticks for fences. I noticed that tamiya plastics are of good quality. Even if brush lang gamitin mo for painting pantay ang lapat ng paint. unlike hasegawas. pero usually mas maganda pa din ung spray canisters ng tamiya for painting.

I think that's because Tamiya plastics are generally cleaner. Try washing your kits first with soap and water before painting and brush the surface with the thinner before you paint it. The commercial spray cans are cheaper than the Tamiya cans, you can use the commercial paint spray cans for putting on a base color to act as a primer. When you have a primer coat on, it is much easier to brush paint it.

Thank you so much Herr Boelcke. I have had difficulties navigating the IPMS BAC site in the past. I hope I will be patient enough to reregister again. I've seen Supermario's F-8E in person during the 2005 Nationals. I've also seen his builds in Finescale Modeler. What a guy, still humble and helpful after all that fame. Please give him my regards.

I'm reposting my 1/72 Academy AH-64 Apache taken with a digital cam for criticism. This is one of the few 1/72 kits that I have actually finished. My eyes and coordination aren't as good as they were forty years ago when I was still ten years old.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/doctorpep/Apache06.jpg

Very nice, Doc!

Nice paint finish.

Regarding surface preparation, some plastic kits really have to be washed with soap or detergent prior to painting. I still have a Bandai Yamato to finish. When I was painting the hull wil acrylic, the paint was literally dripping/running off the surface after spraying. BUti na lang acrylic kaya pwede pang hugasan ng tubig para matangal. Kailangan talaga ng primer. Ang naubos ay oras para gawain yung kit. hehehe

Keep building, guys!

Nilisticool,

Re: the 1:100 scale tanker, at 98 meters, it will be about 1m long when finished. This is doable. Heck if I had the time, I'd take it up. Maybe you can look for industrial design or architecture students to build the ship for you? They make scratch built models for their school projects.

The most important thing to remember is that we do this for fun, for self-fulfillment, for ourselves. As long as we enjoy it, I would say build it the way you want it.

True, true! If you had fun building it, then the model served its purpose well. If youre not having fun anymore, then it becomes a chore, a job without pay.

Nillisticool,

Its going to depend on a lot of things. The ship design and how easy/difficult it would be to fabricate, the extent of details you want, etc. The club's a little busy these days but Ill ask my friends if theyre willing to take on this project and how much would be the ballpark figures.

It was the tracks that finally got me. They didn't take paint well. I had to dip the tracks in a mixture of white glue and water so that the paint wouldn't flake off. As with other Zvezda kits, the vinyl tracks are too tight, resulting in a broken sprocket when I forced them over the wheels. I didn't feel like touching the kit again after that and simply left it as it is, floating tracks and all.

Here are some pics from the on-going IPMS-Bert Anido Nationals.

The event runs from today, Nov 26, up to Thursday, Nov 29. Punta na!!

Before opening:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q15/springload/SP_A2072a.jpg

Mahigpit labanan sa cars ngayon. Some notable entries:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q15/springload/SP_A2075a.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q15/springload/SP_A2076a.jpg

Mahigpit din ang labanan sa 1/100 aircraft. Please note, this is 1/144 scale:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q15/springload/SP_A2073a.jpg

Very well detailed ship:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q15/springload/SP_A2077a.jpg

Pearl Harbor dio:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q15/springload/SP_A2078a.jpg

More pics later.