• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Martial Arts

Corkscrew

Going back to the topic in Thailand do we have a Muai Thai gym in south coz I live in BF homes Pque. sayang Ultra is really far from me.

There's an MAP chapter in Paranaque and Alabang. I'll check with my team mates regarding the details. If you work in Makati, there are classes in Red Corner Intercon Hotel, but their level of training is for beginners, you might get bored. You can spar with the instructors, though.

Anyway... going back to the topic... Would muay thai find self-defense applications ONLY

in unarmed combat??? yes it is quite effective but against knives... clubs and such???

I recently read about bando.. a burmese art similar to muay thai..but it's training encompases

weapons...wasn't muay thai derive from wai kru.. or some ancient art using swords etc...???

IF JUST FOR DISCUSSION... SIR PLAKAT...SOME INFO... TNX...

I don't know in other gyms, but most of the training we do at MAP are for competition/fighting in the ring. And there's a big difference between ring fighting and street fighting.

Wai Kru is a ceremony giving honor to the teacher and to the school. YOu are referring to Krabi Krabong, the sword art of Thailand. If you want to learn how to defend against knives, sticks, etc. our very own Kali/Arnis is very effective, might even be more effective than Krabi Krabong. The common misconception is that when you don't have any stick, Kali/Arnis is useless. But the techniques of these art can be applied in empty hand and can be effective against weapons.

There's an MAP chapter in Paranaque and Alabang. I'll check with my team mates regarding the details. If you work in Makati, there are classes in Red Corner Intercon Hotel, but their level of training is for beginners, you might get bored. You can spar with the instructors, though.

I don't know in other gyms, but most of the training we do at MAP are for competition/fighting in the ring. And there's a big difference between ring fighting and street fighting.

Wai Kru is a ceremony giving honor to the teacher and to the school. YOu are referring to Krabi Krabong, the sword art of Thailand. If you want to learn how to defend against knives, sticks, etc. our very own Kali/Arnis is very effective, might even be more effective than Krabi Krabong. The common misconception is that when you don't have any stick, Kali/Arnis is useless. But the techniques of these art can be applied in empty hand and can be effective against weapons.

tnx for again for the correction... I remember sir leloup you did say tha wai kru was ceremonial...

I recently read in a back issue of Inside Kung fu/ or was it Blackbelt???... in which bando...had some animal

forms... similar to kungfu...and had weapons like the kukris.. stick... long pole... etc. It didn't even remotely

resemble muay thai... as you said in a past post...burmese/bando similar to muay thai??? I am

confused....maybe bando is not burmese but nepalese ... Some clarifications would be greatly

appreciated... Thanks...

nx for again for the correction... I remember sir leloup you did say tha wai kru was ceremonial...

I recently read in a back issue of Inside Kung fu/ or was it Blackbelt???... in which bando...had some animal

forms... similar to kungfu...and had weapons like the kukris.. stick... long pole... etc. It didn't even remotely

resemble muay thai... as you said in a past post...burmese/bando similar to muay thai??? I am

confused....maybe bando is not burmese but nepalese ... Some clarifications would be greatly

appreciated... Thanks...

Please, don't call me Sir, just my nick will do. :D . Frankly, I'm not that knowledgeable about Bando or its origin. I just had an opportunity to talk with the coach of the Burmese muay thai team last SEA Games. He said that Burmese boxing/Bando's techniques are similar to muay thai but they are just using twisted cotton ropes as handwraps during matches and not gloves. And most of their team members are originally Bando practitioners. He also said that there are Burmese bando fighters who cross the boarder to fight muay thai matches in Thailand because the money purses are bigger.

poging_bagsik13 Posted Yesterday, 02:24 PM

Im vincent tuppil, of ToughGuys International, a full contact karate sport (bare knuckle), im a black belt for about 3yrs.

ToughGuys is a christian martial arts organization. if you want to know more about us, feel free to visit this site

www.toughguysfullcontact.i8.com

Please give my warmest regards to Sensei Vincent Vicencio. I used to be his student way back 1994-95 when he's still with Pure Energy Karate Club. His cousin, Pastor John Garcia is my pastor.

nx for again for the correction... I remember sir leloup you did say tha wai kru was ceremonial...

appreciated... Thanks...

Please, don't call me Sir, just my nick will do. :D . Frankly, I'm not that knowledgeable about Bando or its origin. I just had an opportunity to talk with the coach of the Burmese muay thai team last SEA Games. He said that Burmese boxing/Bando's techniques are similar to muay thai but they are just using twisted cotton ropes as handwraps during matches and not gloves. And most of their team members are originally Bando practitioners. He also said that there are Burmese bando fighters who cross the boarder to fight muay thai matches in Thailand because the money purses are bigger.

poging_bagsik13 Posted Yesterday, 02:24 PM

Im vincent tuppil, of ToughGuys International, a full contact karate sport (bare knuckle), im a black belt for about 3yrs.

ToughGuys is a christian martial arts organization. if you want to know more about us, feel free to visit this site

www.toughguysfullcontact.i8.com

Please give my warmest regards to Sensei Vincent Vicencio. I used to be his student way back 1994-95 when he's still with Pure Energy Karate Club. His cousin, Pastor John Garcia is my pastor.

calling you SIR... it's a generation thing...to show that you deserve respect...please don't take

any offense...i know in today's cynical world SIR... may seem that I'm patronizing you...

YUNG TIPONG BINOBOLA KITA... to get to your good side...NO MALICE INTENDED...

anyway... thanks for the info... at least i know now that burmese boxing is far more brutal

than muay thai... ( consider the rope wrappings... as oppose to boxing gloves...)

thanks again leloup...

About the martial arts. Ever heard of the Ninjitsu and dim mak? I was looking for any school here in the Phil which are teaching the said techniques. Most probably no other school here or in the world would teach such deadly and highly efficient techniques in the world, mainly it does not really need much training and it has the specifics of both anatomy and some martial arts (Aikido, karate, judo), and when used properly can immobilize and incapacitate any types of adversaries.

Hmm, if there is non, probably id settle with Taekwondo. :cool:

Oh,and about the muay thai? That certain technique has one of the strongest kicks in the world.

"Every guy should know how to fight. To fight - to protect. <_< "

post-111510-1165652883.jpg

There are chinese martial arts schools that teach dim mak... the problem is...it is by

invitation only...you need to be refered to by a senior member of the school who would

vouche for your character... in order for you to be admitted...And contrary to your belief..

learning dim mak requires hard and dedicated training... sometimes lasting for years...and

it is not simply knowledge of anatomy... or physiology...and traditional Chinese medicine...

which is most of time overlooked...

traditional aikido or arnis presas style...???? Depends on your bro's physique... temperament..

mindset...patience and perserverance...ability to endure pain and punishment...

There are chinese martial arts schools that teach dim mak... the problem is...it is by

invitation only...you need to be refered to by a senior member of the school who would

vouche for your character... in order for you to be admitted...And contrary to your belief..

learning dim mak requires hard and dedicated training... sometimes lasting for years...and

it is not simply knowledge of anatomy... or physiology...and traditional Chinese medicine...

which is most of time overlooked...

traditional aikido or arnis presas style...???? Depends on your bro's physique... temperament..

mindset...patience and perserverance...ability to endure pain and punishment...

Wow,it really will take years noh? I think you were referring to the Wudan mountain training sanctuary in middle china. well as long as there are E-books of Dimak training, i guess it would be fine. You really wouldnt believe how much information you could find in the net, all it depends is how you use your knowledge.

calling you SIR... it's a generation thing...to show that you deserve respect...please don't take

any offense...i know in today's cynical world SIR... may seem that I'm patronizing you...

YUNG TIPONG BINOBOLA KITA... to get to your good side...NO MALICE INTENDED...

anyway... thanks for the info... at least i know now that burmese boxing is far more brutal

than muay thai... ( consider the rope wrappings... as oppose to boxing gloves...)

thanks again leloup...

Don't worry none taken. It's about patronizing me. Medyo I feel so old lang if someone calls me Sir. :D

That's what the Burmese coach also said. And that's the reason why Bando will is difficult to promote because of its brutal nature.