90's Revisited

VICIOUS

the club dredd era and LA 105.... the great underground bands

feet like fins, tame the tikbalang, signum, backdraft, ex presidents combo, snakebite religion, rumblebelly, kabaong ni kamatayan, shampoo ni lola, death after birth, public menace, tribal fish, bonehead,pedro's cannabis, erectus,dahong palay, tungaw, mutiny, genital grinder, Armageddon, barang, rizal underground etc...........

astig! "release me" ba favorite mo dun or "hold on?"

maganda din songs ng propaganda.. heaven give me words..

sophie b. hawkins... damn i wish i was your lover :)

hold on... daniel... next to you... halos lahat, actually...

i haven't heard propaganda ata, try ko nga...

yung kay sophie b. hawkins gusto ko yung as i lay me... :cool:

for me...it was all about 90's r&b. bsbyface, tony braxton, tevin campbell, brian mcknight, aaliyah, mary j., tony rich, jodeci, boyz II men...those songs had heart. even if they were about sex, it was tasteful...no so dirty like the songs now a days. and the songs back then had great harmony and melody...great structure. i miss those days haha

• 3 months later...

the 90's.. last stand of the disco era.. the start of the local band scene after more than a decade of absence..

the disco era, uso ang mga in house parties, rent ng mobile. lording it over the airwaves were songs like stars, piano in the dark, just another day, sahara nights, let me in, angelina and many more.. discos are packed.. nauso ang afternoon disco party.. heartbeat was then a disco.. famous were rumours, faces, jaloux, euphoria, and many more that escapes me at the moment..

bars were sprouting. famous were padi's point, cable car, pep's, reasons, brannigans, etc..

greenhills and makati are the place to be.. live show bands like side a, artstart, pido are playing music the time of their lives..

until...

the rock/punk music after briefly making news in the 80's went underground but suddenly emerges during the early 90s with old and new faces to brave the storm and change the local music scene forever..

90's saw the emergence of eraserheads, after image, introvoys, rivermaya, parokya ni edgar, the youth, color it red emerged from the dimly lit hall of club dredd in timog owned by patrick reidenbach (which later transferred to cubao).. others were knk (kabaong ni kamatayan), inquisition, alamid, backdraft, advent call.. over at makati, razorback and the basti artadi led wolfgang were regularly drawing kolehiayalas in the atrium.. never out of the scene of course were rock pioneers juan dela cruz, the dawn, identity crisis, the jerks, the wuds, noel cabangon, bayang barrios.. even the late great francis m became a fixture in the local rock scene..

only a few survived the storm.. even eraserheads, the most successful band from the 90's didnt escape the intrigue and pressure and decided to disband.. only rivermaya (with so many lne up changes) and parokya ni edgar remains.. but the band scene paved the way for sandwich (which incidentally has raymund marasigan of the famed eraserheads their front man), kwjan, urbandub, cambio, radioactive sago project, chicosci, greyhoundz, slapshock among others..

local rock music indeed rocked the opm.. never was it the same again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

this is my favorite era where i experience

most of "first" in my life

i still remember singing "blaze of glory"

from the movie "young guns 2" with my friends while drinking gin calamansi

this is the emergence of the rivalry between

metallica and guns n roses and grunge music

i still remember watching concerts at up sunken garden

with the likes eheads, parokya ni edgar, the youth, backdraft,

death by stereo, put3ska, machine gun poetry, wolfgang, razorback,

siakol, color it red, pretty in pink, tribal fish, kelts kross and many others

or just hanging out at farmers plaza while watching the bands

and drinking a barrel of draft beer

(kapag wala kasing iniinom paaalisin ka ng guard)

and not to mention the death of some notable artists

kurt cobain - nirvana

layne staley - alice in chains

shannon hoon - blind melon

doug hopkins - gin blossoms

michael hutchence - inxs

• 1 month later...

90s! the best era ever. the decade i grew up in.

i digged third eye blind, spin doctors, blind melon, alice in chains, smashmouth, ratm, yung ibang "uso" nung time na to. oh, pati blur, oasis, radiohead. and the opm greats like francis m, heads, maya.

happy.gif

then 2000 stepped in. i did like the gorillaz but bands like linkin park and evanescence kinda...uh...nevermind.

no disrespect anyway.

cheers.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...