His Airness Michael Jordan

revo20012000

Well as great as Jordan is/was he was smart enough to hire the best PR persons. I think his agent (the name escapes me) was the pioneer of the gazillion bucks transactions for professional athletes. Another dude (damn the name escapes me again) was responsble for damage control. Remember how many controversies sprung up during Jordan's career? Gambling, Mafia, Affairs, throwing games, Divorce and death of Dad? All were handle by his PR team--- low-key and immediately and off the public eye. Thus at the end of the day Jordan still smelled like Roses. Now take that L.A. dude (I won't mention the name ala Shaq), won championships, an unbelievable athletic freak, and is probably the best in the L right now, where the heck is his image right now? I think that whole Denver brouhahaha could have been handled quitely and properly if he hired the right people. Sheesh, in the end he still paid the big bucks to shut up the bitch and he still took an irrepairable damage to his image. Think that Nike ad (love me, hate me) could bring back the millions he lost from endorsements? Think it could ever bring back the love and respect? Kaya ngayun any kind of failure na gawin niya magnified a millionth time. People are still talking about his "tank" on game 7 of their Phoenix series.

See the difference Jordan was smart. Nobody crucified him when he drafted Brown. Nobody crucified him when he came back and failed to make the play-offs. People were rooting for him to make the perfect story book ending at the last all-stars(see fault din ni Kobe bakit nag-overtime yun---joke lang) People are forgiving of MJ because he and his people made his image UNTARNISHABLE!!!

Well as great as Jordan is/was he was smart enough to hire the best PR persons. I think his agent (the name escapes me) was the pioneer of the gazillion bucks transactions for professional athletes. Another dude (damn the name escapes me again) was responsble for damage control. Remember how many controversies sprung up during Jordan's career? Gambling, Mafia, Affairs, throwing games, Divorce and death of Dad? All were handle by his PR team--- low-key and immediately and off the public eye. Thus at the end of the day Jordan still smelled like Roses. Now take that L.A. dude (I won't mention the name ala Shaq), won championships, an unbelievable athletic freak, and is probably the best in the L right now, where the heck is his image right now? I think that whole Denver brouhahaha could have been handled quitely and properly if he hired the right people. Sheesh, in the end he still paid the big bucks to shut up the bitch and he still took an irrepairable damage to his image. Think that Nike ad (love me, hate me) could bring back the millions he lost from endorsements? Think it could ever bring back the love and respect? Kaya ngayun any kind of failure na gawin niya magnified a millionth time. People are still talking about his "tank" on game 7 of their Phoenix series.

See the difference Jordan was smart. Nobody crucified him when he drafted Brown. Nobody crucified him when he came back and failed to make the play-offs. People were rooting for him to make the perfect story book ending at the last all-stars(see fault din ni Kobe bakit nag-overtime yun---joke lang) People are forgiving of MJ because he and his people made his image UNTARNISHABLE!!!

Sinabi mo rin dude :goatee:

Edited by howard_the_duck

Great take.

Hats off to you bro.

:thumbsupsmiley:

Yeah.. The not so perfect things that Jordan made off-the-court (before the third coming) were handled pretty well.. But these would escalate and "magnified" if he had not been able to win..

Case in point: The gambling thing wanted to wreak havoc on Jordan's image at one point.. The 1991-92 season started off when MJ did not accompany the Bulls on their trip to the White House to meet President Bush.. Then a month later, Jordan encountered one of his major scandals.. as reports showed that a $57K check he wrote was found among the belongings of convicted cocaine dealer James Bouler, who was arrested for money laundering.. Jordan's alibi? He said that the money was a loan to Bouler who was building a golf driving range.. WTF? Further investigation revealed payments of $108K was made to murdered NC bail bondsman Eddie Dow.. And top it all, the checks were dated the time when the Bulls made that visit to the White House..

Jordan then went to testify at Bouler's trial.. He then admitted that the 57K was payment for gambling debt.. Jordan was let go, coz the legal part of the trial was satisfied with the statement.. But media was not.. Jordan said he lied coz he was caught off-guard and got embarassed..

And you are correct dre.. coz after this statement, Nike with MJ held a conference saying that they would donate $100,000 to Chicago Public Schools.. Talk about making the cat stop meowing under the rain.. Even David Stern protected his ass saying that there was no rule that was violated when media began to pry Jordan's gambling activities.. and I am telling you.. there were many..

God, I could only imagine the ridicule if those gambling acitivities really took its toll on the court.. What I am trying to say is that if he had not won the first three titles things would have gotten for the worse.. Media was on to him.. Maybe they got paid off to stop pestering him.. But all in all, gambling, the mystery death of his "pops," the divorce paled in comparison to the ridicule that Kobe Bryant had when he was charged of rape.. Kobe became the Mike Tyson of Basketball.. Controversies surrounded him off the court.. Hell, I would even assume that Magic's HIV case is nothing compared to KB81's rape case..

Derrick is correct.. Jordan did damage control.. But because he won, it diminished.. So his performance helped the damage control.. Without it.. any damage control system would fail.. And I am telling you if Kobe Bryant brings a championship to the Lakers the way Jordan did it.. that rape case? Baka sabihin ng karamihan.. Anong rape case?

Now, let us focus on the third coming, when Jordan came in as the President of the Wizards, the owner of the Wizards (who was also the owner of AOL.com) made it clear to him that he wanted his brains rather than just wanting his name.. (unlike Milwaukee's offer).. At naniwala naman si Air Jordan..

As iconic he was on the court, as a man behind a coat and tie he was not.. coz he inherited a team that was way above the salary cap.. and had the 2nd worst record in the L.. The players were Strickland (sakit ng ulo), The rock - Mitch Richmond - who was actually playing like this was his last years in the L, and Juwan Howard who just wanted the multi-million deal (which he got) and just relax.. Who else, Ike Austin, Jaihidi White.. and a young player in RIP Hamilton - the only bright spot.. Wow! Talk about the team of a decade.. This is where I will diss MJ.. hindi ba niya naisip ito? A blemished career behind the desk is just impossible to avoid..

Then he decided to really make changes.. by firing Gar Heard as the coach and replacing him with a college coach.. who eventually left after suffering humiliation.. He made changes.. giving up Howard to Dallas for Courtney Alexander and several other players like Christian Laettner.. Kaso wala pa din.. He decided to join the fray and drafted the kid Kwame Brown.. But he lacked the flair that he once had.. People were arguing.. Friends (like Charles and Magic) were not in favor of the third coming.. but Jordan wanted to prove something.. That he can lead the team as a player and as a man behind the desk.. He failed.. Kwame was a Olowakandi in the making.. and the Wizards lost..

I do think that people know that he failed.. Fans know.. Much like Willis Reed's, Elgin Baylor's -except for this year, Wes Unseld's career as executives for their respective ball clubs.. He still had several games na he took over but karamihan ay pangit.. That was the worst 2 years I ever saw MJ played and led..

But the enigma of the championships overshadowed the humiliation of the third coming.. People only remember the good times that the L had MJ.. Why? Because of marketing, because of damage control? Yun lang ba? Para sa akin hindi.. the bad light that Jordan was in when he was with the Wizards was overshadowed by those wins with the Bulls.. Without those lasting images in a Bulls' uniform.. fans would be magnifying the stupidity that Jordan did with the Wiz.. For me, it was not just the people whom he hired that made his name UNTARNISHABLE.. It also helped that Jordan won the way he won.. It made the task easier to make tapal.. hehehe!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Much like if I compare his legacy with Isaiah Thomas.. Great player but stupid GM.. I bet no one would get Jordan as a "man behind the desk" to lead a team again.. And if he gets that job once again.. then I would diss him once again.. B)

OT: BTW, derrick.. Si Mike "Steward" nakakuha ng LBJ na auto for 9K lang last week.. Naglaway nung sinabi presyo sa kaniya.. hehehe!!! Naghagilap tuloy ng pera.. hehehe!!! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

.. was watching Game 6 of the Heat vs. the Pistons today.. and at one point the cameras focused on a jersey bearing #23 on top of the rafters.. According to the commentators.. Pat Riley chose to retire the Chicago jersey of MJ and said that no member of the Heat can ever wear #23..

That's what you call respect for a well-respected coach.. So, who do you think Pat Riley think is the greatest? Is it Magic, Bird, Kareem, Isaiah? Whom he coached and coached against.. I think its Air Jordan.. hehehe!!! Grabe!!! :)

Yeah.. The not so perfect things that Jordan made off-the-court (before the third coming) were handled pretty well.. But these would escalate and "magnified" if he had not been able to win..

Case in point:  The gambling thing wanted to wreak havoc on Jordan's image at one point.. The 1991-92 season started off when MJ did not accompany the Bulls on their trip to the White House to meet President Bush.. Then a month later, Jordan encountered one of his major scandals.. as reports showed that a $57K check he wrote was found among the belongings of convicted cocaine dealer James Bouler, who was arrested for money laundering.. Jordan's alibi? He said that the money was a loan to Bouler who was building a golf driving range.. WTF? Further investigation revealed payments of $108K was made to murdered NC bail bondsman Eddie Dow.. And top it all, the checks were dated the time when the Bulls made that visit to the White House..

Jordan then went to testify at Bouler's trial.. He then admitted that the 57K was payment for gambling debt.. Jordan was let go, coz the legal part of the trial was satisfied with the statement.. But media was not.. Jordan said he lied coz he was caught off-guard and got embarassed..

And you are correct dre.. coz after this statement, Nike with MJ held a conference saying that they would donate $100,000 to Chicago Public Schools.. Talk about making the cat stop meowing under the rain.. Even David Stern protected his ass saying that there was no rule that was violated when media began to pry Jordan's gambling activities.. and I am telling you.. there were many..

God, I could only imagine the ridicule if those gambling acitivities really took its toll on the court.. What I am trying to say is that if he had not won the first three titles things would have gotten for the worse.. Media was on to him.. Maybe they got paid off to stop pestering him.. But all in all, gambling, the mystery death of his "pops," the divorce paled in comparison to the ridicule that Kobe Bryant had when he was charged of rape.. Kobe became the Mike Tyson of Basketball.. Controversies surrounded him off the court.. Hell, I would even assume that Magic's HIV case is nothing compared to KB81's rape case..

Derrick is correct.. Jordan did damage control.. But because he won, it diminished.. So his performance helped the damage control.. Without it.. any damage control system would fail..  And I am telling you  if Kobe Bryant brings a championship to the Lakers the way Jordan did it.. that rape case? Baka sabihin ng karamihan.. Anong rape case?

Now, let us focus on the third coming, when Jordan came in as the President of the Wizards, the owner of the Wizards (who was also the owner of AOL.com) made it clear to him that he wanted his brains rather than just wanting his name.. (unlike Milwaukee's offer).. At naniwala naman si Air Jordan..

As iconic he was on the court, as a man behind a coat and tie he was not.. coz he inherited a team that was way above the salary cap.. and had the 2nd worst record in the L.. The players were Strickland (sakit ng ulo), The rock - Mitch Richmond - who was actually playing like this was his last years in the L, and Juwan Howard who just wanted the multi-million deal (which he got) and just relax.. Who else, Ike Austin, Jaihidi White.. and a young player in RIP Hamilton - the only bright spot.. Wow! Talk about the team of a decade.. This is where I will diss MJ.. hindi ba niya naisip ito?  A blemished career behind the desk is just impossible to avoid..

Then he decided to really make changes.. by firing Gar Heard as the coach and replacing him with a college coach.. who eventually left after suffering humiliation.. He made changes.. giving up Howard to Dallas for Courtney Alexander and several other players like Christian Laettner.. Kaso wala pa din.. He decided to join the fray and drafted the kid Kwame Brown.. But he lacked the flair that he once had.. People were arguing.. Friends (like Charles and Magic) were not in favor of the third coming.. but Jordan wanted to prove something.. That he can lead the team as a player and as a man behind the desk.. He failed.. Kwame was a Olowakandi in the making.. and the Wizards lost..

I do think that people know that he failed.. Fans know.. Much like Willis Reed's, Elgin Baylor's -except for this year, Wes Unseld's career as executives for their respective ball clubs.. He still had several games na he took over but karamihan ay pangit.. That was the worst 2 years I ever saw MJ played and led..

But the enigma of the championships overshadowed the humiliation of the third coming.. People only remember the good times that the L had MJ.. Why? Because of marketing, because of damage control? Yun lang ba? Para sa akin hindi.. the bad light that Jordan was in when he was with the Wizards was overshadowed by those wins with the Bulls.. Without those lasting images in a Bulls' uniform.. fans would be magnifying the stupidity that Jordan did with the Wiz.. For me, it was not just the people whom he hired that made his name UNTARNISHABLE.. It also helped that Jordan won the way he won.. It made the task easier to make tapal.. hehehe!!!  :thumbsupsmiley:

Much like if I compare his legacy with Isaiah Thomas.. Great player but stupid GM.. I bet no one would get Jordan as a "man behind the desk" to lead a team again.. And if he gets that job once again.. then I would diss him once again..  B)

OT:  BTW, derrick.. Si Mike "Steward" nakakuha ng LBJ na auto for 9K lang last week.. Naglaway nung sinabi presyo sa kaniya.. hehehe!!! Naghagilap tuloy ng pera.. hehehe!!!  :lol:

Very well said..

You're the man Bro!!

Idol!! :cool:

Oh yes! Definitely REVI! Natawa ako dun sa CAT and RAIN annecdote mo!

Tama ka! History will always be forgiving of winners!

Speaking of Jordan Rumors: I heard that there were discussions with the owner of the BOBCATS---hmmmm smells fishy if you ask me(no pun intended)---for Jordan to be hired as a GM/COACH/Part-owner! Any take on this REVI?

OT: Can you please relay to Stew, The LBJ I bought for 9k (300USD last month's beckett) just sky rocketed to 350 USD at beckett this month and overbooks at ebay...yabang ko!!!

Oh yes! Definitely REVI! Natawa ako dun sa CAT and RAIN annecdote mo!

Tama ka! History will always be forgiving of winners!

Speaking of Jordan Rumors: I heard that there were discussions with the owner of the BOBCATS---hmmmm smells fishy if you ask me(no pun intended)---for Jordan to be hired as a GM/COACH/Part-owner! Any take on this REVI?

OT: Can you please relay to Stew, The LBJ I bought for 9k (300USD last month's beckett) just sky rocketed to 350 USD at beckett this month and overbooks at ebay...yabang ko!!!

Not only is he a winner.. but MJ won with flair and sooo much drama.. That made his off-court "mistakes" forgivable.. and forgettable if I may add..

First things first dre.. Yeah I heard those rumors too.. Jordan being hired as GM of the Bobcats.. Well, kung mangyayari yun, then I still stand with what I said, in my previous posts.. If that would happen, then I will diss him if he makes crazy-ass decisions again..

Kung part-owner lang naman.. that could be less forgiving.. but still, if he messes up the Bobcats' franchise then, even as a fan of His Airness.. I will definitely going to diss him.. Hell, as great as he is.. hasn't he learned anything from the Wiz experience..

---

@derrick: pa-OT lang mga mods: Matagal na yung original na post ko for you about Steward bro.. Ngayon, iba na ang ipinagmamalaki niya.. yung Wade niya yata na autograph.. I think he is selling at a good/steep(?) price.. 4K yata.. But I have a Wade auto na eh.. So I am not interested.. Ang problema niya ngayon ay nag-hoard ang bata ng maraming Pistons' autos.. E natalo.. HEHEHEHE!!! Mahirap talaga kapag smacker ka eh.. Iba pa rin ang kolektor.. Your cards are cherished possessions even though tumaas o bumaba ang mga ito.. Me, Its a plus if my cards go up.. but if they go down or stay the same.. who cares? I am not trading or selling them.. di ba? ;)

With regards to the Spurs' autographed cards.. Yup, medyo bababa nga sila niyan sa e-bay.. Ganda nung Manu na auto mo from Bowman's.. You got it cheap.. Ang problema ko nowadays kasi ay yung mga cards that are being opened by Bryan Ang dre.. Ang gaganda nung mga Duncan na patches and jerseys.. Although no autographs.. Still, they are sooo damn good for my collection.. In other words dre, medyo malaki na ang gastos ko (at gagastusin) sa mga nakuha nila Bryan.. Plus, the fact that our guys at Courtside never stop in offering me my wish-list of autographs of the legends (e.g, Pippen, etc.).. Kasi priorities ko ay Duncans and autographs of Legends..

Edited by revi

Oh Pareng Revi...the trials and tribulations of a collector. Heniweys, poor poor stew!!! Go for the patches dre albeit mga close to your heart collection na lang. Ok na ung pa-isa isa auto ng legends, di naman tayo hoarders//////smakers. Me, I am sticking to my guns rookie base autos lang. No need to complicate things.

Case in point:  The gambling thing wanted to wreak havoc on Jordan's image at one point.. The 1991-92 season started off when MJ did not accompany the Bulls on their trip to the White House to meet President Bush.. Then a month later, Jordan encountered one of his major scandals.. as reports showed that a $57K check he wrote was found among the belongings of convicted cocaine dealer James Bouler, who was arrested for money laundering.. Jordan's alibi? He said that the money was a loan to Bouler who was building a golf driving range.. WTF? Further investigation revealed payments of $108K was made to murdered NC bail bondsman Eddie Dow.. And top it all, the checks were dated the time when the Bulls made that visit to the White House..

Derrick is correct.. Jordan did damage control.. But because he won, it diminished.. So his performance helped the damage control.. Without it.. any damage control system would fail..  And I am telling you  if Kobe Bryant brings a championship to the Lakers the way Jordan did it.. that rape case? Baka sabihin ng karamihan.. Anong rape case?

As iconic he was on the court, as a man behind a coat and tie he was not.. coz he inherited a team that was way above the salary cap.. and had the 2nd worst record in the L.. The players were Strickland (sakit ng ulo), The rock - Mitch Richmond - who was actually playing like this was his last years in the L, and Juwan Howard who just wanted the multi-million deal (which he got) and just relax.. Who else, Ike Austin, Jaihidi White.. and a young player in RIP Hamilton - the only bright spot.. Wow! Talk about the team of a decade.. This is where I will diss MJ.. hindi ba niya naisip ito?  A blemished career behind the desk is just impossible to avoid..

But the enigma of the championships overshadowed the humiliation of the third coming.. People only remember the good times that the L had MJ.. Why? Because of marketing, because of damage control? Yun lang ba? Para sa akin hindi.. the bad light that Jordan was in when he was with the Wizards was overshadowed by those wins with the Bulls.. Without those lasting images in a Bulls' uniform.. fans would be magnifying the stupidity that Jordan did with the Wiz.. For me, it was not just the people whom he hired that made his name UNTARNISHABLE.. It also helped that Jordan won the way he won.. It made the task easier to make tapal.. hehehe!!!  :thumbsupsmiley:

Much like if I compare his legacy with Isaiah Thomas.. Great player but stupid GM.. I bet no one would get Jordan as a "man behind the desk" to lead a team again.. And if he gets that job once again.. then I would diss him once again..  B)

OT:  BTW, derrick.. Si Mike "Steward" nakakuha ng LBJ na auto for 9K lang last week.. Naglaway nung sinabi presyo sa kaniya.. hehehe!!! Naghagilap tuloy ng pera.. hehehe!!!  :lol:

I guess even great people has their own dark secrets. Nobody is perfect anyway. Damn what money can do. It could make or break you. Depends who has the money.

Jordans imperfections..

only one answer for everything - PASSION for basketball.

When Jordan had his scandals after the first 3 championships and his dad died everyone was watching on how will his career end. he almost was a failure when he wore the Jersey #45 and they lost.

They proved them all wrong. He worked hard, lost some weight and overcame his grief over his father's death - and the gambling problem. The rest is history - another 3 championship rings plus a record of 71 wins.

When Jordan came back with the wizards the NBA as a whole had big problems - players lockout, viewers count are getting low, etc. Jordan came back with the blessing from Mr. Stern to maintain the level of popularity of the NBA.

Other critics percieve Jordan's wrongs decision in the Wizards as a forgivable failure. But it's not. He made wrong decisions for the Wizards but he didn't wreck the team. Even if the Wizards didn't get to the playoffs with Jordan on it, their performance were not so bad at all. No one ever criticized the team even if they lost, because the Wizards performed better after Jordan came in. And we all know that Jordan is aging, if he is at least 5 or 10 years younger the wizards might be a different team. All throughout the season of the Wizards with MJ on it, everyone notices that they were trying hard to win, and people know MJ still has some magic tricks on his hands.

It is not marketing. His WILL, DETERMINATION and PASSION to win is how marketing got to connect with him. He made sure he stepped up on the level of perfection with the passion of trying hard so much. And that's what make it counts. And that's why he won.

When people say he can't bring the bulls to the playoffs, he made the buzzer beater over cleveland.

When people say he can't win over the detroit pistons, he eliminated them and won the championships.

When people say he's too much ball-hogging, he proved them wrong and created the bulls team dynasty.

When people say he's got too much gambling problems and it affects his game, he gave them 71 wins plus another 3 championships.

When people say he's too much of a scorer he won defensive award of the year.

If people think that he's got failures to be 'forgivables' there's one thing that they can't say he's not a failure and that is - he's not a quitter. And this is where his passion cames from. He may have wrong decisions as a president of a ballclub, he may have career problems with the minor leagues, or even had bad gambling problems - but in all these he never was a QUITTER in any of the challenges given to him.

This was not damage control. His PR man didn't motivate him to win championships just to say that this would cover for his misdoings. remember when he cried on the 4th championship? it wasn't because he's happy that it would erase his tarnished reputation as a bad gambler, but he knows that he wanted it so much to prove to anyone else that he worked so hard to earn their respect especially that it affects his relationship with his father. By winning that 4th championship he proved to everyone he can overcame all the challenges and he change his bad habits and turn them into great achievements.

In all of these challenges he always has a graceful exit - and that's why he's the greatest basketball player of all time - because his Passion for winning and perfection was never imperfect - IT WAS PERFECT.

Jordans imperfections.. 

only one answer for everything - PASSION for basketball.

When Jordan had his scandals after the first 3 championships and his dad died everyone was watching on how will his career end.  he almost was a failure when he wore the Jersey #45 and they lost.

They proved them all wrong.  He worked hard, lost some weight and overcame his grief over his father's death - and the gambling problem. The rest is history - another 3 championship rings plus a record of 71 wins.

When Jordan came back with the wizards the NBA as a whole had big problems - players lockout, viewers count are getting low, etc.  Jordan came back with the blessing from Mr. Stern to maintain the level of popularity of the NBA. 

Other critics percieve Jordan's wrongs decision in the Wizards as a forgivable failure.  But it's not.  He made wrong decisions for the Wizards but he didn't wreck the team.  Even if the Wizards didn't get to the playoffs with Jordan on it, their performance were not so bad at all.  No one ever criticized the team even if they lost, because the Wizards performed better after Jordan came in.  And we all know that Jordan is aging, if he is at least 5 or 10 years younger the wizards might be a different team. All throughout the season of the Wizards with MJ on it, everyone notices that they were trying hard to win, and people know MJ still has some magic tricks on his hands.

It is not marketing.  His WILL, DETERMINATION and PASSION to win is how marketing got to connect with him.  He made sure he stepped up on the level of perfection with the passion of trying hard so much. And that's what make it counts.  And that's why he won.

When people say he can't bring the bulls to the playoffs, he made the buzzer beater over cleveland.

When people say he can't win over the detroit pistons, he eliminated them and won the championships.

When people say he's too much ball-hogging, he proved them wrong and created the bulls team dynasty.

When people say he's got too much gambling problems and it affects his game, he gave them 71 wins plus another 3 championships.

When people say he's too much of a scorer he won defensive award of the year.

If people think that he's got failures to be 'forgivables' there's one thing that they can't say he's not a failure and that is - he's not a quitter.  And this is where his passion cames from.  He may have wrong decisions as a president of a ballclub, he may have career problems with the minor leagues, or even had bad gambling problems - but in all these he never was a QUITTER in any of the challenges given to him.

This was not damage control. His PR man didn't motivate him to win championships just to say that this would cover for his misdoings.  remember when he cried on the 4th championship?  it wasn't because he's happy that it would erase his tarnished reputation as a bad gambler, but he knows that he wanted it so much to prove to anyone else that he worked so hard to earn their respect especially that it affects his relationship with his father.  By winning that 4th championship he proved to everyone he can overcame all the challenges and he change his bad habits and turn them into great achievements.

In all of these challenges he always has a graceful exit -  and that's why he's the greatest basketball player of all time - because his Passion for winning and perfection was never imperfect - IT WAS PERFECT.

We'll said but with all that has been said and done one thing is holds true. Nobody is perfect, even MJ. Again good thing for him was that the bulls won another championship or else what people would have talked about him is his passion for gambling that usually ends in getting him in to trouble. I'm not talking small trouble but bigtime.

We'll said but with all that has been said and done one thing is holds true. Nobody is perfect, even MJ. Again good thing for him was that the bulls won another championship or else what people would have talked about him is his passion for gambling that usually ends in getting him in to trouble. I'm not talking small trouble but bigtime.

One thing that's different from MJs problems is that he's not a lawbreaker. Sure his gambling problems have given him a lot of trouble, but when has gambling been a violation of any law? His superstar status also got into his head as in any case to any superstar player of today. The only thing that ever transpired out of his gambling problems were his father's death (which is a conspiracy theory) and he learned a lot from that. That's why he turned again into basketball to show he can overcome this challenges. MJ has got problems as a person, but he is a kind and good person and enough to show that his problems were personal and should not be in any way be related to his game.

Besides, His gambling problems are not that serious. He's got a lot of money to spend for his gambling, and it never get into the way where he almost lost all his money. Media has just made it a big hype for him.Compare it to the players who have fathered several children like Pippen or Bird. compare it to DUI problems of other players or brawling problems like Barkley. Or AIDS issue like Magic Johnson. He didn't even mouth-thrash anybody in a game even if he knows the challenge is up against him. The logic is MJs problems didn't cause any problem to anyone and he made sure he makes everybody happy - even his critics.

Overall, his kindness and persona as a good person was enough to show that his imperfections were not damaging. He knows he's a role model and he knows where to place himself in this world as a human being.

after all things being said, one fact remains,

MJ is still the greatest basketball player in history!!!

No other player has had such an enigmatic effect on and off the basketball court as His Airness.

Bill Russell was regarded as the greatest player ever back then with his 16 (?) championship rings, the only problem is the NBA back then is not like the NBA of today with so much marketing and media attention on a global scale

Of course there are younger players who are showing potential for greatness like Kobe, LBJ, d Wade, etc. but only time will tell if anyone can surpass what MJ has done for the game.

No other player has had such an enigmatic effect on and off the basketball court as His Airness.

Bill Russell was regarded as the greatest player ever back then with his 16 (?) championship rings, the only problem is the NBA back then is not like the NBA of today with so much marketing and media attention on a global scale

Of course there are younger players who are showing potential for greatness like Kobe, LBJ, d Wade, etc. but only time will tell if anyone can surpass what MJ has done for the game.

No question about that dude, MJ would always be the man! I don't even think that anyone would come near him. But even with greatness no one can ever be perfect! Mistakes are commited by each and every person including the Great Michael Jordan.

I don't think it has anything to do with the NBA of yesterday and the NBA of today.

First and foremost, there's a big distinction between Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlan and Michael Jordan.

Michael Jordan became the first point guard player to accomplish the same achievements of Russell and the other big men. In basketball before height is might. During the Yesteryears of NBA, Russell, Chamberlain and the rest of the big men dominated the game because of their tall characteristics. There wasn't even a 3-second violation that's why it's too obvious that these big men can pile up lots of scores and stats in a single game.

Jordan proved to them that a player of his height can dominate in the game of big men. The rulers that time were Jabbar, Magic, Bird or any Pistons player. These are mighty big players and point guards with Jordan's height were not considered to score big point or pile stats. The only same player who made the same feat is no other than MJs inspiration - Dr. J. But Dr. Js time is already passing when Jordan entered the NBA and his scoring accomplishment and stats are still not par with the big men.

11 lang ata pre rings ni bill.....3 kina bird.....yung dalawa malay ko hehehehe...well i could be wrong....

There are a lot of people who would argue that MJ is not the most talented, most intelligent, most "do-it-all" player in the NBA - past, present or the future.. This thread is reminiscent of those remarks from edc (where are you, man?) and the like.. That it was basically because he was marketed by David Stern and the NBA.. like wolverine79..

And I have never given up on my take as to why Jordan is considered by many as the greatest of all time.. MJ continuously improved his craft from being cut in his high school basketball team (in Laney), his being given doubt about having playing time in North Carolina, his leading the Bulls to the championship, his 2nd coming.. up to his third coming.. But hindi lang yun eh..

I will never get tired of saying this.. Jordan had sooo much drama.. sooo much flair.. sooo much intensity.. that it gives shivers when you watch him play.. People who never watched basketball if they see him play would be taken by his sheer love and passion for the game..

His off-the court mistakes (whatever the gravity is) will always be overshadowed by what he is.. an icon.. coz he won with sooo much drama and flair.. He might not be the most intelligent, most gifted, most kung ano man ang maisip niyo.. But to the eyes of many, including me, he has given the game the mystique because of the drama he tried to give each and every game..

He overcame obstacles from his high school coach, to Chuck Daly's & Pat Riley's Jordan Rules.. He wanted to surpass Bird's three championships, Magic's five championships and Isaiah's two.. He said that if he won three straight it would make everyone say that he has surpassed them all.. coz three straight nga.. So, without any goals anymore.. he retired..

But when he decided to come back and lost to the Orlando Magic in the playoffs.. Critics said that its over for Air Jordan.. the mystique has died.. What happened.. he did not only shut their mouths but he surpassed Bird, Magic, West, Isaiah, Dr. J, Kareem, Wilt's achievements.. coz he won another three straight.. That's drama for you.. Yeah! Bill Russel won 11 championships.. But Jordan's flair/drama/personality will overshadow Bill's greatness.. May charisma pa siya eh.. na wala ang iba..

Sabi nga ni Magic.. "The one thing that separates MJ from him and Larry is that extra kick.." to end the game.. to win it.. and add drama and spice to it.. That's what you call iconic.. Nuff said..

Having your jersey retired in a court/team you never played for is iconic.. Pat Riley's Heat retired Jordan's number di ba? Ibang klase talaga siya.. ;)

There are a lot of people who would argue that MJ is not the most talented, most intelligent, most "do-it-all" player in the NBA - past, present or the future.. This thread is reminiscent of those remarks from edc (where are you, man?) and the like.. That it was basically because he was marketed by David Stern and the NBA.. like wolverine79..

And I have never given up on my take as to why Jordan is considered by many as the greatest of all time.. MJ continuously improved his craft from being cut in his high school basketball team (in Laney), his being given doubt about having playing time in North Carolina, his leading the Bulls to the championship, his 2nd coming.. up to his third coming.. But hindi lang yun eh..

I will never get tired of saying this.. Jordan had sooo much drama.. sooo much flair.. sooo much intensity.. that it gives shivers when you watch him play.. People who never watched basketball if they see him play would be taken by his sheer love and passion for the game..

His off-the court mistakes (whatever the gravity is) will always be overshadowed by what he is.. an icon.. coz he won with sooo much drama and flair.. He might not be the most intelligent, most gifted, most kung ano man ang maisip niyo.. But to the eyes of many, including me, he has given the game the mystique because of the drama he tried to give each and every game..

He overcame obstacles from his high school coach, to Chuck Daly's & Pat Riley's Jordan Rules.. He wanted to surpass Bird's three championships, Magic's five championships and Isaiah's two.. He said that if he won three straight it would make everyone say that he has surpassed them all.. coz three straight nga.. So, without any goals anymore.. he retired..

But when he decided to come back and lost to the Orlando Magic in the playoffs.. Critics said that its over for Air Jordan.. the mystique has died.. What happened.. he did not only shut their mouths but he surpassed Bird, Magic, West, Isaiah, Dr. J, Kareem, Wilt's achievements.. coz he won another three straight.. That's drama for you.. Yeah! Bill Russel won 11 championships.. But Jordan's flair/drama/personality will overshadow Bill's greatness.. May charisma pa siya eh.. na wala ang iba..

Sabi nga ni Magic.. "The one thing that separates MJ from him and Larry is that extra kick.." to end the game.. to win it.. and add drama and spice to it.. That's what you call iconic.. Nuff said..

Having your jersey retired in a court/team you never played for is iconic.. Pat Riley's Heat retired Jordan's number di ba? Ibang klase talaga siya..  ;)

That is BASKETBALL GREATNESS.

I don't think it has anything to do with the NBA of yesterday and the NBA of today. 

First and foremost, there's a big distinction between Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlan and Michael Jordan.

What i'm trying to imply is that during that time, the NBA wasn't as popular as it is today internationally, konti pa yata may tv nun e... just imagine if it were still the case today, siguro present NBA stars would not have enjoyed the same amount of popularity that they enjoy now. Wala nga yatang binebenta na chamberlain or russell na jerseys nung kasikatan nila e...

...also the younger generation of NBA fans were not able to watch the games played then so many are not familiar with how they played or with how good the players really were...we simply relied on what we've read or heard from those who were able to watch them.

but don't get me wrong here, I still believe MJ is really "the greatest", i just wished he never returned to play for the wizards - ganda sana ng exit nya nun with "the shot" - anyway this still doesn't diminish his legacy, so peace bro.

11 lang ata pre rings ni bill.....3 kina bird.....yung dalawa malay ko hehehehe...well i could be wrong....

my bad, tama ka 11 nga lang pala, including 8 in a row (1959-1966) and (1957 then 1968-69)

Bird led boston during the championships of 1981, 1984, and 1986.

yung dalawang missing sa list mo e si Dave Cowens main man nila with John Havlicek 1974 and 1976 (which included what is dubbed as the greatest game ever in nba history - 3 OT in a finals game vs phoenix)

B)

jordan is simply the best to ever play the game...i think even all players could attest to that...except wilt chamberlain (rest his soul)...

heck...here's what some of his peers has to say:

kareem abdul-jabar-"...Michael's athletic skills are not lik the rest of us."

bill walton - "...the things Michael is able to do, it's unbelievable."

julius erving - "I think I should be flattered." (when told that MJ was being compared to him in 1984)

larry bird - '...must be God disguised as Michael Jordan."

magic johnson - "When you talk about beautfiul basketball the way Mr. Naismith drew it up to be played, you're talking about Michael Jordan."

these players were one of the best to ever play the game...and they all revere, adore MJ...so that makes MJ...THE BEST hehehe