• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

SPORTS & WORKOUT INJURIES

Muscle Pull Treatment

The universally held treatment for a muscle pull or tear is to apply ice and rest until the pain and swelling subside. The ice relaxes the muscle and helps relieve any spasm. Ice should be applied for about 20 minutes on, then 20 minutes off, as much as possible for a few days. The dull ache of a muscle pull usually disappears within a few days.

As soon as tolerable, begin gently stretching the muscle. A pulled muscle may go into spasm as a reaction to being overstretched. If the muscle fibers are not gradually re-lengthened, the muscle will pull again with return to activity because it will have healed in a shortened state. In general, you can return to action when the injured body part can be stretched without pain as far as the healthy one on the other side of the body. That may take a week for a calf muscle or more than a month for a hamstring pull.

• 1 year later...

How do I strengthen my knees and ankles? I play basketball every other day. These are just pick up games and nothing too physical but I think my body isn't as young as it used to be. My knees and ankles ache after these games and sometimes any time during the day. Any suggestions are very much welcome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...