Filipino Or English

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm here's the rub. Growing up I've been raised primarily in the English language. I speak English fluently and I think in English. I only learned how to speak Filipino when I was in grade 1 and I had a hard time studying it in school. Even now I still pronounce certain words in a funny way but I use Filipino as my main language for everyday.

It's good to know how to speak English fluently. It's a good language to think in, as is Spanish. Being good at English and bad at Filipino doesn't make one less of a Pinoy. Filipino parin naman yung tao kahit na nahihirapan magsalita in Filipino. The soul and essence of being a Pinoy is still there, regardless of what language is spoken, IMO. :)

Hmm here's the rub. Growing up I've been raised primarily in the English language. I speak English fluently and I think in English. I only learned how to speak Filipino when I was in grade 1 and I had a hard time studying it in school. Even now I still pronounce certain words in a funny way but I use Filipino as my main language for everyday.

It's good to know how to speak English fluently. It's a good language to think in, as is Spanish. Being good at English and bad at Filipino doesn't make one less of a Pinoy. Filipino parin naman yung tao kahit na nahihirapan magsalita in Filipino. The soul and essence of being a Pinoy is still there, regardless of what language is spoken, IMO. :)

I most definitely agree with your comments. Language is just a means to communicate. Being patriotic is a mindset and has nothing to do with the language you use to get your message across.

I think the number of pinoys who speak and write English proficiently has dropped significantly through the years. Which is sad because knowledge about the world is basically made available through the English language. Most literature on engineering, history, the sciences, world events, philosophy, etc. are written in English.

Another sad thing about the dwindling ability to speak English is the fact that we are a nation that exports manpower. Are we going to lose our competitive advantage to other Asian nations who are doing everything to ensure that their kids learn English? Our economy is supported greatly by remittances of OFWs. What would happen if the new generation of Filipinos are rejected by middle east and Asian employers because their English is below par? What will happen to our economy?

I have a funny suspicion that a lot of the OFWs who are physically abused by their employers especially in the middle east were maltreated because they weren't able to effectively communicate wtih their employers. I suspect that misunderstandings are a major cause of physical abuse on the part of employers who cannot understand the OFW probably because his/her English skills are lacking. Of course, I cannot prove this. It's just a hunch on my part.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote 1

i speak both languages fluently but i write english better

Same here. It's always an advantage to be able to speak and write in at least 2 languages. Took Spanish lessons in college but that was a very long time ago. And with nobody to speak Spanish to, I lost the ability to speak and understand that language. To master a language, you must practice speaking, writing and reading in that language on a daily basis. Either you use it or lose it.

Edited by maxiev
  • 3 weeks later...

I think the number of pinoys who speak and write English proficiently has dropped significantly through the years. Which is sad because knowledge about the world is basically made available through the English language. Most literature on engineering, history, the sciences, world events, philosophy, etc. are written in English.

Another sad thing about the dwindling ability to speak English is the fact that we are a nation that exports manpower. Are we going to lose our competitive advantage to other Asian nations who are doing everything to ensure that their kids learn English? Our economy is supported greatly by remittances of OFWs. What would happen if the new generation of Filipinos are rejected by middle east and Asian employers because their English is below par? What will happen to our economy?

I have a funny suspicion that a lot of the OFWs who are physically abused by their employers especially in the middle east were maltreated because they weren't able to effectively communicate wtih their employers. I suspect that misunderstandings are a major cause of physical abuse on the part of employers who cannot understand the OFW probably because his/her English skills are lacking. Of course, I cannot prove this. It's just a hunch on my part.

I think you have a point here. Frustration in understanding someone may push someone to physical violence. If an employer respects his employee, chances are a harmonious relationship will prosper. But how can an employer respect his employee when he cannot understand what his employee is telling him?

I think you have a point here. Frustration in understanding someone may push someone to physical violence. If an employer respects his employee, chances are a harmonious relationship will prosper. But how can an employer respect his employee when he cannot understand what his employee is telling him?

The bottom line is if we are going to export manpower, we better be sure that our export is of good quality. That includes not only the worker's area of expertise, but also his/her ability to effectively communicate with his/her boss.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

english is preferred.....

mahirap ang filipino eh :ohmy:

imagine: science - agham

mathematics - sipnayan

sheath - kaluban (ginagamit ding term na ito sa "femfem")

resistance - paglaban / pagpigil haha

impedance - paglaban / pagpigil pa rin

spark plug - buya (eto tawag ng mga mekaniko sa amin eh)

male plug - ???

female plug - ???

male jack - ???

female jack - ???

flammable -nagliliyab/nagapoy/nagniningas/nag aalab (blaze)

combustible - nagliliyab/nagapoy/nagniningas/nag aalab (blaze)

ignitible - nagliliyab/nagapoy/nagniningas/nag aalab (blaze)

see?

Education found on the internet is basically in the English language. Medical practitioners, airline pilots, engineers, it professionals etc. are all taugh in the English language. If you have intentions of leaving the Philippines to take jobs or higher education classes in Australia, the USA or England, you better learn the English language. If you don't have any intentions of working overseas or studying overseas, Filipino may do.

But if you're a call center agent working in the Philippines, you better be able to communicate effectively in the English language.

• 2 weeks later...

The best way to communicate would be with your mother tongue. If you started with english then stick with that and use it as your building blocks for learning a new language.

Many find it hard to soeak another language if they don't have mastery of their mother tongue. Believe me if your cebuano, learn and speak cebuano then switch to another.

English or Filipino, that is not an issue. The issue is what's your mother tongue.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...