Speaker

Bose is okay. But believe me there are many others that are even better. Bose is like Rolex. If you're not too familiar with watches youll think Rolex is the best.

Very true. Overpriced, with no corresponding design change with each new model. Not for the serious audiophile.

OnT : Vandersteen floorstanders. Dali shelf speakers

• Like (+1) 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bose is okay. But believe me there are many others that are even better. Bose is like Rolex. If you're not too familiar with watches youll think Rolex is the best.

Very true. Overpriced, with no corresponding design change with each new model. Not for the serious audiophile.

OnT : Vandersteen floorstanders. Dali shelf speakers

I agree. I have a Bose Lifestyle 50 ( 17 years now and still sounding great) but you do pay through the nose for the marketing and hype.

When I started my love affair with Vinyl and Hi-Fi, I made do with a pair of JVC SP-D8 (also around 20 years old) driven by a vintage Marantz SR 6000. It served its purpose well for easy listening and occasional classic rock jamming for all it's 70Watts/6ohms worth and I though it' was enough.

.... Until I really researched more and got my eyes and ears :) opened up to the audiophile likes of PSB's, B&W, Axiom, Boston Acoustics, Paradigm, Klipsch Refeference, Velodyne, Thiele, Elan, Dali, Snell, and all the other boutique hi-end brands that costs not just an arm and a leg but your kidneys and liver too. LOL!

Somebody mentioned earlier in the thread, that it's not rocket science to choose speakers. It's true but nevertheless, acoustic science and engineering can really get your head spinning and ears bleeding (pun intended).

So when I chanced upon a pair of Episode ES-700 Tower Speakers floor demo being sold at 75% off the retail price by a professional A/V and Home Theater installer who is changing career directions, I did not hesitate to pull the trigger. How else can an audio neophyte like me get a chance at something I do not deserve. These only get sold directly to professional dealers that really know how to design and install outstanding A/V and HT systems.

And when I hooked it up, even with the old 20 gauge wires I only have at the moment (I know 'tis a sin in the audiophile realm), I truly knew then what I have been missing or not hearing all along... a lot! :) And the seamless piano gloss black, heavy ,and solid cabinetry just just oozes... sexy :) Will post some photos soon.

A review and discussion on the Episode speakers can be found here :

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1058804-episode-speakers-any-thoughts.html

Edited by Unwritten

Here are some photos of the Episode ES-700 Tower speakers. Which was designed and built from the ground up with nothing but quality materials, components, and construction.

a. Slim, seamless, high-gloss, mirror-finish, piano-black cabinetry. Sophistication that packs a punch IMHO. (JVC SP-D8's in other photo as compared to the Episode).

- I likened it to Miss U Pia W. taking on Rhonda R toe to toe MMA style and giving her a run for her money...LOL.

post-526772-0-40509300-1488134127_thumb.jpg post-526772-0-68310400-1488134139_thumb.jpg

b. Left side - Right side (Rounded seamless profile)

post-526772-0-75136200-1488132574_thumb.jpg post-526772-0-45177300-1488132585_thumb.jpg

c. Back side showing how the the dual down-firing bass ports were implemented - even the back is elegant and sexy. LOL

-The guy I got it from recommended at least 14 gauge, high purity, oxygen-free, lossless copper wires for wide range and accurate transmission and tonal reproduction... ( na nose bleed ako duon hahaha :D)

post-526772-0-85097200-1488132611_thumb.jpg

d. The inputs with Bi-amp capability (by removing the shorting connector between the Hi_Freq and Lo-Freq terminals and connecting to appropriate amplifier source) .

post-526772-0-60190500-1488132602_thumb.jpg

e. The Episode ES-700's bringing my budding and rag-tag vintage Hi-Fi romance to new heights ... :D

* somebodsy :) told me that once you start a Hi-Fi love affair it just keeps getting sweeter (and more expensive) LOL!

post-526772-0-69467500-1488132624_thumb.jpg

-Music heals the soul like nothing can. That I truly believe. Cheers! :)

Edited by Unwritten
  • 4 months later...