What's Your Video Card?

@cheesekeso

thanks for the fast reply. Yes, I'd like to overclock my cpu since it's getting outdated. I have a pair of Kingmax 512 MBs. I was advised that my mems are not good for overclocking.

I've seen a rig in the other site scoring 5000 pts in 3dmark06 with an amd 64 3000+ venice (overclocked to 2700mhz) paired with a geforce 7900 gt 512 mb. that's the score that i'd like to reach also. my mb btw is an MSI Platinum Edition (SLI).

Which memory would you recommend to suit my overclocking needs if my budget is capped at P5K?

@cheesekeso

thanks for the fast reply.  Yes, I'd like to overclock my cpu since it's getting outdated.  I have a pair of Kingmax 512 MBs.  I was advised that my mems are not good for overclocking.

I've seen a rig in the other site scoring 5000 pts in 3dmark06 with an amd 64 3000+ venice (overclocked to 2700mhz) paired with a geforce 7900 gt 512 mb.    that's the score that i'd like to reach also.  my mb btw is an MSI Platinum Edition (SLI).

Which memory would you recommend to suit my overclocking needs if my budget is capped at P5K?

Well, we have 2 choices :D

1. Go for 240fsb w/ 166 dividers (200mhz) or 300fsb w/ 133 dividers (189mhz), then use your multipliers :D This was, you don't have to buy a new set of mems :D

2. If you really wanna overclock with that budget, you need to have a pc shop which knows you already so you can do this :D

Ok, there are a few number of mems (Value mems) that can oc pretty well, of course, you need to know what you're looking for first :D

Here's a list of memory modules which are overclockable if you know what you are looking for:

1. Twinmos Value mems - Look at the sticker, it must have the AA4T at the end of the model no. :D It's a Winbond UTT mem, decently overclockable w/ decent timings :D Needs some vdimm though :D

2. Geil Value Select - I forgot some key info in finding the one with a Winbond UTT chips, but it should have 2 dimples, which is usually a sign of a Winbond UTT :D

3. PQI - PQI also have overclockable mems, although not a Winbond UTT, instead, they make up for it by having a Brainpower PCB, look at the top right corner of your mem, if it has the marking B6xxxxxx, its a Brainpower :D Usually, its usually paired with a TCC5 or Hynix, which are good overclockers but needs loose timings :D

4. PH - A quite generic mems but reliable, same as PQI, but make sure to get the double sided mem :D Because there are some Single sided PH's out there too :D

Except for Geil, everything will be 4k or below :D

Disclaimer: Having these key info doesn't give any *real* assurance they are overclockable :D Its a pattern that you can use, and since they are binned as "Value" and not as an overclocking mem, results will vary :D

GL :thumbsupsmiley:

i have a question to the pc gurus, i want to play quake IV in a high/highest setting but for the moment my pc can't handle it really well so i have to downgrade the graphics quality to medium. will it be advisable if i overclock my Nvidia 5700LE 256mb video card to be able to play Quake IV in my desired settings? i have a 1G ram but my processor speed falls short to just 1.6Ghz. thanks.

Hi, may I know why some people recommend buying memory in pairs? 

ie 2 pcs of 512mb instead of 1 pc of 1g

If I am using a dual core 2.66 P4, I would I miss if I use 1 pc of 1g instead of 2pcs of 512mb?

Thanks.

I second cheese. Many of my friends in the American forums prefer and suggested me to buy a pair of 512MB RAM instead of 1piece of 1Gig RAM.

Reminder, unless you are using Windows XP Pro x64 or the upcoming Windows Vista, XP Pro has maximum of 2Gb memory. Using more than that may slow down your memory performance.

Just a share. ^_^

i have a question to the pc gurus, i want to play quake IV in a high/highest setting but for the moment my pc can't handle it really well so i have to downgrade the graphics quality to medium. will it be advisable if i overclock my Nvidia 5700LE 256mb video card to be able to play Quake IV in my desired settings? i have a 1G ram but my processor speed falls short to just 1.6Ghz. thanks.

For me, I think that will do a little increase in performance. If you have much higher versions of video cards like the 6 series or 7, maybe it is possible. :P

What is your processor AMD or Intel?:P I suggest before overclocking, be sure that you have enough cooling. You don't want to end up frying your components right. Because when you OC your card, perhaps you can also OC your memory and CPU to further add performance.. Or if you are not feeling safe of OCing by itself, you could get a new piece of an AGP card. I heard rumors that 7600GT will be available to AGP8X slot the said when the GeForce 8 come out.

Just my opinion..

I second cheese. Many of my friends in the American forums prefer and suggested me to buy a pair of 512MB RAM instead of 1piece of 1Gig RAM.

Reminder, unless you are using Windows XP Pro x64 or the upcoming Windows Vista, XP Pro has maximum of 2Gb memory. Using more than that may slow down your memory performance.

Just a share. ^_^

Well, actually, the maximum mem that you can put into your system will depend on your mobo and proc :D Like AMD64 939, some mobos can handle 4gb, but since the mem controller is integrated, it'll run either 2T or DDR333 (like MSI mobos :D)

Yep, I never said Im not with DC kits :D Im also into dual channel, the speed increase is noticable but it is there :D

Oh yeah, one more thing why people will tell you to go DC, sometimes, when you buy another mem, it'll have a diff chipset or latency, even if its the same brand :D And will sometimes be more of a headache too :D

For me, I think that will do a little increase in performance. If you have much higher versions of video cards like the 6 series or 7, maybe it is possible. :P

What is your processor AMD or Intel?:P I suggest before overclocking, be sure that you have enough cooling. You don't want to end up frying your components right. Because when you OC your card, perhaps you can also OC your memory and CPU to further add performance.. Or if you are not feeling safe of OCing by itself, you could get a new piece of an AGP card. I heard rumors that 7600GT will be available to AGP8X slot the said when the GeForce 8 come out.

Just my opinion..

thanks for the reply. am currently using an intel processor. am already planning to upgrade my mother board to accomodate a processor speed of 3.2Ghz since i'll be needing a faster machine for rendering. what motherboard and graphics card can you suggest since am running 3d programs like Maya and 3d studio max. ok ba yung Nvidia Quadro FX 3500 for graphics, or is ATi better?thanks.

I suggest for the Nvidia since they have more stable and up-to-date drivers. Yes ATI cards are faster but I have some feedbacks of their buggy cards. And most of the programs uses Nvidia ^_^...

If you upgrade, I suggest you wait for Conroe. It will be released sometime in June 23 I think. So that your upgrade will be worth spending..:P

Im planning to buy a gaming RIG of limited budget lng, although im not much of a gamer and im not into those intensive gfx games like F.E.A.R. DOOM3 etc. Ask ko lng kung Ok na ung GF 6600 LE, im opting to buy d 6600 GT kso kulng na talaga ung budget ehhh,

THX to all

Hi Kjota, may I know what is a "conroe"?  Thanks

Conroe is the codename of Intel's new Core2 processors. It's supposed to be the fastest processor according to various benchmarks recently released by major enthusiast websites, ie. Tomshardware, Anandtech, etc. It's what will succeed Intel's Pressler core (P4 900 series). Hope this helps.

Im planning to buy a gaming RIG of limited budget lng, although im not much of a gamer and im not into those intensive gfx games like F.E.A.R. DOOM3 etc. Ask ko lng kung Ok na ung GF 6600 LE, im opting to buy d 6600 GT kso kulng na talaga ung budget ehhh,

THX to all

Don't get either, they won't play upcoming games that well. Instead, save up a bit more and get a 7600GS, or better yet a 7600GT. Playing a new game like Elder Scrolls Oblivion on a 6600GT isn't fun at all. You'll only be able to play on low quality settings.

Just a question ...

Whats the difference when playing a game on low, medium, or high settings??? .. in my own opinion, the differences are negligible....... Far CRY for example try ko siya sa high settings tsaka sa medium then sa low.. wala akong makitang major graphical improvements.. pareho pareho lang...set ko nalang sa low to minimize freezing.. Ang tindi pa rin nang graphics...

Same results with nfs:most wanted,HalfLIFE2, and NBA live 06... the high and low settings are almost the same...

THX to all

Don't get either, they won't play upcoming games that well.  Instead, save up a bit more and get a 7600GS, or better yet a 7600GT.  Playing a new game like Elder Scrolls Oblivion on a 6600GT isn't fun at all.  You'll only be able to play on low quality settings.

No offense dude but I think its clearly stated that he is not into extreme graphics hog games. Elder Scrolls IV is one of it.

Just to take note guys. NOT all gamers are serious gamers who can afford an upgrade of every 3 to 6 months worth 5 digits prices. To give you all guys a clear statement, it is a matter of satisfaction. Yes we want to play games but what wrong if you can play it smoothly on low settings? Its the game that matters. If youre a rich guy, well maybe that is a no prob ^_^

@tsoknut, if you can save up more buy a GeForce 6800 and you are in sure good. I know what you feel that as long as games will be played nicely right? May I know whats ur planned rig and budget? PM me your answer.

Its a matter of satisfaction. Constant upgrade will suck all your money. And thats the truth. Sori if OT.

Just a question ...

Whats the difference when playing a game on low, medium, or high settings??? .. in my own opinion, the differences are negligible.......  Far CRY for example try ko siya sa high settings tsaka sa medium then sa low.. wala akong makitang major graphical improvements.. pareho pareho lang...set ko nalang sa low to minimize freezing.. Ang tindi pa rin nang graphics... 

Same results with nfs:most wanted,HalfLIFE2, and NBA live 06... the high and low settings are almost the same...

Well, there’s three things that affect the graphics quality of a game. First, you have your texture quality. This is what determines how crisp the object models of what you see in the game are. A high resolution texture used on a character's face will show you the most detailed facial features. The lower this gets, the less detail you see, ie. wrinkles, fair follicles. Second, there's the shader effects. These are what enables most of the eye candy, ie. shiny surfaces, translucent waters, water ripples, etc. The more you have of these, the better the game looks lie. Lastly, there's the game resolution. The higher this is, the less jaggies you see on game objects. Now, to answer your question, it's true that adjusting graphical settings on many games can produce relatively less obvious improvements to the untrained eye. Hardcore gamers and those that have been playing games for a while now can tell the difference. If you can't tell the difference, consider yourself lucky as you can immerse yourself in a game, have the highest level of satisfaction without having to spend too much for a good computer.

Here's a link to compare quality setting in Doom3. Can you spot the difference?

http://www2.hardocp.com/image.html?image=M...1hfM182X2wuanBn

No offense dude but I think its clearly stated that he is not into extreme graphics hog games. Elder Scrolls IV is one of it.

Just to take note guys. NOT all gamers are serious gamers who can afford an upgrade of every 3 to 6 months worth 5 digits prices. To give you all guys a clear statement, it is a matter of satisfaction. Yes we want to play games but what wrong if you can play it smoothly on low settings? Its the game that matters. If youre a rich guy, well maybe that is a no prob ^_^

@tsoknut, if you can save up more buy a GeForce 6800 and you are in sure good. I know what you feel that as long as games will be played nicely right? May I know whats ur planned rig and budget? PM me your answer.

Its a matter of satisfaction. Constant upgrade will suck all your money. And thats the truth. Sori if OT.

I apologize, I didn't mean to imply that he'll be playing those type of games. Instead, I just wanted to point out that it's better to buy the latest generation video cards to be more future proof. You can go lo-end if your budget doesn't permit but get the latest chipsets (dx9c compliant). I'm not sure of how much video card sells in the Philippines but in the US, I can get a 7300GS for roughly the same price as a 6600LE. Buying the latest doesn't mean buying the most expensive.