What's Your Video Card?

• 3 weeks later...

XFX 7900GT Extreme Edition SLI (2 vc's) :D

Ummm... re: the post above, Don't buy a 6800GT, first of all, its hot, 2nd, it consumes power. If you want to go SLI, go for 7900GT then go for SLI mode :D Anyway, you're just adding a few bucks nalang :D

Oh yeah, 7900GT is faster and consumes less power compared to 7800GTX, less expensive too :D

LOL! I thought I lost this thread! I kept looking at the video games section.

Anyways, I just droped two grand on a new build. I invested on an SLi card, the home of my dual nVidia 7800GTs. Thank God, I found out that it doesn't matter if you have an SLi card, but have a low core (single core mostly) processor.

My friends went out and upgraded their mobos for the lastest SLi craze only to find out their AMD64s are worthless when running two 6800s. So most of them have to upgrade... Big Time!

I now have a Pent. D 950 (dual core) to run two 7800GT's and for good measure, I cool that CPU with liquid coolant. I invested on a mobo that accepts 2GBs of memory and boy I could finally do some film editing in my PC.

Oh, yeah. I'm still very much a gamer. But I won't be overclocking this system for a very long time. So far, all the games I played are set at the highest possible setting without complaints from the twin 7800s and Pent. D 950.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/azrach187/gutsyy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/azrach187/side1.jpg

Edited by azrach187
LOL! I thought I lost this thread! I kept looking at the video games section.

Anyways, I just droped two grand on a new build. I invested on an SLi card, the home of my dual nVidia 7800GTs. Thank God, I found out that it doesn't matter if you have an SLi card, but have a low core (single core mostly) processor.

My friends went out and upgraded their mobos for the lastest SLi craze only to find out their AMD64s are worthless when running two 6800s. So most of them have to upgrade... Big Time!

I now have a Pent. D 950 (dual core) to run two 7800GT's and for good measure, I cool that CPU with liquid coolant. I invested on a mobo that accepts 2GBs of memory and boy I could finally do some film editing in my PC.

Oh, yeah. I'm still very much a gamer. But I won't be overclocking this system for a very long time. So far, all the games I played are set at the highest possible setting without complaints from the twin 7800s and Pent. D 950.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/azrach187/gutsyy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/azrach187/side1.jpg

Hmmm? I don't get it, what do you mean by their AMD64's worthless when running 2 6800s? My Opteron 170 (Overclocked to 2.7ghz) has no problem w/ 2 7900GTs. :D

Hmmm? I don't get it, what do you mean by their AMD64's worthless when running 2 6800s? My Opteron 170 (Overclocked to 2.7ghz) has no problem w/ 2 7900GTs. :D

Single core AMD64s. Opteron is dual, if I'm right, at least most of them.

Which bring me to my question. You mentioned you are running SLi, too... what's your chipset? A friend just bought an Opteron 165 processor (Denmark, socket 939) but he went through two mobos (SLi chipsets), the last being a TYAN Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra, because it still runs a bit sluggish. Yes, he does have eVGA 7900GTs, too. Maybe I could recommend the mobo you're using.

Single core AMD64s. Opteron is dual, if I'm right, at least most of them.

Which bring me to my question. You mentioned you are running SLi, too... what's your chipset? A friend just bought an Opteron 165 processor (Denmark, socket 939) but he went through two mobos (SLi chipsets), the last being a TYAN Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra, because it still runs a bit sluggish. Yes, he does have eVGA 7900GTs, too. Maybe I could recommend the mobo you're using.

LOL :D Single Core AMD64's ARE still best for gaming :D Remember, there are very very few games which utilizes (and 0 games to fully utilize) dual core. :D Thus, for hardcore gamers, an FX-57 is still the fastest gaming/single proc around. :D The only program I know that properly takes advantage of dual core is 3dMark 05/06 and PCMark05 :D

My AMD64 3000+ oc'ed to 2.7ghz runs pretty well in my MSI K8N Diamond Plus SLI 16X, as well as my Opteron 170 @ 2.7ghz. both running @ max res and max eye candies @ FEAR (16xx resolutions) in my Dell 24" Widescreen. The AMD64 3000+ @ 2.7ghz proved to have better framerates compared to the dual core, as to any other games I have.

FYI Nforce4 ultra chipsets use single GPU only :D

The reasons I can think of why their Single Core AMDs are sluggish is...

1. Too many background application, Norton is the biggest culprit, it eats a lot of resources :D

2. WinXP startup will definitely be slow on single core cpu's

3. eVGA is a problematic brand, they're the ones who has the highest rating w/ DOA vcs. Had my shares w/ eVGA too, the reason I shifted to XFX now, and maybe Gainward's Bliss version later :D

Also, w/ AMD64 procs, its always a must to overclock it :D Since the room for overclocking the procs is really high, so squeeze everything out of the money you spent :D

BTW, why did you h2o cooled your proc?:D You're not even oc'ing right?:D

FYI Nforce4 ultra chipsets use single GPU only :D

Dunno, I'm just relaying the problem. I didn't really do any research on it. Maybe that's a culprit... he's trying to run non-SLi mobos...

Also, w/ AMD64 procs, its always a must to overclock it :D Since the room for overclocking the procs is really high, so squeeze everything out of the money you spent :D

BTW, why did you h2o cooled your proc?:D You're not even oc'ing right?:D

Well, I just roasted an AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4GHz (o'clocked @ 2.6) from my old system. Knowing AMDs runs good at extreme temperatures but I pushed my luck too far. I didn't have a UPS on the old system and I left my PC on for two weeks while at a film location shoot and came home with a fried processor (it wasn't pretty!).

Over-clocking my new Pent. D 950? Why? I never had any problem with the programs, 2GB of memory does make a difference. I usually run Limewire, Norton Liveupdate, Norton Autoprotect, Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Media Center (I must have music to listen to!), HD Sound driver, Adobe Photoshop CS, Adobe Image Ready and Macromedia Flash while surfing a bunch of sites in the net at the same time (like right now) on a regular basis with no slowdowns. I'm a film student/animator so I am more inclined to have all these programs running.

Likewise, I run the video stress test (on CS Source/HL2) with some background programs still running, namely Limewire and Norton Liveupdate/Autoprotect and get 175.85 FPS, something I couldn't get on my old video card (I think my old 6800GT vid card's best was 132 FPS!).

So overclocking my system now is a bit of an overkill, not to mention an undue harm to the processor (although I must admit Dual Cores are very tempting!).

Maybe someday when programs are a bit more tasking and I become more demanding. For now I'll let the CPU sit at a cool 5º F - 8º F (-15º C to -13º C). Likewise, after what happened to my old CPU, I don't recommend overclocking if your cooling system is less to be desired, heck I don't recommend overclocking at all :hypocritesmiley: (so I don't get any blame!)

I bought the liquid coolant for two reasons: this is my first one and I'm curious how good they really are, so far I must admit they are much better than a fan, since mine comes with fan control. Second, like I said earlier, when the day comes, I will overclock.

Here's the con of a liquid CPU cooler so far: A bit harder to install. Make sure your power supply is sufficient. Sounds like a jet plane taking-off when you start your PC (it quiets down when the desired temperature is achieved). Requires a special ATX (the ones that have or could have a second 120mm case fan enclosure/input).

I thought of cooling the two video cards, too, but my wallet is crying murder at this moment. Maybe in the future. So far my 7800GTs are running at a cool 30º F - 35º F (around 0º C) according to nVidia Desktop Manager, so I don't see any reason just yet.

:mtc:

Hi, may I know the differences between 7600, 7800, & 7900 video cards?  I plan to use it for gaming.  Which one do you recommend for gaming in a non-airconditioned room?  What would I miss if the cards are not in sli?

Not a whole lot from 7600 to 7800, from 7800 to 7900. BUT from 7600 to 7900, yes, very noticeable.

First is performance. 7900 of-course would perform much faster than 7600 providing they run on the same type of processor. Second is the "shaders." Basically, the later the video card, the better in "shading" games that came out at the same time the video card did. Others are technical mumbo-jumbos such as "bleeding-edge" graphics, Hi-def rendering, etc.

To trully diffrentiate each and everyone of the 7 series, just go to nVidia.com.

Simply put, 7600 is good, 7800 is better and 7900 is best. Then there's a "bare" 7600, then 7600GS, then 7600GT, then 7600GTX. The same thing. The "bare" runs at the minimum performace with GTX running at the best performance.

To make it a little more confusing: a 7600GTX is running faster than a 7800GS. So, you'll be better buying 7600GTX over a 7900.

And then comes the memory. If you ask my opinion, I don't see any reason buying a video card with less than 256 memory, to take out some burden off your processor.

Also, take into account what processor you have. It doesn't matter if buy the biggest, baddest video card you can afford, only to find that your processor is a bit dated. A good rule of thumb, is get a processor that was "born" around the same time the video card was. No, it doesn't have to be the fastest or most expensive ones. Just powerful enough to handle the games your vid card is about to play.

The SLi technology is basically the "newest" trend. It cuts the processing need of your video card to half, taking some "juice" off the processor. Ironically, you must have a good processor to run two cards to begin with, so it is a matter of "if you are going to jump, you better jump high!" mentality.

What are you going to miss, not having an SLi? Well, the games are now graphically demanding. While the so called next-gen consoles such as Xbox 360 are enjoying the "cutting edge" graphics, to PC gamers, they are but last years news. The technology is moving forward and those that gets left behind, gets left behind. Or else we'd still be playing the first Doom. So would they start making games that caters to SLi users?

If you've played F.E.A.R. on 7600, then you know it is true, since F.E.A.R. was made mostly to hi-end gamers. F.E.A.R. "stutters" on 7600. Imagine 6600 users. So the answer saddly is yes, SLi is now here to stay. As a matter of fact, Quad nVidia SLi Technology is rising in the horizon. Yes, FOUR video cards!

I hope I answered your question! B)

Which one do you recommend for gaming in a non-airconditioned room?

Okay, first, if you are about to invest on an expensive vid card, make sure your PC "runs cool" (Check the BIOS) to see the temperature of your CPU. Running a high-end vid card would raise your temperature up to 5% (depends on the processor brand). Each vid card is made by different companies such as EVGA, MSI, etc. and each heat-sink and fan is different, from one manufacturer to another. Search the ones that runs the coolest (I'll help you look if you need me to).

No, you don't have to have an aircondition to play games, but at least meke sure your PC isn't sitting in direct sunlight. Put your PC in a well ventilated area (near an open window where sunlight doesn't come through), and never (here's a pet-peeve), ever put a retarded looking "dust" cover to a running PC. God, I think I saw a million in the Phils.

Your ATX case does the most damage to your processor and your vid card too. Some are made totally crappy with not enough fans and ventilation. Get ones that have at least two 80mm fans.

What is the fastest video card that doesn't need cooling fan?

Almost all individual graphics card have some kind of cooling device. Most that don't come with, requires you to cool it "on your own" since some people cool it using liquid coolants or likes an "after-market" fans and heat sinks.

Only the "on-board" or "integrated" video cards, the ones that comes with a mobo (motherboard) such as GeForce4 MX or Radeon Xpress 200 doesn't need cooling since they only run 64MB memory unlike AGP/PCI-E/PCI "self-contained" video cards which runs at least 128MB of memory. NOTE: These cards often comes with a mobo that is a pain to upgrade later on since you have to disable the on-board video card (which is a major pain!) and erase the old video card driver (which is sometimes, impossible) if you do decide to purchase a self-contained video card.

So there you go. Basically, if you are buying a separate video card, it more than likely comes with a form of cooling, one way or another. Providing a good ATX case with much circulation is key in keeping the vid card cool.