What's Your Video Card?

Why not go for Asrock939 Dual SATA 2?:D Socket 939 but can handle 2 vc's :D An AGP and PCI-E :D So you can keep your old AGP and you don't have to buy a new PCI-E :D its cheap too, around 3k only :D

Almost all newly created mobos come with PCI-X and AGP.

If you have done so in the past, you'd know that replacing a mobo is one of the hardest thing to do, hard-ware wise, in a PC. Simply open up your PC and find out.

The usual route gamers take is this: upgrade everything except the mother board and processor. When the time comes to build another PC (or "upgrad" as some calls it), selecting the mobo/chipset/processor is the first decision to make, knowing it has to out last the rest of the periphery. And then the rest of the peripherals with vain obsession focused on the vid card.

Vid cards are only half of the graphics package. Faster processors such as AMD 64 and Pentium D are the processors preferred by game creators. Having less than a gig in your memory would make you stare at the loadscreen, and of-course, for those on-line gamers, having a connection less than a T1 would be a never ending nightmare of "lag kills."

Upgrading a mobo to accomodate a new vid card isn't worth it.

Almost all newly created mobos come with PCI-X and AGP.

If you have done so in the past, you'd know that replacing a mobo is one of the hardest thing to do, hard-ware wise, in a PC. Simply open up your PC and find out.

The usual route gamers take is this: upgrade everything except the mother board and processor. When the time comes to build another PC (or "upgrad" as some calls it), selecting the mobo/chipset/processor is the first decision to make, knowing it has to out last the rest of the periphery. And then the rest of the peripherals with vain obsession focused on the vid card.

Vid cards are only half of the graphics package. Faster processors such as AMD 64 and Pentium D are the processors preferred by game creators. Having less than a gig in your memory would make you stare at the loadscreen, and of-course, for those on-line gamers, having a connection less than a T1 would be a never ending nightmare of "lag kills."

Upgrading a mobo to accomodate a new vid card isn't worth it.

are you sure about your statement that almost ALL NEWLY CREATED mobos already comes w/ PCI-X and AGP?:D For AMD, there's only a two of them out there (939), the VIA VT8237R of the ECS K8T890-A, the Asrock Dual SATA 2 w/ ULi M1567 chipset, and I think 1 for 754. Intel has a few too, but none of then w/ the famed ULI chipset :D They are a rare breed :D And these breeds won't get any bigger, since most are focusing w/ PCI-X only :D Most comes w/ NForce4 which doesn't support it, VIA on the other hand, is a dying breed. ULI is the one who's surviving the chipset battle, so I don't think there'll be more AGP/PCI-X Combos in the future except the ULI chipset, which only comes w/ Asrock :D

Yes, I've done it before, but simply to put it up, I regret doing the chop chop buying, where I stick to the proc and mobo, and then just upgrade everything else. PC's are investments, you buy them so you can use their full potential and deliver the best experience from it. But if you buy a pc (esp as a gamer) and keep complaining lag, reboots, etc etc etc, whats the use of buying a pc when its just a headache? :D yes, its hurts the pocket, but compared to the experience and the quality that you'll get, priceless. :D

Upgrading the mobo (w/ the AGP and PCI-X slot) is a smart choice, given the situation, you don't have to worry about any frther upgrades, yes, you need to buy a new proc, but at least half of your headaches are gone. :D most other peripherals are simply plug and play again :D so no worry for total revamp :D

are you sure about your statement that almost ALL NEWLY CREATED mobos already comes w/ PCI-X and AGP?:D For AMD, there's only a two of them out there (939), the VIA VT8237R of the ECS K8T890-A, the Asrock Dual SATA 2 w/ ULi M1567 chipset, and I think 1 for 754.  Intel has a few too, but none of then w/ the famed ULI chipset :D They are a rare breed :D And these breeds won't get any bigger, since most are focusing w/ PCI-X only :D Most comes w/ NForce4 which doesn't support it, VIA on the other hand, is a dying breed.  ULI is the one who's surviving the chipset battle, so I don't think there'll be more AGP/PCI-X Combos in the future except the ULI chipset, which only comes w/ Asrock :D

Yes, I've done it before, but simply to put it up, I regret doing the chop chop buying, where I stick to the proc and mobo, and then just upgrade everything else.  PC's are investments, you buy them so you can use their full potential and deliver the best experience from it.  But if you buy a pc (esp as a gamer) and keep complaining lag, reboots, etc etc etc, whats the use of buying a pc when its just a headache? :D yes, its hurts the pocket, but compared to the experience and the quality that you'll get, priceless. :D

Upgrading the mobo (w/ the AGP and PCI-X slot) is a smart choice, given the situation, you don't have to worry about any frther upgrades, yes, you need to buy a new proc, but at least half of your headaches are gone. :D most other peripherals are simply plug and play again :D so no worry for total revamp :D

Okay. You brought a lot of good point.

First I said "Almost all."

In the end, it is depending on the BRAND of the mobo you are buying (yes, including new ones). I have recently checked Newegg.com, one of the best place to buy peripherals (in US atleast), and I have found this out:

Pent. 4/ D Compatible mobos (as of Mar. 5 2006)

ABIT: 2 mobos with AGP, 1 mobos without AGP

Albatron: 1 with, 1 without.

AOpen: 1 with, 4 without.

ASRock: 2 with, 1 without.

ASUS: 7 with, 4 without.

Biostar:3 with, 1 without.

DFI: 1 with, 0 without.

ECS: 1 with, 0 without.

Epox: 3 with, 1 without.

EVGA: 0 with, 1 without.

Foxcon: 3 with, 4 without.

Gb: 6 with, 5 without.

Intel: 0 with, 8 without.

Jetway: 4 with, 0 without.

MSI: 5 with, 4 without.

PC Chips: 2 with, 0 without.

AMD 64/Sempron Compatible mobos (as of Mar. 5 2006)

ABIT: 3 mobos with AGP, 9 mobos without AGP

Albatron: 2 with, 4 without.

AOpen: 2 with, 3 without.

ASRock: 5 with, 3 without.

ASUS: 8 with, 20 without.

Biostar: 9 with, 13 without.

Chaintech. 2 with 1 without.

DFI: 5 with, 14 without.

ECS: 7 with, 14 without.

Epox: 9 with, 10 without.

EVGA: 1 with, 0 without.

Foxcon: 3 with, 9 without.

Gb: 6 with, 8 without.

Jetway: 6 with, 7 without.

Mach Speed: 3 with, 0 without.

MSI: 3 with, 12 without.

PC Chips: 8 with, 0 without.

Sapphire: 0 with, 2 without.

Shuttle 2 with, 0 without.

Soltek: 9 with, 5 without.

Soyo: 1 with, 0 without.

As you can see, AGP isn't going away soon. yes, AMD supports AGP much more than Intel does and if you noticed, Intel brushes AGP slots on the new mobos. Note that I used Pent. 4/Celeron D and AMD 64/Sempron since these guys are currently the industry leaders. A recent news article on nVidia announces continued support for AGP based PCs for the 7000 series.

Edited by azrach187

Lolz :D Yeah, AGP won't go away that quick :D And to be exact, a new version of AGP is on the way (16x and 32x is in the process :D) But what I meant there arer mobos w/ AGP and PCI-X :D Since, this way, no such hassles are needed w/ future expansions :D Case and point another great mobo of asrock, the SLI32, which in SLI mode, will run both vc's @ 16x :D Although there's no AGP slot, an AMD M2 expansion slot is already included there :D And it's below 100 dollars :D very very cheap :D

Anyway, i don't buy much in Newegg :D Too commercialized :D I still go for Monarch :D Anyway, I only buy during sales :D I get 'em cheaper :D hahaha :D Monarch's the best place in getting OEM highly overclockable procs (0530 production dates :D) and some great bundles :D of course, other stuffs, still goes to Newegg :D

I have a question

I just installed NFS Most Wanted in my PC, and I saw that the minimum requirements for the game are

1.0Ghz Processor

64 MB vid card

256 MB ram

I have a 1.7 G Processor, 128 Mb Geforce 5200 and 512 DDRam

My question is, Why does the game graphics SUCK?!? It's so choppy, and even on the lowest video settings, i cannot run the game smoothly.

Is there something wrong with my specs? Im trying to download the latest nvidia driver and see if this would fix the problem. any tips?

I have a question

I just installed NFS Most Wanted in my PC, and I saw that the minimum requirements for the game are

1.0Ghz Processor

64 MB vid card

256 MB ram

I have a 1.7 G Processor, 128 Mb Geforce 5200 and 512 DDRam

My question is, Why does the game graphics SUCK?!? It's so choppy, and even on the lowest video settings, i cannot run the game smoothly.

Is there something wrong with my specs? Im trying to download the latest nvidia driver and see if this would fix the problem. any tips?

your 128 mb Geforce 5200 is below standard, the standard being the 5500 series. Still if you one your games with fluid movements buy a video card above the 5500 series.

whats the best buy  agp midrange vidcard now? im planning to upgrade my ati 9600 xt

I'd go for Inno3d Nvidia 6600GT 128MB DDR 128 Bit. Very nice performance, bought it june last year at 11.2k. it only costs now at 7.3k.

Naka maximum settings ako sa lahat ng games

1. NBA LIVE 2006

2. BATTLE FOR MIDDLE EARTH 2

3. NEED FOR SPEED 2

4. GUILDWARS

5. DOOM 3

6. RAINBOW 6: LOCKDOWN

7. GENERALS - AFTERMATH

8. FARCRY

Wala pang paltos dude. I would recommend this one.

6600gt is the mid end card today :D if you have more money to sparem either 6800gs or 7600gt :D

dude, ano difference ng 6800GT sa 6800 Ultra besides price? and there's this 7600gs in PCexpress almost the same price of 6800GT

here's the prices

Inno3D Geforce 6600GT - Php 7,300.00

Inno3D GeForce 6800GT - Php 16,200.00

Inno3D GeForce 7800GS - Php 16,400.00

Inno3D GeForce 6800Ultra - Php 21,150.00

Inno3D GeForce 7800GTX - Php 27,000.00

Thanks!

dude, ano difference ng 6800GT sa 6800 Ultra besides price? and there's this 7600gs in PCexpress almost the same price of 6800GT

here's the prices

Inno3D Geforce 6600GT - Php 7,300.00

Inno3D GeForce 6800GT - Php 16,200.00

Inno3D GeForce 7800GS - Php 16,400.00

Inno3D GeForce 6800Ultra - Php 21,150.00

Inno3D GeForce 7800GTX - Php 27,000.00

Thanks!

Why go Inno3d? Inno3d's performance is way below even when compared to Palit :D If you want a budget vc that performs well, Palit is the brand :D

diff between GT and Ultra? Core clock, Memory Bandwidth, etc etc :D But Ultra is not recommended, since the performance diff is not that big.

7600gs? afaik its GT :D Actually, very small diff, there are some games/programs that will run better w/ 7600gs while while some will run a tad slower in some programs too :D its only better w/ newer games who can take advantage of its new features :D

I hear Gecube is the best

I have a Palit card and so far ok siya, mas mahal ng unti pero sulit

Gecube is for ATI :D Palit is Nvidia, so far, Palit is cheapest, next comes Inno3d, then you have leadtek etc etc :D

I like Palit because its cheap, decent oc ability for the price, and decent stock performance, the only con I see is that their hsf is, well, sux LD

Inno3d, well, only thing I like here is the renewable warranty (like you'll use it) and their decent hsf, other than that, this brand sux.

Leadtek and Sparkle is my next bet, decent price w/ great stock speed and better oc ability, although Sparkle seems to oc better than Leadtek though... :D