San Miguel Beer

I agree with that, but its not only their defense but their consistency in playing the game, imagine that 4 of their starting 5 are scoring in double figures and are monster off the board. This is the main difference from last season's team. If they keep on being this consistent and dominant, they can easily bag the title.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im a fan since grade school, I'll bet my week long fare to our family driver, who happens to be a ginebra fan. luckily during those times caidic, and the rest was booming good...

I end up betting for a gold fish sa streeet merchants, may x or check sa papel, yung hinuhulog sa tubig... hahaha

:D :thumbsupsmiley:

• 2 months later...
for the smb fans... what do you guys think of the teams new recruits?... (tenorio and espinas)

was it a good pick or not? share your thoughts...

Good choice for smb, somehow it addressed some of the weak areas in the team and made them a bit younger. Adding Espinas to the line up covers for the lost of Belasco last year. Tenorio will surely lead this team 2 to 3 years from now after Racela retires. I think they are still short of 1 big man to help out Ildefonso and Pena. They still have too many shooting guards and small forwards (cablay, adriano, hontiveros, gonzales, calaguio & seigle).

for the smb fans... what do you guys think of the teams new recruits?... (tenorio and espinas)

was it a good pick or not? share your thoughts...

I dont know about Espinas but Tenorio would be a big help, Start na din yon ng transition from Racela to (maybe) Tenorio. Lets face it Racela is starting to age and slow down. Tenorio might be the perfect "next gen" player for SMB

Its also a good decision for SMC to appoint Chot Reyes to coach SMB, Coach Uichico has become to be too predictable and has kept SMB stagnant the past few years. I'm sure the new coaching change will be better for SMB.

Good luck to Ginebra, I hope Coach Uichico can do a better job than Siot.

• 1 month later...

Jarencio joins SMB coaching staff

Inquirer

Last updated 01:36am (Mla time) 10/10/2006

Published on page A22 of the October 10, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

FOR UNIVERSITY of Santo Tomas Tigers coach Pido Jarencio, when it rains it pours.

A little over a week after his España-based Growling Tigers clinched the UAAP championship against the highly favored Ateneo de Manila University Blue Eagles, the rookie bench tactician was appointed as an assistant coach of San Miguel Beer in the Philippine Basketball Association.

“Inuulan yata ako ng swerte (I’m still in luck),” said the 42-year-old Jarencio, who himself was a standout as a UST Glowing Goldie from 1981 to 1984, even though his school failed to win a title then.

“Iba yata talaga ‘pag marami ang nagdadasal para sa ginagawa mo (I think this is because many prayed for me for what we have accomplished).”

Jarencio is no stranger to the Beermen, having spent some of his memorable playing days in the pro league with the team under coach Norman Black, who ironically was the mentor of the Ateneo team that Jarencio’s boys beat in the UAAP finals.

In yet another ironic twist, a true-blue Atenean, Chot Reyes, now heads SMB’s coaching staff. Nevertheless, Reyes welcomed Jarencio’s addition to the Beermen’s coaching staff.

“By beating Ateneo, Pido has earned my respect,” said Reyes. “He showed his talent in planning each game, making adjustments and motivating his players.

Reyes had mentored Jarencio at Pop Cola, Pido’s last PBA team.

Jarencio will be reunited with SMB team manager Samboy Lim, who was once his teammate at Northern Consolidated Cement-RP team and the Lagerlite-Magnolia ball clubs of the PABL (now PBL).

http://newsinfo.inq7.net/inquirerheadlines...rticle_id=25785

Realtors trip Beermen for win No. 2

By Nelson Beltran

The Philippine Star 10/12/2006

Sta. Lucia struggled for only four points in the last seven minutes of the game but came through with crucial defensive stops at endgame as the Realtors stopped the injury-plagued San Miguel Beermen, 98-95, for a second straight win in the Talk n Text PBA Philippine Cup at the Araneta Coliseum last night.

Fil-Am players Kelly Williams and Alex Cabagnot lost their shooting touch in the fourth quarter but leaned on their tough defense in the closing seconds, helping the Realtors book a second successive victory following a 96-88 whipping of the Air21 Express last Friday.

"I think we played well most of the way but relaxed a bit towards the end. But we showed heart at crunch time to preserve the win," said Sta. Lucia coach Alfrancis Chua.

"Without Danny Seigle, we expected them to trap (in defense). They did but I think we lost only one possession," Chua added.

Realtors gamely defused the Beermen’s pressure defense, but in the process ran into an offensive spell, enabling the Beermen to get back into the game after falling behind by 17 points thrice early in the contest.

The Beermen came within one play of completing a big come-from-behind win but bungled the attempt, staying winless in two starts in the season.

With San Miguel down by just one at 95-96 with eight seconds to go, Christian Calaguio couldn’t shake off Williams and fumbled Gabby Espinas’ side-court inbound pass.

Dennis Espino, fouled by Willy Wilson in the ensuing play, sank his charities to make it 98-95.

With one final chance to send the game into overtime, the Beermen again went to Calaguio whose three-point attempt was foiled by Cabagnot, one of 12 blocked shots pulled off by the Realtors.

Offensively, sophomore forward Cesar Catli and veteran guard Paolo Mendoza shone brightest for the Realtors with each one firing four three-pointers and finishing with a total of 16 points.

Curiously, Catli, a 6-foot-2 wingman out of Far Eastern U, converted six straight field-goal attempts after missing his first three.

The Realtors had their last 17-point spread at 94-77 before blowing cold, scoring only four points all courtesy of Espino in the last seven minutes.

Calaguio presided over San Miguel’s searing attack on the other end of the court, rifling in three treys in an 18-2 romp that pushed the Beermen within one with still 29.6 seconds left to play.

Aris Dimaunahan failed to complete what could have been a game-tying four-point play in the closing seconds, allowing his former team Barangay Ginebra to escape with a 114-113 thriller over Air21 in the second game.

"Maganda na rin na na-push ang team. It gave us something to think about. Positive pa rin ito sa amin," said Ginebra coach Jong Uichico.

http://www.philstar.com/philstar/news200610121601.htm