If Only.... Mga What Ifs ng Buhay Natin...

Guest simply_miss

This was way back my high school days... parang kahapon lang tuwing maaalala ko, and napapangiti ako at napapailing whenever that happens.

I was a Senior, she was a sophomore. Being a straight-A student (grade-A dork), I only cared about my studies. Hey, I was only fourteen back then. We were of the same age.

I had this bestfriend who was the biggest campus crush and the most popular student. Of course hindi naman ako patatalo, I wasn't sharing the limelight with him bearing the title "the hottie's best friend". No, I had my own legend. Although I have to admit, he had genuine admirers (I don't know how to say 'suitor' without it sounding masculine), and I only had fans.

It was around September, so it was Student Government elections week. He ran for president, and I was his campaign manager. While he was doing his 'cutesies' at section F, there was this girl who just caught my eye. She was sitting near the window, and the sunlight made her eyes shine. I only realized I was staring at her when my bestfriend tapped me at my shoulder and said, "Hoy, ikaw na... pakilala mo naman sila". I kept glancing at her while I did my spiel, and she was glancing back.

Long story short, she became my first official crush. However, I found out na si bestfriend ang type nya. When I asked bestfriend if he likes her, he just shrugged and said, "She's pretty. Who knows?"

We didn't have that "Bros before hoes" thing, so I decided to befriend her. I succeeded. We started to be casual about each other, then progressed to the "shoulder slap" closeness, then the "hang-out after class" closeness. But I never courted her. In fact, I left school without even saying goodbye to her (I didn't attend graduation).

Thing is, I was too young to actually think about falling in love at that time. Pero hindi ko pa din maipaliwanag kung bakit ganun na lang 'yung panghihinayang ko nang sabihin sa'kin ng bestfriend nya ang ganito:

"Hinahanap ka ni Carla nung graduation. Umiyak kasi hindi ka dumating. May sasabihin daw sa'yong importante. Alam mo Rush, lagi ka na nyang bukambibig simula noong Valentine's. Eto nga pala 'yung card niya para sa'yo nun. Ninakaw ko lang 'yan sa kanya, nahihiya kasi siyang ibigay kaya hindi na lang niya tinuloy."

Inside the card was the refrain part of the song "Best In Me" by Blue (which was our favorite song at that time):

'Cause you bring out the best in me

Like no one else can do

That's why I'm by your side

That's why I love you

I never saw her again, and it's been a decade ago. Hanggang ngayon, whenever I see her card and the only picture we have together, I still ask that "What If" to myself.

Wow! Nakaktouch nman to!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Di na sana ako nag career change at pumayag sa erpat ko na tapusin ung kurso na sya ang may gusto... but well andun na yun you justhave to strive hard to find what's really in our heart's desire just like what Forrest Gump says .....

"LIFE IS LIKE A BOX OF CHOCOLATE ... YOU'LL NEVER EXPECT WHAT WILL YOU GET" ( KUNG MALI MGA BRO PAKI CORRECT NA LANG AKO... NAKALIMUTAN KO NA KASE ANG EXACT WORDS NA SINABI NYA , HEHEHEH )

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...