Language Subjects

• 3 weeks later...
anyone out there interested in this sstuff? its actually a great read and the daily applications is phenomenal...

Took 1 advanced physics course back in college, and I remember I was very much interested in quantum mechanics. The coolest principle in my opinion is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, i.e. it's impossible to measure (with arbitrary precision) certain pairs of properties (e.g. position and momentum) of a single elementary particle at the same time. If you increase the precision in measuring a particle's position, the effect is it will decrease the precision in measuring the momentum; and vice-versa.

In general, quantum mechanics changed the Newtonian view of the world that existed for almost 300 years - when you go down to the elementary particle level, Newton's laws of physics won't apply anymore. Now thats what I call a revolutionary idea!

• 3 weeks later...

yep yep... i love the fact that macroscopic observable reality does not apply to the world of the very small... knda proves that fractal theory does not exist... unless we deduce that perception of reality is not reality at all... hehehehehehehe...

ismple analogy, you get a car, running on gasoline and electricity... that much we know. lets say you make another car, at 1/2 inch in size, even if you microscopically make engine components through nano tech, the small car cannot run on gasoline and electricity... reason? the viscosity of gasoline is too dense for an automobile of that size to use... point being, rules and LAWS change when dealing with the very small...

Heisenbergs uncertainty principle is cool... I also love schroedingers/wheelers cat thought experiment... it says that if you put a cat inside a closed box and with that cat in the box, you put a vial ful of cyanide and a radioactive isotope beside that... question being, is the cat dead or alive...? Answer? it is either and neither... it's both. until you observe it.. whats the point? the reality of whether or not the cat is dead or alive is solely dependent on the observer and not on an actual facet of reality...

hehehehehehehehehehee.... doc, have you read the EPR paper?

hehehehehehehehehehee.... doc, have you read the EPR paper?

Yes, the "cat" analogy by Schrodinger was very good ... I remember my professor used that as an example as well.

I was never into "hard core" physics (which was really one of my academic frustrations), so I wasnt able to read the complete EPR (Einsteing-Podolsky-Rosen) paper.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Order from chaos is a matter of dimensions & reflexivity. Tis how I deal with both the physical & social sciences.

omg... same here.. I cant boast of taking up any advance physics subject back in school but I love Quantum Mechanics... reinforces the idea that change is constant even with existing laws... yay.. if you guys have any more ideas post it here... I want to learn more... im bumping the thread too...

Isn't it amazing how Einstein's Laws of the Expanding Universe conflict with the Randomness of Sub-Atomic Particles of Heisenberg's Principles & vice versa? No wonder they were at each other's necks.

Anyone studying string theory here?

Very interesting...

Need more time to study this

Edited by mason_rod

Here are some free on-line lectures, which I think are excellent, by a professor at Oxford University. The lectures can be used to learn about Quantum Mechanics or they can be used to learn about Quantum computing.

http://www.quiprocone.org/Protected/DD_lectures.htm

In Newtonian Mechanics, the goal is to determine the postion and location of every object at every point in time, given the forces acting between all pairs of objects, and the initial state of the system.

In Quantum Mechanics, the goal is different. The goal is to derive the probability that each object is located in any specified region of space at each point in time. To say it another way, the goal is to derive the joint probability density function for the position of all objects at every point in time given the initial joint probability density function for object position.

In Newtonian Mechanics, any problem can be solved using only Newton's three laws and applying them systematically to the problem at hand. These equations are coupled Ordinary Differential Equations. If you are dealing with point masses, then there are three second order equations for each object.

In Quantum Mechanics, the equations for any problem can be set up (in principle) using Schrodinger's Equation. This results in a set of Partial Differential Equations.

All of Quantum Mechanics derives from this principle. The Uncertainty principle, the idea of quantum states, etc. all come from this.

In Quantum Mechanics, you need to set the boundary conditions before you can completely solve the equation. This is a requirement for solving Partial Differential Equations. The boundary conditions can take the form of a joint probability density function at the initial starting time. This is regarded as the state of the system.

In Newtonian Mechanics, the state is given by the position and velocity at a point in time. In QM, it is given by the probability density function.

In QM, you can do an experiment repeatedly and get different results. The result of a single experiment is uncertain. But, if you repeat the same experiment many times, the results will conform to a predictable distribution which is predicted by Schrodinger's Equations.

-q

quadricorrelator, really nice one! Thanks for the tip! Talking about PDF ...

Peeps,

Anyone into Chaos & Catastrophe Theory?

I think these are key mathematical frontiers that haven't contributed enough to quantum physics.

Chaos isn't really the lack or absence of order but the conditions preceding order & make it possible.

Some changes aren't gradual but abrupt -- like a catastrophe, especially at a crucial point.

Here are some free on-line lectures, which I think are excellent, by a professor at Oxford University. The lectures can be used to learn about Quantum Mechanics or they can be used to learn about Quantum computing.

http://www.quiprocone.org/Protected/DD_lectures.htm

In Newtonian Mechanics, the goal is to determine the postion and location of every object at every point in time, given the forces acting between all pairs of objects, and the initial state of the system.

In Quantum Mechanics, the goal is different. The goal is to derive the probability that each object is located in any specified region of space at each point in time. To say it another way, the goal is to derive the joint probability density function for the position of all objects at every point in time given the initial joint probability density function for object position.

In Newtonian Mechanics, any problem can be solved using only Newton's three laws and applying them systematically to the problem at hand. These equations are coupled Ordinary Differential Equations. If you are dealing with point masses, then there are three second order equations for each object.

In Quantum Mechanics, the equations for any problem can be set up (in principle) using Schrodinger's Equation. This results in a set of Partial Differential Equations.

All of Quantum Mechanics derives from this principle. The Uncertainty principle, the idea of quantum states, etc. all come from this.

In Quantum Mechanics, you need to set the boundary conditions before you can completely solve the equation. This is a requirement for solving Partial Differential Equations. The boundary conditions can take the form of a joint probability density function at the initial starting time. This is regarded as the state of the system.

In Newtonian Mechanics, the state is given by the position and velocity at a point in time. In QM, it is given by the probability density function.

Very nice textbook explanation, thanks.

In QM, you can do an experiment repeatedly and get different results. The result of a single experiment is uncertain. But, if you repeat the same experiment many times, the results will conform to a predictable distribution which is predicted by Schrodinger's Equations.

-q

Would you say then that this is related to chaos and complexity theory?

Sounds more like reflexivity theory, albeit more a social theory. However, one branch of science has always managed to borrow from others. Why not in this case?

Edited by Mobius Stripper

Sounds more like reflexivity theory, albeit more a social theory. However, one branch of science has always managed to borrow from others. Why not in this case?

String, Chaos, Catastrophe and Complexity Theory all attempts to provide a complete, unified, and consistent descption of the fundamental structure of the universe and thefore put together general Relativity and Quantum Mechanics in a manner that would make sense.

Now where does Reflexivity Theory fits in, which is more like a social theory?

String, Chaos, Catastrophe and Complexity Theory all attempts to provide a complete, unified, and consistent descption of the fundamental structure of the universe and thefore put together general Relativity and Quantum Mechanics in a manner that would make sense.

Now where does Reflexivity Theory fits in, which is more like a social theory?

The observer/analyst influences the phenomenon which, in turn in influences the observer/analyst back. George Soros applies this principle so well ... by his valuations of the assets that he acquires or chooses not to, sells or chooses not to, or even considers, the act of analyzing them already changes its value & so his decision changes with the reflexivity.

Hence, the adventure continues.

Ok, so are we now prepared to to recognize the limitations of looking at everything from the viewpoint of cause and effect, where does it get us? Perhaps not far, but let us take a clue from shapes and patterns that are found in nature. One of the most fascinating pattern is the spiral which corresponds to the Fibonacci sequence. Our galaxy, like all the others, whirls into infinite space like a spiral. A Tungsten atom magnified millions of times looks like a galaxy . Water also spirals downwards in a whirlpool. When you mount a metal plate on a violin covered with sand and play a note, the sand will arrange themselves in a pattern commonly found in living organisms. The hair on our head grows in a spiral around the crown, and the head of a daisy is a double spiral as well. The foundation of all life, the DNA molecules that carries the genetic message for each living cell, is organized in a deceptively simple double spiral in which to lock its code. The list could go on and on.

Suffice it to say that the new science of Chaos and Complexity Theory looks at everything in a holistic viewpoint rather than fragmented parts of the whole. One of its leading proponent is Prof. Stephen Hawking of Oxford & Cambridge University. Whenever he speaks, everyone listen.

• 2 weeks later...

There is always the paper clip theory of the universe.

Have you ever noticed that no matter how many documents arrive on you desk with paper clips attached,

when the time comes to attach your own papers, the paper clip has vanished. That is because there is

only one paper clip in this universe and it instantly travels to locus points in time and space to attach all

documents simutaneously.

However it is a reversed perceived item which means that if you are actively looking for one, you won't find

it but half an hour later after you have given up and used the stapler, you open the desk drawer and 10 virtual

paper clips are in there laughing at you.

The universe was made for the paper clip and humans are only a virtual reality game for them

University of Washington physicist John Cramer is attempting to send a signal back through time ." From the article: "We're going to shoot an ultraviolet laser into a (special type of) crystal, and out will come two. lower-energy photons that are entangled," Cramer said. For the first phase of the experiment, to be started early next year, they will look for evidence of signaling between the entangled photons. Finding that would, by itself, represent a stunning achievement. Ultimately, the UW scientists hope to test for retrocausality - evidence of a signal sent between photons backward in time. The test will involve sending one of the photons down 10 miles of fiber optic cable, delaying it by 50 microseconds, then testing a quantum-mechanical aspect of the delayed photon. Due to quantum entanglement, the non-delayed photon would need to reflect the measurement made 50 microseconds later on the delayed photon. In order for this to happen, some kind of signal would need to be sent 50 microseconds back in time from the delayed photon to the non-delayed photon.