Language Subjects

• 2 weeks later...

just to prove that this theory is worthless...If the earth has a hollow core, then it would not have survive the impact of a huge meteor which started the chain of events leading to the mass extinction of such dinosaurs as T. Rex toward the end of cretaceous period and the beginning of the tertiary period (also known as the K/T boundary)....This is actually the widely accepted theory to explain the mass extinction of dinosaurs..

just some questions:

-who are these scientists who "negate the proven"? could you supply some names, credentials (or lack of), positions in academia, any published works that have been peer reviewed, or awards received?

-if the earth was really hollow, why does water not sink into the centre? the oceans would have disappeared a long time ago. not to mention lakes, rivers, streams, creeks, and waterfalls. however, i will certainly enjoy flushing the toilet more often now that i think about this...(here's one i've been saving specially for you underground motherf#&kers!!! it's got corn!)

-why aren't there more collapses? with the amount of buildings and other infrastructure on the surface of the planet, not to mention the rising population, the weight would have cracked through at several different locations by now; yet the collapses that occur never go deeper than a few metres, and always have an underlying cause that isn't due to a hollow earth. too many fat-asses more likely than not...

-how come deep exploratory drilling, like that done by the oil companies, hasn't yet punched through the layer that separates the surface from the next level? with the amount of oil rigs around the planet, and the number of years that drilling operations have been going on, somebody somewhere should have noticed that the drill is ..."meeting no resistance, it's just going round and round without anything getting in the way"!

-why are the "entrances" to this wonderland only located at the polar ends of the planet? do the inhabitants like the cold?

-how do the inhabitants survive the known, and proven (ask a geologist) high temperatures found deep under the surface? extra thick skin? better clothing? alien assistance? mind control? some really kick ass type of cannabis?

-how come spelunkers haven't come across any of these underground dwellers yet? or maybe they have and aren't telling. maybe they all look like halle berry, with the tits of pamela anderson, and the morals of jenna jameson, in which case i'm going spelunking next weekend.

i don't really think this belongs in the science and technology section. occult and supernatural would be a better location. it's a wackadoodle topic believed by woo-woos who read horoscopes, get reiki treatment, think george bush planned 9/11, believe psychics can really communicate with the dead, while drinking their decaffeinated soy milk lattes in recycled paper cups, while dreaming of the day elvis and tupac come back from whatever planet they're hiding on to help the world stop the nazis who survived world war two because they built a secret military base in antartica.

Not that I subscribe to this Hollow Earth thingie, but there are a few stuff that needs to be said (these are just off the top of my head though, I might get a few things mixed up, just bring it up and let's debate it :P ):

- Maintaining an orbit around a heavenly body isn't limited to weight of the satellite body, there's the gravitational pull of, say, the sun, and the trajectory of the Earth based on it's weight; same principles used for man-made space satellites, the trajectory is angled to attempt to escape the gravitational pull, but not enough to actually escape it, although for the case of satellites, they might have their own navigational systems to correct their orbit, or they'd either be lost in space of come crashing back down

- It's possible for a meteor to hit a hollow Earth and not cause a collapse; look at the common light bulb, it's hollow with a very thin crust, but it can take certain levels of impact and pressure. Now magnify that to match the size of the Earth and you've got a very tough shell to hit. It's all engineering on how to efectively distribute the pressure (like the bed of nails stunt).

- And that Meteor Cuasing the Exinction of Dinos Theory is just that, a theory (though there's a reason it's the most accepted). You can't always base a new theory on top of existing theories, or it would cause a domino collapse whenever one theory gets disproved. So they'd probably ignore that.

- One thing I can think of that can support the Hollow Earth theory would need to bring up the vast amounts of magma; notice how much longer an egg would spin when raw compared to a boiled egg? The liquid center provides added momentum for the rotation. But then a magma filled core is accepted and wouldn't make it exactly hollow...

- The deepest hole ever dug probably haven't even reached the layer below the Earth's crust: it's that think. Similarly, spelunkers can't go down underground tunnels like in the movies due to lack of oxygen. I suppose that's why some video references of underground tunneling shows a bird near the deepest end, as a gauge for sufficient oxygen? (The Simpsons episode where Bart faked and eventually ended up in the bottom of a well comes to mind).

- Water won't sink into the center because it's so far down to reach, and the enormous weight of the bodies of water will tightly pack the sand and soil beneath it, causing a natural "bowl" to contain it. Try lifting a bottle of water from the refilling station, the big ones used in offices, then think how heavy the ocean will be. Besides, there's that whole "Water Cycle" thing going for it, and on land, tree roots help keep the water stay reachable.

- The "entrances" being located at the poles is a simple workaround because it realy is hard to navigate the place, thus hard to disprove. I'm actually not sure if the poles actually extend to the crust, since a majority of the ice there are just floating.

- In the events that there is life way below the surface, they'd have adapted to the environment; remember, some bacteria can survive extremely high heat for certain amounts of time. And no, Lizard People from the center of the Earth don't speak English: they use Conyo-Taglish.

And who's to say we can recognize "life" in that environment, based on our definition of it? I think there is life in the far reaches of space, but they look nothing like us bipeds. We hear the term Carbon-based Life-Form here and there, and if we look at the ration of elements on earth and those believed to be present in our nearest neighboring planet, maybe life there is based on a different element to be able to survive on their environment?

Well this has gone on longer than I expected, time to stop for now :P

-Newton's (that's sir isaac, not fig) shell teorem mathematically implies a gravitational force of zero everywhere inside a spherically symmetric hollow shell of matter, regardless of the shell's thickness, and ignoring other masses inside or outside the shell. Thus, according to the shell theorem and contrary to popular belief, people on the inside of a putative hollow earth would not experience an outward pull and could not stand on the inner surface; rather, they would experience weightlessness (with some slight residual gravity arising from the fact that the Earth does not have a perfectly symmetrical spherical shape, and from tidal forces due to masses such as the Moon which do not form part of the spherical shell). The centrifugal force from the Earth's rotation would pull a person outwards, but even at the equator this force exerts only 0.3% of ordinary Earth gravity. (thanks to wikipedia)

-as you said, the force spread out over a wide area, like the bed of nails trick, will conceivably spare a hollow object from collapse, but for an accurate representation take a lightbulb (to represent earth), fire a bullet (representing a comet or a meteor) at it. make it a small calibre bullet like a .22 or even a .177. what do you think will happen when stationary hollow object meets rapidly moving solid object with a concentrated impact area? another good example is what happened to the protective shell around a large diamond on display at london's millenium dome. the engineers said it would take half an hour to drill through it, even though it was made thinly. they also said it would stand up to a 15 pound sledge hammer with no problems. thieves took less than 3 seconds to punch a hole through it using a nail gun (high speed, concentrated force). it was caught on video. very embarrassed engineers.

-the earth isn't an egg. the planet's rate of spin is determined by other factors, like gravity. again, refer back to newton's shell theorem.

-theories are disproved all the time, yet nothing collapses. when a theory is disproved it's abandoned and forgotten about. wackadoodles and cranks cling to them, serious scientists move on. examples of disproved theories: geocentric universe, spontaneous generation of life, and hollow earth.

-spelunkers come to mind, and so do miners, because the wackadoodles who spew all sorts of crap about this say that there are entrances all over the planet, not just at the poles, and that some of them are pretty shallow and used by the underground creatures to...well, your guess is as good as mine. by the way, close enough on the bird in tunnel. they actually used canaries to detect the presence of poisonous gasses in coal mines. when bird drops dead, everybody f#&ks off to the surface. nowadays there are more efficient ways to detect gas. the police have a song about this, "canary in a coal mine".

-i won't address water in detail other than to say that the bottom of the ocean isn't all sand and soil. the bottom of the ocean isn't as neat and tidy as the bottom of a bowl either. there are trenches and fissures all over the ocean floor that go down deeper than can be recorded at the moment, yet the water doesn't disappear underground. also, the "water cycle" is a process that happens on the surface of the planet. also, tree roots do help hold a lot of the water back, but that's still surface water. what about water tables? they range from a few feet to several metres down, they haven't been drained away to the hollow earth.

-yes, certain bacteria can live at extremes of temperature, but the life forms that live in the "centre of the earth" fall into two categories (according to the woo woos: highly advanced, or highly backward. both types bi-pedal, human in one instance, humanoid in the other. also, the wackadoodles who propagate this also claim that the temperature is constant and very comfortable. warm enough for the females to be scantily clad, which is always a good thing.

-geodetics, the scientific discipline that deals with the measurement and representation of the earth, its gravitational field and geodynamic phenomena (polar motion, earth tides, and crustal motion) in three-dimensional time varying space, has shown that there is no such thing as a hollow earth.

-i enjoyed verne and burroughs as a child, i still enjoy them now. i don't make their fiction to be more than what they are, great adventure stories.

Aside from the Standard English and Filipino Subjects that you took, were there any other foreign languages you learned from school?

For me, unfortunately none, the schools that i went to didn't include any other Language Subjects aside from those mentioned :( Though it is my dream to learn Japanese, Spanish or Mandarin :)

studied spanish and nihonggo in high school.

if you have seen the movie "the core" it's like that, and thank god for that, because if core cools down (god forbid) it will become rock solid, we would lose our magnetic poles thus losing protection from the sun's radiation. the same thing happened to mars and look at it now.

Were you absent or asleep during science class, and are trying to make up for it by getting your science lessons from inane hollywood movies?

for a mass as big as earth's, solid/liquid/plastic behavior hardly have any difference. and it's nearly impossible to have a gas- or liquid-filled cavity more than 2 miles down. the cavity will be "sealed" and whatever gas or liquid would be assimilated into the rock.

the deepest diggings by man are in the south african gold mines -- 2 miles down. you excavate what seems to be hard, solid virgin rock. then, after a few days, the tunnel explodes and caves in. this is called rock burst. it's the earth's way of healing whatever "wounds" foolish men inflict on the earth that deep.

belisarius

Geologist

PRC license # 1040

i don't really think this belongs in the science and technology section. occult and supernatural would be a better location. it's a wackadoodle topic believed by woo-woos who read horoscopes, get reiki treatment, think george bush planned 9/11, believe psychics can really communicate with the dead, while drinking their decaffeinated soy milk lattes in recycled paper cups, while dreaming of the day elvis and tupac come back from whatever planet they're hiding on to help the world stop the nazis who survived world war two because they built a secret military base in antartica.

This simply just cracked me up. :lol:

As for the theory, I agree with hellspawn.

If the earth is indeed hallow, the planet should have been destroyed the moment that meteor hit and wiped out the dinosaurs. Regardless of the "engineering marvels", a hollow mass even with a thick crust will not hold-up against a solid mass directing so much energy into a single focal point. There's no way to redisrect all that energy except to colapse (or implode?). Unless the earth went up and bounced it off......