Mac Users Of Mtc (apple: Go Ahead, Take A Bite!)

1. You are welcome.

2. 10.6 will not outwardly have any new features relative to 10.5. All the changes will be underneath. Critics will say it is a cleaned-up version of 10.5 which has undergone several patches--not as much as any Windows OS but we are still at 10.5.4. On the other hand, I look forward to it cleaned-up version or new version because I am curious about how much more faster and reliable it will be as Apple claims.

3. I know that a few new things inside will be:

• Support for Ms Exchange Server--admittedly a better system for pushing information to your devices.
  • True 64-bit memory support -- up to a theoretical 16 terabytes
  • A an OS with a higher level of awareness of multi-core processors with OS hooks that will allow software developers to write their programs to be not just multi-core aware but multi-core efficient.
  • Open CL, which is a language-based facility for software developers (note: I said developers, not programmers. Developers are people who design a program. Programmers are merely hired donkeys who are suppose to write the code to the specification of the designer) to be able to more directly address and control today's powerful GPUs.

My take on this? I'll try it out of course but I am even more excited by the kind of apps developers will come up with for an OS like this. A good OS will help spawn really impressive apps. That is the test.

nice,i'll wait for a legit release :)

thanks

I just learned the sad news that Ynzal is no longer an authorized Apple reseller. :(

Where else can I go for repairs and tech support? Thanks.

Yes, it is sad. They are long-time friends. But I am sure that this group will survive. They might even surprise us. Their tech support is still there. It is a source of official Apple parts that may now be difficult, but these guys have a good network on the internet and even parts that Apple only sells as part of a module or assembly can be sourced by them.

This is not a new situation to them. These guys are survivors.

boomouse,

Does that mean Ynzal can't service Apple units anymore?

They have a good crew that knows Mac hardware inside and out. Parts are also readily available on the internet. In fact, now that they do not have a obligations to Apple, they can now openly supply parts that you can only buy from Apple in whole, expensive modules. For example, an inverter card for an LCDis about P5k but apple does not sell it. You have to buy the entire LCD screen module.

Hi Boom ! What's the maximum memory that I can put on my mac book (intel based) ? 2 GB or 4 GB ? Does it required to run in pairs ? Because what i see on apple's website, they are sold in pairs. Thanks ! ^_^

Macbooks (and MBPs) have two SOdimm slots. They do not have to be populated in pairs. Those with the pre-Santa Rosa chips (2.16 GHz and below) can max at 3GB, after that it is 4GB.

• 2 weeks later...
Er, hope you guys don't mind a silly question.

I have a white macbook. Being white, medyo easily noticable and dirt niya. What's the best way (and products) to clean a white macbook (or for any matter, any white laptop?

Thanks

Get the iKlear Polish Kit. :)

To prevent the inside of your Macbook from getting dirty (and scratch-free) in the first place, you might want to consider getting a hand rest and keyboard cover and a trackpad film.

Question para sa mga MAC users:

Would it be possible if I purchased a pirated OS X installer and installed it on a desktop pc or a laptop that isn't made by apple?

The simple answer is: yes.

Doing it is not so simple. How hard? Answer me this:

Do you know the difference between a CMOS boot and EFI boot?

If you answer yes, then you should be able to do it after downloading the stuff you need.

If you answer no, forget it. Unless you are willing to do this as a learning experience. For every success story at installing OS x on non-Apple hardware, is an equal number of stories about unsuccessful attempts. And there are various degrees to success (or failure).

1. The OS will install but some services won't run.
  2. The OS won't recognize some of your hardware.
  3. Your OS runs and everything seems hunky dory but the darn thing won't update
  4. Everything works but is slow.
  5. Everything works but will only always need a boot DVD

Everything is dependent on how close your hardware is to Apple hardware. I would suggest an Intel mobo, NVIDIA graphics card, sata HDs, IDE optical drive, buffered DDR2 RAM, and an Intel CPU that is SSE3 compatible.

i just recently purchased a macbook...and i'm loving it...any suggestions on what programs i should add in my mac? :D ...

i was a little wary on using safari for my internet...but i'm actually loving it...i've added several programs and it's still running smoothly... :D love it love it love it :D ...

Welcome to the technology. It all depends on what you like doing on a computer really. I would suggest you get more familiar with what you already have. The iLife suite for instance iPhoto, and iMovie. The there is iWorks which gives you what I think are better replacements for MS Office. PAGES is a word processor and page layout program. Use it like a word processor when you are writing. Use it like a page layout program when you are designing something. NUMBERS is a spreadsheet that makes it easier to produce nice looking tables than Excel, and KEYNOTE is definitely the Rolls Royce of presentation programs--far better than Powerpoint.

If you are into photography, or keep a large number of digital pics (have seen yours in D2B) iPhoto is a simple way to organize them. If you want to get a bit more serious, get Aperture 2 which provides a high level of control over your pictures including HRD compositing (my current kick).

Definitely, get a video conversion program. The best in my opinion is VisualHub which can take video from your mobile phone, DVD, or most formats and convert these into other formats including the MP4/M4V which you can upload into an iPod through iTunes.

Let us know more about your preferences. I am sure other forum followers will have other ideas.

September 17, 2008 - 12:22 P.M.

MacBook Pros, what to expect, when

by Seth Weintraub

http://blogs.computerworld.com/macbook_pros_what_to_expect_when

MacBook Pros seem like a lock for the October 14th - ish time frame that Jon Gruber predicts. I had originally heard late September but things appear to have slid slightly. In any case, it has been a reaaalllllly long time since Apple upgraded the MacBook Pros. For those of you old enough remember the Titanium Powerbook, that was the last major design of the professional Apple Laptop.

At Macworld 2003, Apple released the current design of MacBook Pro (Powerbook at the time)...as you can see from the other products introduced/available at that time, it has been a long while - and not much has changed.

This five plus year design refresh is both a testament to the forward-looking design at the time and concurrantly an uncharacteristic lack of design innovation over the past five years by Apple. Look at the specs!

So what will transpire at the MacBook Pro event on October 14th - give or take a few weeks? What can we expect to see in the new designs?

• Totally new case design. Forged from one piece of aluminum taking "rounder, skinnier" design cues from the MacBook Air.
  • 16:9 LED screens. Out with the old, in with the new. The backlight lamp - CCFL with mercury (never mind that the whole world is moving to CCFL house lighting - baby steps I guess) are out. LEDs are in. 16:9 will bring new laptop sizes as well. Will a higher resolution 16 inch display take over as the standard and an 18.4 inch monster grace the high end? All signs point to yes. Apple could pull a stunner and release a 14.1 inch screen Pro model as well.
  • 3G Wireless technology. This is an area where Apple has been hopelessly trailing the industry. With gained experience from the iPhone internals, I'm hoping Apple gives us a 3G option with a strong antenna. That way people with three year old Dell's don't laugh at us when we have to pull out our un-sexy dongles. Want to one up the rest, Apple? WiMAX.
  • Trackpad. I've heard multi-touch glass. But glass's transparancy opens up more options. Will there be a screen under the glass? Will the option to put widgets like the calculator in that screen be given? Or is it just to use the capacitance qualities of glass over the current materials...we'll known a month
  • Keyboard. I'd expect something similar to the Air or the Apple Bluetooth. Nothing too revolutionary...but Apple might throw us for a loop with some Optimous keyboard OLEDs to go with that glass trackpad.
  • Video out. I'd expect HDMI to be an option (yes I know a DVI/audio-HDMI adapter is like $10) but as a nod to the HD crowd, Apple might include it next to the mini DVI port. I'd appreciate the gesture.
  • GPS. Woud be nice but there aren't any Mac apps that would take advantage of this. Yet.
  • Blu-Ray. This I am not so sure on...maybe as an option. Apple wants people buying HD movies through iTunes. I would like it as a backup and storage mechanism. If I need to give someone 50Gb of data, I'd like to have that option. Although, 32Gb USB keys are here so maybe this isn't that important. What if Apple forgoes the internal optical and offers the Air/External package?
  • SSD option. I have to believe Apple will offer this as an option. With Flash prices plummeting and Apple's iPod buying power they can make the math work. I would like to see a 128Gb premium option. Can't I have both SSD and HDD?
  • HD Camera. Would be cool. The current MacBook Pro camera can be taken way past the 640x480 size that is currently allowed but I'd love to see 1080p. Then for those of us on crazy bandwidth, iChatHD™. PhotobootHD™
  • Processors. It looks like the Centrino 2 processors will hit at the same GHz frequency but be slightly faster per clock cycle than the current Penryns. The 45nm chips are also more power efficient but have faster 1066MHz (vs. current 800MHz) front side bus support - which will work with faster RAM. As an aside, Centrino 2 can support 2GB of Turbo Memory, flash memory designed to speed up commonly used applications. It also has built-in support for high-definition video playback, HDMI, and DisplayPort.
  • RAM. It is cheap. Let me go to 8Gb for the street price of $160. Right.
  • Cost? Approximately the same price points. The MacBook Pro isn't an area where Apple is selling to the everyman...that is later this week.