Mac Users Of Mtc (apple: Go Ahead, Take A Bite!)

guys just a question do we really need those antivirus that came out for mac?

I never use any.

if yes thus it mean that we are now bein populated by viruses?

Maybe not so much virii but trojans and worms. You have to be an idiot and click on a link, or open an attachment of dubious origin.

if no then whats the use and why did they put it in the market?

There are always scaredy cat, paranoid mac users out there just waiting to be separated from their money

OSX vulnerable to malicious attacks again

Heap overflow leaves Apple naked

INSECURITY OUTFIT Intego has discovered a critical bug that leaves OSX vulnerable to malicious attacks.

Indeed, Apple's QuickTime player reportedly fails to properly process extended media streams. This shocking deficiency leads to nasty heap overflows that occur in QuickTime Player, iTunes and Mail.

The media streaming error also affects a number of Web browsers running on the platform, including Safari, Internet Explorer and Firefox.

The serious flaw has apparently left QuickTime vulnerable to infected media files designed to execute malicious code or crash a browser.

It should be noted that Club Cupertino issued its latest QuickTime band-aid only last week. In addition, OSX Leopard 10.5.5, released on 15 September, fixed a whopping 33 bugs, nine of which enabled remote code execution.

Is that laughter we hear from Redmond? µ

Question para sa mga MAC users:

Would it be possible if I purchased a pirated OS X installer and installed it on a desktop pc or a laptop that isn't made by apple?

you can purchased original or pirated OSX then install it on a PC or Laptop! just buy a "usb device" around $200 no need to hack or crack.. simple installation.

no need to answer the diff between cmos and efi...

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yes. Ever heard of this one:

'Citizen Journalist' Could Face Prison for Fake Jobs Story

By Betsy Schiffman

http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/10/cnn-citizen-jou.html

The gutsy (and stupid) "citizen journalist" who posted an erroneous story that said CEO Steve Jobs had a heart attack has the hallmarks of a short seller, and it's likely that he (or she) could face criminal charges and possibly prison time, according to one attorney.

"It's unlikely that anybody does this for kicks," says Scott Vernick, a partner at Fox Rothschild in Philadelphia. "People generally do this kind of thing because they have a position in the stock and they want to see it go one way or the other."

This isn't the first time Apple shares have been subject to violent swings due to product misinformation or speculation about Steve Jobs' health. Last year, bogus reports that the release of the iPhone and Leopard operating system would be delayed shaved $4 billion off Apple's market capitalization.

And earlier this year, shares of Apple took a beating on concerns that Jobs was battling cancer again after he appeared gaunt at a company event. Jobs declined to disclose the cause of his weight loss but denied it was cancer. When asked about the origins of the cancer rumors, Jobs told CNBC they were started by "hedge funds with a big short position on Apple."

In this case, the erroneous story, which appeared on CNN's iReport -- a citizen journalism site pitched as "unedited" and "unfiltered" -- prompted a sell-off of Apple shares, which dropped to $95.41 from $105.27, between 9:40 a.m. and 9:52 a.m. EST, before Apple denied the report and the stock recovered.

CNN says the story was removed after it was flagged by the community, and the user's account has been disabled, so at least that part of the system worked.

But since information seeded on the internet (to say nothing of one of the internet's premiere news brands) can seep into the markets virtually instantaneously, 12 minutes is an eternity during which time anybody with certain knowledge of the truth or falsity of the report could, you will pardon the expression, make a killing.

To boot, the subject of Jobs' health is exactly the sort of front-burner item that would tend to catch fire. Plus, Apple stock has been especially tormented lately, even given the downward spiral of the broad market, and has been trading at 52-week lows.

So giving a manipulator the benefit of less than perfect timing, it would have been possible to net a gain of about 10 percent. In about 10 minutes.

We don't know if the perpetrator had this particular plan in mind or was just having his jollies. But that is exactly how a person of larcenous intent would do it.

And assuming the Securities and Exchange Commission can prove the fake news writer published the post with the purpose of manipulating the stock, there would likely be criminal charges, says Vernick.

"These sorts of financial crimes or attempts to defraud investors carry criminal penalties and the possibility of imprisonment," says Vernick.

Similarly, in a 2000 case, 23-year-old community college student Mark Jakob published a fake press release suggesting Emulex would have to restate its earnings. The stock tanked and Jakob netted roughly $240,000 by shorting it. He got busted, though, and had to give up his gains and was sentenced to 44 months in prison.

Guest lustfortravel
Er, hope you guys don't mind a silly question.

I have a white macbook. Being white, medyo easily noticable and dirt niya. What's the best way (and products) to clean a white macbook (or for any matter, any white laptop?

Thanks

As boom is fond of telling me, just wipe it off with a damp ( not wet) cloth then follow it up with a dry cloth. dirt comes off easily anyway. i tried to use cleaners before but i'm sure they have chemicals in them so i'd rather not risk that getting in between my keys.

As boom is fond of telling me, just wipe it off with a damp ( not wet) cloth then follow it up with a dry cloth. dirt comes off easily anyway. i tried to use cleaners before but i'm sure they have chemicals in them so i'd rather not risk that getting in between my keys.

I guess you did not realize that had you not included the quote of jayar's post, you could have well been talking about something else… a true member in the MTC mould! But yes, a damp cloth would wipe clean almost anything. Remember too that some cleaners, especially petroleum based (they smell like turpentine or kerosene) will do an aggressive cleaning job on plastic but may make it more sensitive to the UV in sunlight.

Edited by boomouse

I dont know if this is the right thread but i just want to seek some help in repairing my imac g3 (quite old, i know). The CRT is having a display problem. Pictures are not crisp and whole resolution looks kinda snowy. So its very hard to read documents or web pages.

it has Mac OS 10.4 installed on it. firmware is updated (4.1.9). And i recently replaced the memory battery because of the problem. Since memory battery has been replaced, I have also done a pram reset as well. I also tried adjusting display settings but the problem still persist.

Can anyone help me on how to solve this problem (aside from replacing the unit)?

Your advise is very much appreciated.

thanks

it's probably a monitor problem.

could you give the specs of your imac g3? model/rev, memory, hd, etc. :)

I dont know if this is the right thread but i just want to seek some help in repairing my imac g3 (quite old, i know). The CRT is having a display problem. Pictures are not crisp and whole resolution looks kinda snowy. So its very hard to read documents or web pages.

it has Mac OS 10.4 installed on it. firmware is updated (4.1.9). And i recently replaced the memory battery because of the problem. Since memory battery has been replaced, I have also done a pram reset as well. I also tried adjusting display settings but the problem still persist.

Can anyone help me on how to solve this problem (aside from replacing the unit)?

Your advise is very much appreciated.

thanks

cant wait for the new Macbooks...announcement ata next tuesday...

i have my macbook(black) for 2 years now...no probs whatsoever...ummmm except they ahve to change the optical drive...i put a game that im not suppose to...and it messed it up or something...hehehe...and they change it for free :D

MAC newbie here. How can i download torrent files using mac? I tried searching for BitLord for MAC but they only have it available for windows.

Your choices are:

1. Bitrocket
  2. Transmission
  3. Vuze
  4. Azureus

Azureus gives you a lot of control if you know what you are doing. I prefer Transmission. It just works. To get any of these, just do a 'google.'

wow.. this new macbooks are mouth-watering.. :P

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1467/store.apple.com/Catalog/regional/amr/macbook/img/overview-hero.png

expect old macbook prices to be on-sale weeks from now :thumbsupsmiley:

post-188-1224036794.jpg

Yes, I was watching the announcement this morning at 1:30 a.m. The new Macbook with max RAM is even faster than the old Macbook Pro I think. And in a way I am glad Apple did not drop prices below $1k although they seemed to have dropped prices. Santa's credit card is in for a major whipping I think.

Macbook Specifications

Height: 0.95 inch (2.41 cm)

Width: 12.78 inches (32.5 cm)

Depth: 8.94 inches (22.7 cm)

Weight: 4.5 pounds (2.04 kg)1

Connections and Expansion

* MagSafe power port

* Gigabit Ethernet port

* Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)

* Mini DisplayPort

* Audio line in

* Audio line out

* Kensington lock slot

Communications

* Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi wireless networking2 (based on IEEE 802.11n draft specification); IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible

* Bluetooth Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)

* Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)

Audio

* Built-in stereo speakers

* Built-in omnidirectional microphone

* Combined optical digital input/analog line in (minijack)

* Combined optical digital output/analog line out (minijack)

* Supports Apple Stereo Headset with microphone

MacBook is designed with the following features to reduce its environmental impact:

* Highly recyclable aluminum and glass enclosure

* Mercury-free LED-backlit display

* Arsenic-free glass

* BFR-free internal components

* PVC-free internal cables

* Meets ENERGY STAR requirements

* EPEAT Gold rating

Display

* 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colors

* Supported resolutions: 1280 by 800 (native), 1152 by 720, 1024 by 640, and 800 by 500 pixels at 16:10 aspect ratio; 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio; 720 by 480 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio

Graphics and video support

* NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory3

* Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

* iSight Built-in iSight camera

* Mini DisplayPort

Video output options

DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter

VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter

Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter

Input

* Multi-Touch trackpad; supports two-finger scrolling, pinch, rotate, three-finger swipe, four-finger swipe, tap, double-tap, and drag capabilities

2.0GHz MacBook

* Built-in full-size keyboard with 78 (U.S.) or 79 (ISO) keys, including 12 function keys and 4 arrow keys (inverted "T" arrangement)

2.4GHz MacBook

* Built-in full-size illuminated keyboard with 78 (U.S.) or 79 (ISO) keys, including 12 function keys and 4 arrow keys (inverted "T" arrangement)

Processor and memory

* 2.0GHz or 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed

* 1066MHz frontside bus

* 2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 4GB

Storage

2.0GHz MacBook

* 160GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drive4

* Optional 250GB or 320GB 5400-rpm hard drive or 128GB solid-state drive4

2.4GHz MacBook

* 250GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drive4

* Optional 320GB 5400-rpm hard drive or 128GB solid-state drive4

Optical drive

8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Maximum write: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R; 4x DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW

Maximum read: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, and DVD+RW; 24x CD

Battery and power

* 45-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery

* 60W MagSafe Power Adapter with cable management system

* MagSafe power port

Edited by boomouse
They're apparently dropping FW support with these new macbooks...

Hmmm. Apparently so. And the new MBP has only one FW800 port now. You will need a FW400 to FW800 cable to use FW400 based devices.

How do you use Time Machine? Is it the same as system restore? I'm just learning how to use MAC. Thanks!

Not quite. System restore just remembers the state of your system at a particular time and makes it possible to go back to that. Time Machine will effectively backup several versions of your entire hard disk as you progressively put files in it. You can set the frequency of the backups too. You of course will need a separate hard disk (internal or external) that should have enough free space as the size of your work drive.

===========================

Microsoft says we pay an 'Apple Tax'

That's one way of putting it perhaps. Or how about calling it 'protection money' so that Windows isn't foisted on us? Can we also call it 'anti blue screen insurance'? Oh sure, OS X gets trashed too once in a while, in the hands of a real dodo but all you have to do is to pop in the system disk and reinstall the system. You don't have to wipe the entire hard disk and reinstall everything including apps and backups. Anyway, here's a piece about a Microsoft executive talking about an Apple tax:

Microsoft Exec Says Mac Users Pay an "Apple Tax"

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2008/10/15.7.shtml

by Bryan Chaffin, 12:35 PM EDT, October 15th, 2008

A Microsoft executive has begun pushing the line of attack that people who buy Macs are paying an "Apple tax," and that many just don't realize it. Brad Brooks, vice president of Windows Consumer Product Marketing, argued in an interview with CNet's Ina Fried that this supposed tax comes in the form of both choice and dollars.

Mr. Brooks' comments came in an interview that was ostensibly about Microsoft and Vista, though in the end it was dominated by discussion of Apple. Indeed, the "Apple tax" idea entered the discussion when Mr. Brooks was asked what PC makers should do in a time of economic challenge. Mr. Brooks answer? One sentence about Microsoft investing more resources with PC makers and three and a half paragraphs about, "understanding what is really involved with what we call the 'Apple tax'."

"There really is a tax around there for people that are evaluating their choices going into this holiday season and going forward," said Mr. Brooks. "There's a choice tax that we talked about, which is, hey, you want to buy a machine that's other than black, white, or silver, and if you want to get it in multiple different configurations or price points, you're going to be paying a tax if you go the Apple way."

He also argued that Mac users won't be able to get the rich application experience enjoyed by Windows users -- he cited Microsoft Outlook and games -- and that they'll have a "technology tax" (no HDMI, no Blu-ray, and no e-SATA external drives). Then there's the "upgrade tax," as only MacPros, which start at US$2,799, are upgradable.

When asked if Mac and Windows compatibility wasn't at an all-time high, Mr. Brooks argued that if you want Windows, "start with a machine that was built for the Windows experience." He also cut down his own company's Mac Business Unit's main product, Office for Mac, as being "stripped down."

Ms. Fried also pointed out that it appeared as if more and more people were willing to pay this so-called tax, and Mr. Brooks responded by asking if "customers really know what they're getting into?" The added costs of products like Parallels, Fusion, or even a standalone copy of Windows is, he argued, something these unwitting Switchers are being duped into buying, unaware of what they're facing.

Even when Ms. Fried tried to bring the question back to what Microsoft wanted its customers to understand about the value of Vista, Mr. Brooks dragged the conversation back to Apple. "There's also productivity value that you get on Windows Vista that you can't get on a Mac," he said.

The full interview is both lengthy and interesting, and completely Apple-centric, suggesting the platform wars may not be truly dead after all. The interview coincides with a series of ads Microsoft is running that also make Apple part of its conversation by asking if users if they're a PC, a direct response to Apple's "I'm a Mac" ads.

--------------

Some responses to this article:

application experience enjoyed by Windows users -- he cited Microsoft Outlook

A good example. I use Outlook at work and it is the worst, most unstable, most frustrating e-mail system I've ever used. I'd use GroupWise, LotusNotes, heck even a simple IMAP mail system or Gmail before I'd recommend Outlook. Outlook is nothing to brag about.

As far as other apps; MS is deeply frightened. not only are more and more users moving away from Windows, you are seeing lots of people dropping Office for OpenOffice, iWork, or other non MS solutions. MS has been providing bloated, resource heavy, hard to use apps for so long they don't know what to do when the public says Enough.

MS doesn't understand that people are sick of paying the MS Tax. Extra support costs, forced upgrades, and overpriced applications. Heck they PAY me to work on MS S*** and even I'm sick of it.

Microsoft taxes my patience and my time. As guest number one said in his second point, I'm glad they admitted they sold everyone at our University and inferior product. Time to change to iWork and Open Office.

As Barry Schwartz has researched and written about, "choice" isn't nearly as positive as people intuitively think it is. While it's true that the PC market offers a vast array of choices in price and quality, what that does is leave customers overwhelmed, confused, and ultimately, disappointed, as they are left wondering whether one of they would have been better served by one of the alternatives they did not choose. This is the premise of Schwartz's Paradox of Choice, and I'm sure we can all think back to an episode in our lives where we experienced this ourselves. Think about standing in a store, looking over dozens of similar items on the store shelf, before reluctantly giving in and picking up one. Did you leave confident you made the best choice? Probably not.

Apply that to laptops. Of those $600 laptops, which are crap and which are decent? Yes, there are some hardware options that aren't yet available, like a tablet (though an aftermarket option is available), but those aren't exactly flying off the shelves in Windows land, anyway.

In software, it's even worse. I don't want a ton of crappy applications that do the same basic thing, none doing it well. I want one or two applications that do it well. Look at the quality of Mac shareware versus Windows. Frankly, a lot of the Windows shareware is embarrassingly bad.

Besides, Microsoft is being disingenuous with their "choice" racket. Microsoft isn't really interested in users having a choice of, for instance, office suites or operating systems (unless you count their 31 flavors of Vista).

So, choice is nice, to an extent, and the Mac market might benefit from some more. Compared to the wasteland that is the Windows market, I'll take my limited, but quality and reasonably priced, Mac market.

--if you want Windows, "start with a machine that was built for the Windows experience."--

So the fact that every bench test that we've seen shows that Vista actually performs better on Apple hardware than most PC's makes it an undesirable platform for Microsoft products? Let's see...1000's of possible drivers that need to be written to accommodate every possible hardware vendor used by PC manufacturers, or the Bootcamp drivers that come installed on Leopard? Seems to me that the machine best built for Windows is a Mac!! I have Office for Windows on my XP partition (which I plan to re-partition and eliminate soon). Haven't used it once. I use iWork for everything. Some Taxes are worth paying!

Want to talk about relative costs of computer systems?

How about the health care costs from stress related disorders that result when working on windblows crap?

Edited by boomouse