Mac Users Of Mtc (apple: Go Ahead, Take A Bite!)

Hi, question for mr. boomouse (again)

I'm planning to upgrade the RAM and HD of my Macbook. Advisable ba to just buy my own RAM and HD then bring it to powermac and have them change it for me? I dont want to do it myself bec I have no idea what Im doing. They are charging me 4500 (ata) for the RAM 1 GB and 8500 for the HD (160GB). Are Mac HDs and RAMs the same as PCs?

Once you run Bootcamp assistant, everything is intuitive.

Most Apple software ARE intuitive. Not to annoy or anything, you just repeated what I said.

Which just reinforces the fact that membership is closed. You need an existing member who would be willing to risk his membership by extentding an invitation to someone else. If the invited new member does not follow the rules he get sanctioned as well although this is a bit ironic given that the majority of the activities in that site is about not following rules—and laws.

No. Membership is still open, but by invitation ONLY. It's way different from being totally closed, meaning no member invites as well, meaning, if I am a member, I have the discretion to CHOOSE who to give the invites to.

Edited by chunkyhunk
Another question for Sir Boo, I do have photos compiled and music infused to I made from Windows Photostory which is a .WMV file. I guess I need a complete file converter for my mac please give me advise regarding this. tnx

I know this is for boom, but I was itching. Anyways, you can get the Windows Media player for Mac and Flip4Mac at this link.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/vide...rformacosx.html

Once you install these, you can play.wmv files even with Quicktime.

last night i installed office 2008 sp1 update, after nun all office application wont launch, every time i launch an application yung setup assistant bumubukas, i tried to restart may mac ganun pa din, what i did is reinstall office 2008 and didn't bother to update, bad trip na microsoft yan

As a rule, you should be able to change RAM yourself as that invovlves removing the battery, unscrewingthe RAM access panel, and either removing and replacing what is inthere or installing what you have. But if you don't even know what RAM to buy, You are better off having it done for you.

Hard disks are a different story. There are too many screws to deal with to get to the HD. This is a job best left to the pros.

As for RAM prices, they are sticking it to you. The best way is to shop online. You will need a credit card or paypal account. Go to Otherworldcomputing (OWC) or ramjet.com. 1 GB ram for Macbook is under $50.

got it. thanks!

just want to ask..

what mac can you recommend?

my brother is freaking me out by bugging me to ask what mac is best nowadays..

Depends on what you're gonna use it for. If you simply need a robust-enough replacement for a PC, a Mac Mini is alright, since you can already use it as a design/editing workstation. For mobility, A Macbook or MacBook Pro (The MacAir, although pretty, seems like a very souped-up PDA). But if you plan to use it for playing the latest games to high-level editing stuff, get an iMac.

Of course, if you have moolah, why not get a Mac Pro, with all the bells and whistles?

At any rate, potato/potatoe…

Exactly.

Tnx Sir chunky... :thumbsupsmiley:

You're welcome.

As a rule, you should be able to change RAM yourself as that invovlves removing the battery, unscrewingthe RAM access panel, and either removing and replacing what is inthere or installing what you have. But if you don't even know what RAM to buy, You are better off having it done for you.

Hard disks are a different story. There are too many screws to deal with to get to the HD. This is a job best left to the pros.

As for RAM prices, they are sticking it to you. The best way is to shop online. You will need a credit card or paypal account. Go to Otherworldcomputing (OWC) or ramjet.com. 1 GB ram for Macbook is under $50.

Just want to share... I took Boomouse's advice and checked out the websites he recommended... Mas mura nga... I then checked some apple forums and found out that I can actually use any RAM for laptops that are available in PC stores here in Manila. So, I got 2 pcs of 1gb RAMs for my Macbook, took them home and replaced them myself. The instructions on how to replace RAM (and HD) are in Apple's website. Pretty easy, I was able to do it in about 15 mins. Total cost is less than P2500. So my 2Ghz Macbook now has 2Gb of RAM!! Feeling ko parang bago na uli Mac ko.

Upgrade sa PowerMac for 1pc 1 Gb RAm = P4500, so 2 pcs = P9000

Thanks for the tip Boomouse!

newb question here .. i had to restart my MAC using PRAM ... while i know how to do it can somebody explain to me what the functions behind the PRAM start .. just trying to understand

Zapping or resetting the PRAM (Parameter RAM) is done when your Mac's PRAM becomes corrupted. Your PRAM holds your Power Management Settings, your System info (like how many devices are connected, actual RAM, VRAM settings, etc.) and other information. This, over time gets corrupted because of it's nature being written and overwritten each time you start up or shut down, or when you force an action to quit, like emptying the trash or copying a file that seems forever. When your Mac is displaying less than the actual RAM you have, or you keep getting that dull gray screen when you restart, or your drives are not mounting properly, etc, your Mac's PRAM may need some zapping.

This is similar to resetting your TV to its factory setting (color, brightness, etc).

Apple Center in GB will soon release Aperture 2. They also invited an Aperture expert to conduct seminar this June. I don't work for Apple Center, one of the managers there just invited me. If anybody is interested, please PM me.

Aperture 2 will be available in Apple Center GB mga June 21 at P12,000 yata.