Mac Users Of Mtc (apple: Go Ahead, Take A Bite!)

options you can do:

1. try to change the channel. eg. channel 6.

2. do not use 802.11 N or Pre N. Stick with 802.11 B or G. Pre N and N, USUALLY, interferes with some or most wireless devices like phones (not mobile phones) and the likes.

3. as boomouse said, use 2.4GHz (used by A, B, G) and NOT 5GHz (mostly used by Pre N and N).

4. and don't use mix technology. stick with just one. eg. if your wireless card supports 802.11G, your airport should stick with stick with G. that would give you better throughput, too.

5. check the Transmit Power of your airport (if it is available as an option). set it to 100% in case it's set to a lower power. normally, the wireless transmitter operates at 100% power. in some circumstances, however, there might be a need to isolate specific frequencies to a smaller area. by reducing the power of the radio, you can prevent transmissions from reaching beyond your corporate/home office or designated wireless area.

hello guys,

i have some trouble with my old imac (g4 17-inch flat panel/lcd):

• PPC 800mhz

• OS X 10.4.11

• 512mb memory

• NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 32 MB

the problem just surfaced today when i accidentally clicked on something and all of sudden my desktop expanded making everything (icons) out of the monitor/screen--and i have to navigate awkwardly given the big threshold.

now, i can't get my imac's widescreen tft panel to work with its native resolution of 1440x900... although it says in the system preferences (display control panel) that it is on 1440x900. even when i run systems info it is @ 1440x900. but i guess the current size fits more than a 20-inch display.

is there a way i can have the display back to its default? really need some help.

thanks. :)

it won't matter that much...depends on which apps you're using

graphics intensive apps tend to speed up with better graphics cards...

the macbook has the x3100 graphics card..its the most basic card available...i just checked with autodest-autocad 2007 minimum specs..this x3100 isn't in the list

you can't use it for big cad files..or maya or 3dsmax...its really a shame..but

if you're using photoshop..it won't be so problematic...unless you use their 3d functions..which are included in photoshop extended

try getting a larger memory..if available

Guest lustfortravel

hi boom! read this article today. any comments?

MacBook Air stumps TSA agents, owner misses flight

Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:01AM EDT

The suspiciously thin, port-free laptop sends airport security into a tizzy, until cooler heads prevail. Maybe it's time for some tech briefings at the TSA, no?

On his blog, programmer Michael Nygard (by way of the Unofficial Apple Weblog) writes that during a recent trip through the airport, his solid-state MacBook Air stopped TSA agents—puzzled by its lack of rear-facing ports or a standard hard drive—in their tracks.

Nygard said the agents put him and his suspicious "device" in a holding cubicle as security staffers huddled nearby, looking at X-ray printouts of the sinister-looking Air and scratching their heads.

A younger TSA agent—who, apparently, was aware of Apple's newest laptop—tried explaining to the group that the Air uses solid-state memory in place of a traditional hard drive. The senior staffer, however, was still reluctant to let it go: "New products on the market? They haven't been TSA approved. Probably shouldn't be permitted," Nygard writes.

Finally, after booting up the Air and running a program, the agents let Nygard go, he said—but only after he'd missed his flight.

I've been hearing stories like these all too often, which leads to the question: how exactly are TSA agents being trained, anyway? How about, I dunno, some regular briefings on the latest gadgets that might be making their way through security checkpoints? And while TSA agents are wasting time fussing with laptops, undercover investigators with bomb parts in their bags have been sailing though security checkpoints.

I use the pc and the MAC. For the MAC, there is no comparison to the firewire when it comes to speed and data transfer. I use MAC mainly for photo and video editing, through finalcut pro program for video and iphoto and photoshop for photo.

I use up to 1200 gig of external memory for my MAC. There is no substitute for MAC when it comes to graphic programs, even if it is pricy.

Gone in 2 Minutes: Mac Gets Hacked First in Contest

A MacBook Air goes down first at the CanSecWest security conference's hacking contest.

Robert McMillan, IDG News Service

Thursday, March 27, 2008 1:36 PM PDT

It may be the quickest $10,000 Charlie Miller ever earned.

He took the first of three laptop computers -- and a $10,000 cash prize -- Thursday after breaking into a MacBook Air at the CanSecWest security conference's PWN 2 OWN hacking contest.

Show organizers offered a Sony Vaio, Fujitsu U810 and the MacBook as prizes, saying that they could be won by anybody at the show who could find a way to hack into each of them and read the contents of a file on the system, using a previously undisclosed "0day" attack.

Nobody was able to hack into the systems on the first day of the contest when contestants were only allowed to attack the computers over the network, but on Thursday the rules were relaxed so that attackers could direct contest organizers using the computers to do things like visit Web sites or open e-mail messages.

Miller, best known as one of the researchers who first hacked Apple's iPhone last year, didn't take much time. Within 2 minutes, he directed the contest's organizers to visit a Web site that contained his exploit code, which then allowed him to seize control of the computer, as about 20 onlookers cheered him on.

He was the first contestant to attempt an attack on any of the systems.

Miller was quickly given a nondisclosure agreement to sign and he's not allowed to discuss particulars of his bug until the contest's sponsor, TippingPoint, can notify the vendor.

Contest rules state that Miller could only take advantage of software that was preinstalled on the Mac, so the flaw he exploited must have been accessible, or possibly inside, Apple's Safari browser.

Last year's contest winner, Dino Dai Zovi, exploited a vulnerability in QuickTime to take home the prize.

Dai Zovi, who congratulated Miller after his hack, didn't participate in this year's contest, saying it was time for someone else to win.