Mac Users Of Mtc (apple: Go Ahead, Take A Bite!)

@sehara

i missed the apostrophe

Surely intellectuals' desires are more complex than the ignorant...

noun modifiers

since you have that..now its called a noun phrase

ano pa ba...

Well i don't really understand the fickleness with grammar in the forum, IMHO as long as we understand each other and know what the other party meant ok na yun. :thumbsupsmiley:

Steve Wozniak blasts the Iphone, MacBook air, and Apple TV

Woz all the fuss about?

By Sylvie Barak: Monday, 03 March 2008, 9:33 AM

STEVE WOZNIAK, co founder of Apple, has lashed out at smartphones (including the Iphone), the Macbook Air and Apple TV at the Broadband and Beyond conference in Sydney this morning.

Wozniak blamed developers for prioritising technology over people and noted how disappointed he was by Apple's decision to introduce the Iphone without 3G, declaring "To tell you the truth, I was disappointed...half the phones in the AT &T store were 3G already."

Wozniak, who created the Apple I and Apple II computers in the mid-1970s and left the company in the late 1980's, is still good friends with Jobs, but has been known to freely offer his sometimes harsh, but honest opinions. Although no longer a central figure at Apple, having moved on to various other projects, Wozniak is still a shareholder and employee of the company.

Wozniak's main gripe against the iPhone is that it only supports EDGE and standard 2G networks, which may offer speeds above GPRS networks but aren't quite as fast as 3G, which are capable of providing a downlink in hundreds of Kbps.

Steve Jobs has previously noted that the decision to put out an Iphone without 3G connectivity was based on problems with battery life, but this claim is one that Wozniak rejects. "I get as much life on my 3G phones as I get on my non-3G phones," he said.

He added, "When things are going too slowly, I'll get frustrated and I'll do it on my laptop later". Wozniak admitted to also carrying around a Motorola Razr for taking calls and browsing the web, highlighting yet another of the Iphone's pitfalls. "For voice, I still want another phone," he said.

Wozniak did have one good thing to say about the Apple handset, complimenting it on its user friendly Web interface. Claiming to have experimented on multiple rival smartphones, he reckoned that none even came close to the Iphone from the user interface point of view. He also had some stern criticism for Iphone's competitors on the subject, "I'm learning to use their menus, it's awkward. I feel like a slave and less important than the technology" Wozniak grumbled.

But Wozniak's rant, at a press conference following his keynote speech at the Broadband and Beyond Conference, didn't end with Iphone. Wozniak had plenty of criticism for the MacBook Air, agreeing with critics that the lack of a DVD drive, missing Ethernet networking port, relatively small 80GB hard drive and the inability to swap the battery, were just too irritating. Wozniak admitted that he liked to burn DVDs for his mates and watch battery sapping films on his laptop during long flights, and summed up his thoughts on the MacBook air as, " I don't think it's going to be a hit".

Apple TV didn't emerge unscathed either. Wozniak criticised both the quality of YouTube videos played on it and the strict 24-hour time limit on rentals, noting, "My life is way too global and unpredictable for that [24-hour time limit] - I'll get interrupted by something and I won't finish it; I don't want to have to pay again". µ

wozniak is just talk...i hope he innovates rather than just bash apple...

...i think apple is doing a good job...even though the iphone didn't have 3g its still one heck of a portable...

...macbook air though was just air....i like the size though...too bad they didn't improve the battery life..thats the portable is all about...

...the apple tv is just not a good product...who's got one?

and oh yeah apple stock during dec was 200 now its only 125..hehheheh

wow haba ng binackread ko! but I learned a lot.

I'm planning to shift to mac since it provides better features suited for my work. I decided to try an old Powerbook G4 na nakatambak sa lab namin. So far I'm impressed kahit na Tiger lang ang OS. Had a bit of a problem lang installing X11 and a plotting software that I use. Took me a day to solve the problem. Other than that, everything worked perfectly. I compared it with my old Sony Vaio laptop running on P4.

Pros: Built-in multimonitor capability, unix terminal (no need for cygwin unlike in XP), can easily toggle between languages (here in Japan, separate ang software for English and Japanese XP), relatively quiet

Cons: Using Fugu is more complicated than WinSCP. Medyo nakakagulat pag malamig yung aluminum surface. Sometimes ang daming window na nakaopen sabay sabay, natatabunan yung iba. Kailangan ko pang imove around mga window para mahanap (this was dome on single monitor mode. not a problem pag multimonitor mode). Other things will eventually become negligible after I get used to a Mac.

Good thing I was able to test a Mac before actually purchasing...so now the question is...should I get a MacBook or Mac Mini?

Hmmmmm.....

Edited by shadowspy

thanks boomouse! yesterday I was able to try out Spaces on a Macbook on display in one of the computer stores here and it solves the problem of having too many windows open. Expose also partially solves the problem.

actually the line of work I have is not graphically intensive but processor and memory intensive. In addition, portability is also an issue that's why I was opting for a Macbook or Mac Mini. Also I already have a workstation setup (19 inch monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse, the works) which fortunately enough works on Mac (even if the keyboard and mouse was from Microsoft).

so far I'm leaning more towards Macbook. Yung white lang pero 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo with 4 GB RAM...pero 73k pesos....Mac Mini is more affordable.

Decisions...decisions...decisions...

Edited by shadowspy

yeah the mac mini is definitely much cheaper...costs only 43k pesos but has lower specs (2 GHz processor, 2 GB RAM). hmmmm...

anyone here knows a Mac equivalent for WinSCP? I tried Fugu but it doesn't fit my tasks. A better alternative is Coda but it's free for 14 days only. License costs $70 plus it still has some quirks (timestamp of files can't be immediately seen. must use Get Info first). thanks for your help.

Edited by shadowspy
for the record i do sell around 5-10 units of macbook and macbook pro a month..... maraming mac user na nag sabi na maraming kulang sa macbook air napakamahal pa....

kia pride? BMW? duh???

isa ka na nga sa mayabang na user...

by the way even asus EEE pag nasa starbucks ako kasabay ang may mac mas marami nagtatanong sakin at lumalapit kung san ko nabili... pero sinasabi ko sa kanila ako nagbebenta for 18K. ^_^

dude same processor, same chipset kahit sa OS lang nagkaiba! O.S. lang nagkaiba...

tara meet tayo pakita ko sayo macbook pro ko at macbook ko pati mga binebenta ko...

by the way.... ok sakin kung gagamitin mo yung mac sa photo and video editing...

and by the way! you can USE MAC LEOPARD OS on a core2duo PC or laptop! way cheaper than your mac.... pero syempre di ko sinasabi sa client yun. hehehehhe.

OS at itsura lang pinagkaiba nyan hindi specs....

saka ingat din kayo may mga hacker narin sa mac... magugulat nalang kayo napalitan na name nung hardrive nyo...

di ko sinisiraan ang mac... ang akin lang e pag bibili ka ng mac wag magyayabang kung pang internet at pang show off mo lang... bilib ako sa mga photographer, videographer, music engineer at mga it professional na nagagamit yung mac on full potential... ^_^

iba kasi ang FANBOI sa mac user alone...

Uy! Gusto ko yang sinasabi mo. Leopard OS sa PC. turo mo naman pleeease. I have an old 1st gen iMac G5 and 2 PC's. What I truly hate talaga sa PC is not the hardware, dahil wala naman talaga problema. I use all of my machines for design and layout using photoshop. The Windows OS is so palpak. parang habang ginagamit mo lalong bumabagal, so you always have to reformat the hard drive lalo na pag na hijack na. Yun nga ang hinahanap ko sana may OS X na tatakbo sa PC. I'm willing to pay naman. Di ko pa kasi kaya magupgrade sa Macbook, kaya gamit na gamit pa rin si iMac at si Centrino. Dun sa mga show off na sa totoo lang e mga bobo sa computer, e bad yan. Peace! :upside: Let me add pala, Buy a macbook air if you have lots of cash to spare for a second laptop. yun lang. sa mga mac-users, makinig din kayo lagi sa podcast ni leo laporte. marami kayo matutuhan, para hindi kayo basta bili ng bili ng gadgets. baka mabili niyo e obsolete agad. dagdag na electronic waste yan.

Yes, by my estimation you are looking at spending about P25k to P30k more for a Macbook-based solution by just giving away some portability convenience. I would go witht he Mini and just use the money to buy the RAM and storage. Microsoft keyboards and mice are good products. I would not worry about it.

I have not seen any stocks of Time Capsule in Manila yet. It also got my attention when Apple announced that it had a 'server-grade' hard disk inside but according to some groups that have looked at the hardware, 'server-grade' may be a term that is used with a bit of a stretch.

I too am an Airport Extreme user, having used it to replace a dLink wireless router but I have not been having any problems with it. Perhaps it is because I just use it as an access point and not as a router. Routing tasks at home are handled by a Cisco 2622 hand-me-down unit from my business. I think that if the Airport would bog down it will do so while doing the routing and the DHCP and the NAT. Perhaps if you give more detail about what problems you have been getting…

I did some backreading. and i'm impressed with sir boomouse technical know how :thumbsupsmiley: , baka matulungan mo rin ako sir. I recently purchased the new adobe creative suite cs3 web edition and plan to install it to my existing Power iMac G5. May nakainstall dito na adobe creative suite cs2. Yung dating config ng iMac g5 ko before i upgraded it with a 160 gb hard drive

may nakakabit na creative suite cs, then i installed a new creative suite2, nagkagulo ang mga programs ko. hindi ma-access ng photoshop cs2 yung font directory. so i ended up still using the old cs versions. pinagtiyagaan ko for a year na ganon, after that i upgraded the 80 gig hard drive to a 160 gig. and the guys at senco link did a fresh install of OS X tiger and adobe cs2. Gusto ko iinstall tong adobe cs3, takot ako na i might mess up the system again. thanks :rolleyes:

First, your font access problem sounds like it is a 'permissions-related' issue. How many user accounts in the computer? Usually, this problem happens if one app is installed under one account and another app in a different account. Please details what you mean when you say fonts cannot be accessed. You mean the fonts do not appear in the menu even when you know they are there? You may have duplicate fonts. Check also if there are fonts in the application folder. You should only have fonts in the library although apps from Adobe could and would access fonts it can see in the application folder too--an Adobe trait from the 1980s. Your fonts should only be in /user/library/fonts. Check also that in the hard disk migration process that you do not have more than one library folder and/or more than one fonts folder. Do a Spotlight search of the adobe fonts you are having problems with and check if there is more than one instance in your HD.

As for your CS3, is it the universal binary version that is PPC and Intel?

-------------------------

On another note, I saw the Macbook Air in the Greenbelt Applecenter. The price is almost P95,000.00. It is really magnificanet to look at in its thinness and yet feels solid to carry around. The price tag is just a shade under what I just paid for an MBP though so I had to pause and think about it--and scrambled to get out the place. Baka bigla akong manggigil…

Definitely, this is one laptop designed for a particular kind of user. It is one hell of a look-at-me device and an effective way of demonstrating ascendancy over others. Hindi na utility and functionality pinaguusapan dito. Image, street cred, and reputation are the factors that are in play when considering the purchase of this computer.

thanks for the advice sir, will do and post my feedback, the adobe cs3 i got is the universal version. there is only one user account in my computer. i was thinking of uninstalling the whole creative suite cs2, kaya lang mawawala yung adobe in-design, which i'm always using, ( di ako marunong mag-illustrator , he he he). tama ka rin sa comments mo sa macbook air, for that price tag it is definitely for a particular user. for me, looking for more functionality i would go for the new iMac or a Macbook. mukahang mas marami akong magagawa dun. maybe get mine at best buy much cheaper, pasabay na lang sa uuwi dito sa pinas'.

thanks again :thumbsupsmiley:

I have not seen any stocks of Time Capsule in Manila yet. It also got my attention when Apple announced that it had a 'server-grade' hard disk inside but according to some groups that have looked at the hardware, 'server-grade' may be a term that is used with a bit of a stretch.

I too am an Airport Extreme user, having used it to replace a dLink wireless router but I have not been having any problems with it. Perhaps it is because I just use it as an access point and not as a router. Routing tasks at home are handled by a Cisco 2622 hand-me-down unit from my business. I think that if the Airport would bog down it will do so while doing the routing and the DHCP and the NAT. Perhaps if you give more detail about what problems you have been getting…

not in manila yet probably but it's now available in cebu, davao and cagayan de oro. my airport extreme doesn't bog down just that it's signal is really line-of-sight, i can't get it thru 2 walls which an ordinary dlink access point easily penetrated. i use it just the same, not thru those walls though as i had hoped.

as for timecapsule, it's the "server-grade" harddisk that interests me also but i was hoping it will have an improvement on signal strength from the airport extreme and allow me to avoid heeding a friend's advice to just tear down those bloody walls. :lol: