Mac Users Of Mtc (apple: Go Ahead, Take A Bite!)

VMware Fusion is excellent for use in a Mac. Using the unity function helps in making the windows programs feel as though they are part of OSX. Quite interesting to hear that the i7 from the MBP 15" is only a dual core. That would be false advertising on Apple's part since they do claim it is a quad-core on their website.

VMware Fusion is excellent for use in a Mac. Using the unity function helps in making the windows programs feel as though they are part of OSX. Quite interesting to hear that the i7 from the MBP 15" is only a dual core. That would be false advertising on Apple's part since they do claim it is a quad-core on their website.

There is a dual core and quad core i7 available.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm.... my one year old macbook's internal speakers are conking out on me (or rather, it's the line-in socket that's acting up). In any case, the option to select the internal speakers as the output disappears.

I thought they made these things to last...

If the internal speakers are conking out, then there is no argument that you have a quality issue.

But if you are saying that the line-in socket is the source of the flaky performance, than can also be caused by tilting the thing on its side while you have something inserted in the audio in port so that the weight of the entire laptop is placed on that connector/socket. You would definitely break it that way as the thing was never designed to carry that kind of weight in that way. I have seen that happen--usually in Macbooks used by teenagers.

Well thank goodness I'm not a teenager. But I can safely say that I haven't been tilting the darn thing while an audio plug was inserted. I only use the audio jack when I'm watching movies (connected to an external speaker) and the machine is laid out flat on a table.

So... it's supposed to be a portable gadget, but it's not designed to take on some usage strains from something that it would most likely experience in its lifetime. I would say that's odd. For a desktop machine I would accept that. But for a laptop? Hmmm.

Makisali nga...

? one: do you have 2 individual external drives? If so, OS X can create a mirrored raid set for you out of the two drives. But you have to keep them both connected to your MBP when using. It would be easier if you have one external enclosure with two drives in it.

? two: you have to convert them to HFS. Unless the drives are in FAT32 which the Mac can read/write. If these are the drives you want to use as a raid set, then the only option is to reformat.

thanks...

im almost near buying a macbook pro, kaunting ipon na lang :)

regarding the one external enclosure with two drives in it, considering the size of the enclosure, would it still be portable?

as to HFS, my toshiba 1TB drives are NTFS, so i have to back up first my files? then reformat to HFS? then copy them all back?

i so newbie to the macworld, please bear with me guys. im just making preparations... i have a lot of client photos i need to protect so i am paranoid with my shift.

Well thank goodness I'm not a teenager. But I can safely say that I haven't been tilting the darn thing while an audio plug was inserted. I only use the audio jack when I'm watching movies (connected to an external speaker) and the machine is laid out flat on a table.

So... it's supposed to be a portable gadget, but it's not designed to take on some usage strains from something that it would most likely experience in its lifetime. I would say that's odd. For a desktop machine I would accept that. But for a laptop? Hmmm.

Pivoting a Macbook on an audio jack while inserted in the audio in port is not what you would call usual usage. Its called equipment abuse. But apparently you don't do this so my suggestion is to have your laptop checked. Just a thought: I think the 13-inch Macbook has a unified audio in/out port, if you are using external speakers, it is possible that the pressure contacts inside are not squarely hitting the right parts in your jack. Those contacts can be a bit smaller than what is usual because there are more of the to handle the 'out' as well as the 'in' parts of the business. Of course it is possible the contacts are 'tired' and have to be bent forward a bit in the shop. But also check you jack for straightness. Sometimes, jacks can be bent and this causes strain on the internal contacts as well. I've seen this happen to me after having stepped on the jack.

well base on my brother who owns a macbook pro 13 late 2010 when they use the latest MAYA on it it will take forever.... but his GF who has an i5 samsung it rendered flawlessly... then some of his colleague's macbook pro 13inch died while rendering. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm the new iMac with the Thunderbolt interface comes equipped with a custom pin configuration for its hard drives.

Pretty soon all Mac models will support this new pin configuration and you won't be able to buy an off-the-shelf hard drive replacement for your Mac. Sneaky b@stards. Classic bait and switch technique.

• 3 weeks later...

well base on my brother who owns a macbook pro 13 late 2010 when they use the latest MAYA on it it will take forever.... but his GF who has an i5 samsung it rendered flawlessly... then some of his colleague's macbook pro 13inch died while rendering. :)

Well there is a simple explanation. the 2010 13-inch Macbook pro is Core 2 Duo. Samsung is Intel Core i5. No contest. Based on pure specs Maya will definitely work faster on Core i5 than on a core 2 duo. Core 2 Duo is a previous generation processor from Intel.

Hmmm the new iMac with the Thunderbolt interface comes equipped with a custom pin configuration for its hard drives.

Pretty soon all Mac models will support this new pin configuration and you won't be able to buy an off-the-shelf hard drive replacement for your Mac. Sneaky b@stards. Classic bait and switch technique.

Also you can't just put in a new hard drive. There's custom firmware it will need. It sucks, but on the one hand, I'm ok with Apple handling all my computing needs. Quite happy with all the macs i send for repairs. Also non of the annoying things PC hardware gives me. ANd yes, i have several macs and PCs. Annoying when PCs need so much more attention maintenance-wise!

• 2 months later...

IPAD, Iphone 4 and Macbook Pro.

I love everything about Apple. Since I started using Apple, I cannot imagine switching to other brands. Apple has defined a lifestyle all on its own. When you are an Apple user, you don't analyze the functions vis-a-vis the cost, just the way we do it with other products. All our gadgets just sync so well and the functions are quite instinctive and easy to use.

• 2 weeks later...

i need help guys. i need ur advice...

1. my daughter needs a mac that can run maya for her school, which model is best for her?

2. where do you suggest for her to buy???

thanks

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=14959955&linkID=9242259

you might want to check this first before purchasing a MAC to run Autodesk MAYA

Important notice for Autodesk® Maya® 2012 software, and prior Maya version, users regarding the latest Apple® Mac OS® X operating system release, version 10.7 “Lion”. Testing Maya 2012, and prior versions of Maya, on the Mac OS X 10.7 operating system, has identified platform compatibility issues.

The issues:

Installing Maya on Mac OS X 10.7 may cause the installer to hang.

Operating Maya on Mac OS X 10.7 may cause stability issues.

When submitting a crash report while operating Maya on Mac OS X 10.7, may cause the crash error reporting system to hang.

If you upgrade to Mac OS X 10.7, you may encounter these issues. Autodesk recommends that users of Maya 2012, and prior releases of Maya, do not upgrade to the Mac OS X 10.7 until the compatibility issues have been addressed by Autodesk and Apple. Teams from both companies are working closely to resolve these issues and a notification will be issued once the issues have been addressed.

Note: As of this time, Autodesk® Maya® 2012 software has not been qualified to run on Mac OS X 10.7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IPAD, Iphone 4 and Macbook Pro.

I love everything about Apple. Since I started using Apple, I cannot imagine switching to other brands. Apple has defined a lifestyle all on its own. When you are an Apple user, you don't analyze the functions vis-a-vis the cost, just the way we do it with other products. All our gadgets just sync so well and the functions are quite instinctive and easy to use.

ha! ha! ha! we are almost the same except that i use an iPad2, an iPhone 4, and a macbook air! :lol: