Mac Users Of Mtc (apple: Go Ahead, Take A Bite!)

• 2 weeks later...
Online, I have had good experiences with Other World Computing (OWC). They sell the NuPower replacement batteries from Newertech:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/powerbook/batteries/

$99 is the listed price expect to pay around $25 more for air shipment.

Try Battery King in Cubao, the Plaza Fair building ata yun. Near the MRT station that goes north; from that station you enter the passage that is near the ATM station. You'll see it to your left.

I bought one from there a few months ago (most likely four), still works.

Cheaper than original, pero OK naman. Japan-made daw.

Try Battery King in Cubao, the Plaza Fair building ata yun. Near the MRT station that goes north; from that station you enter the passage that is near the ATM station. You'll see it to your left.

Thanks. That is very good to know.

Snow Leopard users out there who have been scratching their heads about how to turn on internet sharing (the 'sharing system is flaky') or create an ad-hoc network [also called a computer-to-computer network] which essentially turns the Mac into an access point will find relief in the 10.6.2 update.

I found it funny that my Macbook Air (older version) could not provide internet sharing via Airport after the SN upgrade, but the 10.6.2 update fixed it.

is this the same battery king in market market? if so how much sya?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Am planning of buying a desktop and i was thinking of getting a MAC Pro. Now that Macs do run on Intel boards and processors, would i be able to customize the parts as i would in a PC? ie. Boards, Graphics Cards, Hard Disks and Processors. Would I be able to run an Intel board with the new Core 7 processor smoothly?

If I would get a Mac, I would have to run windows on it since the Softwares& Plug-ins i use are more for windows and i play games as well. My reason for getting a Mac is for stability and reliability.

I've read that for people who likes swapping out hardware to keep the system cutting edge, a PC is the way to go. Also the PC is the clear winner for overclockers and modders. Video card technology is constantly evolving to support the latest standards. Upgrading a PC’s graphic card is easy with plenty of choices available from low-end cards to extremely expensive cards, including dual graphics capability.

But what if am getting a dual boot to get the best of both worlds?

Any suggestions? Thanks

Edited by mick8

If you're not going to take advantage of a Mac's software, it would be better for you to get a non Apple product. Part of a Mac's stability and reliability comes not just from its hardware but also its software. Besides, there are just as reliable manufacturers out there. You just have to search which is which.

For example, based on a survey of laptops from 2007 to 2009, the most reliable and stable laptops (based on hardware problems) on a three year span are: Asus, Toshiba, Dell and Apple. Asus and Toshiba took the top two spots with Dell and Apple at a virtual tie. Worst laptop on a three year span is that of HP where 25% of HP laptops fail within three years. However, that's for laptops, I haven't seen the reviews yet on desktops.

Just to add, in order for you to upgrade a Mac Pro, you have to buy an Apple branded video card which more expensive than a video card of the same specs. So you'll end up paying more for the same part. For example a Radeon 4870 manufactured by HIS costs $156 at newegg.com, an Apple branded 4870 costs $250 from the Apple store as a video card upgrade of the Mac Pro. And Apple still doesn't have the nVidia Fermi or Radeon 5xxx series at their stores.

My suggestion?

Assemble your own PC using parts from branded and reliable hardware manufacturers. For a fraction of the price, you get the same performance as a Mac Pro. For the same price, you exceed the performance of a Mac Pro.

If you're not going to take advantage of a Mac's software, it would be better for you to get a non Apple product. Part of a Mac's stability and reliability comes not just from its hardware but also its software. Besides, there are just as reliable manufacturers out there. You just have to search which is which.

For example, based on a survey of laptops from 2007 to 2009, the most reliable and stable laptops (based on hardware problems) on a three year span are: Asus, Toshiba, Dell and Apple. Asus and Toshiba took the top two spots with Dell and Apple at a virtual tie. Worst laptop on a three year span is that of HP where 25% of HP laptops fail within three years. However, that's for laptops, I haven't seen the reviews yet on desktops.

Just to add, in order for you to upgrade a Mac Pro, you have to buy an Apple branded video card which more expensive than a video card of the same specs. So you'll end up paying more for the same part. For example a Radeon 4870 manufactured by HIS costs $156 at newegg.com, an Apple branded 4870 costs $250 from the Apple store as a video card upgrade of the Mac Pro. And Apple still doesn't have the nVidia Fermi or Radeon 5xxx series at their stores.

My suggestion?

Assemble your own PC using parts from branded and reliable hardware manufacturers. For a fraction of the price, you get the same performance as a Mac Pro. For the same price, you exceed the performance of a Mac Pro.

Thanks for the reply. The reason why i would have to run windows on a Mac is because the softwares and plug-ins i use are windows based and I play games too which are windows based. Aside from that am good to go with the OS X. The reason why I would want to try a Mac is because I believe the OS X is more stable than Windows and also its hardware components are less likely to cause problems compared to a windows machine. I might be wrong though.

As you've mentioned, it'll definitely be expensive upgrading video cards as Apple has only one vendor compared to windows that has numerous plus hardware upgrades for an Apple are limited.

Since Apple uses Intel boards, does that mean running Windows on a Mac is as smooth as running it on a Windows Machine? Also, can an SLI motherboard run on a Mac?

Thanks

Apple doesn't use Intel boards but they do use Intel processors. Apple uses a proprietary motherboard built only for them. With respect to your question of running it running smoothly as a Windows machine, yes it does.

I have a unibody Macbook (late 2009 model) with Core 2 Duo processor at 2.26GHz clock speed and 4GB of DDR3 1066 RAM and an nVidia 9400M video chip. I can dual boot with either OSX and Windows 7. You can also install other operating systems such as Windows XP and Vista, Ubuntu and other *nix type operating systems.

When running in native Windows 7, there experience is pretty good. No problems whatsoever. It runs even faster than my desktop (a 5 year old Athlon X2 3800+ with 2GB RAM.

I can also run Windows as a virtual machine within OSX using Parallels Desktop (the fastest virtualization software for the Mac but it costs $80 to buy) or the free Sun VirtualBox (but performance is slow). With Parallels desktop, I can even play some older games such as Warcraft III within Windows within OSX without the need for me to reboot in Windows.

On your SLI question, a Mac Pro has three available PCIE slots for up to three Video cards. However, in OSX it won't run in CrossfireX (ATI) or SLI (nVidia). You can only do that under Windows but it reportedly needs downloading tweaked drivers and the like. There are forums that will guide you how to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the new macbook pro. I'm not impressed at all with the Ipad. I tried it for myself at Best Buy.

You're not impressed because you should not be. Because you don't get it. Open your mind to consider the possibility that not everything with a processor, video screen, human interface system, and data storage should be a computer as we know it.

A iPad was meant to complete a digital lifestyle by helping address activities where using a notebook/netbook would be cumbersome. Some examples:

TV Ditches Paper Scripts for iPad, Saves $2,000 a Month

A TV station in Albany, Georgia is saving US$2,000 per month in printing costs by using iPads for writing and reading scripts. The station, WFXL, is one of 15 stations owned by Barrington Broadcasting, and it made the switch to both save money and reduce the company’s carbon footprint.

According to an article by Poynter Online, the station e-mails new and edited scripts to individual e-mail accounts set up for each iPad. Each iPad is also set up with a $6.99 iPad app called iAnnotate PDF — a PDF reader and annotation tool — for using the scripts in live and recorded situations.

In an e-mail interview, the station’s news director, Terry Graham, and interactive managing editor, Vincent Hunt, said the iPad had three distinct advantages over traditional laptops, its price point, size and intuitiveness, and access to the App Store, where the station will be able to tap into future app development when needed.

“At a modest $499 to $599 for each unit,” Mr. Hunt said, “you are getting a very dynamic device at a very reasonable price. Though the iPad does not boast the productivity of a laptop, the productivity of a laptop is not needed on the news desk.”

Though change is often resented and resisted, the two said that the station’s employees were very happy with the change, with Mr. Graham saying, “My staff members keep saying, ‘We’re not going back to paper scripts!’”

-------------------

Indy Driver Uses iPad for Real-Time Race Stats

Indy driver Tony Kanaan is among the first professional athletes to integrate an iPad into his workflow. Indycar.com blogger Daniel Incandela noticed Mr. Kanaan holding an iPad during a pitstop, posted an image on Flickr, and then followed it up with a video interview posted to YouTube (
)

In the video, Mr. Kanaan explains that his engineering team developed a custom app that displays real-time race information and stats so that he can quickly get updated during his pitstops. As he was speaking, he decided that what he really needed was a pocket in his car so that he can pull the iPad out himself, rather than his team having to take the split second to hand it to him.

-----------------------

Your lifestyle may not include situations where fingertip access to information is a major concern. In that case, traditional computing will better serve you but dismissing something off because it doesn't serve your needs tells a whole different story about the situation.

Hi Boom, any idea why windows xp on MBP using bootcamp can't detect the network and wi-fi card ?

Driver issue on XP side. You need to install the right driver. Both NIC and airport can't be seen right? It can also be a duplexing problem. I am not sure but try disabling the airport or ethernet maybe one will work if the other is not activated. Meanwhile, I'll keep on looking doe information. Plese post your experience whether successful or not.

Driver issue on XP side. You need to install the right driver. Both NIC and airport can't be seen right? It can also be a duplexing problem. I am not sure but try disabling the airport or ethernet maybe one will work if the other is not activated. Meanwhile, I'll keep on looking doe information. Plese post your experience whether successful or not.

Thanks Boom ! Yes both adapters can't be seen, only the firewire adapter is visible. windows really sucks, i have no choice but to help the guy for he is our CEO. It's only the firewire that is visible under network setting inside control panel.

• 4 weeks later...

Apple Tops Microsoft's Market Cap

May 27th, 2010 at 8:24 AM - Apple Stock Watch by Jeff Gamet

<http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/apple_tops_microsofts_market_cap/>

Apple's market capitalization inched above Microsoft's Wednesday afternoon for the first time to become, at least on paper, the biggest technology company around. While the Internet filled with reports that Apple is now bigger than Microsoft, the Redmond-based Windows maker still brings in more money each year and reports higher revenue, too.

Apple's market cap value climbed up to US$222.12 billion compared to Microsoft's $219.18 billion. Apple's stock closed on Wednesday at $244.11, compared to Microsoft's $25.01 closing price.

http://en.wikipedia....capitalization:

Market capitalization (often market cap) is a measurement of size of a business enterprise (corporation) equal to the share price times the number of shares outstanding of a public company. As owning stock represents ownership of the company, including all its equity, capitalization could represent the public opinion of a company's net worth and is a determining factor in stock valuation. Market capitalization is a market estimate of a company's value, based on perceived future prospects, economic and monetary conditions.

My take (Boomouse):

Market cap is just one measure of the size of a company but it is an important measure because it takes into account the confidence that the market and a company's investors have in it. This support is best indicated by increasing share prices. Of course, we have to adjust for the optimism and anticipation of a new iPhone anouncement and other things on June 7 when Apple opens its Worldwide Developer's Conference (WWDC).

But for those who think that an Apple vs Microsoft comparison is still a David vs Goliath comparison, here's something to consider:

post-188-127500867904.jpg

hi MTC MUGgers.. i finally made a switch after that very long wait. I managed to get my very 1st MBP 15". I am still in the familiarization stage and am planning to install win7 over Parallels Desktop VM for the transition period.

any recommended programs for a mac-newbie like me, especially who's into digital photgraphy :)

hi MTC MUGgers.. i finally made a switch after that very long wait. I managed to get my very 1st MBP 15". I am still in the familiarization stage and am planning to install win7 over Parallels Desktop VM for the transition period.

any recommended programs for a mac-newbie like me, especially who's into digital photgraphy :)

Portrait Professional

Aperture 3

Stuff the transition. Wade in and get your feet wet. Just remember to unlearn everything you learned in Windows.

New VLC is out. 32-bit & 64 bit versions too

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20006223-263.html?tag=nl.e795

by Topher Kessler

The VideoLAN organization has released a new build of VLC Media Player for OS X. The version 1.1.0-rc of the player has been updated with numerous changes and fixes, including a major reworking of the VLCKit framework, CoreText-based text renderer for subtitles, and support for new codecs and enhanced features of current codecs.

More specifically, the new release includes the following new features:

•. GPU and DSP decoding, depending on the platform

•. Faster and more stable

•. New codecs and HD codecs enhancements

•. Webm and VP8 support

•. MKV, mp4 and avi improvements

•. Extensions

•. Important code cleanup and rewrite

•. Interface and playlist reworked

In brief testing, I played two H.264-encoded QuickTime movie files in both the previous version 1.0.5, and the current release candidate to see the CPU usage differences. For the smaller of the two files, version 1.0.5 of VLC used about 16.5% of the CPU to play the file, whereas the current version uses around 12.5%. For the larger movie, version 1.0.5 takes about 35-40% of the CPU, and version 1.1 takes around 26-30% at the same scenes.

This is a decent improvement in performance, so lets hope it scales to various codecs and more complex and enhanced encoding schemes as well.

The player is freely available for download from VLC's website (see the News section below the current 1.0.5 download link), and is highly recommended by us as one of several alternatives and enhancements to Apple's QuickTime (MPlayer OS X Extended and the QuickTime Plugin "Perian" being some others). Keep in mind that this is a release candidate, which means it has left the "Beta" status but is not yet an official release. As a result it may have one or two quirks, but the major issues with the development of this version have been tackled.

While the VideoLAN website will point you to the download for the 32-bit version of VLC by default, there is a 64-bit Intel and PowerPC version as well. These are available at the following download page: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/releases/1.1.0-RC.html.

Recently there was news that the Mac development of VLC was basically dead, and that version 1.1 would be the last supported release on OS X. The problem was primarily the lack of interface developers for the program (though this version sports a slightly tweaked UI), so hopefully VideoLAN has been able to recruit a few Mac developers to continue this project.

hey boom i just wanted to ask whats going wrong with my mac after a month of no use i opened it yesterday and updated it with apple software update then i repair disk permission and shut it down.But later in the afternoon i open again my mac and found myself infront of a gray screen with hardisk logo and an arrow. Now it happened 3 times already maybe you now a solution

hey boom i just wanted to ask whats going wrong with my mac after a month of no use i opened it yesterday and updated it with apple software update then i repair disk permission and shut it down.But later in the afternoon i open again my mac and found myself infront of a gray screen with hardisk logo and an arrow. Now it happened 3 times already maybe you now a solution

Open System Preferences, Startup Disk. Select the Macintosh HD as the startup disk.

Congrats on your first Mac dude!