Mac Users Of Mtc (apple: Go Ahead, Take A Bite!)

Before I gave my one year old MBP that was exactly like yours to my son, I had to change the hard disk a second time because he did not like the MTRON 128 GB SSD I had on it. I found out that the most you can get on it was a 250 GB Western Digital drive. The 320GB was slightly too thick and would only fit in a 17-ingh MBP. We ended with a smaller, but faster 200 GB Seagate.

I now use the MTRON in an external enclosure to supplement that insipid 64GB SSD on my Macbook Air.

so can it be done d.i.y.?

so can it be done d.i.y.?

No. I still had to get someone at Ynzal to do it. I know I can do it but I am not in a urry to do it wrong. So better pay someone who does it for a living.

===========================

Does the Mac Really Have Enterprise Security Issues?

by John Martellaro, 5:15 PM EDT, July 15th, 2008

http://www.macobserver.com/editorial/2008/07/15.1.shtml

On Tuesday, Computerworld published a story about so-called security flaws in Mac OS X that affect the enterprise. The six arguments actually amount to a collection of shibboleths.

Security Flaw #1: Apple Updates. The argument is that security updates pop up unannounced and insufficient information is provided to make a decision as to whether to roll out the update.

Reality:
Experienced IT administrators who maintain Macs have access to information that helps them better understand the updates. With Apple Remote Desktop, they can lock down their clients and prevent individual users from installing updates while they evaluate the update themselves. Then they can roll it out when ready. The CW argument above draws from the experience of the desktop user, not the Mac IT administrator.

Security Flaw #2: Serious Flaws are slow to be fixed. "While the project running the software often patches such vulnerabilities in hours or days, Apple often lags in releasing such updates," the author noted.

Reality:
I suspect, based on my experience, that Apple evaluates the impact of the vulnerability in the light of the system architecture. If there are no known exploits in the wild, as the author admitted, then Apple can take a wholistic approach that's better for system stability. Also, they have to take into account that the FreeBSD subsystem is open source maintained by committers. In contrast, Microsoft can roll out emergency patches that simply cause trickle down effects and result in the need for new patches on patches and reduce system stability.

Security Flaw #3: Administrator Mode. The argument here is somewhat incoherent and suggests that the distinction between administrator mode and an unprivileged user is a problem in the business world. The argument fails to take note of the tools Mac IT administrators have.

Reality:
Corporate users of Mac OS X do not generally have Administrator privileges and IT Administrators lock down the Mac and dictate what can be done. Entire disk images ("spins") can be rolled out or specific updates installed. See Item #1 above. The CW article goes over the top when it suggests that Mac users with Admin privileges can all too easily access dangerous functions, which is not true in a managed corporate environment. "It's hard to enable those things on Windows," said a consultant who noted that "even when such settings are available in Windows, the settings are typically obscure or complicated enough to deter average users. By contrast, a single click might be enough in Mac OS X." The obscurity argument is hardly comforting and fails to take into account the fact that enterprise Mac users can be denied access to the the terminal or other configuration options.

Security Flaw #4: Naive Use of Back to My Mac. "Mac OS X includes one special service that sounds alarming at first glance -- and it can be a real security hole in unmanaged environments," according to the author.

Reality:
Enterprise installations of Macs are managed environments. Back to My Mac is a toy for individuals who assume the entire risk. The article goes on to basically admit that.

Security Flaw #5: Complacency over Malware. The author goes on to say, "The fact is that the Mac has not been a malware target, and it is safer than Windows from such threats." The argument is then that that may not be true in the future.

Reality:
The author negated his own headline and then added some speculation.

Security Flaw #6: Apple's security is half-baked. "Nothing in Leopard is completely implemented," according to a consultant cited by the author. "They finished enough to get their marketing bullet point, but not a real strong level of defense," was ascribed to another consultant. The solution suggested was to wait for Snow Leopard for serious Mac deployments when the users will "know precisely what security improvements Apple commits to for that release."

Reality:
Quoting consultants who have an opinion doesn't make for quantitative truth. Any OS is an evolving ecosphere. No OS will ever be perfect, and suggesting that the entire security posture of Leopard won't be complete until Snow Leopard is like suggesting that 90 percent of corporate America completely delay the deployment of Vista until Windows 7 comes out. It's a pipe dream.

In my opinion, the article isn't really about security flaws in Mac OS X that affect the enterprise. It's really just a collection of quotes and differing opinions regarding Apple's business practices and technical approach.

====================

Boomouse:

Microsoft did say that they were going to start hitting back as the "Get-a-Mac" ads were really hurting MS. I guess they are trying now. MS is one of ComputerWorld's largest advertisers.

Edited by boomouse
Well, basically, what the article says is the same thing I have been saying here. Unless you know where to look and what to look for, the security flaw isn't really an easy one to exploit...

Yes, but its one thing if we amateurs say it, and it is another when someone who makes a career of it says it. Martellaro is infinitely more credible than you or I.

Yes, but its one thing if we amateurs say it, and it is another when someone who makes a career of it says it. Martellaro is infinitely more credible than you or I.

True. The difference is, even most amateurs like you and I KNOW this is not easy to exploit, because we do keep tabs on our favorite OS.

I do have programming (engineering) background as well. I'm not saying I'm an expert, just that I understand enough.

Am I missing something here or isn't the author actually talking about Mac IT administrators and IT-personnel managed macs rather than "the average" desktop users?

As I mentioned to you before, a "hacker" won't target the everyday user. The hacker would have to look for an specific user, and he must have left himself bread crumbs in that user's Mac (meaning, he's had low level access) just to find that user online.

hi guys, another question here... is there a way for me to convert an animated gif file into a movie file?

I think you can open a .gif animation in quicktime (if you have QT pro, you can simply save it as a movie. Or, open it in imageready as a layered file and convert it into a movie.

guys can you help me set up my airport express,my airport express cant detect my Linksys WRT54G to make an extended signal

Have you tried interchanging your APX with the Linksys, and using the APX as the "repeater" instead?

Also, does you Mac have a built-in Airport to begin with? Mind listing down your setup?

guys can you help me set up my airport express,my airport express cant detect my Linksys WRT54G to make an extended signal

Intructions on how to extend a Linksys WRT54G network via AirPort Express can be found here:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060609053254368

I will save you the trouble of following the link because I have been asked this several times so, for the benefit of other thread readers, here it is:

In order to add an AX to your existing Linksys WRT54G wireless network you should first take the following precautions:

1. Disable or remove all firewalls on the computer on which you will be configuring the network. You should be able to re-establish your previous computer configuration after the network is set-up.

2. You must be running at least Version 4.1 of the AirPort Software. Make sure all of you system software is up-to-date by running Software Update found in your Apple Menu. Repair Permissions both before and after updating your software.

3. Perform a Factory Default Reset of the AX.

4. Immediately before performing the configuration process, Restart the computer on which you will be performing the configuration. Ideally, you will also shut down any other devices connected to the wireless network, but you probably will be able to configure the network without doing so.

5. Each step of the configuration process must be closely followed. Skip no steps, and perform no shortcuts.

Read on for the step-by-Step instructions.

Ready the Linksys WRT54G

1. Log into your Linksys WRT54G administration web page. In a new browser window, type the router address (http://192.168.1.1. This step (and the following steps) assume that you have not changed the default router address. If you have changed it from the default, then use the address you have assigned. The default administration password is admin.

2. Check the Firmware version of the router. You must be running Version level 3.01.3. The latest Linksys WRT54G Firmware can be found on Linksys' download page.

3. If you need to update your router firmware, detailed instructions for updating can be found in the Users Guide, which essentially instructs you to open the Administration tab from your Linksys configuration page, choose the Firmware Upgrade option, and following the on-screen instructions. If you need to update your firmware, make sure you restart the router.

4. While logged into the updated router using the instructions above, record the following information, which is found in the Wireless/Basic Wireless Settings:

* Wireless Channel pulldown menu - make sure channel 11 is selected

* SSID - (ie your network name), capitalization counts)

* WEP Password (choose 128 bit, type in a passphrase, key the "Generate" button, and write down use the hexadecimal equivalent generated as Key 1)

* Status Tab (make sure Wireless is selected) and record the MAC address listed here

Configuring the AirPort Express

1. If you have not already performed a Factory Default Reset of the AX, do so now. This is accomplished very simply by holding in the reset button on your AirPort Express while plugging it in. Continue to hold the reset button until you see the yellow light flash green four times. This may take longer than the time recommended in the referenced instructions. Release the Reset Button and allow the unit a few seconds to cycle.

2. Connect the AirPort Express to your a Linksys WRT54G LAN port using a CAT5 ethernet cable.

3. Launch the AirPort Admin Utility (not the AirPort Set-up Assistant) located in the Utilities Folder in the Applications Folder on your computer hard drive. The AirPort Admin Utility should list the Default Address name of the AX you are adding to your network to extend the range of the network using WDS. Select the AX. The status light on the AX should flash.

4. Click Configure, and choose the AirPort tab on the new window. Under the Base Station heading chose a name. This name will show up in the 'Select Base Station' window once your configuration is complete. Contact and Location are optional, and may be left blank.

5. Under the Airport Network heading's pulldown menu choose 'Create a Wireless Network (Home Router).' In the Name field, enter the SSID you copied down per the above instructions (enter it exactly, or you will create a separate network).

6. Click on Change Wireless Security. Select 128 bit WEP in the pulldown menu. Under Network Password, you're going to type in the Key 1 hexadecimal password proceeded by a dollar sign ($). Re-enter the hexadecimal password in the Verify box.

7. Change to Channel 11.

8. Under the Internet Tab in the pulldown menu Connect Using, Choose AirPort (WDS).

9. In the MAC Address window, type in the number you recorded, as instructed above.

10. Select 'Also Allow Wireless Client Computers.'

11. Now, under Configure, you have a choice. Either select "Using DHCP, or Manually. Many people have had success using the DHCP option, however, a manual configuration is often used to overcome some networking anomalies. If you choose Manually, use the following information to configure the AX:

* IP Address: 192.168.1.2

* Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

* Router Address: 192.168.1.1

12. Under the Network tab, deselect Distribute IP addresses.

13. Under the WDS tab, check 'Enable this Base Station as a WDS.' In the pulldown menu, select 'Remote Base Station.' Also select 'Allow Wireless Clients on this Base Station.' If all is working as expected, the Main AirPort ID box should automatically display the MAC number you entered in step five.

14. Under the Music tab, if you'd like, select 'Enable AirTunes on this Base Station.' Under 'iTunes Speaker Name,' enter a name for your remote speakers. This name will show up in an iTunes pulldown menu once your configuration is complete.

15. Click Update and load your new configuration into your AX.

16. When the AX recycles, disconnect the ethernet cable between the WRT54G and the AX. Unplug your AX from the power, and move it to the remote location you have selected for extending your network. Plug it in to a wall outlet and after the AX resets it should display a solid Green light.

If you're using your extended network to distribute iTunes to remote speakers there are two additional steps to perform.

1. You'll need to use an adapter cable to feed the mini jack out on your AX into your stereo or powered speakers. Launch iTunes and look in the lower right of the resulting window.

2. There should now be a pulldown menu that offers you a choice of music destinations, either Computer, or the name you entered for your remote speakers. Select the remote speakers, and iTunes should stream to those speakers.

Edited by boomouse
yup...I just downloaded the most recent version...it also happens to a mac g4 that i borrowed for a few months

Now that is strange. I think it may have something to do with legacy preferences in your system, but that's a longshot. Try uninstalling YM and all it's components using third party cleaners (Like spring cleaning and appzapper, both are shareware) that deletes all application-related files.

Try getting adiumX at http://adiumx.com for the meantime if you're not too particular with the messenger platform. You won't have the usual features like webcam, voice chat and file transfers (transfers, I think are limited to adium to adium users) but it'll at least allow you to chat freely.

Now that is strange. I think it may have something to do with legacy preferences in your system, but that's a longshot. Try uninstalling YM and all it's components using third party cleaners (Like spring cleaning and appzapper, both are shareware) that deletes all application-related files.

Try getting adiumX at http://adiumx.com for the meantime if you're not too particular with the messenger platform. You won't have the usual features like webcam, voice chat and file transfers (transfers, I think are limited to adium to adium users) but it'll at least allow you to chat freely.

yup weird talaga kasi I installed it on a brand new macbook. so walang kahit ano other than OSX. second program i installed after firefox.

Hello! Pwede po bang magsingit ng commercial? :) I posted a similar message in the linux folder.

I work for a company which provides ICT education packages. I'm looking for someone who can write a book on the MAC OS targeted for high school/tertiary level students. If anyone is interested, please email me your CV and sample syllabus at libraprime@gmail.com.

Thanks and more power!

APPLE SECURITY UPDATE 2008-005 FIXES DNS ISSUE

Apple rolled out a late day security update on Thursday

that addressed potential DNS-related flaws in Mac OS X

Leopard and Tiger. Security Update 2008-005 prevents

malicious attackers from forging Web sites -- a trick that

could potentially be used for phishing attacks where

hackers trick Web surfers into giving up personal

information like passwords and bank account data.

ei bm thanks sa message mo and it works fine ive restarted my wifes mb.

and 1 more thing ive read something in another forum about mac osx 10.6 snow leopard,any comment on this?

just got interested on the post thats why i asked :)

1. You are welcome.

2. 10.6 will not outwardly have any new features relative to 10.5. All the changes will be underneath. Critics will say it is a cleaned-up version of 10.5 which has undergone several patches--not as much as any Windows OS but we are still at 10.5.4. On the other hand, I look forward to it cleaned-up version or new version because I am curious about how much more faster and reliable it will be as Apple claims.

3. I know that a few new things inside will be:

• Support for Ms Exchange Server--admittedly a better system for pushing information to your devices.
  • True 64-bit memory support -- up to a theoretical 16 terabytes
  • A an OS with a higher level of awareness of multi-core processors with OS hooks that will allow software developers to write their programs to be not just multi-core aware but multi-core efficient.
  • Open CL, which is a language-based facility for software developers (note: I said developers, not programmers. Developers are people who design a program. Programmers are merely hired donkeys who are suppose to write the code to the specification of the designer) to be able to more directly address and control today's powerful GPUs.

My take on this? I'll try it out of course but I am even more excited by the kind of apps developers will come up with for an OS like this. A good OS will help spawn really impressive apps. That is the test.