What Fuel Do You Use For Your Vehicle?

got this from another forum. might interest MTC drivers:

REGULAR VERSUS PREMIUM GASOLINE

Regular Gasoline Has As Much Merit As Premium Gasoline

"Put a tiger in your tank," says a classic advertising tagline. In today's motoring world, what kind of fuel grade will have the power to place a beast in your gas tank?

The answer, according to experts who study fuel efficiency in detail, is both regular and premium gasoline. And it would be a waste of money to favor premium over regular, especially in these times when gasoline prices are high, according to the experts.

Virtually nothing is gained by filling up with a premium or more expensive grade of fuel than the vehicle manufacturer has recommended, the experts say. And many of the same experts explain that drivers may not lose much performance from their cars by using a lower grade of fuel than recommended by the car manufacturer.

There is little difference in energy content of regular versus premium gasoline. They both contain about 111,400 British Thermal Units of energy per gallon.

The price difference, however, between the fuel grades is anywhere from 20 cents to 40 cents, depending on where you live in the United States. The experts' consensus goes against the long-held belief by thousand of drivers who fill up with premium only, or on every third or fourth trip to the pump. The idea is to fill up with premium every so often to clean out the engines or rev up the performance of older engines.

But according to the experts, this practice is like tossing quarters in a wishing well, since most engines are designed to operate on relatively low-octane regular unleaded gasoline.

Octane is defined as a fuel's resistance to knocking. There is no benefit if the octane is higher than what the engine needs. Engine knock occurs when fuel in a combustion chamber ignites before it should. This disrupts the engine's operation. But electronic knock sensors are now common and have nearly eliminated engine disruption.

The American Petroleum Institute says if you find that your car runs fine on a lower grade, there is no sense switching to premium. The Institute recommends following manufacturer's recommendation, but even those manufacturers say that it is more of a suggestion than a command.

Thanks for the info.

petron xcs/blaze/caltex gold wala pang ethanol daw

yan ang hirap eh, may DAW. I doubt if the gasoline boy filling up your tank even knows if there is indeed ethanol in premium. here's another example of DAW:

wala DAW ethanol sa total

wala DAW ethanol sa seaoil

wala DAW ethanol in station so and so..

but the real test is when I fill up on my vehicle. kapag pumugak-pugak, there is something wrong with the fuel :(

• 2 weeks later...

AFAIK, regular gas is used on lawnmowers, bushcutters and water pumps.

tricycles use 'em sometimes

there's still regular gas being sold in the provinces

anyway, maybe there's something wrong with your scooter?

my brother fills his up at a local Total station and it seems to be doing fine.

I've noticed in the past months that my vehicles (especially my scooter) runs differently. pumupugakpugak. I believe this is due to the E10 that is added. hay.. paikot ikot ako ng mga gas stations who claims they do not have E10 in their pumps. hindi na ako nagpapakarga sa mga big-3 stations. sa mga less famous stations ako nagpapakarga nowadays (seaoil, total, flying-V, centrum, etc) para lang makaiwas sa E10.

but ang regular gas hindi ko pa nasusubukan. masmura pa siya kumpara sa unleaded or premium.

anyone used regular on their vehicles? what would be the effect?

masmura eh.. 37.08 per liter versus 47.59 sa premium

noticed the same thing happening with my 68 beetle. trying to restore the car and it has been parked in my garage for almost a year now. the nearest gas station to my place is a petron and unfortunately they don't have gas without e10 on it. i didn't want to spend on blaze for this car so i had it filled up with their unleaded. yun, pumugak din. had to tune it up again.

maybe i'll look for regular gas as well. just let me know kung saan meron in the vicinity of new manila.

thanks in advance.

AFAIK, regular gas is used on lawnmowers, bushcutters and water pumps.

tricycles use 'em sometimes

there's still regular gas being sold in the provinces

anyway, maybe there's something wrong with your scooter?

my brother fills his up at a local Total station and it seems to be doing fine.

change oil lang ang katapat ng scooter ko actually. since february of this year, hindi pa umaabot ng 1000 km ang odometer ay maitim na ang langis ko :( castrol pa ang gamit ko ha.

when I switched to regular hindi na pugakpugak. but I'm still in the monitoring stage. I just changed my oil to see how regular gas fares.

oh yeah, I just finished a full tank of gas. I estimate that on regular gas I travel at least 31 km per liter of regular. Not bad I'd say.

Follow your manufacturer's octane recommendation.

Regular gasoline is less than 89 octane.

Unleaded is 93 octane

Premium is 93 or 95 octane while some variants have 96 or 97 octane

Regular gasoline is used by multi-purpose engines in the farms, boats, lawnmowers and brush cutters.

Two-stroke motorcycles like the old Suzuki X120 can handle regular gasoline

Old Volkswagen Beetles also run on regular gasoline.

Regular gasolines can be found mostly in the provincial gas stations and only very few gas stations in Metro Manila carry regular gasoline.

If you have a high compression engine then you might have pre-ignition with regular gasoline which can severely damage your multivalve engine.

high-compression engine is equivalent to a car designed for racing, or those SUVs. I've talked to a mechanic (engineering graduate raw) and he said that in the past (example, the beetle) there was no problem putting regular gasoline in their cars. hehehe.. kailangan raw nila iadjust palagi ang carborador for different driving conditions. I believe this is the idle of the car.

he mentioned also a process of "decarbonizing". maybe the old-timers here can shed some light into it? irerev mo raw ng todo ang engine mo to get rid of carbon deposits.

anyway, oil refining has come a long way since. dahil electronic na raw ang fuel injection ng sasakyan ngayon there should not be any problem when you put regular gas in your car, especially for stop-go traffic. tama nga naman siya if you think about it; bakit ka magkakarga ng high octane gasoline (like premium) when you will only travel in clogged traffic?

isa pa.. kung okay lang kargahan ng ethanol gasoline ang sasakyan mo, why not put gasoline with no ethanol mixture? I have in my scooter and there is no problem. stock pa ang scooter ko. nawala yung vibrations nya and smoother ang takbo. pinababa ko pa nga ang menor because napansin ko nuon kapag unleaded ang ikarga ko ay parang nasasakal ang pag-accelerate ko. with regular ay nawala rin yung pag-lurch ko.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
caltex silver cause of hsbc rebate. i know this is off the topic pero di ko mahanap un thread eh. Is 10% ethanol, biofuel, e10, whatever you call it is bad to the engine, spark plugs, and electric system of the car?

It's bad if you're driving carburator engines, but if your engine is EFI it's hazzle free.

Source: howstuffworks.com

• 2 weeks later...
Caltex with techron, clean combustion means clean engine. (but my company is a sister company of TOTAL, hehhe.)

i also use caltex napansin ko more mileage from other gasoline

dati kahit ano basta mura pero when i switch to caltex gold

mas nadagdagan yung kilometers na tinatakbo ko on the same amount of money.

:mtc: :mtc: :mtc: