Book Or Movies?

Books are great... mas portable eh, you can take it anywhere... movies on the other hand mas madaling i share sa iba--you will find it easier to get people to watch a movie than read a book, no matter how good the book is... still prefer books though, i enjoy the feeling of being right there... mahirap sa movie house, ur sharing the movie with hundreds of people at the same time

Lord of the Rings came pretty close, especially if you remember the first two attempts at a movie. On the other hand I don't think it is possible to catch the humor of Douglas Adam's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy if this was to be made into a movie.

This was actually made into a movie, bout a year or two ago... ok naman humor--although syempre si Adams din nagsulat nung screenplay

Given the prices of books and movies these days ... neither!

Nah, kidding ... I'd still prefer to bury myself in another world the book prompts you to play with your imagination. Even if you're BARENAKED ... alone in the comfort and comfines of your room? Definitely a book.

BUT ... I would probably be tempted to watch the movie depending on how good the trailer/review(s).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Medyo may katamaran kasi ako magbasa ng mga fictional books.. I'd rather watch there movie version..

Minsan nagbabasa rin ako ng book.. pag maraming illustrations/ drawings :D

Pero when it comes to educational books such as computer books, home development, history, cooking, etc. -- OK ako dyan!

• 1 month later...

pwede siguro i-consider as literature. based naman kasi sa screenplay ang mga movies. it's just like reading a book but the difference is sa movies the "book" is interpreted for you whereas pag nagbabasa ka your imagination works for you. at isa pang difference e yung time. shempre limited sa time yung movies epro pag book ok lang kahit isang taon mo na binabasa ok lang. <_< hope i made sense...heheh

• 1 month later...

Literature is meant to be acted on & watched the same way poetry is designed to be read aloud & heard.

What is it with those teachers that limit their students to the written medium? Besides, if the students think they can get away without reading & try their luck, they deserve to fail for not taking literature in its entirety as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't appreciate Shakespeare -- he was such a pain in the ass to read -- until I watched Romeo & Juliet, then Julius Caesar, then Macbeth ... on stage & celluloid ... in classic & modern adaptations. Then I went back to reading them & appreciated them even more.

Learned that from other literature... books to film, then film to books. Poetry read silently vs. that read aloud, with music & film at the background.

It's a pity if media, separate as the forms of literature & arts are, seperate them for all time.

Literature uses the reader's imagination to paint a visual interpretation of the ideas and events narrated in the book while movies presents the events to the viewer with sights and sounds with the objective of either entertaining or overwhelming their senses. For literary work adapted to movies, the movie can only capture some of the details in the literary work as there is a limit to the screening time. For example, the V for Vendetta movie was a good adaption of the graphic novel in that most of the look & feel as well as the events were presented just as i imagined it. however, a lot of plotlines were omitted making the graphic novel a more rewarding work than the movie.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For fiction, I go to movies. I cannot muster the interest in reading their counterparts in books. However, I read a lot of books on non-fiction such as trade books, inspirational, etc. Though I know that reading books is a much better way of stimulating one's intellect and imagination compared to watching movies.

• 1 month later...

Why not both? It's great to watch a movie that you already read. I do that with the Harry Potter series. Of course there will always be differences between the two because there are so many factors. With books one could write to yours heart's content. But will it be a concept that's easily transfered onto film? That happend with the Dune series by Frank Herbert. All events in the movie(the one with Sting in it), happend in book 1 of that series. But in the movie, they put an ending which was totally out of line with the remaining books in the series (Paul Mua'dib caused it to rain). That never happend in the first Dune book. I guess they put that in to add another degree of awe to the Paul Atreides-Mua'dib character. They also modified the Atriedes fighting style called the Weirding Way into a weapon that uses sound waves to power it. It adds a more visually satisfying effect to the film that would otherwise be absent if they had only shown hand to hand combat. Of course I could fall back on the book to get a more satisfying experience. But the movie wasn't too bad.

:mtc: