It would be nice if we had a law or ordinance that will penalize drivers who do not yield to pedestrians at crosswalks/pedestrian lanes. Also we should have a law which does not penalize drivers with reckless imprudence resulting in homicide/serious physical injuries if the driver happens to run over a person in a highway where people are not supposed to cross. Case in point is Commonwealth Avenue where many people are run over after these people attempt to cross the highway. There are pedestrian overpasses for these people to cross.

A driver who accidentally runs over a jaw walker shouldn't be liable for his death or injury. He obviously wasn't negligent or reckless. The jay walker was.

Many years ago, I saw a man sprawled dead along EDSA after he was run over by a car. The MRT hadn't been built yet. The man was apparently trying to cross from the northbound lane of EDSA to the south bound lane when he was struck by the vehicle.

Sad thing is, just 50 meters away, there was a pedestrian overpass. If he had taken that overpass instead of trying to cross EDSA he might still be alive today.

A law is needed to prevent people from running for a political position while they are in jail awaiting trial for a serious crime.

Also, a law disqualifying convicts from running for a government position. Joseph Estrada, being a convicted plunderer wouldn't be mayor of Manila today if such a law had been enacted.

I'm actually amazed (and delighted) that Congress and the Senate actually proposed and approved a law that penalizes plunder with death. It was only GMA who took the death penalty off the table and replaced it with life imprisonment.

I suppose these congressmen and senators who approved this law never thought in a million years that this law would bite them in the ass later on. They thought they'd never get caught and arrogantly passed the law thinking "we are above this law." As far as these guys were concerned, plunder only applied to lowly government officials.

Goes to show that these senators and congressmen sometimes do not analyze the repercussions of their decisions. Buti nga sa kanila!!

If I were a senator or congressman, I cannot assume that I will be able to create a dynasty where my power and influence will be passed on to my heirs (just like the monarchs of olden days and the dictators of today) do.

That said, it would be to the interest of the senator and congressman to enact a law criminalizing squatting. Because they may be in power today but 10 years down the line, they may no longer be a part of the power elite. Their lands and properties may be invaded by squatters and they will have to abide with the present laws which coddle squatters.

They should move now and enact anti-squatting laws that will ensure that their lands are protected from illegal encroachment. Never mind the votes. If anti-dynasty laws are passed in the future, then squatter votes won't really matter.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to propose a law reviewing the granting of bail particularly to repeat offenders. After an offender repeats the same crime three times after being granted bail, we should adopt a 3 strike rule. After the third arrest, the offender will no longer be eligible for bail and will have to sit in jail pending the results of his trial.

I'd like to propose a law reviewing the granting of bail particularly to repeat offenders. After an offender repeats the same crime three times after being granted bail, we should adopt a 3 strike rule. After the third arrest, the offender will no longer be eligible for bail and will have to sit in jail pending the results of his trial.

Yes, recidivists should not be granted bail because releasing them will be detrimental to society.

I wish there was a law banning law enforcement officials from collecting money from victims of crimes before they work on their case.

So often, police won't proceed with the investigation unless the family of the victim coughs up money. Police will claim their vehicles have no fuel, they need money to eat at restaurants, etc.

Police should do their jobs without expecting victims to pay them off. They are paid with taxpayers' money. That should be more than enough.

Police who ignore the pleas of victims to help them seek justice unless they pay up should be fired.

I wish there was a law banning law enforcement officials from collecting money from victims of crimes before they work on their case.

So often, police won't proceed with the investigation unless the family of the victim coughs up money. Police will claim their vehicles have no fuel, they need money to eat at restaurants, etc.

Police should do their jobs without expecting victims to pay them off. They are paid with taxpayers' money. That should be more than enough.

Police who ignore the pleas of victims to help them seek justice unless they pay up should be fired.

This could actually qualify for Bribery under the Revised Penal Code.

Propose a law na pag Senador hindi kasama sa non bailable offense. Aba, e sila naman gumawa nang batas tapos ngayon ang daming sinasabi. Pinapatulan naman ng media. E kung ganyan din lang naman e exempted nalang. Para matahimik nadin ang media.

It would be nice to have a law prohibiting government officials (especially congressmen and senators) from using expensive vehicles. I've seen several expensive vehicles using the number '8' plate on some Metro Manila roads. These include high end Mercedes Benz cars, Lexus vehicles, a Rolls Royce with the number 8 plate, and many other expensive vehicles. Seeing these lawmakers using such expensive vehicles leaves a terrible taste in the mouth.

The first thought that enters my mind is "so this is where my taxpayers' money is being spent."

That said, it would be to the interest of the senator and congressman to enact a law criminalizing squatting. Because they may be in power today but 10 years down the line, they may no longer be a part of the power elite. Their lands and properties may be invaded by squatters and they will have to abide with the present laws which coddle squatters.

They should move now and enact anti-squatting laws that will ensure that their lands are protected from illegal encroachment. Never mind the votes. If anti-dynasty laws are passed in the future, then squatter votes won't really matter.

They only need to repeal or amend the 'Lina law' which is considered political suicide.

Since our constitution apes the US we may as well have our TIN also serve as our voter's ID. If you're a mendicant I don't think you have a right to influence the political fate of the 'nation'.

I also agree with previous posts that consistent implementation of existing laws is required. I was once told that in an official trip to Thailand, a Congressman asked an official what their secret was in attaining 'tiger economy' status. The reply was ' Simple. We copied your constitution and implemented it'.

I didn't realize that I can't create new threads until Larry mentioned it...

Creating new, threads about what's going on around us has made this forum interesting. Is manilatonight becoming a bigot?

Anyway, as a sign of protest, why don't we all stop posting in this forum until ManilaTonight gives us back the right to create new threads.

Moderators: PM me once you guys changed your stupid rule.

Goodbye for now. I won't be posting no more till you give back our rights.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't realize that I can't create new threads until Larry mentioned it...

Creating new, threads about what's going on around us has made this forum interesting. Is manilatonight becoming a bigot?

Anyway, as a sign of protest, why don't we all stop posting in this forum until ManilaTonight gives us back the right to create new threads.

Moderators: PM me once you guys changed your stupid rule.

Goodbye for now. I won't be posting no more till you give back our rights.

I wonder why the moderators still haven't replied to this complaint. I mean, whether they plan on changing this or retain the ban, I believe MTC netizens deserve some sort of explanation from the moderators.

Pag may kaso at lalo pag nakakulong, bawal dapat kumandidato

Agreed 100%. And if they are convicted, they should be disqualified forever from running for any government position. Because a crime such a plunder is a crime against the people that these government people swore to serve. They betrayed that trust so why allow them the opportunity to betray the people a second time?

pag mag nakaw ng p1000 pababa na halaga ng gamit o anuman , isang malakas na palo sa pwet pag lalaki gamit ang makapal na kawayan sa kamay naman sa babae, sa manipis na kawayan sa bawat halaga. p1000 <= isang palo, every 1000 isang palo. kung naka 3000 na halaga ang ninakaw, 3 na palo. mas malakas ang impact ng palo sa kulong. ganyan ang batas sa singapore at malaysia.

bawat vandalism isang palo din. sinisira nila ang paligid. tapos gastos ng gastos naman ang government sa pagpipintura ng pader.

Pag may kaso at lalo pag nakakulong, bawal dapat kumandidato

Agreed 100%. And if they are convicted, they should be disqualified forever from running for any government position. Because a crime such a plunder is a crime against the people that these government people swore to serve. They betrayed that trust so why allow them the opportunity to betray the people a second time?

Agreed as well.

It was reported on the news tonight that, because of the increasing number of crimes committed by riding in tandem criminals aboard motorcycles, Quezon City now requires motorcycle riders to have their plate numbers printed on the back of their shirts. So what happens if the motorcycle rider has a passenger? The plate number printed on the motorcycle driver's shirt will now be obscured. I fail to see how such an ordinance will minimize crimes committed by riding in tandem criminals.

In Mandaluyong, only passengers who are close relatives of the motorcycle rider will be allowed to ride in tandem. This includes the wife and children of the motorcycle driver. Meaning, the motorcycle driver may be pulled over and asked if the woman riding with him is his wife or the boy/girl passenger is his son/daughter. So now, the woman will have to bring along a marriage certificate. And the boy/girl passenger must carry identification showing that they're the children of the motorcycle driver.

Goes to show you the quality of the people who think up such ridiculous ideas on how to stop crimes committed by riding in tandem criminals. When you ask for a marriage certificate from the man proving that his female passenger is his wife, it's reminiscent of religious policemen in Saudi Arabia stopping men in the company of women and asking for their marriage certificates.

There is only ONE way to stop/minimize riding in tandem criminals: Fielding more police checkpoints all over the Metro Manila and pulling over and questioning dubious looking characters who are riding motorcycles in tandem.

There is no short cut to effective crime prevention. Crime prevention is the responsibility of the police last time I checked. Since it's their responsibility, then they should do their jobs. After all, why are citizens such as us paying taxes for?

The authors of the ludicrous ordinances mentioned above should be fired for stupidity.

Edited by oscartamaguchiblackface
  • Like (+1) 1

It was reported on the news tonight that, because of the increasing number of crimes committed by riding in tandem criminals aboard motorcycles, Quezon City now requires motorcycle riders to have their plate numbers printed on the back of their shirts. So what happens if the motorcycle rider has a passenger? The plate number printed on the motorcycle driver's shirt will now be obscured. I fail to see how such an ordinance will minimize crimes committed by riding in tandem criminals.

In Mandaluyong, only passengers who are close relatives of the motorcycle rider will be allowed to ride in tandem. This includes the wife and children of the motorcycle driver. Meaning, the motorcycle driver may be pulled over and asked if the woman riding with him is his wife or the boy/girl passenger is his son/daughter. So now, the woman will have to bring along a marriage certificate. And the boy/girl passenger must carry identification showing that they're the children of the motorcycle driver.

Goes to show you the quality of the people who think up such ridiculous ideas on how to stop crimes committed by riding in tandem criminals. When you ask for a marriage certificate from the man proving that his female passenger is his wife, it's reminiscent of religious policemen in Saudi Arabia stopping men in the company of women and asking for their marriage certificates.

There is only ONE way to stop/minimize riding in tandem criminals: Fielding more police checkpoints all over the Metro Manila and pulling over and questioning dubious looking characters who are riding motorcycles in tandem.

There is no short cut to effective crime prevention. Crime prevention is the responsibility of the police last time I checked. Since it's their responsibility, then they should do their jobs. After all, why are citizens such as us paying taxes for?

The authors of the ludicrous ordinances mentioned above should be fired for stupidity.

He he he. Absolutely agree. The stupidity of local government officials in solving problems never ceases to amaze me.

How do traffic enforcers in Quezon City enforce this ordinance? If the plate number is printed at the motorcycle driver's back side, the enforcer won't see the plate number until the driver has already passed by him. What's the traffic enforcer going to do if he sees that the motorcycle driver doesn't have the required plate number printed at the back of the shirt of the driver? Run after him? The only way this is going to work is if the traffic enforcer pulls over the motorcycle driver and inspects the back of the driver's shirt to ensure that the plate number of his motorcycle is printed on the shirt of the driver. But why even do that at all? Why not simply frisk the driver to see if he has any weapons on his person? That makes more sense than looking at the shirt of the driver to see if his plate number is properly printed.

As for Mandaluyong, what happens if the female rider forgot to bring her marriage certificate? Or the son/daughter forgot his/her identification card? Will the driver and his passengers be detained and brought to the police station for investigation even if none of them are carrying any firearms or other weapons? Ano ba ito? Guilty until proven innocent?