What Kind Of Student Were/are You In College?

I was fiercely competitive academically. My only purpose was to beat everyone all the time. I valued people only according to the their academic standing. I loved sunny days because I knew others would be outside playing and I would have extra hours to study that they would not have.

I became an electrical engineer and design microchips for a U.S. company based in Silicon Valley. This is related to my coursework because I graduated with degrees in Electrical Engineering.

I had to decided between a career in abstract mathematics or electrical engineering. I chose engineering because I felt I could make more money, make a bigger impact, have a longer career (research mathematicians do their best work when the are under 30), and compete more successfully since I believe that engineers are not as smart as mathematicians on the average.

I had a very difficult time adjusting to the work environment. I only knew how to compete academically, but this is not a useful skill in a work environment. The goal of a microchip design engineer is to design a successful product. It took me a few years of painful adjustment, slow growth, and humiliation to develop a useful attitude for an industrial environment.

I place more value on human relationships than I did at the university. Now, I want to have good relationships. I get enjoyment from interaction with others and it is important to me now (it was not important when I was a student, I just wanted to crush everyone academically).

I think I have developed more capacity for empathy, compassion, and humility than I had when I was in school. Much of this was a result of the painful experience of failure.

-q

Guest REBEL_CHIC

TEACHER'S PET ALWAYS! :lol:

kahit inaaway ako ng proff ko pag umaabsent ako namimiss nya ako at laging hinahanap. :lol: babaeng prof man yan o lalake. :lol:

Proud to be a Playboy... the first and only student sa school namin na nadala sa student affairs due to two ladies and their families quarrelling over me. :)

Aside from that, lasenggo, lakwatsero at top 5 student sa course namin :) papano ko nagawa yun.. simple lang (1) i love my course and (2) I know how to approach professors on subjects i dont like.

Being an athlete in school, daming benefits. Especially right now my school recognizes that sports can be a source of livelihood. Before, my school was very adamant regarding minimum grades but now they relaxed a little. The school even has a basketball program from grade school until college. Glad to be in the program but will graduate by next year.

• 3 weeks later...