• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Europe On A Budget

Visa restrictions. We'll most of europe is already covered by the schengen Visa or EU visa except UK and some eastern european countries. The general rule of thumb is you have to apply to the embassy where you'll be staying the longest. Even if the schengen visa issued by austria is valid in italy but if you'll stay longer in italy you will have to apply in their embassy. The only exception here is if you have official business in your point of entry and use that point of entry as the country that will issue you your schengen visa.

• 2 months later...
Visa restrictions. We'll most of europe is already covered by the schengen Visa or EU visa except UK and some eastern european countries. The general rule of thumb is you have to apply to the embassy where you'll be staying the longest. Even if the schengen visa issued by austria is valid in italy but if you'll stay longer in italy you will have to apply in their embassy. The only exception here is if you have official business in your point of entry and use that point of entry as the country that will issue you your schengen visa.

I have a friend, whose family, lives in Nice, France. Ibig sabihin nito eh mas ok kung sa French embassy ako mag aapply ng schengen visa kasi sa kanila ako titira. Pag nagka schengen visa ba ako pwede ako um-exit sa ibang country pauwi ng Pilipinas (like Amsterdam)?

And lastly... mga magkano kaya gagastusin ko to get a schengen visa?

Thanks!

I can add a couple of things to the list of suggestions already given.

Try apartment rentals. You can find really good bargains in very good locations. The thing I like about staying in apartments is that you get to stay in a real neighborhood where you can mix in with the locals. Getting exposed to the local culture is one of the great benefits of traveling. You can visit www.homelidays.com to find apartment rentals.

Regarding the debate between taking the train versus flying, use your common sense. It depends on many factors, including where you are in Europe. Train service in Austria is not the same as it is in Spain. The frequency of schedule, cost, etc are not the same. Also, take into account the trip it takes you to get to the airport, go through security, etc. For example, if you are taking a day trip from Madrid to Toledo, you can take a Metro to the train station and then go to Toledo. I believe there are more than dozen trips a day between these cities and the round trip will cost somewhere around 10 Euros per person which includes the fare for the Metro. Convenient and cheap.

Finally, if you are traveling in Spain and will be using the trains, book through RENFE (www.renfe.es). If you book early, and the you get the Web Special, the savings is sometimes close to 60%. RENFE post the 62 days ahead (don't know why) so if you book exactly 62 days from the start of your trip, you will most likely get the Web special price.

Our next trip is to Cinque Terre in Italy this coming March. It will be with my wife and youngest son.

Have fun traveling.

Edited by puki-man
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

sa europe, mahal talaga kahit saan ka magpunta, pero you can travel on a budget.Lucky one of niece was living in germany at one time. so when I got the chance to visit her, sinamantala ko na, binisita ko ang luxembourg, belgium, switzerland and france besides germany using my niece car...autobahn is superbly efficient. gaso mahal pero plan your trips ahead of time, stayed at B and B those quiant mom's and pop's places good value for money. it was a plus to meet some nice pinoys who welcomed me for a rundown of places to see. I say just enjoy it. I even parked my niece's car at kaiserlautern in germany and took the eurorail for a change.

switzerland is a beautiful place. very expensive though. their mrt one way ticket is almost 400 Php per ride. Imagine riding a taxi. public transpo is really great but if you want to see it better to rent a car.

Lake Lausanne is a great place to go to and also Bern. If you want snow. St. Moritz and Interlaaken. In Interlaaken there is a glacier which has snow all year round.

• 5 weeks later...

I am in europe now and had a chance to stay at these "backpacker hotels" It definitely blew away all my preconceptions and misconceptions about it. for as low as 12 euros a day you could have a reasonable stay at these places. Try looking at www.plushotels.com. i stayed in rome and it was worth every penny. The place was quite far but they have a shuttle that ferries people. the place is clean and the nightlife is amazing :) food is cheap also. If you want to have a chance to hook up with someone this is probably the best place to go. Since the atmosphere here is relaxed vis a vis a hotel, people would actually talk to you. I'd like to plan a tour next time around these backpacker hotels.

• 3 months later...

i had the chance to go to germany and france last year and i must say that everything is relatively expensive. I suggest that you go for hostel to save on your accomodation (brochures are usually available at the airport). Walking would be a good option in roaming around since the weather is quite conducive. train/ tram would be next practical option. For food, i have tried quick burger (their own version of Mcdo).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

One way to cut costs if you're going cross-country is by taking an overnight train to your next destination. Saves hotel costs.

I'm thinking of how I can take advantage of my Eurail Pass this coming month-end.

The brochure tells me you can hop on-hop-off anywhere during the time period in the Pass.

Paris to Amsterdam, then go back to Brussels, or Antwerp, or Rotterdam, or Utrecht, or push on to Luxembourg...hmm

the mind boggles....

• 4 weeks later...

Italy - Take a tour package

There are so much cultural places to see here and a tour gives the best value for your money. Oh, and eat your heart out. Sarap.

France - Rent an apartment in Paris and tour the place yourself.

It's better to keep a relaxed pace here and appreciate the whole romantic ambience. Visit the tourist spots. Do picnics in the parks. Ride the carousel beside the Eiffel Tower. And just fall in love. ;)

^^

florence is like a 2-3 hr drive from venice so plan your trip well esp if you intend to go on a day trip. you can check out the train sched for this, too.

just to confuse you further, you might want to check out pisa which is about an hour and a half drive west from florence. fascinating site that leaning tower.

I have to say, of all the sights I have seen in my many travels, the spectacle of the Leaning Tower of Pisa must be on the top of the list, it simply took my breath away.. I remember laughing once I saw it, just hysterical at the amazing sight, I look forward to seeing it again soon...

Amsterdam

Just rent a bike and go around the city. It is a bike-friemdly place. A good route would be by the Prinsengracht which runs along the city's longest canal. You pass by small, quiet streets and picture-perfect apartment buildings. If you go hungry there are lots of small cafes and eateries along the route.