How Do Filipinos View Balikbayans?

For me, there are distinct groups when the word Balkbayan is mentioned:

OCW/OFW - andito kadalasan ang pamilya sa Pilipinas. Lumalabas sila ng bansa para magtrabaho ng ilang buwan - minsan aabot sa taon ang contract bago makabalik sa Pinas. - LUMAKI AKO sa ganitong pamilya

Migrants: they moved their families abroad to find work and live there, then returns to the Philippines for a variety of reasons from: "the economy is crap, lost my job, can't find work" to "I've made a ton of cash there, back to Pinas and invest"

Cosmopolitan: relatively young people who don't like the work and pay in the PH. They move to other megacities in the the Asian region then returns to PH after a few years for varying reasons, from: "It's hard to get promoted in a different culture, back to PH, use my foreign experience to find a mid-manager or higher position job, either suck at the new job or shine at it, start complaining how bad the PH is again, looks for another job in other megacities in the Region, resign and leave PH again" to these two extremes: "I was very successful there and I want to mirror that success in the PH" and "It's hard working in a different country, foreign language, different laws, different religion, too many restrictions or it's too wild there"

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm one of them.. iba-iba ugali ng mga Pinoys from where I went, pero most of the time mababait at matulungin sila sa iba't ibang bansa.

However, pag nasa pinas ako, madalas kong napapansin sa mga OFW eh magastos.. then at the end of the day, pag ubos na pera, mag pawn sila ng alahas at kung anu-ano pa.

Yung mga andito naman, madalas nagiging ATM sila ng mga kamag-anak, walang natitira ang kawawa pag nagkasakit dito.

Yung mga Pinoy nakakasama ko dito sa SG, lagi ko sinasabi na maging wais lagi sa pera.  Protect your source of income (insurance), wag mag pa-utang basta basta, matuto gumamit ng credit card and mag invest.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...