Free Medical Advice

papable

Docs, I had a minor accident which required me to get anti-tetanus shots. The emergency room doctor prescribed Te Anatoxal but it seems to have some supply problem and I cannot find it on any Mercury Drug branch. I went back to the doctor to ask if there is any other brand or any alternative but he insisted that Te Anatoxal is the only one and there is no alternative. I spent a day calling different drugstores but cannot find any. I finally decided to go to another doctor and she gave me TetraVax instead which she said is a similar tetanus toxoid. TetraVax is easy to get.

I got disappointed with the emergency room doctor since he made me look for a certain brand when there is another brand which is readily available. Is it correct that TetraVax has the same effect as Te Anatoxal?

I think, the other doctor gave you Tetavax which is a brand name of a tetanus toxoid being manufactured by Sanofi Pasteur. Te Anatoxal Berna is also a brand name. Both are tetanus toxoids.

Thanks doc. So both have the same effect? I was just wondering why the first doctor (emergency room) that it is only Te Anatoxal which I should use even if I said it was hard to find.

I am currently being treated for a number of ailments and have been going 'generic' to try and save money. My physician has me on fenofibrate, brand name 160 mg per day. I can buy a 300 mg capsule generic. Would it be OK to take the generic 300 mg capsule once evey two days?

Fenofibrate should be taken daily, as the desired effect of controlling your hypercholesterolemia is attained when there is continuous effect.. i suggest na hatiin mo na lang yung 300 mg capsule para you can take it daily..

:mtc:

Fenofibrate should be taken daily, as the desired effect of controlling your hypercholesterolemia is attained when there is continuous effect.. i suggest na hatiin mo na lang yung 300 mg capsule para you can take it daily..

Thanks, I definitely understand that I must take it daily however I am sorry that I do not understand Tagalog. Are you saying that I can take the 300 capsule daily as a substitute for the 160 capsule?

Thanks, I definitely understand that I must take it daily however I am sorry that I do not understand Tagalog. Are you saying that I can take the 300 capsule daily as a substitute for the 160 capsule?

ah, pardon me.. i believe there are other available preparations for Fenofibrate.. there are 100mg, 160mg and 200mg available in the market. Unless your doctor tells you to take 300mg. daily, i would suggest that you should at least get the 160mg or 200mg capsule..

good day mga docs,

i was injured two weeks ago, natapilok ako while playing basketball with some friends.. hindi ko agad tinanggal yung shoes ko and immediately headed home and nilagyan ko ng ice ang paa ko. after that nilagyan ko na ng bandage after ko maligo..

my question is, medyo masakit pa up to now, what will i do kse i wanted to play again or perhaps magjogging.

thank you po

based on what you have narrated, yes it would be prudent on your brother`s part that he should undergo more tests and ancillary procedures inr to determine if he is at risk for any cardiovascular disease..

the fact that he is obese and has hypertension should be fair warning that he is indeed at risk for heart and vascular diseases..

thanks for the reply doc, he has undertaken the tests required, the utlrasound of the abdomen , though di pa lumalabas official, the medtec said it was okay, everything is normal except for a little fatty liver, blood works came out....result is total cholesterol is 149.23, trygly is 136.82, ldl 83.91, hdl 37.9 cpk is 84.40, initial computation said ejection fraction at 83% ....thread mill test...he make it 100% of heart rate, which the cardio said was normal....what is your opinion doc? do my brother need to go to psychiatrist to treat his anxiety attack ?

good day mga docs,

i was injured two weeks ago, natapilok ako while playing basketball with some friends.. hindi ko agad tinanggal yung shoes ko and immediately headed home and nilagyan ko ng ice ang paa ko. after that nilagyan ko na ng bandage after ko maligo..

my question is, medyo masakit pa up to now, what will i do kse i wanted to play again or perhaps magjogging.

thank you po

If your ankle is still painful at 2 weeks after the injury, I highly recommend you have yourself assessed by an orthopedic surgeon, just to be sure that there aren't any other significant problems that may need to be addressed. While the usual rule of thumb is to rest it while it is still painful, a well-trained ortho should be able to pace you and get you back to sports at the soonest possible time, should it really be just an ankle sprain.

thanks for the reply doc, he has undertaken the tests required, the utlrasound of the abdomen , though di pa lumalabas official, the medtec said it was okay, everything is normal except for a little fatty liver, blood works came out....result is total cholesterol is 149.23, trygly is 136.82, ldl 83.91, hdl 37.9 cpk is 84.40, initial computation said ejection fraction at 83% ....thread mill test...he make it 100% of heart rate, which the cardio said was normal....what is your opinion doc? do my brother need to go to psychiatrist to treat his anxiety attack ?

hmm.. looks like everything`s fine with your brother, and he does`nt need to see a psychiatrist.. you and other family members should be able to reassure and advise him to not worry so much and avoid unnecessary stress..

If your ankle is still painful at 2 weeks after the injury, I highly recommend you have yourself assessed by an orthopedic surgeon, just to be sure that there aren't any other significant problems that may need to be addressed. While the usual rule of thumb is to rest it while it is still painful, a well-trained ortho should be able to pace you and get you back to sports at the soonest possible time, should it really be just an ankle sprain.

thanks doc, although i can move and walk now.. the problem is i had already played basketball a week ago and i do feel pain inside the muscles when i jump and step in a ladder.

doc, one more ask.. pwede po ba na malaman kung may kakilala po kau na orthopedic? thanks po again, more power po! :thumbsupsmiley:

i know this is ot, but to all doctors there, my friend whose practice is in las vegas has put up a website designed to help patients based in foreign lands (his in particular) to contact a doctor here in the philippines prior to their coming back as a balikbayans. he says that a common problem of patients he sees when they want to come back here is the availability of medical care. the site is called filipinomedconnect.com. please do register and who knows, you just might chance upon a balikbayan patient through the website. registration is free. thanks.

edit: here's a link to the website --> filipinomedconnect.com

Edited by kanski

mga docs good morning po..

please advice.. I've been experiencing "kabag" for the past 3 weeks, then suddenly last week tuesday difficulty sa pag urinate... Then Thurdays last week i was rushed to the hospital because of severe pain from left side of the stomach that radiates to the side up to the back. The doctor suspects Kidney Stones dahil urine test reveal blood sa urine although di visible to the naked eye. I am going to have an ultrasound. How do you treat Kidney Stones?

Thanks in advance..

mga docs good morning po..

please advice.. I've been experiencing "kabag" for the past 3 weeks, then suddenly last week tuesday difficulty sa pag urinate... Then Thurdays last week i was rushed to the hospital because of severe pain from left side of the stomach that radiates to the side up to the back. The doctor suspects Kidney Stones dahil urine test reveal blood sa urine although di visible to the naked eye. I am going to have an ultrasound. How do you treat Kidney Stones?

Thanks in advance..

The goal of treatment is to relieve symptoms and prevent further symptoms. (Kidney stones that are small enough usually pass on their own.) Treatment varies depending on the type of stone and how severe the symptoms are. People with severe symptoms might need to be hospitalized.

When the stone passes, the urine should be strained and the stone saved and tested to determine the type.

Drink at least 6 - 8 glasses of water per day to produce a large amount of urine. Some people might need to get fluids through a vein (intravenous).

Pain relievers can help control the pain of passing the stones (renal colic). For severe pain, you may need to take narcotic pain killers or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) such as ibuprofen.

Depending on the type of stone, your doctor may prescribe medicine to decrease stone formation or help break down and remove the material that is causing the stone. Medications can include:

Allopurinol (for uric acid stones)

Antibiotics (for struvite stones)

Diuretics

Phosphate solutions

Sodium bicarbonate or sodium citrate (which make the urine more alkaline)

Surgery is usually needed if:

The stone is too large to pass on its own

The stone is growing

The stone is blocking urine flow and cuasing an infection or kidney damage

Today, most treatments are much less invasive than in the past.

Extracorporeal shock-wave lithotripsy is used to remove stones slightly smaller than a half an inch that are located near the kidney. This method uses ultrasonic waves or shock waves to break up stones. Then, the stones leave the body in the urine.

Percutaneous nephrolithotomy is used for large stones in or near the kidney, or when the kidneys or surrounding areas are incorrectly formed. The stone is removed with an endoscope that is inserted into the kidney through a small opening.

Ureteroscopy may be used for stones in the lower urinary tract.

Standard open surgery (nephrolithotomy) may be needed if other methods do not work or are not possible.

Edited by peterparker
The goal of treatment is to relieve symptoms and prevent further symptoms. (Kidney stones that are small enough usually pass on their own.) Treatment varies depending on the type of stone and how severe the symptoms are. People with severe symptoms might need to be hospitalized.

When the stone passes, the urine should be strained and the stone saved and tested to determine the type.

Drink at least 6 - 8 glasses of water per day to produce a large amount of urine. Some people might need to get fluids through a vein (intravenous).

Pain relievers can help control the pain of passing the stones (renal colic). For severe pain, you may need to take narcotic pain killers or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) such as ibuprofen.

Depending on the type of stone, your doctor may prescribe medicine to decrease stone formation or help break down and remove the material that is causing the stone. Medications can include:

Allopurinol (for uric acid stones)

Antibiotics (for struvite stones)

Diuretics

Phosphate solutions

Sodium bicarbonate or sodium citrate (which make the urine more alkaline)

Surgery is usually needed if:

The stone is too large to pass on its own

The stone is growing

The stone is blocking urine flow and cuasing an infection or kidney damage

Today, most treatments are much less invasive than in the past.

Extracorporeal shock-wave lithotripsy is used to remove stones slightly smaller than a half an inch that are located near the kidney. This method uses ultrasonic waves or shock waves to break up stones. Then, the stones leave the body in the urine.

Percutaneous nephrolithotomy is used for large stones in or near the kidney, or when the kidneys or surrounding areas are incorrectly formed. The stone is removed with an endoscope that is inserted into the kidney through a small opening.

Ureteroscopy may be used for stones in the lower urinary tract.

Standard open surgery (nephrolithotomy) may be needed if other methods do not work or are not possible.

Thanks Doc! Big, big help!

QUOTE (dekimasen @ Oct 2 2009, 04:35 AM) *

gud day po.

ano po ba ang remedy sa anal secretions? palaging basa ang anal area.

anong kulay nung secretions mo? parang nana ba? nagkarron ka ba ng parang pigsa before malapit sa butas ng puwet bka kasi mayroon ka nung tinatawag na fistula in ano.

opo...parang nana po. di ko maalala kung nagkaroon ako ng pigsa before malapit sa butas ng puwet. ... ang naaalala ko lang eh... nagsimula ito nung nagkamali ako at naiisuot ko ang underwear na hindi akin.

ano po ba ang remedy nito?