Free Medical Advice

papable

doc we have run hepatitis ABC and its ok, never drinks alcohol, do you think the patient's history of being yellowish in his early life has something to do with this? you said sir that even the medications should be given an attention? the patient has no medications so far and is just taking his daily vitamins of revicon. we consulted an internist and he said he's ok but im not convinced. thanks sir.

with regards to further tests you recommend sir, the patient has normal cbc with platelets, and normal serum TPAG levels, if you wont mind sir, why do we need to run the PT and iron studies? thanks a lot sir. God bless

with regards to further tests you recommend sir, the patient has normal cbc with platelets, and normal serum TPAG levels, if you wont mind sir, why do we need to run the PT and iron studies? thanks a lot sir. God bless

if CBC and platelets are normal, and there are no overt symptoms to point to a deranged iron level, there is no need to do this.

[/quote/]

actually, you can dispense with the iron studies, and for the sake of being thorough, you may want to do the prothrombin time as it is also a liver function test, and any abnormality may indicate a liver problem..

:mtc:

Edited by peterparker
doc we have run hepatitis ABC and its ok, never drinks alcohol, do you think the patient's history of being yellowish in his early life has something to do with this? you said sir that even the medications should be given an attention? the patient has no medications so far and is just taking his daily vitamins of revicon. we consulted an internist and he said he's ok but im not convinced. thanks sir.

hmm.. previous history of jaundice may indicate a liver pathology of some sort or a problem with the biliary system.. now, if all liver function tests plus history and physical examination, and ultrasonographic studies are unremarkable, the next step would be a CT scan of the whole abdomen and/or a liver biopsy.. if there is a hepatic or biliary tree problem, this can be detected with these methods..

every morning pag gising sa umaga masakit ang lower back then pagtayo after mga 10-15 minutes wala na. ano kaya 'to, sabi ng GP magpalit lang daw kami ng kama, nagpalit na ko ganun pa din. nag pa-xray na ko ok naman, wala rin akong UTI.

TIA

these might be just muscle spasms that you experience upon waking up in the morning, probably due to bad positioning when sleeping.. just to be sure you might want to consult an orthopedic surgeon or a rehab doctor..

mga doc salamat sa sumagot ng tanong ko,

let me rephase my question mali kasi pagkatanong ko "which is safer 5days before mens or 5days after mens?.. .

ayon sa review ko ang 7days before mens ay tinatawag na follicular phase or proliferative phase hindi daw ito constant na 7days cycle kase any moment ay pwedeng me lumitaw na egg tama po ba? plus içoconsider ang 2days lifespan ng spermcell, so it's safe as the 5thday lang kase 2days mabubuhay pa ang sperm.. .

uhn 7days after means na tinatawag na lutheal phase, sabi sa review ko ito ay constant na 7days so it much safer daw? kaya lang me mentality ako na iniisip kong hinog na ang egg kaya hindi safe (supersticious belief ko lang toh).. . after the ovulation at natapos na nga ba fertile period ng girl nagiging infertile nga ba sila uli sa lutheal phase, safe nga po ba ang luteal phase o 7th days before mens>

tama ba 2ng imaginary chart na naíisip ko;

menstruation unfertile but an egg my occur anytime so there a chance that my partner may concieved not safe

follicular unfertile but an egg my egg my occur anytime so there a chance that my partner may concieved not safe

ovulation most fertile days in the cycle

lutheal phase balik sa pagiging unfertile, dahil wala ng egg pero wala pa din mens

balik na sa menstruation phase.. . tama ba ako.. .

so 5days before mens nga ba pinakasafest.. . tama po ba?

ano po ang percentage that we concieved, if we did the deed after mens?

ano po ang percentage that we concieved, if we did the deed before mens?

i believe in numbers and facts kaya your input is highly appreciated.. .

good day sa mga peeps hir...

im just recently married...

i have a problem about my sexual relation with my wife. the problem is ayaw akong labasan sa kanya? does anyone experience dis? d nman siguro impotent kasi tumatayo naman ang aking alaga...

bkit ganun? ano ba problem? any solution for this? thank you.

good day sa mga peeps hir...

im just recently married...

i have a problem about my sexual relation with my wife. the problem is ayaw akong labasan sa kanya? does anyone experience dis? d nman siguro impotent kasi tumatayo naman ang aking alaga...

bkit ganun? ano ba problem? any solution for this? thank you.

in all likelihood, you may have a psychological issue.. could it be that you don`t find your wife sexually arousing..?

to be sure that there is no anatomical, physical or functional problem , i would suggest that you consult a urologist..

mga doc salamat sa sumagot ng tanong ko,

let me rephase my question mali kasi pagkatanong ko "which is safer 5days before mens or 5days after mens?.. .

ayon sa review ko ang 7days before mens ay tinatawag na follicular phase or proliferative phase hindi daw ito constant na 7days cycle kase any moment ay pwedeng me lumitaw na egg tama po ba? plus içoconsider ang 2days lifespan ng spermcell, so it's safe as the 5thday lang kase 2days mabubuhay pa ang sperm.. .

uhn 7days after means na tinatawag na lutheal phase, sabi sa review ko ito ay constant na 7days so it much safer daw? kaya lang me mentality ako na iniisip kong hinog na ang egg kaya hindi safe (supersticious belief ko lang toh).. . after the ovulation at natapos na nga ba fertile period ng girl nagiging infertile nga ba sila uli sa lutheal phase, safe nga po ba ang luteal phase o 7th days before mens>

tama ba 2ng imaginary chart na naíisip ko;

menstruation unfertile but an egg my occur anytime so there a chance that my partner may concieved not safe

follicular unfertile but an egg my egg my occur anytime so there a chance that my partner may concieved not safe

ovulation most fertile days in the cycle

lutheal phase balik sa pagiging unfertile, dahil wala ng egg pero wala pa din mens

balik na sa menstruation phase.. . tama ba ako.. .

so 5days before mens nga ba pinakasafest.. . tama po ba?

ano po ang percentage that we concieved, if we did the deed after mens?

ano po ang percentage that we concieved, if we did the deed before mens?

i believe in numbers and facts kaya your input is highly appreciated.. .

The safest day is the day which is nearest to the 1st day of menses (Day1). As you go farther from Day1 (either before or after), the chances of being "safe" becomes lesser. The start of menses means that the lining of the uterus has erupted and sheds blood making no chance for any product of conception to implant. If I were to choose, I would choose the days before Day1 of menses as it is not messy. Having sex on the days after Day1 of menses is quite uneasy and uncomfortable for most couples. The only clincher in choosing for the days before menses commence is the predictability of the day of menstruation. If your partner has regular menses then it would be easier to predict the seven days prior to the start of menses. However, for women with irregular menses, predicting this period is difficult.

So, to answer your question, which time would be more safer (before or after Day1 of menses), the answer is none, they are equally safe.

I advise you to not to be overly pre-occupied with the statistics of conception when having sex. This will not be healthy for your relationship. Passion is not dictated by numbers.

My male friend wants to know if how effective is the CHINESE CALENDAR METHOD? kc po he wants to have his first born child to be male. thanks..

sorry, don't know about this. any Fil-Chi doctors currently on the thread who know? you may try to pm dr.evilMBA. he might know. as we are now in two different hospitals in two different provinces, couldnt easily contact him as before.....

in all likelihood, you may have a psychological issue.. could it be that you don`t find your wife sexually arousing..?

to be sure that there is no anatomical, physical or functional problem , i would suggest that you consult a urologist..

I guess so and you have a point! I tried one time to try to one of the PSP. I find it normal and success. Both of us were cum! meaning.... sa misis ko lang ayaw?

thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
have a hepa b vaccine safe na ba ako sa hepa b? sa other hepa a to e safe din ba ako>

sir it depends on your antibody levels. have your anti Hbs levels checked (or better yet, see an internist or gastroenterologist first).

no, it doesnt make you immune to hepatitis A.

for more info, you may visit our hepatitis thread also in this section. thanks.

hi doc.

i have a client who accdg to him has sore eyes. my question is, we are supposed to meet bec. he will invest in mutual funds. sabi nya ok lang naman daw di naman daw nakakahawa ang sore eyes. basta no touch.

would like to confirm mtc docs if sore eyes are not contagious. sabi kasi ng iba. basta tignan ka lang. pwede ka mahawa dahil sa hangin. tnx.

hi doc.

i have a client who accdg to him has sore eyes. my question is, we are supposed to meet bec. he will invest in mutual funds. sabi nya ok lang naman daw di naman daw nakakahawa ang sore eyes. basta no touch.

would like to confirm mtc docs if sore eyes are not contagious. sabi kasi ng iba. basta tignan ka lang. pwede ka mahawa dahil sa hangin. tnx.

Conjunctivitis, especially the condition caused by a virus, spreads very fast, from one eye to the other of the same person, and to other persons the patient comes near to. It is transferred from one person to another by droplet (air environment in the same room or house), fomites (items touched by the patient`s contaminated hands), and by direct hand to eye inoculation. Indeed, this is a very contagious disease.

doc peter my brother have this problem

anxiety attack or hypertension0

here is his bloodwork

brother is 34, weigh 196lbs, 5'6 inch

trygly 130

cholesterol 185

hdl 48

ldl 111

hdl ratio 3.7

cpk 98

ekg normal ( taken at doctor's clinic )

blood pressure 140/90 he is under approvel 150mg, but was very anxious when taken at cardio's clinic.

cardio suggest to do more tests( stress, echo )...now he is more anxious and dont want to take it....what can you say ? please give your 2nd opinion thanks.

what do you think is his risks ?

doc peter my brother have this problem

anxiety attack or hypertension0

here is his bloodwork

brother is 34, weigh 196lbs, 5'6 inch

trygly 130

cholesterol 185

hdl 48

ldl 111

hdl ratio 3.7

cpk 98

ekg normal ( taken at doctor's clinic )

blood pressure 140/90 he is under approvel 150mg, but was very anxious when taken at cardio's clinic.

cardio suggest to do more tests( stress, echo )...now he is more anxious and dont want to take it....what can you say ? please give your 2nd opinion thanks.

what do you think is his risks ?

based on what you have narrated, yes it would be prudent on your brother`s part that he should undergo more tests and ancillary procedures inr to determine if he is at risk for any cardiovascular disease..

the fact that he is obese and has hypertension should be fair warning that he is indeed at risk for heart and vascular diseases..

what is tinnitus? what causes it? is there any cure?

Tinnitus involves the annoying sensation of hearing sound when no external sound is present. Tinnitus symptoms include these types of phantom noises in your ears:

■Ringing

■Buzzing

■Roaring

■Clicking

■Whistling

■Hissing

The phantom noise may vary in pitch from a low roar to a high squeal, and you may hear it in one or both of your ears. In some cases, the sound cCommon causes of tinnitus

In many people, tinnitus is caused by one of these conditions:

■Age-related hearing loss. For many people hearing begins to worsen with age, usually starting around age 60. Loss of hearing can cause tinnitus. The medical term for this type of hearing loss is presbycusis.

■Exposure to loud noise. Loud noises can damage your ability to hear. Heavy equipment, chain saws and firearms are common sources of noise-related hearing loss. Portable music devices, such as MP3 players or iPods, also can cause noise-related hearing loss if played loudly for long periods. While short-term exposure, such as attending a loud concert, usually causes tinnitus that goes away, long-term exposure to loud sound can cause permanent damage.

■Earwax blockage. Earwax protects your ear canal by trapping dirt and slowing the growth of bacteria. However, when too much earwax accumulates it becomes too hard to wash away naturally (cerumenal impaction), causing tinnitus or problems with hearing.

■Changes in ear bones. Stiffening of the bones in your middle ear (otosclerosis) may affect your hearing and cause tinnitus. This condition, caused by abnormal bone growth, runs in families.

Other causes of tinnitus

Some causes of tinnitus are less common. These include:

■Meniere's disease, an inner ear disorder. Doctors think it's caused by abnormal inner ear fluid pressure or composition.

■Stress and depression. This is an especially common diagnosis when hearing tests are normal and no other cause of tinnitus can be identified.

■Head injuries or neck injuries. These neurological disorders affect nerves or brain function linked to hearing. Head or neck injuries generally cause tinnitus in only one ear.

■Acoustic neuroma, a noncancerous (benign) tumor. Acoustic neuromas develop on the cranial nerve, which runs from your brain to your inner ear and controls balance and hearing. This condition is also called vestibular schwannoma. It generally causes tinnitus in only one ear.

Blood vessel disorders linked to tinnitus

In rare cases, tinnitus is caused by a blood vessel disorder. This type of tinnitus is called pulsatile tinnitus. Causes include:

■Head and neck tumors. A tumor that presses on blood vessels in your head or neck (vascular neoplasm) can cause tinnitus and other symptoms.

■Atherosclerosis. With age and buildup of cholesterol and other fatty deposits, major blood vessels close to your middle and inner ear lose some of their elasticity — the ability to flex or expand slightly with each heartbeat. That causes blood flow to become more forceful and sometimes more turbulent, making it easier for your ear to detect the beats. You can generally hear this type of tinnitus in both ears.

■High blood pressure. Hypertension and factors that increase blood pressure, such as stress, alcohol and caffeine, can make tinnitus more noticeable. Repositioning your head usually causes the sound to disappear.

■Turbulent blood flow. Narrowing or kinking in a neck artery (carotid artery) or vein in your neck (jugular vein) can cause turbulent blood flow, leading to tinnitus.

■Malformation of capillaries. A condition called arteriovenous malformation (AVM), which occurs in the connections between arteries and veins, can result in tinnitus. This type of tinnitus generally occurs in only one ear.

Medications that can cause tinnitus

A number of medications may cause or worsen tinnitus. Generally, the higher the dose of medication you take, the worse tinnitus becomes. Often the unwanted noise disappears when you stop using these drugs. Medications known to cause or worsen tinnitus include:

■Antibiotics, including chloramphenicol, erythromycin, tetracycline, vancomycin and bleomycin.

■Cancer medications, including mechlorethamine and vincristine.

■Diuretics — water pills — such as bumetanide, ethacrynic acid, furosemide.

■Quinine medications used for malaria or other health conditions.

■Chloroquine, a malaria medication.

■Aspirin taken in uncommonly high doses (12 or more per day) may cause tinnitus. an be so loud it interferes with your ability to concentrate or hear. Tinnitus may be present all of the time, or it may come and go.

To treat your tinnitus, your doctor will first try to identify any underlying, treatable conditions that may be associated with your symptoms. If tinnitus is due to a health condition, your doctor may be able to take steps that could reduce the noise. Examples include:

■Earwax removal. Removing impacted earwax can decrease tinnitus symptoms.

■Treating a blood vessel condition. Underlying vascular conditions may require medication, surgery or another treatment to address the problem.

■Changing your medication. If a medication you're taking appears to be the cause of tinnitus, your doctor may recommend stopping or reducing the drug, or switching to a different medication.

Noise suppression

In some cases "white noise" may help suppress the sound so that it's less bothersome. Your doctor may suggest using an electronic device to suppress the noise. These devices include:

■White noise machines. These devices, which produce noise simulating environmental sounds such as falling rain or the ocean, are often an effective treatment for tinnitus. You may want to try a white noise machine with pillow speakers to help you sleep.

■Hearing aids. This can be especially helpful if you have hearing problems as well as tinnitus.

■Masking devices. Similar to hearing aids, these devices produce a continuous, low-level white noise that suppresses tinnitus symptoms.

Medications

Drugs can't cure tinnitus, but in some cases they may help reduce the severity of symptoms or complications. Possible medications include:

■Tricyclic antidepressants, such as amitriptyline and nortriptyline, have been used with some success. However, these medications are generally only used for severe tinnitus, as they can cause troublesome side effects, including dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation and heart problems.

■Alprazolam (Niravam, Xanax) may help reduce tinnitus symptoms, but side effects can include drowsiness and nausea. It also has the potential to become habit-forming.

■Acamprosate (Campral), a drug used to treat alcoholism, is effective in relieving tinnitus for some people. However, more research is needed to determine how well it works for tinnitus.

Edited by peterparker
Tinnitus involves the annoying sensation of hearing sound when no external sound is present. Tinnitus symptoms include these types of phantom noises in your ears:

■Ringing

■Buzzing

■Roaring

■Clicking

■Whistling

■Hissing

The phantom noise may vary in pitch from a low roar to a high squeal, and you may hear it in one or both of your ears. In some cases, the sound cCommon causes of tinnitus

In many people, tinnitus is caused by one of these conditions:

■Age-related hearing loss. For many people hearing begins to worsen with age, usually starting around age 60. Loss of hearing can cause tinnitus. The medical term for this type of hearing loss is presbycusis.

■Exposure to loud noise. Loud noises can damage your ability to hear. Heavy equipment, chain saws and firearms are common sources of noise-related hearing loss. Portable music devices, such as MP3 players or iPods, also can cause noise-related hearing loss if played loudly for long periods. While short-term exposure, such as attending a loud concert, usually causes tinnitus that goes away, long-term exposure to loud sound can cause permanent damage.

■Earwax blockage. Earwax protects your ear canal by trapping dirt and slowing the growth of bacteria. However, when too much earwax accumulates it becomes too hard to wash away naturally (cerumenal impaction), causing tinnitus or problems with hearing.

■Changes in ear bones. Stiffening of the bones in your middle ear (otosclerosis) may affect your hearing and cause tinnitus. This condition, caused by abnormal bone growth, runs in families.

Other causes of tinnitus

Some causes of tinnitus are less common. These include:

■Meniere's disease, an inner ear disorder. Doctors think it's caused by abnormal inner ear fluid pressure or composition.

■Stress and depression. This is an especially common diagnosis when hearing tests are normal and no other cause of tinnitus can be identified.

■Head injuries or neck injuries. These neurological disorders affect nerves or brain function linked to hearing. Head or neck injuries generally cause tinnitus in only one ear.

■Acoustic neuroma, a noncancerous (benign) tumor. Acoustic neuromas develop on the cranial nerve, which runs from your brain to your inner ear and controls balance and hearing. This condition is also called vestibular schwannoma. It generally causes tinnitus in only one ear.

Blood vessel disorders linked to tinnitus

In rare cases, tinnitus is caused by a blood vessel disorder. This type of tinnitus is called pulsatile tinnitus. Causes include:

■Head and neck tumors. A tumor that presses on blood vessels in your head or neck (vascular neoplasm) can cause tinnitus and other symptoms.

■Atherosclerosis. With age and buildup of cholesterol and other fatty deposits, major blood vessels close to your middle and inner ear lose some of their elasticity — the ability to flex or expand slightly with each heartbeat. That causes blood flow to become more forceful and sometimes more turbulent, making it easier for your ear to detect the beats. You can generally hear this type of tinnitus in both ears.

■High blood pressure. Hypertension and factors that increase blood pressure, such as stress, alcohol and caffeine, can make tinnitus more noticeable. Repositioning your head usually causes the sound to disappear.

■Turbulent blood flow. Narrowing or kinking in a neck artery (carotid artery) or vein in your neck (jugular vein) can cause turbulent blood flow, leading to tinnitus.

■Malformation of capillaries. A condition called arteriovenous malformation (AVM), which occurs in the connections between arteries and veins, can result in tinnitus. This type of tinnitus generally occurs in only one ear.

Medications that can cause tinnitus

A number of medications may cause or worsen tinnitus. Generally, the higher the dose of medication you take, the worse tinnitus becomes. Often the unwanted noise disappears when you stop using these drugs. Medications known to cause or worsen tinnitus include:

■Antibiotics, including chloramphenicol, erythromycin, tetracycline, vancomycin and bleomycin.

■Cancer medications, including mechlorethamine and vincristine.

■Diuretics — water pills — such as bumetanide, ethacrynic acid, furosemide.

■Quinine medications used for malaria or other health conditions.

■Chloroquine, a malaria medication.

■Aspirin taken in uncommonly high doses (12 or more per day) may cause tinnitus. an be so loud it interferes with your ability to concentrate or hear. Tinnitus may be present all of the time, or it may come and go.

To treat your tinnitus, your doctor will first try to identify any underlying, treatable conditions that may be associated with your symptoms. If tinnitus is due to a health condition, your doctor may be able to take steps that could reduce the noise. Examples include:

■Earwax removal. Removing impacted earwax can decrease tinnitus symptoms.

■Treating a blood vessel condition. Underlying vascular conditions may require medication, surgery or another treatment to address the problem.

■Changing your medication. If a medication you're taking appears to be the cause of tinnitus, your doctor may recommend stopping or reducing the drug, or switching to a different medication.

Noise suppression

In some cases "white noise" may help suppress the sound so that it's less bothersome. Your doctor may suggest using an electronic device to suppress the noise. These devices include:

■White noise machines. These devices, which produce noise simulating environmental sounds such as falling rain or the ocean, are often an effective treatment for tinnitus. You may want to try a white noise machine with pillow speakers to help you sleep.

■Hearing aids. This can be especially helpful if you have hearing problems as well as tinnitus.

■Masking devices. Similar to hearing aids, these devices produce a continuous, low-level white noise that suppresses tinnitus symptoms.

Medications

Drugs can't cure tinnitus, but in some cases they may help reduce the severity of symptoms or complications. Possible medications include:

■Tricyclic antidepressants, such as amitriptyline and nortriptyline, have been used with some success. However, these medications are generally only used for severe tinnitus, as they can cause troublesome side effects, including dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation and heart problems.

■Alprazolam (Niravam, Xanax) may help reduce tinnitus symptoms, but side effects can include drowsiness and nausea. It also has the potential to become habit-forming.

■Acamprosate (Campral), a drug used to treat alcoholism, is effective in relieving tinnitus for some people. However, more research is needed to determine how well it works for tinnitus.

muchas gracias!