Free Medical Advice

papable

the redness is caused by her dry eyes. the only way to stop the redness is with the use of artificial tears. my wife suffers from the same problem, and she herself is an opthalmologist!

recent studies show that large doses of vitamin c and b complex do help the eyes in improving color and depth perception, as well as delaying onset of cataracts. but eye berry and lutein found in the market contain very few amounts of the right ingredients for it to be effective. hell, your average multi-vitamin supplement has more of the right ingredients. there are better supplements on the market, example is eye-vites. ask an ophtha, unfortunately our stock is at the clinic and i am not as knowledgeable as my wife is at her field :blush:

has your friend tried the gel form of artificial tears, by the way? my wife uses it, and she only needs to use it about 2x a day. your friend might try that..... :thumbsupsmiley:

no she hasnt tried the gel type. what is it called? where is your wife's clinic? actually it has worsen now she gets frquent headaches,which she associates with the redness of her eye.

Good morning docs...

my friend just called me up this morning asking if there's a "morning after pill" that you can recommend?

apparently yung gimik nya last night had an accident coz sabi nya naiwan daw condom nya sa loob (itz my first time to hear about this kind of story)...

please suggest any pill that his girl can take coz it just happened this early morning daw...

thanks guys!

Good morning docs...

my friend just called me up this morning asking if there's a "morning after pill" that you can recommend?

apparently yung gimik nya last night had an accident coz sabi nya naiwan daw condom nya sa loob (itz my first time to hear about this kind of story)...

please suggest any pill that his girl can take coz it just happened this early morning daw...

thanks guys!

afaik, morning after pill is not available here in the philippines. sorry !

Docs, tanong lang ako. Ang general epilepsy po ba hereditary? Ang epileptic bang tao ay "insane"? pareho ba yan ng mga "demented"? Are epileptic people capable of in-depth thinking? Pansin ko mejo mahina ang pick up nila.

Epilepsy ay HINDI hereditary, HINDI insane, HINDI demented , they are capable of in-depth thinking. Bakit mo naman nasabi na mahina ang pick-up nila ? I know a couple of persons who are epileptic and one of them is a doctor too.

Epilepsy ay HINDI hereditary, HINDI insane, HINDI demented , they are capable of in-depth thinking. Bakit mo naman nasabi na mahina ang pick-up nila ? I know a couple of persons who are epileptic and one of them is a doctor too.

Oh, sorry if i sounded like a bigot. It's just based on my absolute lack of knowledge about the disease. Well, I have two (2) friends who are epileptic, and both are kinda "slow" to me (again, i concede, I have absolutely no knowledge of the technical difference between "insanity" and "dementia"). I guess that's just the case with them. And, oh, I just realized that Julius Caesar was epileptic too, and he was indubitably a genius commander general.

Thanks for the reply. Again, I'm really very sorry if i sounded like a bigot (I am not).

Oh, sorry if i sounded like a bigot. It's just based on my absolute lack of knowledge about the disease. Well, I have two (2) friends who are epileptic, and both are kinda "slow" to me (again, i concede, I have absolutely no knowledge of the technical difference between "insanity" and "dementia"). I guess that's just the case with them. And, oh, I just realized that Julius Caesar was epileptic too, and he was indubitably a genius commander general.

Thanks for the reply. Again, I'm really very sorry if i sounded like a bigot (I am not).

its not that they are insane or demented, it could be that the slowness you see is due to the medications they are taking to control their epileptic seizures.

good morning doctors, can you give me your most probable diagnosis of a person with two folds increase in AST and ALT serum levels, patient is not an alcoholic, all chemistry lab tests are normal. HBSAg,HAVIGM,HCVAb were tested and found to be OK.

thanks in advance.

mga doc,

1.which is the infertiledays, 7days before or 7days after menstration? mejo naguguluhan ako sa calendar method eh pakiéxplain as simple as possible.. . ilan po ang success rate nito with perfect use.. .

2.also were planning using an injectables? san po ba descreet magpaconsult para dito, is there an over the counter or do we need a prescription to avail it.. . ano maganda i heard depotrust, and how much naman po ang ganito.. . thx

mga doc,

1.which is the infertiledays, 7days before or 7days after menstration? mejo naguguluhan ako sa calendar method eh pakiéxplain as simple as possible.. . ilan po ang success rate nito with perfect use.. .

2.also were planning using an injectables? san po ba descreet magpaconsult para dito, is there an over the counter or do we need a prescription to avail it.. . ano maganda i heard depotrust, and how much naman po ang ganito.. . thx

a woman is fertile only on the day that she ovulates (the egg survives for 24 hrs). thus you can deduce that she is infertile on the days other than this. the problem lies on when exactly does a woman ovulate. those with a regular menstrual cycle are said to be 'safe' on the weeks immediately before and after the first day of menstruation. but this isn't entirely reliable. i know of a doctor couple who, due to their religious beliefs, use the rhytm method for birth control. now, the woman is pregnant (unscheduled) with another child. :)

i've heard that injectables are very effective. just haven't read up on it that's why can't say much about it. i believe a consult with an ob-gyn is in order if you are considering this. he/she will fill you in on the questions you might have and administer it just in case you go this route. why not google this before you go in for a consult so that you are informed and you can formulate better questions to ask. imo, this a safer bet than the calendar method.

good morning doctors, can you give me your most probable diagnosis of a person with two folds increase in AST and ALT serum levels, patient is not an alcoholic, all chemistry lab tests are normal. HBSAg,HAVIGM,HCVAb were tested and found to be OK.

thanks in advance.

ALT and AST are two of the most reliable markers of hepatocellular injury or necrosis. Their levels can be elevated in a variety of hepatic disorders. Of the two, ALT is thought to be more specific for hepatic (liver) injury because it is present mainly in the cytosol of the liver and in low concentrations elsewhere.

elevations in liver chemistry tests such as alanine transaminase and aspartate transaminase can reveal serious underlying conditions or have transient and benign etiologies. Potential causes of liver transaminase elevations include viral hepatitis, alcohol use, medication use, steatosis or steatohepatitis, and cirrhosis. The history should be thorough, with special attention given to the use of medications, vitamins, herbs, drugs, and alcohol; family history; and any history of blood-product transfusions. Other common health conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease, and thyroid disease, can cause or augment liver transaminase elevations. The recent American Gastroenterological Association guideline regarding the evaluation and management of abnormal liver chemistry tests proposes a practical, algorithmic approach when the history and physical examination do not reveal the cause. In addition to liver chemistries, an initial serologic evaluation includes a prothrombin time; albumin; complete blood count with platelets; hepatitis A, B, and C serologies; and iron studies. Depending on the etiology, management strategies may include cessation of alcohol use, attention to medications, control of diabetes, and modification of lifestyle factors such as obesity. If elevations persist after an appropriate period of observation, further testing may include ultrasonography and other serum studies. In some cases, biopsy may be indicated.

:mtc:

docs, I would like to ask what proper diet is good for patients having prostatomegaly? TIA

To reduce symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), these factors should be incorporated in the daily diet:

Increase intake of fruits, vegetables and whole grains, soy, and green tea, foods rich in omega-3 oils (cold-water fish - salmon, sardines, mackerel) and in zinc (raw pumpkin seeds for omega-3 and zinc)

Reduce foods high in fat and cholesterol (butter and margarine, beef and whole milk), sweet foods, and refined carbohydrates (white bread and white-flour pasta)

Avoid or decrease intake of alcohol, coffee, and beer, particularly after dinner, and tobacco

Eat fewer spicy and acidic foods, such as salsa and chili

Eat less refined sugar Eating less refined sugar may help the body's healing ability

Eat more soy-based foods, such as tofu, miso soup, soy milk, soy beans, and vegetarian burgers

Soy-based foods, which are thought to be particularly valuable for hormone-dependent conditions such as BPH and prostate and breast cancers, provide phytoestrogens that help keep hormones balanced. Soy protein also may be heart healthy.

Eat fewer fried foods, high-fat salad dressings and sauces, and red meat

foods with fiber, such as high-fiber cereals and grains, fruits, and vegetables

Fiber helps improve regularity by decreasing pressure on the prostate from the lower bowel area, and helps prevent colorectal cancer.

To reduce symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), these factors should be incorporated in the daily diet:

Increase intake of fruits, vegetables and whole grains, soy, and green tea, foods rich in omega-3 oils (cold-water fish - salmon, sardines, mackerel) and in zinc (raw pumpkin seeds for omega-3 and zinc)

Reduce foods high in fat and cholesterol (butter and margarine, beef and whole milk), sweet foods, and refined carbohydrates (white bread and white-flour pasta)

Avoid or decrease intake of alcohol, coffee, and beer, particularly after dinner, and tobacco

Eat fewer spicy and acidic foods, such as salsa and chili

Eat less refined sugar Eating less refined sugar may help the body's healing ability

Eat more soy-based foods, such as tofu, miso soup, soy milk, soy beans, and vegetarian burgers

Soy-based foods, which are thought to be particularly valuable for hormone-dependent conditions such as BPH and prostate and breast cancers, provide phytoestrogens that help keep hormones balanced. Soy protein also may be heart healthy.

Eat fewer fried foods, high-fat salad dressings and sauces, and red meat

foods with fiber, such as high-fiber cereals and grains, fruits, and vegetables

Fiber helps improve regularity by decreasing pressure on the prostate from the lower bowel area, and helps prevent colorectal cancer.

thanks so much. doc peterparker

mga doc,

actually, infertile days are supposed to be 7 days before AND 7 days after menstruation. but, as my collegue pointed out, mahirap ito kung erratic ang schedule ng menstruation. also sperm could last up to 48 hours sa loob ng vagina. better to make it 5 days before and after.

injectibles are always from the counter, so you'll need a prescription. you'll need an OB-Gyne, some one you trust....

thanks in advance.

sir peterparker is right, next step you should ask for is an ultrasound

thanks in advance.

[/quote

any history of drug intake? some drugs increase thelevel of AST and ALT

ALT and AST are two of the most reliable markers of hepatocellular injury or necrosis. Their levels can be elevated in a variety of hepatic disorders. Of the two, ALT is thought to be more specific for hepatic (liver) injury because it is present mainly in the cytosol of the liver and in low concentrations elsewhere.

elevations in liver chemistry tests such as alanine transaminase and aspartate transaminase can reveal serious underlying conditions or have transient and benign etiologies. Potential causes of liver transaminase elevations include viral hepatitis, alcohol use, medication use, steatosis or steatohepatitis, and cirrhosis. The history should be thorough, with special attention given to the use of medications, vitamins, herbs, drugs, and alcohol; family history; and any history of blood-product transfusions. Other common health conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease, and thyroid disease, can cause or augment liver transaminase elevations. The recent American Gastroenterological Association guideline regarding the evaluation and management of abnormal liver chemistry tests proposes a practical, algorithmic approach when the history and physical examination do not reveal the cause. In addition to liver chemistries, an initial serologic evaluation includes a prothrombin time; albumin; complete blood count with platelets; hepatitis A, B, and C serologies; and iron studies. Depending on the etiology, management strategies may include cessation of alcohol use, attention to medications, control of diabetes, and modification of lifestyle factors such as obesity. If elevations persist after an appropriate period of observation, further testing may include ultrasonography and other serum studies. In some cases, biopsy may be indicated.

doc we have run hepatitis ABC and its ok, never drinks alcohol, do you think the patient's history of being yellowish in his early life has something to do with this? you said sir that even the medications should be given an attention? the patient has no medications so far and is just taking his daily vitamins of revicon. we consulted an internist and he said he's ok but im not convinced. thanks sir.