PacMan's Corner

menime

The so called Pacquiao victory celebration is nothing but a reflection of how rotten Philippine society is. Those vulture like politicians roaming around him is sickening to say the least. The first gentleman whispering sweet nothings to his wife on national television almost made me vomit. Chavit Singson bragging about his bet ( 20 million pesos daw) while the poor ilocano tobacco farmers continue to languish in poverty is distasteful. The guy should be in prison together with his former pal ERAP for god's sake!!! and yet ... there he was enjoying his stay in a 5 star hotel in the company of many other corrupt politicos. While people are busy in anticipation of this "battle", Shell and the rest of the oil companies increased prices of petrolium products whis is another blow to Juan Dela Cruz :angry:  :angry: . While enjoying the euphoria of "winning" a DH abroad ( which by the way are the real heroes of this great nation) is about to be beheaded and his father cant get there because according to DFA, we have no money!!!! How ironic!!! Senator Lapid and almost half of congress have the gull to spend an enormous amount of money to watch the fight and yet our government cannot provide a round trip ticket to a grieving OCW father. :thumbsdownsmiley: The domination of media mogul ABS-CBN stopping other smaller networks and media outlets of what is supposed to be a "fight for our nation" is another example of class A1 injustice.

But the saddest thing is that the Pacman is not only the willing victim of this hypocracy....but the main player. To me , his statement about he fought first and foremost for the country is hypocracy at its highest form. His call for unity is as bullshit as they come.Tell it to the marines pacman boy!!! If he is really after the unity of our people, he should not have given ABS-CBN exclusive rights to his fight because that alone has caused a massive divisiveness. He should stop acting like a hero and a saviour because he is not. Stop rubbing elbows with these politicians. Just concentrate on fighting in the ring and avoid all of those "makabayan pa epek". He just bought a car in the US and is planning to bring it here. Im sure we will not charge him its corresponding tax because he is a HERO!!!

Manny Pacquiao Phenomenon is nothing but a "short live fantasy" that consumes the psyche of the Filipino People...........being fed by the media and the government especially to the poor.... to give us temporary ecstacy!!! Its like a sweet pill to make us forget the bitter reality that confronts our society.This government will suck this issue up to the very end......they will continue to feed us moments of victory....Senator Revilla is even proposing a non working holiday to welcome the PACMAN which is both unfair ( to other winning athletes )and absurd (but what can you expect from an absentee senator)........Its like those dementors in Harry Potter movies(in reverse) ....they will feast on the newfound happiness of our people.....to make us forget the real issue on hand.......the harsh reality of poverty, inequality and a corrupt government. PWEH :thumbsdownsmiley:

Malaki utang na loob ni pacman sa administration na ito. Mahirap din kasi hinahayaan na lng ni pacman gamitin sya.

Kaya naiintindihan ko bakit inaasar mga artista na nasa politics. ang tahimik sa senate hall pero nanalo lang si pacman bumanat ng bill na holiday daw.

yung panalo ni pacman isang araw lng yun. dapat back to normal lives na. masyado naman pinapatagal eh.

yung nangyayari kay pacman prang kagaya pag may nakapulot ng 1,000,000 pesos malalagay ka sa newspaper.

hindi b pde isoli na lng yung pera na wla ng media pa?

naiintidihan ko bakit parang play-money currecy ng pinas.

just an update sir,you might know about it anyway but k. tszu lost on his last fight against mancunian ricky hatton. same with zab judah who also lost on his last fight. so in this division medyo anything goes ang dating pero duda ako if team pacquiao will try their luck on this weight class.based on various interviews,concentrate muna sila sa same weight class.kahit nga yung rematch w/marquez payag sila as long as bababa ng timbang si marquez eh.pero sa pro boxing,anything is possible as long as the price is right,kaya who knows?

Hatton is the new toast of the division after his impressive win over the former best pound per pound fighter in the world. This is perhaps the most exciting division today with Pretty Boy Mayweather holding court. Lightweight is already a stretch for Manny, Super-lightweight/Jr. featherweight will be suicide. No matter how much money is on the table. And I seriously doubt any good money will be on the money with the impending mismatch between Manny and any of the sper-welters. Jsut don't see it happening. Manny has enough action in the featherweight-super-featherweight divisions and could even sporadically invade the lightweight division with the right timing, proper preparation and the right opponent.

The so called Pacquiao victory celebration is nothing but a reflection of how rotten Philippine society is. Those vulture like politicians roaming around him is sickening to say the least. The first gentleman whispering sweet nothings to his wife on national television almost made me vomit. Chavit Singson bragging about his bet ( 20 million pesos daw) while the poor ilocano tobacco farmers continue to languish in poverty is distasteful. The guy should be in prison together with his former pal ERAP for god's sake!!! and yet ... there he was enjoying his stay in a 5 star hotel in the company of many other corrupt politicos. While people are busy in anticipation of this "battle", Shell and the rest of the oil companies increased prices of petrolium products whis is another blow to Juan Dela Cruz :angry:  :angry: . While enjoying the euphoria of "winning" a DH abroad ( which by the way are the real heroes of this great nation) is about to be beheaded and his father cant get there because according to DFA, we have no money!!!! How ironic!!! Senator Lapid and almost half of congress have the gull to spend an enormous amount of money to watch the fight and yet our government cannot provide a round trip ticket to a grieving OCW father. :thumbsdownsmiley: The domination of media mogul ABS-CBN stopping other smaller networks and media outlets of what is supposed to be a "fight for our nation" is another example of class A1 injustice.

But the saddest thing is that the Pacman is not only the willing victim of this hypocracy....but the main player. To me , his statement about he fought first and foremost for the country is hypocracy at its highest form. His call for unity is as bullshit as they come.Tell it to the marines pacman boy!!! If he is really after the unity of our people, he should not have given ABS-CBN exclusive rights to his fight because that alone has caused a massive divisiveness. He should stop acting like a hero and a saviour because he is not. Stop rubbing elbows with these politicians. Just concentrate on fighting in the ring and avoid all of those "makabayan pa epek". He just bought a car in the US and is planning to bring it here. Im sure we will not charge him its corresponding tax because he is a HERO!!!

Manny Pacquiao Phenomenon is nothing but a "short live fantasy" that consumes the psyche of the Filipino People...........being fed by the media and the government especially to the poor.... to give us temporary ecstacy!!! Its like a sweet pill to make us forget the bitter reality that confronts our society.This government will suck this issue up to the very end......they will continue to feed us moments of victory....Senator Revilla is even proposing a non working holiday to welcome the PACMAN which is both unfair ( to other winning athletes )and absurd (but what can you expect from an absentee senator)........Its like those dementors in Harry Potter movies(in reverse) ....they will feast on the newfound happiness of our people.....to make us forget the real issue on hand.......the harsh reality of poverty, inequality and a corrupt government. PWEH :thumbsdownsmiley:

Manny is a breathe of fresh air for a lot of our countrymen who have almost nothing to hope for. People want to see heroes and believe in them. He doesn't really need to act the part of a hero, it's a mantle already placed upon him by the millions of plain folks who identify with the former poor boy from Gen San. And I have really nothing against that. What indeed is wrong is how our government officials are using Pacquiao's exploits and success to grandstand. Even to the point of exploitation to distract our countrymen of the hardships and wrongs that ills our country. Sleight of hand and misdirection are magician crafts that is apparently not lost on our government leaderrs. I guess a call to our government officials to live Pacquiao alone, mind their own business and do their jobs of running the country properly is perhaps as equally important as the call for Pacquiao to just concentrate on boxing. Our grandstanding government officials can't help themselves when they see a gold mine.

Correcting typos:

Manny is a breathe of fresh air for a lot of our countrymen who have almost nothing to hope for. People want to see heroes and believe in them. He doesn't really need to act the part of a hero, it's a mantle already placed upon him by the millions of plain folks who identify with the former poor boy from Gen San. And I have really nothing against that. What indeed is wrong is how our government officials are using Pacquiao's exploits and success to grandstand. Even to the point of exploitation to distract our countrymen of the hardships and wrongs that ills our country. Sleight of hand and misdirection are magician's crafts that are apparently not lost on our government leaders. I guess a call to our government officials to leave Pacquiao alone, mind their own business and do their jobs of running the country properly is perhaps more important than the call for Pacquiao to just concentrate on boxing. Our grandstanding government officials can't help themselves when they see a gold mine.

you think you know all...

complaining againts someone who gave oppurtunity to other boxers to be recognized in the US...

at least manny is doing something on his behalf...and you...all your doing is running your mouth around....you remind me of his former handler...murrad muhhamad :grr:  :thumbsdownsmiley:

I'm guessing that this is not for me but is directed to an earlier post that is critical of the victory celebration surrounding Pacquiao's fight. I hope you got your angst aimed properly because I cannot understand how my posts can generate this type of a response. If I just mistook your response as directed at me but is in reality directed at somebody else, then disregard the first paragraph of this post. Just properly address your responses next time to avoid confusion.

If its for me, please acknowledge properly and I will reply properly and at the soonest possible time. Preferably with the usual fire and brimstone routine. I really enjoy replying to false replies the most.

Thank you and g'day.

Guest Inquisitive

Regarding your assertions in the first paragraph, I agree with you.

However, I do not share your sentiments in paragraph two. The reason for this is that Manny Pacquiao did not deliberately ask to be placed in this situation. The success that he is reaping together with the accolades are just a byproduct of what he has accomplished. When Michael Jordan was still playing ball, did anyone say that he was directly responsible for the media circus that surrounded him? Was it his fault that he was placed on a pedestal by his fans? Of course not because just like Manny Pacquiao, he got all that attention due to his exploits on the court. A person who is successful has many friends and admirers, he is literally and involuntarily the center of attention.

I don't understand why you have a problem with Manny Pacquiao asking the Filipino people to unite. Is there anything wrong with that? Is that immoral or illegal? Is that unconstitutional? Would it have been "more credible" if the one who said it was a statesman? I think not. Inasmuch as you have every right to express yourself by disparaging Manny Pacquiao, he also enjoys the same right to say what he feels and thinks. And until he says something slanderous or would pose a clear and present danger to the people, he can say what he wants.

As regards your arguments in paragraph three, I disagree with you. I think the nation has earned a respite from all the scandals and problems that they have been facing. At the very least and for a few hours, politics, the economy and all the nation's problems took a backseat. Just like a person who needs to relax and unwind once in a while, Manny Pacquiao's victory was the rest that the country needed.

^To Eric Morales' credit, he has given Pacquiao his due by admitting that he was beaten by the better boxer during the fight. A true warrior indeed. We can't expect anything less from him in the same manner that we can't expect anything less from Pacquaio. Manny did the same when he lost during their first fight. Even Marco Barrera has admitted, although belatedly, that Pacquiao was the better boxer when he got knocked out.

Surely, as a natural reaction, beaten men at the immediate end of a struggle will try to look for explanantions on why they lost. But once the smoke of battle clears, they face up to the reality of defeat and draw more courage from within to accept that they were beaten by better men. At the end they are not only courageous warriors but men with honor by accepting defeat.

^I never said or implied that boxers train to bulk up for a fight. You misread my post completely. It just stated that Morales weighed more during the fight than Pacquiao which is normal for boxers after they weigh in. Even if Pacquiao and Morales weighed almost identical during the weigh-in. I may miss your whole point too if I only deal with Morales' weight issues so let me try to hit everything in one sweep so that i don't miss anything.

You are correct that boxers usually don't bulk up for a fight. What they do is train to make the weight and bulk up after the weigh-in. But then again your statement is not entirely true because boxers also train to "bulk" up if they intend to fight in a heavier weight class just like when Roy Jones moved to heavyweight or when Oscar De La Hoya moved up to fight Bernars Hopkins and the countless boxers who moved up to fight in heavier divisions withou really outgrowing their natural weight classes. They all trained to bulk up. Well sometimes some boxers outgrow their divisions and will have to train to even get lighter to fight in a heavier division. It's just not the case with Morales in the fight as he trained to make the weight but he ended up bulking up come fight time.

Boxers train to make the weight that they are fighting in.  Its usual for a boxer to be in a weight class that is lower than there normal everyday non-training weight.  They have to be a little bit over the weight limit of their weight class during the off season and even during training because heavy training will take its toll on weight by the time they have to fight.  Ideally, a boxer must be just a few pounds over the weight class restriction but some boxers are just too heavy during the off season that they need to lose too much when training and trying to make the weigh-in. Thus in Morales' case, he needed to bulk up after the weigh in because he lost too much weight leading towards the weigh-in.  You could see the difference in Morales's face during the weigh-in as his eyes and cheeks were sunk in and he looked dehydrated.  As against the way he looked during the fight.  Even the announcers mentioned this weight difference and said that he weighed close to 140 lbs. Pacquiao was just lucky that he is comfortable with the 130 lb limit and didn't need to lose weight for the weigh-in and then regain the weight again to have enough power and energy during the fight.  He is also lucky enough that Morales didn't recover too quickly which made him less sturdier in the fight.  I'm not putting out excuses for Morales.  It's his fault for not making the weight properly.  This is normal now for pro boxing which allows boxers to put on weight after the weigh-in and weigh heavier for the fight. It used to be that the weigh in is done the morning before the fight and doesn't give a boxer too much time to eat up the weight he loses for the weigh-in.  Now the weigh-in is done a day before the fight and boxers have been known to stretch the limits of weight loss-gain for this weigh-in.  Sometimes it works for the recovering boxer (see Hopkins-Trinidad comment below), sometimes it doesn't as the energy lost is just too much to make up.

This is what happened with Morales, he was way overweight leading up to the fight, was probably already struggling to be at 3-4 pounds over the limit before the fight and had to really diet himself to starvation and dehyfration for extended periods of time while triaining just to make the weigh-in. Then he tried to recover all the weight after the weigh-in.  He did weigh considerably more but his energy was gone.

As for Manny moving up to lightweight, t's not really impossible even if his natural resting weight is slightly just under 130lbs.  In the off season, it is reported that he can go over by as much as 5 lbs which is nothing as other boxers can go between 10-15lbs and progressively more as the weight class increases. That's why I believe that Manny is still a natural featherweight because he doesn't even diet to make his weight and only needs 2 months to prep for a fight.  If he diets and prepares longer, he can easily make the 126 lb limit for featherweight without losing any power. 

Same thing when he wants to fight in a heavier division.  He needs to bulk up but he needs to do it over a longer period of time to get his body used to the heavier weight. He also needs to pack the weight slowly. A pound a month while undergoing training is ideal, meaning he will need to put on more muscle.  If Manny is currently fighting at 128-129 lbs, 3-4 lbs of muscle over a 4 month period is not impossible to achieve.  He doesn't need to go up to the full 135 lbs, just enough to give him a little buffer to take the heavier punches and to give his punches a little bit more power without losing the sting.

Moving up and down weight classes is not an impossible barrier for a boxer.  I do have some first hand information on this at various levels of participation and it's not just something that I just read about or pick-up from commentators.  Not that I don't read profusely on the subject matter. For one, I've also seen it personally with a lot of top ranked amateur boxers who even have to maintain the weight over a 1-2 week period during the duration of competitions. This a different calvary altogether as the boxers consistently diet in between fights while trying to recover fromt he banging from a previous fight and preparing for the next bout. Its not an exact comparisson but it's not really a stretch as the principles are the same. With th eproper training and preparaton, it can be done and the boxer will have a good shot at making it at a different weight class.

Fighting weight will vary from weigh-in weight from boxer to boxer.  A 3-5 lb difference is ideal but is not always the case.  Remember the Bernard Hopkins-Tito Trinidad fight?  They both weighed in at 167-168 but come fight time, Hopkins was 10lbs heavier and didn't show any slowdown in speed. That spelled the end for Tito who couldn't take the power of Hopkins.

Which is my point for my first post.  The problem will not really be if Manny can make the weight when he jumps to Lightweight, believe me he can, even Freddie Roach never mentioned that it would be impossible for Manny to make the weight. If Morales and Barrera were lightweights, Manny would be fighting at lightweight to go for the big money. The bigger issue will be is would Manny have enough weight on him to take the heavier blows at Lightweight.  Even if Manny can deliver his bigger punches, he still needs to be able to take punishment to be able to fight back and unleash his punches.  That's Freddie Roach's main concern as mentioned in INQUISITIVE's earlier post. 

But as I have said earlier, it will cross his mind when he gets there and his decision will depend on the motivation that the fight willl offer.  If there is enough money to be made that he cannot make elsewhere or if it will offer him a chance at multiple-titles or both.  For all we know, this can all be present but he just doesn't have the fire in his eyes to go at it one more time.  But it will not be because he couldn't put on the weight. My two mameras worth.

well moving up and down the weight classes has its consequences just like what happend to Morales.. 5 lbs is a big range.. thats more than 2 kilos.. a person is most healthy if his weight is just the same everyday.. with minimal changes.. eating more to bulk up for the heavier weight division is not a good idea as your body will use much of its energy to burn the food the you eat... the best way to bulk up should take around 1 year.. and that is by doing weights.. not only by eating more.. putting up more or less pounds in less time creates havoc on your metabolism.. and is very unhealthy..

the lbs that boxers lose during the weigh-in is just water.. .also boxers partially stop eating carbohydrates as to deplete the body of glycogen.. after weigh in they then carbo-load and the body acts like one big sponge..which takes up more amounts of glycogen for the muscles..

Weight changes will always have its consequences but we really have to look at where Pacman is at the moment. He is a natural featherweight and can easily make the 126 lbs limit if needed. But he has comfortably bulked up to fight at 13o lbs with his weight hovering at around 127-128 during the weigh-in (I read today that pacquiao weighed close to 140 lbs during the fight which I believe was a mis print by the writer).

Weight changes can be achieved if properly planned as you have said. Manny can make the weight if he wants to but he needs more time to do it. The longer it takes the better. His body will be more ready to fight at a heavier weight class if it trains longer and packs the weight slowly. Even if he is able to put on the weight, the big question again is can he use the weight to be a good boxer at 135 lbs. Well, that's something he will have to answer himself when the right time comes.

One thing going against Manny is that he has a very fast metabolism. He can lose weight very easily. And he has probably plateaued in viable fighting weight at 130 lbs making the lightweight shift a stretch. So the justification for more time to put on the weight. Sure he'll make the weight but whether or not he can take enough punishment at that class to be the same defvastating boxer that he is at featherweight is totally up in the air.

sa Manila daw next fight ni Pacquiao on June.. on pay per view via HBO daw..

tune-up match..unknown contender..caliber of 3k Battery daw..

this time i'm going to watch the fight na..how much kaya ticket..sana sa araneta..

pero sana paabutin naman ni Manny ng 11th round.. para di sayang bayad.. medyo laro laruin muna nya na parang langgam yung kalaban..

it's in the news today, Marc Antonio Barrera choose to fight Jesus Chavez instead of a rematch with Manny Pacquiao. Insiders said if Barrera chooses to sign in with a Pacquiao rematch would consider it a career suicide. It looks like the Barrera-Pacquiao rematch would take a long time to materialize.

Care to go 5 rounds with me? Pamapapawis lang and feed you all the bullshit youve been writing here.

To everyone else. Pacman is definitely a sportshero, as long as he's winning, but once father time catches up on him, it's all downhill from thereon end.

Hindi nila nakita logic ng point mo.

Paano pala yung may mga Company na hundreds yung pinapasweldo kung lagi may holiday dahil lang sa isang panalo.

Tapos wala daw ginagawa sa bansa natin ha. Malay nyo mga kamag-anak nyo kami nagpapasweldo.

Minsan Mag-isip muna. Marami kasi dito Ginagawa sa office mag-online lang. Magtrabaho kayo!

Guest Inquisitive
Care to go 5 rounds with me? Pamapapawis lang and feed you all the bullshit youve been writing here.

To everyone else. Pacman is definitely a sportshero, as long as he's winning, but once father time catches up on him, it's all downhill from thereon end.

Hey solicitor! Read Kilawin's response to your post. You've just been challenged. :D :P