PacMan's Corner

menime

Manny ends LA camp, motors to Vegas

By Abac Cordero

The Philippine Star 11/13/2006

LOS ANGELES — A heavy workout at the Wild Card Gym and a sing-along party at a nearby Thai restaurant highlighted Manny Pacquiao’s last day of training here in this cold City of Angels.

Pacquiao and his entourage of around 30 persons will travel four hours and 300 miles Sunday (Monday in Manila) to Las Vegas, the site of the highly-awaited fight against Mexico’s Erik Morales.

The 27-year-old Filipino boxer will hear morning mass at Christ the King Church in Hollywood area before taking off for Vegas where the weather has dipped to under 10 degrees over the last couple of days.

Pacquiao has been in LA for almost two months now and has practically spent each day running like wild in the morning and working it out at the Hollywood gym owned by his trainer Freddie Roach.

Saturday’s workout at the expanded gym also served as Pacquiao’s last day of sparring against taller and heavier Mexican fighters David Rodela and Jorge Padilla.

Before dozens of fans, Pacquiao had three rounds with Padilla and two with Rodela. Heavy punches were thrown both ways with Pacquiao, at times, allowing himself to get beat.

"You’re taking too much Manny," someone from among the crowd shouted as Pacquiao was pinned by Padilla on the ropes, and took heavy punches to the body.

But Pacquiao simply laughed it off as he headed back to his corner.

In the third round, he poured it out against Padilla, unleashing several flurries that often hit their mark and sent the 5-foot-9 Mexican reeling until trainer Buboy Fernandez called "time."

The crowd clapped with approval as the session ended.

Overall, Pacquiao had around 150 rounds of sparring, probably the most he’s had in recent fights. He will no longer spar in the final week heading to the match and will simply go through the motions.

"We really doubled our efforts in training for this fight. That’s why I feel so fine. This is the hardest training I’ve ever had. I’m ready. So, Let’s get it on," said Pacquiao.

The 27-year-old boxer took a while before emerging from the dressing room, and leaving the gym, but needed two hours to get out of the Nat’s Thai Food, his favorite place for lunch.

After filling himself with grilled pink salmon, vegetable and rice with friends and team members, Pacquiao turned on the music. He played the guitar and sang his favorite tunes with his composer Lito Camo.

There was no stopping Pacquiao who simply had a very good time. He looked so relax performing at the small restaurant that was later packed by Filipino fans based here in LA.

Pacquiao left the restaurant shortly after 4 p.m., boarding his two-seater, top-down Mercedes SL 550 with Demi Dizon, a very close friend from Manila.

Pacquiao was smiling as he drove off. Cool and confident.

http://www.philstar.com/philstar/NEWS200611131602.htm

Manny’s power, speed awe Mexican sparmate

The Philippine Star 11/14/2006

LOS ANGELES — Manny Pacquiao, according to one of his Mexican sparring partners, will be very hard to beat when he climbs the ring against Erik Morales next week in Las Vegas.

"He moves quickly and is very, very effective. I know he’s fighting at 130 pounds but he punches like a middleweight," said David "Dangerous" Rodela Friday at the Wild Card Gym here.

Rodela, at 5-foot-9 and 140 lbs much taller and heavier than Pacquiao, just finished two rounds of sparring with the hard-hitting Filipino at the Wild Card Gym when approached by Pinoy scribes.

Pacquiao’s other sparring partner is Jorge Padilla, another Mexican who is just as tall and heavy as Rodela.

Rodela said what’s nicer about Pacquiao is his agility on the ring.

"He really has the speed to go with it. He moves from side to side, very in and out and very technical. And he wastes no punches. His condition? I’ve never seen anybody in this condition before.

"I know he’s going to win," added Rodela, a pro boxer with a ring record of six wins, a loss and two draws with four knockouts. He’s fighting as a super-lightweight, two divisions higher than Pacquiao.

Morales, according to Rodela, is just as good or even better when it comes to boxing skills.

"Morales is good and he has the distance but he’s more of a boxer. I don’t think he has the power to knock out Pacquiao. I know he has the skills to hurt but not to knock him down," Rodela added.

Any predictions?

"I don’t think there’s gonna be any knockdowns. I think it’s going to the scorecards. That’s my personal opinion. They both have the skills. But for me it’s Pacquiao." — Abac Cordero

http://www.philstar.com/philstar/NEWS200611141604.htm

Fight odds make Manny uneasy

By Abac Cordero

The Philippine Star 11/15/2006

LAS VEGAS — Manny Pacquiao isn’t too happy being tagged as the overwhelming favorite.

Or at least, that’s the way he sounded.

"Sobra naman ang tiwala nila sa akin (They’re putting too much trust on me)," said Pacquiao Monday, the day the odds on his upcoming fight against Erik Morales continued to soar to his favor.

From -210 Sunday evening, Pacquiao is now -220 at Sports Book, the official and state-of-the-art betting station in this luminous city of 24-hour parties and non-stop entertainment.

It means that a straight bet of $220 on a Pacquiao win would win just $100. On the other side, Morales is at +190 in that a $100 bet would net $190, a dividend as handsome as the Mexican fighter.

When the Sports Book betting opened a few days back, the 27-year-old Pacquiao was already the clear favorite. He was -185 while the 30-year-old Morales was at +165.

There are a more than dozen betting propositions for the 12-round fight scheduled Saturday at the Thomas and Mack Center. It’s the third and decisive fight between the two.

Sports fans can also place bets that the fight will go 12 rounds (-155) or that it won’t go 12 rounds (+135). With only five days before the fight, there are more who believe that the fight would last the distance.

People can also bet on Morales winning by decision (5/2) or knockout (4/1), Pacquiao by decision (7/5) or knockout (2/1), and if the fight would end up in a draw where the odds are biggest at 12/1.

Then there’s the round-by-round proposition with either Morales or Pacquiao winning via knockout in the first round, all the way to the second, third, fourth, fifth and so on.

The odds of Morales winning by KO in the first three rounds are 25/1 and for Pacquiao it’s 20/1 under the same scenario.

Pacquiao, who also played the role of the favorite in his first two meetings with Morales, said it doesn’t really matter what the oddsmakers say before the fight.

"Papel lang kasi ito eh (This is just a piece of paper)," said Pacquiao as he held the latest print-out of the Sports Book betting guide for Saturday’s blockbuster fight.

He said everything becomes even the moment the fighters climb the ring.

http://www.philstar.com/philstar/NEWS200611151603.htm

Kabado lahat pati mga pupusta sa laban. Dehado si Morales. He checked in at

the hotel in Vegas weighing 136 lbs. If this were true, he would have to bring his

weight down again for Friday's weigh-in.

This is a good news for pacman's fans..

Laban pacman..

Sino kaya kakanta sa laban ni pacman.. sana di na sintunado.. pero okay lang sintunado basta swerte ka pacman..

:thumbsdownsmiley: :thumbsdownsmiley:

Guys, do u think Pacquiao can knock out Morales again... If ever, in what round???

Make a wild guess.... :cool:

Manny will win this fight either via a late KO or majority decision. The same with their second fight.....the drastic loss of weight will really have a negative effect on the performance of Morales. But this will not stop me from praying and hoping that somehow........someway......matalo si Pacman :thumbsdownsmiley:

:thumbsdownsmiley: :thumbsdownsmiley:

Manny will win this fight either via a late KO or majority decision. The same with their second fight.....the drastic loss of weight will really have a negative effect on the performance of Morales. But this will not stop me from praying and hoping that somehow........someway......matalo si Pacman :thumbsdownsmiley:

para ka namang di pilipino nyan dude...well, that's your opinion and i respect it...oks lang yan...but i tell you pacman's going to win bigtime!!!!

Edited by moli_calingasan

Pacquiao by KO — Roach

By Nick Giongco

LAS VEGAS — As long as Erik Morales is trading blows with Manny Pacquiao on Saturday night, trainer Freddie Roach won’t be able to sit back and relax.

Roach expressed the belief on Tuesday that Morales will come out of his corner smoking and unmindful of the dangers that a heated exchange opposite a heavy hitter poses.

"I believe that Morales will come out really strong. We just have to be prepared for the early onslaught and if we can do that, the fight’s going to be over (for Morales)," Roach said after presiding over Pacquiao’s third-to-the-last workout at the oven-hot IBA Gym.

"When he starts to fade away, it’s over," said Roach, who has been calling the shots in the Filipino’s corner since mid-2001.

Told about the possibility of the fight ending early, Roach almost ruled it out, saying he sees the bout ending in the "ninth, tenth or eleventh round" although he made it clear he doesn’t think it will go to the scorecards.

"I don’t see this going the distance. Down the stretch around the ninth, tenth or eleventh round, we are going to knock him out. It will all boil down to who is the freshest down the stretch. And I really believe it is my guy," said Roach, his white shirt drenched in sweat after enduring the pounding that he took during the five-round session with the mitts.

What made Roach think that Morales will go for a knockout early was the decision to wear the Cleto Reyes gloves, preferred by punchers, and not the Japan-made Winning, which is noted for its heavy padding in the knuckle area.

"He ordered Reyes gloves and this time if he is wearing them, it means he is not concerned hurting his hand so much. He is concerned about an early knockout and if he breaks his hand, he breaks his hand. But I think the gloves will be an indication that he will be starting quickly," added Roach.

It is also being considered that Morales — even if he makes the super-featherweight limit of 130 lbs on Friday — will be weakened by the difficulties getting his weight down after starting training camp bloated.

Pacquiao was not vocal about the way the fight’s going to end but he assured his fans and countrymen back home that he will not let them down.

"This is for the honor of my country," Pacquiao told US media outlets following the two-hour workout.

Meanwhile, Morales will hold his own workout for the media on Wednesday at 3 p.m. at the Top Rank Gym. He arrived here on board a private plane from Mexico late Monday night.

A press conference at the Cox Concourse inside the UNLV campus is booked for Thursday noon.

http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT2006111679835.html

para ka namang di pilipino nyan dude...well, that's your opinion and i respect it...oks lang yan...but i tell you pacman's going to win bigtime!!!!

Dude,i can guaranty you that i am as Filipino as you can get.........its just that im so sick and tired of this Pacquio Mania and his OA attitude etc..... :angry: :angry:

Dude,i can guaranty you that i am as Filipino as you can get.........its just that im so sick and tired of this Pacquio Mania and his OA attitude etc..... :angry: :angry:

sorry for interrupting, but just that you are sick and tired of the hype and the OA doesn't give you enough reason to pray for Manny's Lost... for what other reason? may ikabubuti ba yun?

for you to think na it's better for him to lose bec. it's so OA is enough self-gratifying attitude... for what? para mapahiya ang mga taong umaasa sa kanya? babaw nito 'dre...

I would have understand this if you have said win or lose you could have supported him...

remember, Manny didn't win it all, and how many times people like you have laughed at him bec. he lost...

Mas mabuti pang sabihin mo na malugi siya sa sugal o madisgrasya siya, pero yung 'matalo' sya dahil lang na-OOA ka sa kanya, super babaw yan pre...

pinaghirapan niya din ang laban na 'to... kaya lahat ng pinoy umaasa din sa laban na yan, wala tayong paki kung sino man ang maki-sawsaw pag nanalo siya - problema ng mga politiko yan... pro yang masamang biro na yan hindi dapat pinapairal yan - demonyo lang ang nagplaplano ng ikasisira ng isang tao kung ang hangarin naman nung tao na yun ay maganda...

medyo nauurat na rin ako sa "Pacquiao Mania". i'm sick of his recording career, his extreme magic sing commercial and his other endorsements, at yung attention ng media sa kanya.

gusto ko sanang pumusta kay Morales, with the same reason with some of the people here. Para matigil na ang "kayabangan" ni Pacquiao. pero namaaaaaaaan. ano ako hilo? pupusta ako ng libo para lang sa mababaw na reason na yun? naaah.

as i see it, 50/50 yung laban. ang hirap i-call. di na ko pumusta. ngayon, nasa side ako ni Pacquiao kasi Filipino sya and I want a Filipino to go down in history as one of the most exciting prizefighters that ever lived.

sa Linggo, Pacquiao fan ako. after non, back to being a hater.