Me too! I love Al Dente! I kinda noticed that these spaghetti houses are a fad, too bad. They just become the talk of the town upto today and that's it.

I just miss the defunct Al Dente restaurant serving wonderful pasta at an affordable price.  It was located along the Fiesta Carnival in Cubao during the 80's.  It was a formal place where they even serve wine.

I think it was just way before its time.

Yeah I have to agree, MS has created a lot of pasta addicts!  ;)

Masarap talaga dun, kahit nga hamburger steak and toasted bread, even the rest of their menu.  Siguro pinagdaanan na lang ng panahon.

If I remember correctly, Makati Supermarket left the (then) Makati Commercial Center because of a workers' strike. Management just decided to close down. Then they resurfaced in Alabang.

Guest the_eight_of_orbs

MYSO! belinni's is a treasure! right in the heart of Marikina Shoe Expo Cubao. dinadayo namin yan. :)

what is pasta if it's not al dente???? tsssst.

oy, mga pasta addicts na mahilig magluto, i want to share this pasta recipe... real simple to make. you will need

a can of tuna solids in water, drained

six cloves of taiwan garlic, minced

1/4 cup olive oil

3-4 T capers (in vinegar, yung nabibili sa maliit na bote)

1 can of whole peeled or crushed tomatoes (300gm can ata yon)

salt, pepper, sugar(optional) to taste

5-10 fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped, or about 1/2 t of dried basil

keep in mind that all of these measurements are estimates, hindi kasi ako nagsusukat e.

1. saute garlic in olive oil until golden brown

2. mix in the tuna, saute for a few seconds

3. pour in the tomtatoes. mix it up while breaking up the tuna until you're satisfied with how big or small the tuna pieces are, it's entirely up to you

4. add salt and pepper to taste.

5. add sugar if you want. 1-2 teaspoons, bahala ka na.

5. cook over low heat for 5 minutes

6. add the capers and basil(if dried). mix. cook for 30 secs.

7. turn off the fire and add the fresh basil. mix

the sauce is good to go!

this is good for 3-5 servings depende sa appetite ng kumakain. capers are essential to this recipe. don't try this w/o them! i like to use spaghetti -- it's my favorite pasta.

ever tried NICOTINA near foreign affairs in pasay? ambiance is great. pasta is superb. aparrently, nicotina is a way of cooking. or a style. or something. prices are reasonable. try the penne tanigue (penne in creamy smoked tanigue sauce) for a pinoy twist in pasta. the spaghetti nicotina (pasta with parma ham, mascarpone and black olives i think) for the places' namesake. and dont ever forget the penne al granchio (crabmeat and tomato) ang sarap t*ang*na.

pasta lover here and just stumbled upon this thread...

if it's pasta, i'll eat it but i am partial to olive oil and garlic  and pesto.....

has anybody tried the pasta with tuyo flakes in olive oil and garlic and basil leaves from Kitchen? 

and does anybody remember choo choo junction?

A friend has tried it, said it was good, she's not too hot about it...

The simple olive oil and garlic (Aglio Olio) pasta is a classic... mix in some grated parmesan cheese, pwedeng pwede na. It also goes very well with stuff like olives, sun-dried tomatoes, chopped ham, mushrooms, anchovies, etc... it's not a good idea to add too much ingredients, though... I like to keep it simple.

A friend has tried it, said it was good, she's not too hot about it...

The simple olive oil and garlic (Aglio Olio) pasta is a classic... mix in some grated parmesan cheese, pwedeng pwede na. It also goes very well with stuff like olives, sun-dried tomatoes, chopped ham, mushrooms, anchovies, etc... it's not a good idea to add too much ingredients, though... I like to keep it simple.

i agree on the the olive oil in garlic... fact is it can be serve with freshly cooked pasta. sprinkle EVO and minced/chopped garlic, a little salt and pepper (black) some chili pepper and you are ready to go...

it can stand on its own or with roasted chicken, lamb chops, or steak...

gutom na ako!!!! :lol:

i agree on the the olive oil in garlic... fact is it can be serve with freshly cooked pasta.  sprinkle EVO and minced/chopped garlic, a little salt and pepper (black) some chili pepper and you are ready to go...

it can stand on its own or with roasted chicken, lamb chops, or steak... 

gutom na ako!!!! :lol:

i agree. this is the most basic way to prepare pasta and also happens to be my favorite because its so flexible. it can stand on its own or you can add more toppings as you wish but like you said not too much...

actually i prefer to do this myself with olive oil, garlic, finely chopped basil leaves, mushrooms, ham

salt and pepper to taste.

A lot of Pinoys don't appreciate the importance of olive oil in pasta dishes. They just prepare the sauce, cook the pasta, then mix it. But it's the olive oil that makes the difference. Of course, it's quite expensive, especially extra virgin olive oil, but I still think it's indispensable for a pasta dish.

And since we're on recipes and processes...

Just to add to the previous posts, vegetarians can use Betty Crocker's "Bacos" instead of ham. It's available locally. It has a bacon-like flavor, but it's totally non-meat. And it really adds flavor to simple pasta dishes, especially the olive-oil-and-garlic type.

A lot of Pinoys don't appreciate the importance of olive oil in pasta dishes.  They just prepare the sauce, cook the pasta, then mix it.  But it's the olive oil that makes the difference.  Of course, it's quite expensive, especially extra virgin olive oil, but I still think it's indispensable for a pasta dish.

It's ironic because the simple pasta dishes like aglio olio, pesto, or the basic pomodoro sauce originated from the "poor" farm provinces of southern Italy because their cheap and simple to make. Of course, olive oil is available to them locally so it's cheaper. The rich, creamy pasta dishes like risotto come from the more affluent provinces northern Italy.

A lot of Pinoys don't appreciate the importance of olive oil in pasta dishes.  They just prepare the sauce, cook the pasta, then mix it.  But it's the olive oil that makes the difference.  Of course, it's quite expensive, especially extra virgin olive oil, but I still think it's indispensable for a pasta dish.

And since we're on recipes and processes...

Just to add to the previous posts, vegetarians can use Betty Crocker's "Bacos" instead of ham. It's available locally. It has a bacon-like flavor, but it's totally non-meat.  And it really adds flavor to simple pasta dishes, especially the olive-oil-and-garlic type.

i didn't know that bacos is non-meat........

most of us probably prefer extra virgin olive oil but i read somewhere that extra virgin isn't actually recommended for pasta but instead for dressing.....they said virgin olive oil daw was best for pasta....

i didn't know that bacos is non-meat........

Apparently there are other "bacos" in the market, but the Betty Crocker brand is made from soy. When I started using the product, I kept reading the ingredients. There was even a little notice on the label saying that it contained no meat. I've taken it for granted since that the Betty Crocker "Bacos" that I buy is vegetarian.

Hi Wyldchick,

Grabe!  Wala ako masabi sa iyo!  Pasta lover ka talaga!  I first at spaghetti at MS way back when I was still around 7 or 8 years old.  Sinasama ako ng mother ko dun.  I used to study in Chinatown and go all the way to MS in MCC just to eat spaghetti.  Nung nag college na ako, dun pa rin ako pumupunta.  I remember bringing my balikbayan relatives to eat there at MS whenever they wanted to return the favor of being their tourist driver.  :)  Kaya grabe lungkot ko nung kailangan na nila lumipat.

As for the small outlet, yeah (where Venezia now stands) I was aware about that.  But I didn't know about the small stall there at Vito Cruz station!  You are really sharp when it comes to these things!

Yeah I have to agree, MS has created a lot of pasta addicts!  ;)

Maybe we should gather a hundred signatures petitioning Makati Supermarket's return to Ayala Center!  :blink:

Masarap talaga dun, kahit nga hamburger steak and toasted bread, even the rest of their menu.  Siguro pinagdaanan na lang ng panahon.

Snow

I grew up on that stuff! :D We would hear Sunday Mass and right after, we would have lunch in MS....

That small outlet in V Cruz - i found by accident. I was in the University Mall (LOL Memories...) and I stepped out to catch an LRT... and there it was. Didnt last long though. It was apparently owned by a group of ex MS employees.

hahaha that would be great - they served good, wholesome, quite reasonable food. Yun toasted bread nila is toasted on a griddle kse kaya ganon - hindi sya matigas. Tapos, yun Hamburger Steak - nothing compares! :)

Kaka miss no? :)

spaghetti ni manang, with corned beef.

I actually make this - to my basic tomato sauce I add 2 big cans of PALM brand corned beef.

Yum! :D

pasta lover here and just stumbled upon this thread...

if it's pasta, i'll eat it but i am partial to olive oil and garlic  and pesto.....

has anybody tried the pasta with tuyo flakes in olive oil and garlic and basil leaves from Kitchen? 

and does anybody remember choo choo junction?

i remember this one from when i was a kid. i believe sa may cubao area to eh.that's what my mom told me. really don't remember except that the place looks like a train talaga. :)