• 2 weeks later...

And my naivety slapped me hard in the face.

Two of my mutual funds are in the red. Must be the market movement causing it.

Oh well. I'll infuse more funds (buying at lower NAVPS) and will see what direction their performance will head to--hopefully north.

• Like (+1) 1

Oh well. I'll infuse more funds (buying at lower NAVPS) and will see what direction their performance will head to--hopefully north.

You have the right attitude. Investing for the long-term so that when it is down, you are buying at discounts!

Also, I would suggest to compare it from year-ago account balance as opposed to say, last week or last month. That way, almost always, laging gain. Of course, this is only possible pag at least 1-year na yung account LOL.

Another thing I like to do is "booking" only 92% of the account balance. This means hindi ako nag-eexpect na yung buong account ko is hindi na bababa. Kahit ps bumagsak ang market by 8%, break-even lang sa 92% "booked" value. Rare naman bumabagsak for more than 8%, and when it does, aakyat na rin agad. Case in point what happened in end of last year when the market was down and then start of this year up to now, narecover rin 95% of the losses.

• Like (+1) 1

Ako personally with my ETFs, I buy when it's low and still buy when it's high. It will average itself out specially your looking at withdrawing it decades away from now. The short term giration of the market does not matter much, specially for an idexer (Boglehead) like me.

cost averaging investing might help you ride out ups and downs but the trade off is potential for bigger gains

cost averaging investing might help you ride out ups and downs but the trade off is potential for bigger gains

We've been blessed in having the greatest bull run in history. Not a single 30%+ crash since March of 2009. It has been so long that it feels like we will never see any again.

Partay time Forever!!!

We've been blessed in having the greatest bull run in history. Not a single 30%+ crash since March of 2009. It has been so long that it feels like we will never see any again.

Partay time Forever!!!

This reminds me of the wolf of wall street movie. Don't know if I should watch it, I might get sad when I see how fund staff makes money even if our investments lose haha!

This reminds me of the wolf of wall street movie. Don't know if I should watch it, I might get sad when I see how fund staff makes money even if our investments lose haha!

The Wolf of Wall Street scams people by misrepresenting the penny stocks they are selling by fabricating huge future gains. No market research, no analysis. Illegal, crime. Hence, the jail. I'd recommend to watch it still to see Margot Robbie LOL.

Sure they had Partay Time but it's not Forever.

The reality is much better. This Partay Time is Forever!

Even with the recent 2.5% drop from the top, we are still very much near the top. Last Christmas, the market was getting close to 20% drop but I didn't really believe it is going to continue going down so I was enjoying the ride instead as stock go on discount. I will worry when we hit 30%+ drop but highly unlikely.

What is happening is slow growth. For example, the market is basically flat from the highs on 26th of January 2018. That is 15 months of consolidation of cash! Which means when market starts going down 10%, 20% these cash hoarders will jump back in and bring it back to even new highs!

So as long as one can ignore the daily fluctuations in the market and just continue buying at regular intervals (AKA cost averaging), it is almost a Risk-Free gig we got going here. :)

• Like (+1) 1

The Wolf of Wall Street scams people by misrepresenting the penny stocks they are selling by fabricating huge future gains. No market research, no analysis. Illegal, crime. Hence, the jail. I'd recommend to watch it still to see Margot Robbie LOL.

Sure they had Partay Time but it's not Forever.

The reality is much better. This Partay Time is Forever!

Even with the recent 2.5% drop from the top, we are still very much near the top. Last Christmas, the market was getting close to 20% drop but I didn't really believe it is going to continue going down so I was enjoying the ride instead as stock go on discount. I will worry when we hit 30%+ drop but highly unlikely.

What is happening is slow growth. For example, the market is basically flat from the highs on 26th of January 2018. That is 15 months of consolidation of cash! Which means when market starts going down 10%, 20% these cash hoarders will jump back in and bring it back to even new highs!

So as long as one can ignore the daily fluctuations in the market and just continue buying at regular intervals (AKA cost averaging), it is almost a Risk-Free gig we got going here. :)

This is what i do, i just add new ETFs shares every month (cost averaging) irrespective of the market going up or down.

I have $14k at my savings account ready to be deployed. Hinintay ko lng pagpasok ng sweldo sa akinse pra madeploy ko na to (transfer to my brokerage account to buy my favorite ETFs).

• Like (+1) 1

Nasan na kaya mga dating posters dito sa thread circa 2005 to 2015? Laki na siguro ipon nila now.

How i wish financially literate na ako nung 2005 pa lng (nsa Pinas pko nyan). Nag start lng ako mag invest August 2011 when i bought my first shares. Pero syempre wla na tyo magagawa sa nkaraan, we need to focus on the "now" and make sure our present self will not rob our future self of financial independence.

Ganda ng sipa ng ASX mo parekoy. Sayang di available XOJ sa akin.

Yep, tumaas nga after the election. This year, my net worth is up $100k (unrealized of course since buy and hold and strategy ko). Solid return so far. But since nsa accumulation stage p lng ako, i would be more than happy when the market is down than up. As long as i have a job, i dont mind another GFC.
  • Like (+1) 1