Masi, could you elaborate further on deglazing the pan with wine?  Been wanting to learn how to make an 'au jus' and a wine sauce, but can't find any decent recipes.

Pare, just to remind you, my knowledge in the kitchen is more "guts" than anything else, here it goes.

I "deglazed" my searing pan (mine has elevated portions to resemble a grill, so I get those "grill-stripes") to catch the tailings of the steak (which were prepped with salt, pepper and a dash of olive oil). I simply put in 1 1/2 to 2 glasses of wine which I would be consuming that night. (Remember the addage, don't cook with wine you can't drink!). Throw in a few aromatics like finely chopped garlic, onions (some, herbs like rosemary) salt, pepper and worcestershire sauce. I haven't ventured to adding cream but I know it would greatly thicken and lighten the sauce and make it milder!

Reduce the mixture. This would ensure all the alcohol in the wine would evaporate! This effectively is my version of deglazing! :lol: (Evaporation takes place once the wine is poured on the pan, you would see the wine bubbling and the aroma leaving the pan is immense!)

Now if you have time, you can put everything in a blender or use a hand blender (this I don't have!) and puree the sauce. Pour the sauce on your steak!

I hope this works for you as much as it does for me!!!

(P.S. 1 thing I noticed, by using the wine you drink when you cook gives a "seamless" flavor between the steak and your drink!!! After searing the steak both sides, maybe 1 to 1.5minutes per side, I put the pan in the oven, preheated at 180-degrees for 2 minutes for medium, 3 minutes for medium well. This gives time for the steak to rest and sweat! Or so, I noticed! :blink: )

HAPPY NEW YEAR to All !!!!!

bods!!! masi!!! i'm in mnl until jan. 10. i have a list of wines to try, sobrang dami, patulong ako, hehehe.

i have one haven's syrah that's really unusual, because of the price siguro. i also got a spanish grenache (garnatxa), tama ba? some of the usual napa valley-bourdeux blends, a case of caymus-from spain din.

Forgot to share notes on the LP Grand Siecle cracked for the 2006 toast:

http://tinypic.com/j7t1ms.jpg

Definite 'nuts n' honey' aromas on the nose, followed by a finely-beaded fizz containing berry overtones. Quite nice, I'd highly recommend for those special occasions that warrant something a bit more than a "table" bubbly.

Hope everyone had a great New Years celebration!

Cheers! :thumbsupsmiley:

Pare, just to remind you, my knowledge in the kitchen is more "guts" than anything else, here it goes.

I "deglazed" my searing pan (mine has elevated portions to resemble a grill, so I get those "grill-stripes") to catch the tailings of the steak (which were prepped with salt, pepper and a dash of olive oil).  I simply put in 1 1/2 to 2 glasses of wine which I would be consuming that night.  (Remember the addage, don't cook with wine you can't drink!).  Throw in a few aromatics like finely chopped garlic, onions (some, herbs like rosemary) salt, pepper and worcestershire sauce.  I haven't ventured to adding cream but I know it would greatly thicken and lighten the sauce and make it milder!

Reduce the mixture.  This would ensure  all the alcohol in the wine would evaporate!  This effectively is my version of deglazing! :lol: (Evaporation takes place once the wine is poured on the pan, you would see the wine bubbling and the aroma leaving the pan is immense!)

Now if you have time, you can put everything in a blender or use a hand blender (this I don't have!)  and puree the sauce.  Pour the sauce on your steak!

I hope this works for you as much as it does for me!!!

(P.S.  1 thing I noticed, by using the wine you drink when you cook  gives a "seamless" flavor between the steak and your drink!!!  After searing the steak both sides, maybe 1 to 1.5minutes per side, I put the pan in the oven, preheated at 180-degrees for 2  minutes for medium, 3 minutes for medium well.  This gives time for the steak to rest and sweat! Or so, I noticed! :blink: )

Thanks, Masi!

I usually make gravy by deglazing just by boiling the drippings and scrape the bottom of the pan, then add flour to make a paste. Then gradually add water to turn the 'soften' the paste then start adding spices and flavorings (worcestershire, etc), and then ad cream or milk. Then let it simmer (not boil!) to thicken the gravy (reduce ba yun correct term?).

I tried adding wine before, but it reacted with the milk and curdled the, uhh, thing (can't call it gravy anymore). Haven't tried putting the wine first, let the alcohol evaporate, then add the milk or cream. But if there's alcohol left in the pan, it might curdle the milk.

Your sear and bake style is almost similar to Morton's of Chicago's style!

What I usually do for those guests who go for the well done steaks (those who don't like to taste anything 'pink') is to cook the steak the same way as medium, then cook it in the microwave for 30 secs to 1 minute, just to cook the juices from inside without drying the steak. It comes out as soft as a medium, but without the 'pink' color.

Thanks, Masi!

I usually make gravy by deglazing just by boiling the drippings and scrape the bottom of the pan, then add flour to make a paste.  Then gradually add water to turn the 'soften' the paste then start adding spices and flavorings (worcestershire, etc), and then ad cream or milk.  Then let it simmer (not boil!) to thicken the gravy (reduce ba yun correct term?).

I tried adding wine before, but it reacted with the milk and curdled the, uhh, thing (can't call it gravy anymore).  Haven't tried putting the wine first, let the alcohol evaporate, then add the milk or cream.  But if there's alcohol left in the pan, it might curdle the milk.

Your sear and bake style is almost similar to Morton's of Chicago's style!

What I usually do for those guests who go for the well done steaks (those who don't like to taste anything 'pink') is to cook the steak the same way as medium, then cook it in the microwave for 30 secs to 1 minute, just to cook the juices from inside without drying the steak.  It comes out as soft as a medium, but without the 'pink' color.

Great inputs, FD! I haven't tried using cream but you are right, it would be best to put it after the alcohol in the wine would have completely evaporated. When you put the wine first you would know it would be evaporating because of the "searing" and bubbling you would see in the pan. The flavors of the wine would be immense at this point!!! But be careful especially if you are cooking with high alcohol wines as you might get a "flash fire" as you're on mid to high flame!

You may want to try to remove the pan from the flame when you add the cream or milk. I remember my mother told me that milk/cream curdles on a hot pan. You may also want to lower the flame once you are mixed the cream or milk.

Pare, I only bake the steaks after I saw it being done in Lifestyle channel. Most chefs, Emeril, Batali, Puck, Flay, Tsai, Tyler, etc. would merely use the pan to sear meat (steaks, fish, poultry etc) then they toss that pan in the oven (need to remind you that you need a metal handle pan to do this! :) )

Yup most Filipinos can't stand the sight of bloody red meat but lucky for me, our household prefers it medium to medium well.

I completely thaw my steaks before cooking them, now. But there was a time that I would throw a completely frozen steak to the grill!!!!!! I think this is a matter of preference and time (if you have time to thaw otherwise a frozen steak will be abit quite longer to cook!)

Likewise, the microwave is the fastest way to get the "red" out in steaks. I do that too for my guest, but with a frown! :boo:

Any uneaten steak the day after would be sliced into bite size cubes and thrown in a pan with olive oil, garlic. Add salt, pepper and worcestershire sauce then I would have my "salpicao"!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Yup most Filipinos can't stand the sight of bloody red meat but lucky for me, our household prefers it medium to medium well. 

I completely thaw my steaks before cooking them, now.  But there was a time that I would throw a completely frozen steak to the grill!!!!!!  I think this is a matter of preference and time (if you have time to thaw otherwise a frozen steak will be abit quite longer to cook!)

Likewise, the microwave is the fastest way to get the "red" out in steaks.  I do that too for my guest, but with a frown! :boo:

Any uneaten steak the day after would be sliced into bite size cubes and thrown in a pan with olive oil, garlic.  Add salt, pepper and worcestershire sauce then I would have my "salpicao"!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Hehehe. :D I usually ask those who request their steak "well done" if they want it extra crispy, too!

Yes, thawing the steak before cooking makes a big difference, unless you like it well done on the outside and rare on the inside. :sick:

Next day Salpicao is also a staple in our place! I'm still trying to get the garlic right - whole garlic that is crisp on the outside but melts in your mouth on the inside. Mingoy's does their salpicao this way.

Para hindi OT: Went to a wedding last week. The toasting drink was Asti. Sweet, hints of vanilla, light flavors.

Hehehe.   :D  I usually ask those who request their steak "well done" if they want it extra crispy, too!

Yes, thawing the steak before cooking makes a big difference, unless you like it well done on the outside and rare on the inside.  :sick:

Next day Salpicao is also a staple in our place!  I'm still trying to get the garlic right - whole garlic that is crisp on the outside but melts in your mouth on the inside.  Mingoy's does their salpicao this way.

Para hindi OT:  Went to a wedding last week.  The toasting drink was Asti.  Sweet, hints of vanilla, light flavors.

HAHAHA!!!! I cant imagine why people like their steaks well done unless they are testing the strength of their teeth and gums!!!! :boo: Done steaks are tough, tasteless, juiceless. :grr: Oh well, different strokes for different folks, I guess!!!! B)

I once grilled a steak that was half-thawed and since it was in that state, I grilled it a bit longer and then transferred it to a baking pan and went to the oven. When I ate it, it had a crusty, chewy surface, and pink, juicy center. :wub: Just the way, it should be!

Pareng FD, I also noticed that freshly gound pepper (either by mortar or by pepper mill) tastes better than bottled coursely ground. :thumbsupsmiley:

Try sparkling shiraz or sparkling white shiraz! The latter, I have yet to try!

Now can someone tell me if a Pinot Noir Chardonnay is a bubbly. The bottle and foil are like that of a sparkling - long, crumpled and you can feel the wire under the foil!

Edited by masi

the silent reader and follower here...

first...HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone!!! Wishing each of you more success this year.

second .. AGXO...i can't help but tell you how fantastic your kitchen is. Inggit naman ako sa kitchen nyo...wish wish.....

third ... STORM ...i've seen the sculptures you are making in another thread...You are the MAN!!! hmm will send you pm to inquire more of it...

fourth... MASI ... happy new year to you and the family. i am learning so much in your contribution about wines..though i can't appreciate much coz i am no drinker...oh well...

fifth ... LIPSTICK.... you seem to be soo cool..would like to meet you someday...continue the posts...i am enjoying reading your thoughts and i am learning...

to the rest...enjoy and it is fun to see your exchanges here.

first...HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone!!! Wishing each of you more success this year.

second .. AGXO...i can't help but tell you how fantastic your kitchen is. Inggit naman ako sa kitchen nyo...wish wish.....

third ... STORM ...i've seen the sculptures you are making in another thread...You are the MAN!!! hmm will send you pm to inquire more of it...

fourth... MASI ... happy new year to you and the family. i am learning so much in your contribution about wines..though i can't appreciate much coz i am no drinker...oh well...

fifth ... LIPSTICK.... you seem to be soo cool..would like to meet you someday...continue the posts...i am enjoying reading your thoughts and i am learning...

Hi HBC, Happy New Year!!!!

Drinker or non-drinker, everyone is welcome!

Pareng FD, I also noticed that freshly gound pepper (either by mortar or by pepper mill) tastes better than bottled coursely ground.  :thumbsupsmiley:

Of course! Nothing beats freshness in cooking! I stopped buying ground pepper a few years back and got a nice pepper mill. It's just murder on the wrists when preparing a 4 kg. roast! :wacko:

Looking forward to setting up a small herb patch so no need to buy bottled oregano, basil, thyme and bay. (You can get them in small pots at SM, BTW)

Con Gas Chardonnay and Pinot Noir? Definitely have to try it! Where can one find such wines? Wine Depot?

Of course!  Nothing beats freshness in cooking!  I stopped buying ground pepper a few years back and got a nice pepper mill.  It's just murder on the wrists when preparing a 4 kg. roast!  :wacko:

Looking forward to setting up a small herb patch so no need to buy bottled oregano, basil, thyme and bay.  (You can get them in small pots at SM, BTW)

Con Gas Chardonnay and Pinot Noir?  Definitely have to try it!  Where can one find such wines?  Wine Depot?

Wine Depot has Banrock Station Pinot Noir/Chardonnay and that sparkling shiraz (which i tried last Christmas!). I saw in a cooking blog a picture of Banrock Station Sparkling White Shiraz. I am pretty sure Wine Depot was the source. Ought to give them a visit this weekend. Bods and I tried the White Shiraz before, but not the sparkling variety. The 2005 was strawberry flavored all over while the 2003 was pomelo!

I might as well try a dry roast next time. My roasts are "wet" , ie., i pour a few cans of Campbells Cream of Mushroom on a roasting pan with a "beef chuck" add potato, carrots, onions, salt and pepper.

I've seen a show of Wolfgang Puck where he sear/panfried the topside (which was prepped with loads of crushed pepper, salt, herbs) of the roast by putting the roasting pan on the stove. Once it was seared the same roasting pan was placed in the oven. After roasting, and the meat was "resting", the pan was placed back on the stove for deglazing with wine and cream.

I have a small patch of onions, ginger, lemon grass. Been wanting to grow some basil, thyme, oregano, dill, rosemary, mint (for those mojitos) and dill.

Welcome din! Thanks for the appreciation. I have an upcoming show next month. Lots of wine at the opening.

Wine Depot has Banrock Station Pinot Noir/Chardonnay and that sparkling shiraz (which i tried last Christmas!).  I saw in a cooking blog a picture of Banrock Station Sparkling White Shiraz.  I am pretty sure Wine Depot was the source.  Ought to give them a visit  this weekend.  Bods and I tried the White Shiraz before, but not the sparkling variety.  The 2005 was strawberry flavored all over while the 2003 was pomelo!

I might as well try a dry roast next time.  My roasts are "wet" , ie., i pour a few cans of Campbells Cream of Mushroom on a roasting pan with a "beef chuck" add potato, carrots, onions, salt and pepper. 

I've seen a show of Wolfgang Puck where he sear/panfried the topside (which was prepped with loads of crushed pepper, salt, herbs) of the roast by putting the roasting pan on the stove. Once it was seared the same roasting pan was placed in the oven.  After roasting,  and the meat was "resting", the pan was placed back on the stove for deglazing with wine and cream.

I have a small patch of onions, ginger, lemon grass.  Been wanting to grow some basil, thyme, oregano, dill, rosemary, mint (for those mojitos) and dill.

Flavored Shiraz - intriguing!

I think I also saw that Wolfgang Puck show. Was that when he catered the Oscars several years ago? He did the same thing, but it was for a thousand people. He had a wall of ovens and a staff of hundreds doing the same thing! I was impressed how they got the food consistent and served at the proper temp for such a large party.

Happy New Year, HBC! Thanks - it's been a lot of fun since we got the makeover.

Did a New Years' Eve dinner with a couple of friends - seared scallops, asparagus, pargianno/mushroom tortellini in a cream sauce, sauteed mushrooms and olive bread. A really rich chardonnay from Kendall-Jackson (!!!! 2000 Special Reserve) to go with it.

Seared the scallops on (very) high heat (thank goodness for those 15,000 BTU burners!), then deglazed the pan with a cup of the chardonnay, added some lemon, some coarsely chopped chives and finished with some butter. :cool:

In the meantime, the wife:

-steamed the asparagus and finished it with butter. She added some black truffle to the cream sauce for the tortellini then finished with some white truffle oil.

Then, I sauteed the mushrooms (a combination of chanterelles, creminis and king oysters) over (very) high heat in butter and olive oil and sprinkled some truffle-infused sea salt over it to finish.

All in all - wow! I was so impressed with the dinner I could hardly believe that we put that together ourselves!

The wine was the K-J chardonnay. A bit "California"n for my preference - rich, unctuous, oaky, "vanilla/butter/toast"-y. Nice acidity, with lemon, melon and a hint of peach. Very nice, and great if I were a fan of the CA style.

A great way to end the old year and set the stage for the new.

HAHAHA!!!! I cant imagine why people like their steaks well done unless they are testing the strength of their teeth and gums!!!! :boo:  Done steaks are tough, tasteless, juiceless.  :grr:  Oh well, different strokes for different folks, I guess!!!! B)

I once grilled a steak that was half-thawed and since it was in that state, I grilled it a bit longer and then transferred it to a baking pan and went to the oven.  When I ate it, it had a crusty, chewy surface, and pink, juicy center.  :wub: Just the way, it should be!

Pareng FD, I also noticed that freshly gound pepper (either by mortar or by pepper mill) tastes better than bottled coursely ground.  :thumbsupsmiley:

Try sparkling shiraz or sparkling white shiraz!  The latter, I have yet to try! 

Now can someone tell me if a Pinot Noir Chardonnay is a bubbly.  The bottle and  foil are like that of a sparkling  - long, crumpled and you can feel the wire under the foil!

My wife's a "well-done" sorta gal - she doesn't like the sight of pink meat and blood in the juices. The good news is roasts usually end up with well-done ends and a pink, juicy middle. So she gets the ends, and I get the nicely medium middle! :) But well-done doesn't have to be dry and leathery - if you time it just right, you can pull the roast (or the steak) before it loses all the pink. The meat will continue to cook while you let it stand to re-absorb the juices, and you then end up with well-done but still juicy steaks!

Fresh-groupd pepper, and fresh-chopped herbs, are the really the best way to go for maximum flavor! I keep a pepper mill by the side of the stove, the better to have it within reach at all times. And when I need a LOT, like for my prime rib, then I put some in a plastic baggie, break out the ol' hammer and whack away! Therapeutic, and effective, too!

Sparkling shiraz - odd wine, intriguing. Red, but bubbly. Is it red, or is it bubbly? The answer is - yes! A mind-bending experience. And a Pinot Noir Chardonnay??? Is that a new grape varietal? :lol: Most bubblies from the Champagne region are with chardonnay (blanc du blanc) or pinot noir (blanc du noir). Some producers will blend the two. Perhaps that's what you have???

Wine Depot has Banrock Station Pinot Noir/Chardonnay and that sparkling shiraz (which i tried last Christmas!).  I saw in a cooking blog a picture of Banrock Station Sparkling White Shiraz.  I am pretty sure Wine Depot was the source.  Ought to give them a visit  this weekend.  Bods and I tried the White Shiraz before, but not the sparkling variety.  The 2005 was strawberry flavored all over while the 2003 was pomelo!

I might as well try a dry roast next time.  My roasts are "wet" , ie., i pour a few cans of Campbells Cream of Mushroom on a roasting pan with a "beef chuck" add potato, carrots, onions, salt and pepper. 

I've seen a show of Wolfgang Puck where he sear/panfried the topside (which was prepped with loads of crushed pepper, salt, herbs) of the roast by putting the roasting pan on the stove. Once it was seared the same roasting pan was placed in the oven.  After roasting,  and the meat was "resting", the pan was placed back on the stove for deglazing with wine and cream.

I have a small patch of onions, ginger, lemon grass.  Been wanting to grow some basil, thyme, oregano, dill, rosemary, mint (for those mojitos) and dill.

A "wet" roast is, to me, more like a pot roast. I do dry roast, mostly prime rib, which I've now done both in the oven and on the grill. Make a crust by mashing sea salt, freshly-shredded horseradish, fresh-ground black pepper, rosemary and sage, bound together with some olive oil and spreading the mixture over the WHOLE roast. Roast bone-side down, 20 min/lb for medium-rare (375 deg F). Let rest for 10-15 min before removing the bone (lots of flavor in that! great for pulutan!) and slicing half-inch thick for serving.

Then all you need to do is break out the cab or the zin (or maybe even the shiraz)! :)

And one of these days I need to try that white shiraz. First, of course, I have to find it somewhere here! Eagleyes, N2DB - any ideas?

Flavored Shiraz - intriguing!

I think I also saw that Wolfgang Puck show.  Was that when he catered the Oscars several years ago?  He did the same thing, but it was for a thousand people.  He had a wall of ovens and a staff of hundreds doing the same thing!  I was impressed how they got the food consistent and served at the proper temp for such a large party.

It never cease to amaze me to watch chefs at work just like in Iron Chef America!!!! Wish I could do even just the slicing!

The W. Puck prime rib/roast beef feature I saw was on his show. There was a docu on DWE (German TV) on a dinner-benefit event which featured Germany's top chefs. The docu showed how they rented a mobile kitchem (several trailers and vans), how they organized the kitchen, delivered and stored the ingredients, how the prepared each and every plate. SIMPLY AWESOME!!!!

FD, if you are not a chef as we write, well, just like me we're both on wrong careers!!! :lol: :boo:

Fresh-groupd pepper...

.... then I put some in a plastic baggie, break out the ol' hammer and whack away! Therapeutic, and effective, too!

Haha!!!! Call it releasing angst!

Sparkling shiraz - odd wine, intriguing. Red, but bubbly. Is it red, or is it bubbly? The answer is - yes! A mind-bending experience. And a Pinot Noir Chardonnay??? Is that a new grape varietal? :lol: Most bubblies from the Champagne region are with chardonnay (blanc du blanc) or pinot noir (blanc du noir). Some producers will blend the two. Perhaps that's what you have???

And one of these days I need to try that white shiraz. First, of course, I have to find it somewhere here! Eagleyes, N2DB - any ideas?

When you're in Manila, I'll take you to Wine Depot for that Sparkling Shiraz, White Shiraz and Sparkling White Shiraz!

The Pinot Noir Chardonnay I have is from Australia. Also, m brother brought home a bottle of bubbly from Burgundy (the name just escapes me now). Wouldn't that be a pinot noit chardonnay, as well, considering that the Burgundy region produces both grapes in abundance?

Haha!!!! Call it releasing angst! 

When you're in Manila, I'll take you to Wine Depot for that Sparkling Shiraz, White Shiraz and Sparkling White Shiraz!

The Pinot Noir Chardonnay I have is from Australia.  Also, m brother brought home a bottle of bubbly from Burgundy (the name just escapes me now).  Wouldn't that be a pinot noit chardonnay, as well, considering that the Burgundy region produces both grapes in abundance?

Arriving Feb. 6, leaving for Baguio Feb. 8. Back to Manila Feb. 13, out to Cebu Feb. 17, over to HK the 17th, back to SFO the 19th!!!! Busy enough for ya? :blink: Busy the whole time, not a day free!!! :angry: Next time I'll stay in Makati 4 whole days! THEN we can go food and wine tasting each night! :P

In the mean time - the bubbly from Burgundy? No idea what that would be, but as you point out, Burgundy produces mostly pinot noir and chardonnay, and in bountiful quantities. So THAT's no help! You sure it's from Burgundy and not Champagne? Not aware of any bubblies from Burgundy but I'll do a search to see what I turn up. Champagne is just north of Burgundy (took me no more than two hours to make the drive from the southern end of Champagne to the northern tip of Burgundy).

Arriving Feb. 6, leaving for Baguio Feb. 8. Back to Manila Feb. 13, out to Cebu Feb. 17, over to HK the 17th, back to SFO the 19th!!!! Busy enough for ya?  :blink:  Busy the whole time, not a day free!!!  :angry:  Next time I'll stay in Makati 4 whole days! THEN we can go food and wine tasting each night!  :P

In the mean time - the bubbly from Burgundy? No idea what that would be, but as you point out, Burgundy produces mostly pinot noir and chardonnay, and in bountiful quantities. So THAT's no help! You sure it's from Burgundy and not Champagne? Not aware of any bubblies from Burgundy but I'll do a search to see what I turn up. Champagne is just north of Burgundy (took me no more than two hours to make the drive from the southern end of Champagne to the northern tip of Burgundy).

Ain't the Internet a wonderful thang? Seek and thou shalt find!

check this out -

http://www.wineloverspage.com/wineadvisor1/tswa031212.phtml

Cremant! Now I gotta go find some of this stuff.........quick! Drink it now and post your tasting notes! FR! FR! FR!

I miss so much by not being there!!

Oh, well, such is life.....

But yes! Next time I'm out there, it will be one great evening of food and drink! Get that kitchen ready, Masi!

The 4th was eminently forgettable and will not be mentioned in civilized company again!

:blink:

I think it is us who miss so much by you not being here Mr. Agxo3! :lol: Looks like we all had our share of LEMONS this season.

Just a little additional information regarding the difference between Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon:

Both wines are full-flavored, structured, and generally oak-aged. Flavor-wise, a Shiraz from Australia is typically expressive of darker fruit flavors (plums, prunes, blue and blackberries) with a a distinct black pepper spiciness. Grown in the Northern Rhone Valley of France, it has the added flavor profile reminiscent of leather and earth. Plus, the wine tends to be sutler in its fruit expression, higher in acidity, and tannic structure. All other Syrah/Shiraz variations owing to the different areas where the grape is grown will fall in between these two general flavor profiles.

Cabernet Sauvignon is typically identified by its tell-tale aromas and flavors of blackcurrant and/or cassis. The spiciness- more licorice and cedar than black pepper- is not an innate character, rather it is imparted by the oak aging.

Hello choc n' port! Love your posts (yes the few early ones included), hoping to see you often in this thread :)

Hi Lipstick!!! Yeah, we really missed that night! We had a family dinner as my brother and his spouse got in from NYC.  But to save the evening, we met Bods and Storm at midnight.  Surely, I would love to try Cyrano's.  I've been planning that for ages but end up falling short!

Well, fast forward, New Year's Eve was ushered in with a Riddoch 2002 Shiraz Coonawara, nothing of the bubbly as I was still resting a BOLD hangover over Johhny Black which was with me til noon of the 31st!!!!  :boo:

Truly deep red, near black color, nose was bold, cocoa, some dark berries, and a peppery oak which was pretty dominant but not overpowering.  Body was mid to heavy with a rich heavy follow thru of peppery spice.  Went well with some steaks I pan-grilled and used the same bottle of shiraz to "de-glaze" the pan for the steaksauce!    The shiraz also went well with the spiciness of the Amatricianna sauce I prepared for a pasta dish!

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Here's to another year of good wines and great people!

We must Cyrano!! I've got another boite of that Ventisquero Grey and saving it for when we all get together again.

I spent the New Year with a bad allergy attack caused by a bee sting. Was rushed to the ER and pumped with steroids and antihistamines. :wacko: Was swollen and sober throughout the NYE celeb. I also had to stay away from my fave food --- SEAFOOD!! :angry: Talk about feeling sooooo deprived :cry:

Hehehe.  I'm only good for two glasses - after that, I can't tell red from white! hehehe.  Sayang naman kung maging suka lang sa ref - pangpasarap na lang ng spaghetti!

Christmas and New Year were so so in terms of wine, but had fun experimenting with food.

Speaking of Hardy's, we also had a Hardy's Nottage Hill Shiraz - it was peppery.  Just can't get the hang of drinking Shiraz.  We followed it with a Wyndham Estate Bin 444 Cab Sauv 2002 - way better than the Hardy's, but seem young.

Just discovered that the humble leche flan tastes fantastic with a little cointreau drizzled on top prior to serving!  Try it next time.

Masi, could you elaborate further on deglazing the pan with wine?  Been wanting to learn how to make an 'au jus' and a wine sauce, but can't find any decent recipes.

Haha FD. Ohhh cointreau ... yummmmmmmm.

Ms HBC! Happy New Dear to you! :* Am praying that you would shed your timidness and join us one time! I promise not to force you to drink any alcohol. :lol: And as a bait, I promise to bring some of that yummy Vargas Kitchen Buttercake if you show up!

Que ssssaaaassssarrraaaaapppp naman ng mga nabasa ko.  :thumbsupsmiley:

Keep it up guys. I volunteer as a "tagatikim". :P

Haha ako din sa camp ni Pareng Storm ... tagatikim din lang!

Arriving Feb. 6, leaving for Baguio Feb. 8. Back to Manila Feb. 13, out to Cebu Feb. 17, over to HK the 17th, back to SFO the 19th!!!! Busy enough for ya?  :blink:  Busy the whole time, not a day free!!!  :angry:  Next time I'll stay in Makati 4 whole days! THEN we can go food and wine tasting each night!  :P

Wahoooo!!! Good news!!! :lol: Ready to cook for us chief????? Your post with the scallops made my mouth literally water. :boo:

Arriving Feb. 6, leaving for Baguio Feb. 8. Back to Manila Feb. 13, out to Cebu Feb. 17, over to HK the 17th, back to SFO the 19th!!!! Busy enough for ya?  :blink:  Busy the whole time, not a day free!!!  :angry:  :P

Uuuuuhhhhh!!!???? :blink: Could you run that by me, one more time. I feel "lost baggage" somehow!!!! :lol:

Ain't the Internet a wonderful thang? Seek and thou shalt find!

check this out -

http://www.wineloverspage.com/wineadvisor1/tswa031212.phtml

Cremant! Now I gotta go find some of this stuff.........quick! Drink it now and post your tasting notes! FR! FR! FR!

Here's a photo of the label.

Que ssssaaaassssarrraaaaapppp naman ng mga nabasa ko.  :thumbsupsmiley:

Keep it up guys. I volunteer as a "tagatikim". :P

hmmm... ako din pwede pa volunteer? since i can't appreciate wine like you guys and gals do...i can definitely appreciate good food! :boo:

Haha FD.  Ohhh cointreau ... yummmmmmmm.

Ms HBC!  Happy New Dear to you! :*  Am praying that you would shed your timidness and join us one time!  I promise not to force you to drink any alcohol. :lol:  And as a bait, I promise to bring some of that yummy Vargas Kitchen Buttercake if you show up!

Haha ako din sa camp ni Pareng Storm ... tagatikim din lang!

Wahoooo!!!  Good news!!! :lol:  Ready to cook for us chief?????  Your post with the scallops made my mouth literally water.  :boo:

wow madame lipstick..i am so thrilled by your wish and offer. :) will gain more guts to join you guys ;) will keep myself posted in this thread..who knows..i might just pop in one of your ebs... :) thanks gain! mwah :*

Edited by heavygatin_but_cutie