just tried to do some back readin'..

i guess i could spent more time in this thread. curious lang 'bout wines. since may mga wines sa bahay, most of them we're already open. i opened them para ma taste ko, kaso yung iba hindi ko talga magustuhan yun lasa, or maybe hindi pa ako sanay.

i tried some wines but i prefer white zinfandel though. i may not know them well, but i like 'em.. :P

:mtc:

For me nothing beats the italian wine

like the red & white wine of bellavista, montalcino,sanc valentin, montepulciano.

Chianti riserva ang masarap para sa akin...

Hi spumante, welcome to the thread. Long before I had my conversion moment, I fancied the Farnesse Montepulciano -- it was about the only red I could drink without wincing much from the tannins. :lol:

I had a nice Cantina Leonardo Brunello di Montalcino a couple of months back and I gotta say, Italian wines like any old world wine are generally dependable in the sense that you know you'll get a good drop. It's almost like coming home to a good homecooked meal --- you know what to expect and you know it will be good. But alas I've got an adventurous palate so when looking for something racy I try the new world ones. But it's all good. :cool:

Hope to see you post more reviews in the thread. :)

just tried to do some back readin'..

i guess i could spent more time in this thread. curious lang 'bout wines. since may mga wines sa bahay, most of them we're already open. i opened them para ma taste ko, kaso yung iba hindi ko talga magustuhan yun lasa, or maybe hindi pa ako sanay.

i tried some wines but i prefer white zinfandel though. i may not know them well, but i like 'em.. :P

Hey there Autopimp! Welcome to the thread! :D Yes, do spend more time here and share your wine stories with us. We'd love to hear them.

Cheers!

p.s. Zins are lovely! And I am like you --- I don't know my wines well, I just know the ones I like. hehe.

wow!

that was one heck of a wine marathon last night :P  grabe yun ah - at saka ngayon lang ako nakaranas magpalipat-lipat ng venue to drink wine hehehe.....

ok...here goes: one NZ sauvignon blanc and one Aussie dry verdelho plus tons of sushi at a resto, an Aussie shiraz at the next venue, then the main event and showstopper California cab and a port at the last venue...

pareng storm and the missus - thanks a lot for the hospitality you showed for the lightning and impromptu WEB at your residence-cum-art gallery again..

pareng butch and ms. liberty - you never really get tired of us and those verrrrry verrrry late nights - thank you so much!!!!

pareng agxo - finally THE MAN! Pare words would never suffice to describe how we felt to have finally met you and to think that you barely had a rest since touching down here....thanks so much for the Niebaum-Coppola - it was all and more than we expected it - finally tasted the divine nectarine which we only read before from your posts. Thanks a lot, pare - I hope we see each other again soon and have a very nice trip!

to the divine Ms. L - so sorry we had to drag you out of bed but despite all the wines and food we had, the marathon would not have been complete without your presence which we miss so much...thanks a lot and we hope the winos would see you more often...

the wine reviews I leave to the experts agxo and masi because all I can say is that I enjoyed all of them because they are all first-rate and truly magnificent!

cheers!

Have a happy weekend all!

Kanina rippling charm .... ngayon DIVINE naman! I feel like a spectre!! :lol: Bods my friend, I am not surprised that you get yourself into compromising situations here on the board because of that oh so suave tongue of yours! :boo:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Hehe sorry just had to make that hirit! at natawa ako sa sarili kong hirit. Hahahahahahahahaha.

Kidding aside, no apologies needed. Am glad I resisted Mr. Sandman who was trying to breakdown my door! :lol: In fact I should be thanking you guys for insisting and being persistent because I enjoyed the night este morning so much and if anyone benefited from getting my fat ass dragged out of bed it would be no one but me! So again thank you thank you thank you to you, Masi and Mr. Agxo3 for being so damn obstinate about getting me out of the house. :)

At itutuloy ko na rin ang aking pagka Monologue Kwin .....

Masi and beautiful better half Liberty, thank you again for opening your lovely home to us (pati na rin wine collection at kitchen! haha). Each invitation really is always a treat! I know I've said this before but I so enjoy watching you two together .... reminds me of how good love should be between two people. ;)

Mr. Agxo3! So honored to finally meet you! And moreso priviliged to share that drop of Jove's nectar you brought with the rest of the Wino! Thank you for lugging that bottle all the way from SFO. Don't foget to post photos of your remodeled kitchen para may ending yung mala telenovelang kwento on it. :P

Mr. and Mrs Storm! Always such a pleasure to chat with you two --- from art to music (hehe eh 80s kid tayo eh) to work to buhay buhay! Am looking forward to seeing your art gallery home soon! And pareng Storm, ehem yung gusto kong bilhin.... pa pm ang presyo para mapagipunan ko na! :lol:

Like Bods, I'm going to leave the tasting notes of the 1995 Coppola CabSav to the experts. All I can say about my experience with this heavenly drop is: once in the mouth it's as if its long legs had grown little feet -- a million tiny feet running wild on your tongue, tickling it delightfully while gathering in a circle. Once in their perfect formation, these little feet stand still for a moment before jumping high up and float to your palate, embracing it with a blanket of velvet dreams. Ayan ang ecstatic oral experience ko when I drank it kaya quiet lang ako habang iniinom yung vino! :lol:

But hey! I can do a review on the Port we had..... it was sweet and that's it. :lol:

wow!

that was one heck of a wine marathon last night :P  grabe yun ah - at saka ngayon lang ako nakaranas magpalipat-lipat ng venue to drink wine hehehe.....

ok...here goes: one NZ sauvignon blanc and one Aussie dry verdelho plus tons of sushi at a resto, an Aussie shiraz at the next venue, then the main event and showstopper California cab and a port at the last venue...

pareng storm and the missus - thanks a lot for the hospitality you showed for the lightning and impromptu WEB at your residence-cum-art gallery again..

pareng butch and ms. liberty - you never really get tired of us and those verrrrry verrrry late nights - thank you so much!!!!

pareng agxo - finally THE MAN! Pare words would never suffice to describe how we felt to have finally met you and to think that you barely had a rest since touching down here....thanks so much for the Niebaum-Coppola - it was all and more than we expected it - finally tasted the divine nectarine which we only read before from your posts. Thanks a lot, pare - I hope we see each other again soon and have a very nice trip!

to the divine Ms. L - so sorry we had to drag you out of bed but despite all the wines and food we had, the marathon would not have been complete without your presence which we miss so much...thanks a lot and we hope the winos would see you more often...

the wine reviews I leave to the experts agxo and masi because all I can say is that I enjoyed all of them because they are all first-rate and truly magnificent!

cheers!

Kanina rippling charm .... ngayon DIVINE naman! I feel like a spectre!!  :lol:  Bods my friend, I am not surprised that you get yourself into compromising situations here on the board because of that oh so suave tongue of yours! :boo:

:lol: :lol: :lol:  Hehe sorry just had to make that hirit! at natawa ako sa sarili kong hirit. Hahahahahahahahaha.

Kidding aside, no apologies needed.  Am glad I resisted Mr. Sandman who was trying to breakdown my door! :lol:  In fact I should be thanking you guys for insisting and being persistent because I enjoyed the night este morning so much and if anyone benefited from getting my fat ass dragged out of bed it would be no one but me!  So again thank you thank you thank you to you, Masi and Mr. Agxo3 for being so damn obstinate about getting me out of the house. :)

Masi and beautiful better half Liberty, thank you again for opening your lovely home to us (pati na rin wine collection at kitchen! haha).  Each invitation really is always a treat!  I know I've said this before but I so enjoy watching you two together .... reminds me of how good love should be between two people. ;)

Mr. Agxo3!  So honored to finally meet you!  And moreso priviliged to share that drop of Jove's nectar you brought with the rest of the Wino!  Thank you for lugging that bottle all the way from SFO.  Don't foget to post photos of your remodeled kitchen para may ending yung mala telenovelang kwento on it. :P

Mr. and Mrs Storm!  Always such a pleasure to chat with you two --- from art to music (hehe eh 80s kid tayo eh) to work to buhay buhay!  Am looking forward to seeing your art gallery home soon!  And pareng Storm, ehem yung gusto kong bilhin.... pa pm ang presyo para mapagipunan ko na! :lol:

Like Bods, I'm going to leave the tasting notes of the 1995 Coppola CabSav to the experts.  All I can say about my experience with this heavenly drop is:  once in the mouth it's as if its long legs had grown little feet -- a million tiny feet running wild on your tongue, tickling it delightfully while gathering in a circle.  Once in their perfect formation, these little feet stand still for a moment before jumping high up and float to your palate, embracing it with a blanket of velvet dreams.  Ayan ang ecstatic oral experience ko when I drank it kaya quiet lang ako habang iniinom yung vino!  :lol:

But hey!  I can do a review on the Port we had..... it was sweet and that's it. :lol:

Thank you all for such a wonderful evening/night/early morning!!!! I did have to get up at 5:30 so I could get together, packed up and breakfasted by 7 am when my ride for Baguio showed up. Then last night was another marathon of frivolity fueled by wine, although the wines were definitely forgettable. At least they weren't offensive.... :P So two nights in a row of just an hour or two of sleep. It's amazing what one can do even in a sleep-deprived state. I am back in Makati (the Pen has free Internet access! :cool: ), and tonight I crash and do some serious catching up on my sleep.

Storm and Mrs. Storm, Masi and Mrs. Masi - thank you very, very much for your hospitality and for opening your homes to me. And at such a late hour at that. Pareng Bods - the sushi was just awesome. Great, great food! and Ms. Lips - I am so glad you decided to have that cup of coffee and wait so patiently for us. I hope the wait was worth it. Extraordinary as the wine was, it was no match for the company and ocnversation. What a range of topics we covered, and what a surprise to see what a small world it really is.

Wasn't it amazing to see the wine change so much in the space of just a few minutes? From snooty and conservative to relaxed and velvety with a stop on the wild side along the way! And each stage an interesting and rewarding one. But, that's a '95 Napa Valley cab for ya!

Pictures of the kitchen will get posted when I return to chilly and rainy California. Whoever it was that said it never rains in California LIED!!!! :D

wow!

cheers!

Kanina rippling charm .... ngayon DIVINE naman! I feel like a spectre!!  :lol:  Bods my friend, I am not surprised that you get yourself into compromising situations here on the board because of that oh so suave tongue of yours! :boo:

:lol: :lol: :lol:  Hehe sorry just had to make that hirit! at natawa ako sa sarili kong hirit. Hahahahahahahahaha.

Kidding aside, no apologies needed.  Am glad I resisted Mr. Sandman who was trying to breakdown my door! :lol:  In fact I should be thanking you guys for insisting and being persistent because I enjoyed the night este morning so much and if anyone benefited from getting my fat ass dragged out of bed it would be no one but me!  So again thank you thank you thank you to you, Masi and Mr. Agxo3 for being so damn obstinate about getting me out of the house. :)

Masi and beautiful better half Liberty, thank you again for opening your lovely home to us (pati na rin wine collection at kitchen! haha).  Each invitation really is always a treat!  I know I've said this before but I so enjoy watching you two together .... reminds me of how good love should be between two people. ;)

Mr. Agxo3!  So honored to finally meet you!  And moreso priviliged to share that drop of Jove's nectar you brought with the rest of the Wino!  Thank you for lugging that bottle all the way from SFO.  Don't foget to post photos of your remodeled kitchen para may ending yung mala telenovelang kwento on it. :P

Mr. and Mrs Storm!  Always such a pleasure to chat with you two --- from art to music (hehe eh 80s kid tayo eh) to work to buhay buhay!  Am looking forward to seeing your art gallery home soon!  And pareng Storm, ehem yung gusto kong bilhin.... pa pm ang presyo para mapagipunan ko na! :lol:

Like Bods, I'm going to leave the tasting notes of the 1995 Coppola CabSav to the experts.  All I can say about my experience with this heavenly drop is:  once in the mouth it's as if its long legs had grown little feet -- a million tiny feet running wild on your tongue, tickling it delightfully while gathering in a circle.   Once in their perfect formation, these little feet stand still for a moment before jumping high up and float to your palate, embracing it with a blanket of velvet dreams.  Ayan ang ecstatic oral experience ko when I drank it kaya quiet lang ako habang iniinom yung vino!  :lol:

But hey!  I can do a review on the Port we had..... it was sweet and that's it. :lol:

Now, this would be a very tough one! Where do I start!!!! :blush:

Well, we all knew that THE MAN, AGXO will be in town this weekend! This got confirmed by receiving an sms while I was about to devour my lunch last Friday, lamb kebabs with a siding of grilled tomato, onion and red capsicum and some more onions with olive oil and crushed coriander seeds. Ever since I got the sms, a fury of sms followed to wine savvy regulars, Storm, Bods and the venerable Lipstick.

Fast forward, a late afternoon downpour or should I saw early evening, effected tremendous traffic congestion (add those millions of "slaves" errr workforce trekking to malls to spend the 13th, 14th, upto the nth month bonus!) :P

I met up with Agxo at the lobby of his hotel. Considering that this would be the first time I would be meeting him, how would I know who Agxo is? The answer is very simple... look for the man holding a bottle of wine!!!! :boo:

As we treaded our way to Metro Manila's best designer sushi restarant, Agxo and I had alot of things to talk about from his work where he jets to Taiwan more often he could unpack his suitcase, his kitchen remodelling and his outstanding wine collection.

We finally got to Omakase where my parengs Storm and Bods (and Mrs. Bods) were waiting. After the very brief introduction, as if we need one (since we share so much on this Board), we proceeded ordering sashimi and sushi.

There were salmon sashimi, spider, ebi roll, dynamite, jurassic sushi, tofu steak and beef-asparagus roll, washed down with Selaks Sauvignon Blanc 2003 Marlborough Premium Label, a symphony of citrus, grapefruit, honey dew in a light golden color. Lacking the the "fresh cut" grass flavors typically found in New Zealand sauv blancs. The next bottle was a Moss Brothers 2001 Dry Verdelho which my Pareng Bods have stashed away for a night like this. Well rounded wine. We had a view of Bods latest acquisition, a "sabong" artwork of a reknowned Filipino artist!!!

We proceeded to Storm's place where we met with Mrs. Storm. More viewing of artworks and wine, of course. Penfolds Rawson Retreat 2000 Carbernet Sauvignon. A dark purple velvety wine with rich flavors of dark berries, currants, smoke, licorice. Well rounded tannins. We left Storm's place past 12 midnight.

But, that's not the end... We proceed to Liberty's place and met with Lipstick. Of course this is the cap of a great night -- Niebaum Coppola 1995 Cabernet Sauvignon which Agxo had to handcarry all the way from SFO and standing the rigors of travel and swings in temperature. A true marvel to the palate - evolving every moment between sips and warm exchanges. This wine was elegant and smooth from nose to finish. Velvety to the palate.

We finished the evening at 3:30 a.m. after a few swigs of Offley Porto Ruby and some Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee (yes, folks, we still can survive late nights! A precursor to the "simbang gabi"! :lol: )

Storm, Mrs. Storm, Agxo, Lipstick, Liberty, Pareng Bods.... THANK YOU!!! What a great night of premium wines and warm and wonderful friends! :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by masi

I had a Chateau Saint Michelle (Californian) 2003 Sauvignon Blanc with mouthfuls of "Hakau", steaming and juicy siao-long-pao, stir-fry veggies with scallops and steamed pink spotted groupper.

Pardon the conventions, but I've been having sauvignon blanc in the last 2 evenings and it really goes well with seafood, in whatever size, color and taste, so to speak.

Edited by masi

Wow! You guys had a grand wine celebration! I'm amazed how you guys could still be active at 3:30 in the morning after 5 wines. I'd probably be snoring loud by the 3rd bottle. hehehe

Fantastic FRs from everyone!

Para hindi OT: this was a simple weekend, and since I wasn't sure of the preferences of our group, I got an ever reliable Montepulciano. Medium legs, very fruity, some light woody tones. Easy drinking. Of course this is nothing compared to the friday to saturday wine marathon! hehehe I guess no one made it to the Salcedo Saturday Market? hehehe Cheers! post-52300-1133841160.gif

Pwes wag tayo mag wine! :lol:  Tubig na lang. :upside:

Errr generally when women are celibate they become crabby kasi. :closedeyes: 

Eherrmmmmm matagal na kita hindi na bibigyan ng award Bods so ..... AWARD!!!!!!!   :lol:  May nalalamanlaman ka pang ripples of charm dyan.  The only ripples I know are the ones with dimples fast multiplying on my booty area! :lol:

Friend, hindi mura ang Tyrell!  Ayan baka bumili ka ng Tyrell habang may short term memory loss ka.  :ohmy:

p.s. Masi is right, white would suit seafood better and the sweeter rieslings are just perfect with mussels, shellfish, fish and CRABS!  :thumbsupsmiley:

There's a cheap Tyrell (well around P350 or so) that I bought before....

well, buti nga creating ripples lang yung ginamit ko - hindi making waves :P - in which case, Hall of Fame Award ako....ok gotta score a riesling for when I have crabs (crabs for dinner, I mean) hehe...

now for celibacy, why are nuns and priests not crabby? :unsure:

Mr. Agxo3!  This old hag is honored. :)

The Bods:blink:  Since when did Bods become an object?  Ooops I forget, object of desire pala si Bods dito sa MTC -- pinagnanasahan ng maraming gurlets.  :hypocritesmiley:

The Bods??? parang pangalan ng sculpture yan ah - sculpture of what - I don't know! :D

at kelan ako naging object of anything dito aber?? If ever, please give me the handles of those gurlets para ma-PM ko naman :evil:

para hindi OT - I again bought a Dunnewood at WD yesterday because it was still on sale :P

pareng masi wala akong makita nung Sparkiling Shiraz.....

well we sure were rewarded for our obstinacy (not obscenity ha :P ) and we all enjoyed each other's company through that looonnng Friday night....and excuse me, your charm is not spectral but very alive and full-bodied (ayan, para hindi OT - like the full-bodied Niebaum-Coppola which has now ceased to be a spectre of our collective wishes)....and yes, those compromising situations are just a pigment (being art-minded now, I'd like to think :P ) of your mind's colorful canvass...

:P

The Bods??? parang pangalan ng sculpture yan ah - sculpture of what - I don't know! :D

at kelan ako naging object of anything dito aber?? If ever, please give me the handles of those gurlets para ma-PM ko naman :evil:

para hindi OT - I again bought a Dunnewood at WD yesterday because it was still on sale :P

pareng masi wala akong makita nung Sparkiling Shiraz.....

They have it! It's close to the rack where they have the Banrocks! Did you see the Banrock in carton boxes. It's has the equivalent of 3 bottles for the price of 2!

How is the wine scene (if any) in the Philippines? I live in California (just an hour away from "Wine Country" - Napa and Sonoma), so we're pretty much inundated with fruits of the vine here. You pretty much *can't* get away from wine around here - be it American (North, South, and Central), European (French, Italian, German, etc), African (yes, they have very good ones), Australian, and Japanese (sake is considered a wine, per it's production process - very big sake revival going on for the past few years).

I've also lived on Long Island (New York) and have done weekly runs out to the wineries out on the forks as well.

I'm going to be visiting the Philippines (Makati / Manila) in a few weeks (after a 20-year hiatus) and am interested in hitting any local wine bars, sample whatever selections are available.

Any recommendations from this group? What to hit, where to go, what to avoid?

Ei guys. I'm planning to buy a whole box of red's for our family's christmas party and probably a few bottles of Asti for the new year. Any suggestions for the red? Something not too expensive (around 200-300/bottle), light tannins, not too dry, medyo on the sweet side. Thanks a bunch!! :thumbsupsmiley:

How is the wine scene (if any) in the Philippines? I live in California (just an hour away from "Wine Country" - Napa and Sonoma), so we're pretty much inundated with fruits of the vine here. You pretty much *can't* get away from wine around here - be it American (North, South, and Central), European (French, Italian, German, etc), African (yes, they have very good ones), Australian, and Japanese (sake is considered a wine, per it's production process - very big sake revival going on for the past few years).

I've also lived on Long Island (New York) and have done weekly runs out to the wineries out on the forks as well.

I'm going to be visiting the Philippines (Makati / Manila) in a few weeks (after a 20-year hiatus) and am interested in hitting any local wine bars, sample whatever selections are available.

Any recommendations from this group? What to hit, where to go, what to avoid?

Where to go --- (Bars/Shops)

Makati City - Cyrano on Carlos Palanca Street, Legaspi Village; Magnun at GB2; La Vigne in Yakal; Wine Bar in Yakal beside Santis; Premiere Wines on Pasong Tamo (near Ford)

Pasig/Mandaluyong - Barcino's Gourmet at City Golf Plaza, J. Vargas Ave; Wine Depot at Home Depot Center, J Vargas Ave; Churchills on Shangrila Edsa Hotel; Terry's at Lower Lobby, Podium Mall.

Clark - Yat's International at Mimosa Leisure Estate.

Where to go --- (Bars/Shops)

Makati City - Cyrano on Carlos Palanca Street, Legaspi Village; Magnun at GB2; La Vigne in Yakal; Wine Bar in Yakal beside Santis; Premiere Wines on Pasong Tamo (near Ford)

Pasig/Mandaluyong - Barcino's Gourmet at City Golf Plaza, J. Vargas Ave; Wine Depot at Home Depot Center, J Vargas Ave; Churchills on Shangrila Edsa Hotel; Terry's at Lower Lobby, Podium Mall.

Clark - Yat's International at Mimosa Leisure Estate.

Masi,

Thanks for the info. Agxo3 actually suggested that I PM either you or Bosi for such info :)

Either of you guys hit any / all of those places regularly?

Masi,

Thanks for the info. Agxo3 actually suggested that I PM either you or Bosi for such info  :)

Either of you guys hit any / all of those places regularly?

I would go around wine shops to "browse and buy" (story of my life), albeit I have yet to make that trip to Premiere which is quite out of the way for me.

We'll appreciate your PM. Have a good weekend!

Ei guys. I'm planning to buy a whole box of red's for our family's christmas party and probably a few bottles of Asti for the new year. Any suggestions for the red? Something not too expensive (around 200-300/bottle), light tannins, not too dry, medyo on the sweet side. Thanks a bunch!! :thumbsupsmiley:

your choices of wines in the price range could be quite "limitless". A good P200+ would be the Gran Tillo, a good table red wine produced in Chile (available in supermarkets like Unimart, Rustan's). At P300, you may want to visit Wine Depot. They would have 2005 labels that are within this range, but they might end up quite young.

As for the Asti, you may want to consider some Spanish bubblies or a sparkling shiraz at Wine Depot.

Hello winers!

We (me and my bride) had a great great time last Friday till Saturday dawn in the company of the thread owner, pareng Masi, Liberty, Lipstick and sulpot-bayan Agxo3. Many many thanks to all of you guys and gurlets. I am looking forward to our next pre-christmas eb.

:thumbsupsmiley:

Thanks Bods for your company at OMAKASE. :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley:

We'll be there next week with the kids. Promise. :D

They have it! It's close to the rack where they have the Banrocks!  Did you see the Banrock in carton boxes.  It's has the equivalent of 3 bottles for the price of 2!

ok I'll failed to check that out, but the Banrock's in boxes I've seen before na but the thing is, when I see wines in boxes I tend to not linger too much on the thing - so maybe that's why I missed the Sparkling shirazes :D

have you tried na that 3 bottles for 2 in boxes? parang yung mga Carlo Rossi na yan in jugs ah!

nakakanerbyos :D

anyway I hope you have a merry weekend, pare!

Hey there Autopimp!  Welcome to the thread!  :D  Yes, do spend more time here and share your wine stories with us. We'd love to hear them.

Cheers!

p.s.  Zins are lovely!  And I am like you --- I don't know my wines well, I just know the ones I like. hehe.

Thanks ..

Ok i'll be doing more readings here and more tastings back at the house .. :P

any suggestions to get good wines at reasonable prices? I got a friend who sells wines, you think its better to buy there or at the mall?

Edited by AutoPimp
Hello winers!

We (me and my bride) had a great great time last Friday till Saturday dawn in the company of the thread owner, pareng Masi, Liberty, Lipstick and sulpot-bayan Agxo3. Many many thanks to all of you guys and gurlets. I am looking forward to our next pre-christmas eb.

:thumbsupsmiley:

Thanks Bods for your company at OMAKASE.  :thumbsupsmiley:  :thumbsupsmiley:  :thumbsupsmiley:

We'll be there next week with the kids. Promise. :D

Hey Storm! What's that URL again for you your sculpture? I want to show it to my better (and more discriminating) half. Than also your Dad's work - is it on a Web site as well?

Sorry for the OT. So get back on track - went to a wedding Friday night. Lousy wine - except for the stuff we brougnt in - a '97 Niebaum-Coppola zin (smooooooooth!!!), and a '97 NC Cask Cab. Then there was also that '01 S. Anderson Syrah. Also very nice. But the big story is we went ot Lodi yesterday on the way home from Sacramento, and stopped by 3 different wineries - Jesse's Grove, Spenker, and Barhopld.

Spenker does ONLY zins from his own grapes. Nice 2002. Only available at the winery. I bought a bottle. It's got nicely integrated tannins - enough structure to last another 3 years before drinking. None of the characteristic pepper - felt a bit more like a syrah than a zin, but for the zin mix of black berries and cherries that just burst on the palate.

Jesse's Grove does a few more varieties, but I like the 2001 Carignane (drink now!) with nice bright red cherries and raspberries, a hint of smoke, a touch of apricot, some plum and a bit of black licorice. Great with everything except s ateak. Then there was the Petite Syrah. Wow! Almost black, very dense and rich. More tannins - keep for another year! Plums! Raisins!Blueberriies!?!

Finally, Berghold. Nice set of wines rangng from a very dry viognier - loads of fruit ont he nose but since it was quite dry, not on the palate. Rather, there was some tangerine, some pinapple, a dose of apricot, and a bit of butterscoth. The late harvest viognier, OTOH, was rich, unctuous (I've been waiting to use that word!!! :cool: ), and oh, so seductive. Honey and citrus. Cantaloupe and white peach. Pineapple and a hint of grapefruit. And a huge burst of Meyer lemon to balance out the sweetness. In between a competent merlot, a rather nice cab-syrah blend and plum bomb of a syrah!