• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pwede na, kasi mura lang yun. Mas okay ang Terra Vega

With 2-buck Chuck, you pays your money and you takes your chances. Some are drinkable (barely), a few are actually not bad, but most tend to be rather stinky. The reason is Bronco Wines (bottler of 2-buck Chuck) buys bulk wines from a variety of wineries, basically buying up their excess - typically the wines that the wineries don't want to put their name on - and bottles it. They blend by varietal - that is, all cabs go into a large silo with other cabs, syrah with other syrahs, etc. So even within the same vintage, you may get a good cab followed by a real loser, depending on when they were bottled. Cheap, yup. But this is a case of "you get what you pay for" - and no more, sometimes less.

With 2-buck Chuck, you pays your money and you takes your chances. Some are drinkable (barely), a few are actually not bad, but most tend to be rather stinky. The reason is Bronco Wines (bottler of 2-buck Chuck) buys bulk wines from a variety of wineries, basically buying up their excess - typically the wines that the wineries don't want to put their name on - and bottles it. They blend by varietal - that is, all cabs go into a large silo with other cabs, syrah with other syrahs, etc. So even within the same vintage, you may get a good cab followed by a real loser, depending on when they were bottled. Cheap, yup. But this is a case of "you get what you pay for" - and no more, sometimes less.

Hehehe. Miss your wines pare. When will you visit Manila?

The Chilean wines are quite popular for events here in Manila. Good value for less.

Hehehe. Miss your wines pare. When will you visit Manila?

The Chilean wines are quite popular for events here in Manila. Good value for less.

Chile is really coming up in the wine world. Even here, they're considered good value wines.

I hope to visit Manila later this year - before it gets too hot, I hope!

So it's like rolling a dice when you get to open one of these 2-buck chucks. Parang yung mga jug wines yata ito before, di ba?

Are they really still sold for 2 bucks?

So it's like rolling a dice when you get to open one of these 2-buck chucks. Parang yung mga jug wines yata ito before, di ba?

Are they really still sold for 2 bucks?

Still being sold for 2 buck at Trader Joe's. In New York, it's 3 bucks.

Jug wines are about the same price when you factor in the volume. A gallon jug is about $10, and that's 3.8 liters, or about 5 bottles. I think jug wine quality is actually more consistent - consistently mediocre, but consistent nonetheless. ;)

Still being sold for 2 buck at Trader Joe's. In New York, it's 3 bucks.

Jug wines are about the same price when you factor in the volume. A gallon jug is about $10, and that's 3.8 liters, or about 5 bottles. I think jug wine quality is actually more consistent - consistently mediocre, but consistent nonetheless. ;)

Jug wines!

I recall a party when someone brought over a 20 liter container of sasa lambanog! Good quality lambanog! And it cost less than gasoline! hehehe

Been drinking Lindemann's Cawarra lately. Relatively cheap but good enough for everyday drinking. There are two variants - merlot and cab sauv. and both are ok.

agxo

I wonder why they don't sell the two-buck chuck here. Logically it should sell here for about a hundred pesos. Even at two hundred that's still a bargain, but I guess you won't be caught buying it hehe. The nearest jug wine her I believe is that Carlo Rossi they sell in what I think is a 3 liter bottle? Yung may tenga pa. Sometimes I admit I'm tempted to buy it when I'm scrimping on money. But good reason still prevails hehe...

Floppy

Masarap nga yang Lindemann's Cawara. I remember about a decade ago, si Jacky Chan pa ang poster boy nyang Lindemann's. Quite strange I should say. Last Christmas I saw in Rustans a Cawara which came in what I think was a 1 liter bottle but which was priced the same as their regular 750ml. Mahaba pila so I deferred buying that day. When I came back for it several days later, ubos na! Sayang!

agxo

I wonder why they don't sell the two-buck chuck here. Logically it should sell here for about a hundred pesos. Even at two hundred that's still a bargain, but I guess you won't be caught buying it hehe. The nearest jug wine her I believe is that Carlo Rossi they sell in what I think is a 3 liter bottle? Yung may tenga pa. Sometimes I admit I'm tempted to buy it when I'm scrimping on money. But good reason still prevails hehe...

Floppy

Masarap nga yang Lindemann's Cawara. I remember about a decade ago, si Jacky Chan pa ang poster boy nyang Lindemann's. Quite strange I should say. Last Christmas I saw in Rustans a Cawara which came in what I think was a 1 liter bottle but which was priced the same as their regular 750ml. Mahaba pila so I deferred buying that day. When I came back for it several days later, ubos na! Sayang!

Bods, email me, please. Remember that idea I had a few years ago? It's back and a bit more alive. But I need a bit of information that I am sure you can help me get (or that you already know). Trying to line up a couple of local investors there to fund it. My brother will probably be our front man there if this works out.

agxo

Floppy

Bronco Wines knows nothing about the Philippines - they're concentrating on China. They also don;t discount 2 buck Chuck for overseas distribution - it's 2 bucks whether you buy a bottle or 1,000 cases. Strange......

Not familiar with Lindemann's Cawara - maybe not available here? Other Lindemann's labels are available here.

Went to Retzlaff winery last Sunday for Noah's zin and oysters event. 2009 Lake County zin barrel tasting prior to bottling around June. $140 a case - not bad! And the wine is quite good so I split a case with my brother. Oysters and BBQ tri-tip went really well with the zin. Then on to Boaventuras Caires where I ended up buying a bottle of 2007 cab from their upper vineyard and a bottle of 2008 Red Mutt (petit syrah, syrah, zin blend) that I opened that night to go with our roast pork dinner.

agxo,

Yes I will get in touch with you. Seems like your idea is getting more exciting through the years hehe. I hope you can work out something here. Kaming winos dito ang una mong customers.

Cawara is I think Lindemans' entry level wine. Maybe it's distributed only in Asia. What you have there is their Bin series, which also are very good value for money wines.

Wala na nga siguro talagang volume discount yung Charles Shaw. Mura na talaga at 2 bucks.

Kamoteng K,

You are definitely right. If you want to stay longer in the drinking and appreciation of wine, stay away from those P100 or P200 swill that masquerades as wine. Sakit ng ulo at masisira pa tyan mo pag ganun ininom mo. I know from experience hehe. Madaming ok na din sa price range na P350 - 400.

what swayed me into buying Rene Barbier was that it still came corked. I don't have anything against wines with screw caps. Experts say it makes no difference whether you plug a wine with a stopper like cork or close it with a cap. Maybe I just love to hear the cork pop as it comes out, or the smell of cork, or the tactile feel of cork. It helps that I have been collecting corks for the last 15 years or so for some nebulous future project of mine, but still I would have preferred it to some other wine closure, project or no project.

Therefore, of late, most of the wines I have been buying were Chilean or Spanish. My favorite Aussies almost all come in screw caps now.

Pag puro Australian wine nga nakita mong nakahanay sa grocery shelf, parang tingin ko mga bote ng toyo hehe.