Not always - I picked up a 2003 Hess Collection Mt. Veeder cab at my local Safeway. The one in Dublin, like the one near my, has pretty decent selections. Of course, they also have the swill that appeals to the unsuspecting, but if you take your time and pick carefully there are some gems there!

If I may add, there's Terry's and Premium Wine exchange, both of which are in Pasong Tamo Extension....

There's Terry's in Podium .... and another wine place at the Enterprise Center in Makati which I've heard of but never been to yet ....

and if you're ever near Clark Air Base in Pampanga, check out Yats Wine Cellars .... they specialize in rare and collectors' wines, mostly French from early 19th century onwards, including Premier Crus from the 2000 vintage :thumbsupsmiley: .... most of which they make available for wine tastings for a reasonable amount .... they also have a pretty good fine dining restaurant to boot...

As to the supermarkets ...... I got classified grand crus from rustan's back in 2003, including some from the great 2000 Bordeaux vintage which obviously they didn't have any inkling as to their real values coz I got most of them for less than 1K and the rest for less than 2K pesoses :) ..... also last Xmas season, Landmark at Trinoma was selling good Aussie wine brands and labels for less than Wine Depot's prices ..... that's why I don't count out the supermarkets just yet .... besides it gives me a reason to avoid just pushing the shopping cart around for the missus ;)

Adding Brumms Quality Wines for their amazing German rieslings. (#5 Julieta Circle, Horseshoe Village, QC)

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!!!!

Now, if you can't find good wines in Metro Manila still, then you have to bring your own from your stash!!!! That's what our fellow wine buddies, agxo and igol do when they fly south, not necessarily for the winter!

Don't forget to look us up for an EB!!!

Not always - I picked up a 2003 Hess Collection Mt. Veeder cab at my local Safeway. The one in Dublin, like the one near my, has pretty decent selections. Of course, they also have the swill that appeals to the unsuspecting, but if you take your time and pick carefully there are some gems there!

If I may add, there's Terry's and Premium Wine exchange, both of which are in Pasong Tamo Extension....

There's Terry's in Podium .... and another wine place at the Enterprise Center in Makati which I've heard of but never been to yet ....

and if you're ever near Clark Air Base in Pampanga, check out Yats Wine Cellars .... they specialize in rare and collectors' wines, mostly French from early 19th century onwards, including Premier Crus from the 2000 vintage :thumbsupsmiley: .... most of which they make available for wine tastings for a reasonable amount .... they also have a pretty good fine dining restaurant to boot...

As to the supermarkets ...... I got classified grand crus from rustan's back in 2003, including some from the great 2000 Bordeaux vintage which obviously they didn't have any inkling as to their real values coz I got most of them for less than 1K and the rest for less than 2K pesoses :) ..... also last Xmas season, Landmark at Trinoma was selling good Aussie wine brands and labels for less than Wine Depot's prices ..... that's why I don't count out the supermarkets just yet .... besides it gives me a reason to avoid just pushing the shopping cart around for the missus ;)

Adding Brumms Quality Wines for their amazing German rieslings. (#5 Julieta Circle, Horseshoe Village, QC)

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!!!!

Now, if you can't find good wines in Metro Manila still, then you have to bring your own from your stash!!!! That's what our fellow wine buddies, agxo and igol do when they fly south, not necessarily for the winter!

Don't forget to look us up for an EB!!!

Couple of wineries in Livermore are open this weekend in case you want to take alittle drive. Boaventura on Tesla Road/South Livermore Ave is ony open one weekend a month, and this is it! Les Chenes is having a food pairing to go with their Rhone-style wines. Shepherd's pie. Should be good! Hope the weather is decent for wine tasting.......
thanks for the heads up! i just might take a drive tomorrow. :)

Hey Igol! Did you go? I went to both Boaventura and Les Chenes but we didn't get to Les Chenes until 2:30 and Boaventura until 3:15 or so. Then we stopped at Page Mill on our way back to downtown Livermore. I still like Boaventura best, but for syrahs, Les Chenes is pretty good. Page Mill has an interesting zin but they weren't pouring it last Saturday.

Weather sucked - but at least it didn't rain hard. Just a slow, steady drizzle. Just enough to make you cold and clammy, but not enough to wash off the road grime. Yeccchhhh!

I was invited to the birthday celebration of my favorite political analyst at the Tin Hau/MOM.

Amidst the Chinese banquest served, we had several wines to wit:

Herederos de Marques de Riscal Rueda 2004

Marques de Caceres Vendimia Seleccionadas 2004 Rioja

Cotes de Rhone Pasquier Desvignes

Freixenet Cordon Negro Cava

We also talked about the ZTE/NBN, Jun Lozada, JDV Jr and Sr. which was fun and lively. Siguro dahil nobody takes this subject matter seriously anymore, except the Senate!!!!

Hey Igol! Did you go? I went to both Boaventura and Les Chenes but we didn't get to Les Chenes until 2:30 and Boaventura until 3:15 or so. Then we stopped at Page Mill on our way back to downtown Livermore. I still like Boaventura best, but for syrahs, Les Chenes is pretty good. Page Mill has an interesting zin but they weren't pouring it last Saturday.

Weather sucked - but at least it didn't rain hard. Just a slow, steady drizzle. Just enough to make you cold and clammy, but not enough to wash off the road grime. Yeccchhhh!

i didn't go. the bad weather kept me at home

good eve wine people medyo tamad na mag back read ung dom perignon ba is classified as wine? did i spell it right ba? tnx

Yup!

Dom Perignon is a brand/make of champagne which is a type of wine .... it comes in vintage (meaning all the grapes used in the wine came from the same year) and non-vintage (meaning the grapes used in the wine came from different years) cuvees :)

Hmmmm ..... what have I drank recently?

..... had a 2002 Robert Mondavi Private Selection Chardonnay brought in by my in-law from Napa .... he brought me 1 case so I owe him :D

..... and then a 2003 Mouton Cadet Bourdeaux which is the only big red wine I can rummage from the wine ref to go with the steaks my wife had to cook up in a hurry for some surprise dinner guests .... kulang pa kasi sa bottle aging yung brunello, shiraz at cabernet sauvignon ko kaya nanghinayang ako buksan .... kaya sabi ko sa guests, balik ulit kayo in 5 years' time! :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bump! :)

The winos must still be on vacation mode :P

What's d best wine for the Holy Week??

Since we abstain from red meat during holy week, I suppose the best wines to go with seafood and veggies would be the whites and light-medium bodied merlots and zins ....

As for me, I was able to sample the Villa Maria chardonnay and sauvignon blanc from Kiwi land during the holy week .....

Notes - pale to golden straw in color .... generally plum on the nose and then there is a distinct smell I can't place, somewhat oaky but metallic at the same time :P ..... dry, crisp, fruity, mildly sweet, a bit tangy, my wife characterized it as refreshing, nice finish wth lingering aftertaste of lime and plum (again) ..... overall, a nice go-to wine for impromptu dinners with friends .... easy drinking, unpretentious and light on the pocket! .... kinda reminds me of a Robert Mondavi Private Selection Chardonnay from the Central Coast, CA :)

Of course, Easter Sunday was different!

after a week without meat, I splurged on home-cooked wagyu steak and a big, bold 1996 Ceretto Bricco Roche barolo ..... sarap!

the barolo was so good I waived my share of dessert just to savor the wine instead ..... dessert, btw, was a big cake from conti's which my son almost singlehandedly finished :P

after lunch and a bottle of barolo (we opened 2 bottles, the other was a Barossa cab sau but I kept the barolo to myself hahaha!) 3 pm pa lang lasing na ko kaya natulog na ko :D

.... woke up the following morning and, as useless, late for work again! :P

• 2 weeks later...
Folks! Found another red from Chile- Cano Sur. For the price not bad- salut! :cool:

Had Cono Sur about 10 years ago - and as its name suggests, my impressions quickly went down south. Chileans when they make wine should be very good otherwise they turn out wines like these.

But hey! 10 years is a lot of time. Recent vintages could have improved.

Folks! Found another red from Chile- Cano Sur. For the price not bad- salut! :cool:

Had Cono Sur about 10 years ago - and as its name suggests, my impressions quickly went down south. Chileans when they make wine should be very good otherwise they turn out wines like these.

But hey! 10 years is a lot of time. Recent vintages could have improved.

sup? nice room... :hypocritesmiley:

eto masarap :upside:

hi there!

thanks for visiting the mostly-empty room now. Care to introduce yourself?

Your handle is interesting, as it evokes memories of one of my favorite books - THE DHARMA BUMS - by William Burroughs....

yes, vodka cruisers are yummy. Actually, it's not the drink per se that makes the beverage good or interesting. It is the company you drank it with that would make the drink memorable. Heck, you can even drink syoktong, but if you're drinking it with someone as lovely as the moonlight that peeks above the swaying palms over your head, you would remember it as one heck of a drink afterwards....

cheers!!!